Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What qualities do you look for in a mate?

Posted by Toni_KY (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 03 at 23:43

If you are looking for someone to share your life with, what do you look for?

I want someone who is self-sufficient, who can live without a partner but doesn't WANT to. (Make sense?)

I expect us both to work at least 40 hours/week at our jobs and if I'm running late, I want to be able to call home and say "Honey, I'm ruinning late. Would you start supper (throw a load of clothes in the washer, etc.)" without having to give specific directions as to how to turn on the stove (washing machine, etc.).

What do YOU look for in a potential mate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What qualities do you look for in a mate?

My list is long, but above all else, I demand honesty. Liars, cheats, those who break promises, those who pretend to be something they are not, are not welcome in my life. Once a person (family member, partner, friend, business associate or Prospect - anyone) has broken faith with me, they are wiped off the slate - for good. There are no second chances on this one.

The rest of the list consists of all the usual expectations, such as consideration, kindness, a loving and overtly affectionate nature, a ready sense of humour (but NOT a practical joker!), intelligence (which incorporates having interests and hobbies and can carry a conversation, as well as being reasonably well educated), a person with self-confidence (but is NOT cocky) and so on. At my age, I still want a partner with all parts in reasonable working order. And, something not so common in my age group, I'd like a partner who is house-trained!

o

A lot more then the first time around. But breathing would be start.LOL

o

Pros: Honesty, ambition, absolutely must love animals, good to his family, intelligent (but also able to be dopey), good listener and sharer, able to compromise, and the rest of the "standards"

Strikes: LAZINESS, self-centered, controlling, liars, cheaters, etc. etc.

o

someone who would actually like to meet me and not just exchange interminable email or phone calls would be a good start.

o

At the top of the list and not open to compromise - he must be considerate of others in what he does and what he says. I mean all others, not just me. A non-smoker; a non-spitter; clean shaven. Financially secure.

On the second tier - I'd prefer someone in my age group that I can reminisce with about the good old days. That makes him an old geezer but he should be reasonably healthy and enjoy being active. I like to go out for various entertainments; he should, too. And (tough for geezers) I'd like an equal partner in my golden years but I don't want to be a maid or a nurse.

A good sense of humor, formally or self educated, an inquiring mind. Someone who plays tennis and/or gardens or someone who enjoys that I do.

Someone who doesn't push an elevator button that is already lit would be the ultimate. That speaks volumes.

Teri

o

I like honesty too but men seem to be especially adamant about honesty. At my age, I have some history. At what point in a relationship do you tell certain things? I cant really think of anything specific but sometimes when you mention something down the line that the other person thinks is significant and you dont ("the prison years"~LOL just kidding) , they feel like you havent been honest.

My last date, I kept talking about how I loved to hike and dance (not necessarily at the same time LOL) and the man told me on the ride home that he had a wooden leg. He was a very nice man and I would have enjoyed spending time with him and continued hiking and dancing alone but he did not call again ~sigh~

o

I don't believe you owe some one an explanation of your former life. You HAD a life and HE had a life and unless it affects your future relationship (STD's or criminal records that may prevent travelling etc) it shouldn't be an issue. If you need to know all the past and you don't like what you here it's probably the end of what COULD have been a good realationship.

o

I agree that telling your entire life story is a not good way to get to know someone. For lots of reasons, one of which is that it probably wouldn't be nearly as interesting to the other person as it is to you. Another is that is would seem terribly self centered. Another is that they'd probably prefer to tell you their story. LOL!

But I don't think the fact that I don't tell everything I know makes me dishonest. I think it makes me wise. Why burden a new relationship with old baggage? If asked specifics, I would certainly answer truthfully. But I think the Army has it right: Never Volunteer!

Teri

o

I think that someone who is close to God would cover so many of the qualities in a man/person that would be good marrying material. If that person honestly wants to please God, then he is going to be honest, loyal, kind, generous, love animals, love his fellow man, etc. Other than that, I have always thought that an older man would be the best. I wouldn't want a younger one to later look at me as the "old lady". LOL I would want him to put me on a pedestal and think of me as his "queen". My husband calls me his "pretty baby". He is only 1 1/2 years older than me, but I wouldn't want him to be younger for sure.
Lu

o

I agree Lulie

younger men always think I should be flattered when they tell me the age difference doesnt bother them. I just pat them on the arm and tell them nicely " but it does bother me"

I want someone who remembers the same music and history that I do.

I dont know why I told that litte story about my date with the man with the wooden leg except that if I had known up front, the conversation might have gone in another direction. It was sort of bionic and interesting and didnt bother me a bit. That must be one of those things that its hard to tell..."hello. my name is Fred and I have a wooden leg".

