Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meal Site

Posted by lcw1947 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 07 at 8:34

Each community has a Senior Meal Site that all are welcome to go to. I go as a guest of my mothers from time to time because I am not quite sixty yet. Soon, I will be. However, I want to share, that its a wonderful place to eat and to meet people. There are many couples as well as singles.

It's fun to interact with others. To listen to the adventures and trips they have taken. It's really great to focus on others rather then on myself for a half hour or so. Once a month they put out a news letter that details what is going on for the next month and the menu also. I keep it under my laptop.

I will say they are closed on weekends and holidays. The cost recently went up to two dollars and fifty cents. It is the best bang for the buck. Try it, you might like it.

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meal Site

I think the only way to get rid of this one is to submit a message..

o
Old Age

I got this in an email recently and really really liked it and thought that I might share it.....

The other day a young person asked me how I felt about being old. I was taken aback, for I do not think of myself as old. Upon seeing my reaction, she was immediately embarrassed, but I explained that it was an interesting question, and I would ponder it, and let her know.

Old Age, I decided, is a gift.

I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body, the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt. And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror (who looks like my mother!), but I don't agonize over those things for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.
I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?

I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60&70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not go ing to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like it)

o

Hey Linda, it's "old lady" me again...

If you are not sixty yet, why on earth would someone say that you are old. OK, you've had challenges, but to survive requires maturity and wisdom. Sometimes the effects are that your body breaks down, but if you take care of yourself, that's only for a short bit. Time is ageless and beautiful and wonderfully healing. Just from "listening" to your wisdom on this site, I know you've got it goin' on!! I would never have thought you to be a "little old lady". That person must think I'm old too - I'm only 53 - OK, add another 9 months. Glad I can still boogie with the best of them to those 60s and 70s sounds - some even older than that. Don't want to go back to that age - too confusing then, but boy I'm glad the radio stations still play that stuff! Get out there and struuuuut your stuff - keep feeling that wonderful YOU - Show um what you can do!!

Funny story - my Mom passed away at the age of 72 from the effects of breat cancer - survived 10 years between each episode and then lastly, bone and liver 10 years later. The funniest thing, she was a nurse practitioner, in college health and occupatonal health. Her last job was at the National Gallery of Art in downtown DC. Of course she ran into a lot of the staff looking for ways to go home for the day - don't get me wrong, there were great employees there. But it was like being at a camp full of teanagers sometimes - especially with the guards. They all loved her, and a few I think, even "in love", even the young 20-somethings. When she was on chemo, no one even knew; not even her supervisor. But the funny part was when people read her obituary, they, especially the guards who were closest to her, thought she was only in her mid forties, at the oldest. My sister and I got a kick out of that one!! We knew that the cancer treatments had laid heavy on her looks, but she still looked amazingly young - at almost 73!!

Anyway, take care all. I still owe and owe, so off to work I go in the AM. Gotta get ready.

Have a pleasant night!!

gng

o

ahhh, but I am 60 as of this last July.... The story that I posted was not to, of or about me. It was something that my sister sent to me.
Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here