I like a sense of humor and a kind heart. I would also like my man to think I am beautiful even if I am not. I find I like the look of a man if I like the man and good looking doesnt matter if I dont.

o

For a psychology class we had to come up with a list of at least 40 qualities we would like in an ideal mate. Mine ranged from trust worthy ro musically talented to being able to cook (well). What are some other qualities you had in mind that maybe aren't as obvious as honest, genuine, loyal, etc.?

o

Financially secure! Geeze you're all a bunch of shallow gold-diggers.

o

Well, Black1, you really know how to end a conversation!!

o

Financial security and/or commercial viability is as valid a "look for" consideration as any other, seems to me -- for either sex.

For myself, considering a middle-aged person and learning they have little property, trashed credit, and a load of debt would not be attractive to me. In my experience, such characteristics are often indicators of significant future trouble relationship-wise. I prefer people -- friends and prospecive SO's -- who manage their lives well. Finances are certainly part of that. I'm not hung up on "wealth" but I insist upon competence.

o

Hey people mess up and sometiems it takes them awhile to get back on their feet. I think you all are shallow and materialistic. And yes, I am pissed that chicks don't dig my broke ass.

o

I'll bet not too many others do either.

Best of luck in your search for deep, non-materialistic chicks that are willing to carry you while you're finding your feet. You obviously have a lot to offer.

o

What do women think I am, an ATM in a leather jacket? Yes I have a full-time job, yes I own my own home, no I don't have a lot of money, I am sorry if I dont fit into the little microcasm that today's women require.

o

We share your sorrow. But not your intellect.

o

I don't think he has any intellect to share!

o

Man, you guys are no help. And I am even a decent cook to boot. I'm not a loser, I just have no money.

The toilet seat is a whole other issue, I have my bathroom and she has hers.

o

"I'm not a loser...."

Fooled me.

o

If you have "toilet seat" issues, then you obviously have someone in which to have these issues. Therefore, why are you concerned with how you may or may not "fit into the little microcasm that today's women require."

o

I am saying it's a non issue.

Asolo - bite me.

o

I would prefer not to intrude on the fleas' territory.

o

Well, this forum is at least moving a little.

Blacknumber1 - are you looking to stay home, cook, clean and have dinner ready when the "little woman" gets home from work? Do you do windows, laundry and walk the dog too?

o

No, not really, I don't mind doing said tasks when the need arises. Right now my house is a mess because its only me living here and I don't care. There is a weight bench in my kitchen and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

o

WOW!Such a simple question, and such a variety of answers!
I think when your young you don't think about what you should look for in a realtionship. All there is is "love". However, as we get older and go through some really tough times and are treated really bad by someone you learn what kind of things you are willing to put up with! You learn that you have a choice! Whether you a guy or a girl? Right?
I simply want a partner. Someone to share things with. The good times and the bad. Someone who will work as hard as I do to have the things we want in life. Someone who will contribute as much as I do to the realtionship!

o

I like girls that weigh less than I do.

o

Blacknumber1 you are a hoot! You made me laugh, what a good way to start a day! Of all of the tings that people look for in a mate, I don't think I've ever heard that one before. Have a great day!

o

Sharon, I try.

Hey can I borrow $20.

o

No fat women, no poor women. What else?

o

I like girls who like horror movies, death metal and hanging out at Home Depot.

o

Dream date. Hopefully you'll find all you are seeking. Hopefully you've had a vasectomy.

o

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Dont worry I hate kids. And I think I have done too many drugs for me to worry about kids.

o

No horror movies, no death metal, and I love Lowe's, not Home Depot. I don't believe your as bad a guy as you try to make yourself sound like! And NO you can't borrow $20.

You are funny though!

o

Oh no I am every bit as bad as you think I am. Now I am off to smoke crack and worship S8n.

o

I totally believe you are as bad as you say you are....you scare me!

financially secure is a bonus, but I agree with asolo, be competent and have your finances in order.

dating sux! it's the same thing over and over again. I like going "solo"! It's less complicated, but I would like to have someone if....if only.

I'm sick of liars and cheaters like the rest of the women. Respect is right up there on the list. No whistlers, no smokers, and for gawdsake they have to have equipment that works and know how to use it well and in an unselfish way!

o

"I'm sick of liars and cheaters......etc.."

I'm familiar with the stories. However, be assured men haven't cornered the market on any of it. Self-interested opportunistic people come in every configuration. On the bright side, there are some awfully nice folks out there, too. Recalling an old Gerry Rafferty lyric: "After a while you get to recognize the signs. And if you get it wrong, you'll get right next time. Next time."

o

believe me I know women can be liars and cheaters too! it's sad that I fall in that gender...though far from that category.

o

Sad to be a good woman? Surely I've misunderstood. Be proud of it. The world needs more of those. Men, too.

o

yes, you misunderstood, i'm not sad to be a good woman of course, I'm sad to be within the same gender of the bad ones. Perhaps I could have wrote that sentance better, but I didnt'.

It's sad that people in general have to have all these bad qualities. My mother can tend to be a man basher and somewhere along the line I picked it up too....until one day when a male friend of mine said to me "why do you say those things, I've never done any of that to you" Ever since then I became aware of what I was saying and stopped. The fact of the matter is, for every negative thing a person can say about a man, it can also be said about a woman. We are different, we act different, we think different, we feel different. It's a fact.

There's this great book out called "what could he be thinking" by Michael Gurian. I think it's a great book for women to read who just cant understand why men act the way they do sometimes. It all boils down to the differences in teh make-up of the brain and of course the hormones.

It's help me a lot! I'm sure there are books out there for men to help understand women better to if any of them are interested.

o

*yawns*

*microwaves TV dinner, again*

o

if you're so bored with microwave tv dinners...again...why not try to cook something? you have the internet, look up a recipe and try to cook it! it could be fun! :-) you might learn something...you might even like it. Then when you do meet a nice girl who doesnt mind the weight bench in the kitchen, you can cook for her, she'll be impressed and wont care that you have no money. :-)

o

I hate cooking and I hate grocery shopping. If it was up to me I would eat out every night but its too expenaive.

o

What about a cooking class so that you might enjoy it more? There are usually single women there too!

o

No, I am too lazy to cook. I don't mind cooking when I have alot of time but I hate cooking when I am tired and hungry. Besides, classes cost money.

Im not cheap, I'm just broke.

o

You certainly have an excuse for everything. I give up.

o

I dont have excuses, I just have very limited resources.

o

Any recognizeable degree of maturity being among them.

o

I love how this thread has turned into "it's all about blacknumber1"

so it sounds like you just sit around and feel sorry for yourself becasue you have no money. you're too lazy to cook, maybe you're too lazy to go out and make improvements in your own life too.

what do you do for a living? do you even have a job? how old are you? do you have a diploma or degree?

o

I will answer your qestions in the order you asked them.

NOYB, yes, under 30, yes.

o

I think you all are being scammed - so called blacknumber is probably somewhere between 12 and 15 years old and enjoying being obnoxious and thinks it's fun.

o

SA Rose, you're probably right. Gosh, I hope you're right. If not, he's got more issues than Newsweek!

o

nope, I'm 25.

And you guys take everything here way way too seriously.

o

yer just an odd one, but 25 explains alot! you are the one who seems to be uptight about a lot of things....everyone else here has lived long enough to have learned not to take things so serious., some of us were actually trying to inspire you a little bit but i'm beginning to think you are bored out of your mind and here to f**k with us by making us believe you are some kind of freak....hey...maybe you are! :-)

o

Bored - yes.

A freak - yes as well.

o

hmmm.....yeah, well....good luck with that!

o

I don't take this stuff to seriously! I've been way swamped at work and haven't had a chance to log on lately. It's been a long week. End of the semester and students grades were due today. Now I can finally chill for awhile! You guys always make me laugh......

blacknumber1, it's simple if you are so unhappy with your life, change it! You can do anything if you set your mind to it! Think positive........

o

So, I am new to this organization. I joined after reading all of your postings about finding a good quality mate (which didn't really include many traits, but I still found interesting). I guess a more important question than that is... DO WOMEN REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY WANT? I was in the middle of having a conversation with my husband about our relationship when he said, "What do you want from me?" I didn't really have a specific answer. I couldn't find the words. We decided to work on one thing a week that each of us wanted the other to improve but I didn't even know where to begin. (Not because he's perfect, but because my list was so long.) Obviously, I need to improve on seeing his good qualities. But in the meantime ladies... What do women want?

o

Communication, compassion, truthfulness, respect, patience - you know, all the positive attributes a human can possess, and I want it RIGHT NOW!!!

o

Women want whatever their last boyfriend lacked...

o

Carla35...from my own my own experience, I'd stop with "women want".

If I'm to believe what I'm told, men are the same.

And the dance goes on.

o

Yep, Carla - you are right!

o

asolo,

I must be having a brain freeze day...not understanding your comments... can you spell it out differently?

o

My attempt at humor is apparently insufficiently clever. What I meant was that both men and women "want" things. Exactly what they want seems to me ever-changing depending on how the relationship develops. By saying "the dance goes on", I was referring to our never-ending attempts to couple up regardless.

o

"Communication, compassion, truthfulness, respect, patience - you know, all the positive attributes a human can possess, and I want it RIGHT NOW!!!"...LOL Jo!!....been reading a book "Why men don't listen and women can't read maps"...very entertaining...I'd recommend it, thus far.

o

Michael, why not give us a synopsis of what you have read thus far? I have wondered, for years, why men don't listen!

o

just to hold on to life and to share with someone.

o

Right, bookest. Very profound. Easy, too. If that's all you require, I guess anyone will do.

Why not hook up with blacknumber1? It's only been four years since he last posted and I'm sure he's still available.

Yes sirree....hold on to life and share. That's the ticket.

o

I am not looking for a permanent mate, but if I met a man that I wanted to date and travel with his financial situation would be very important for the reasons Aslo mentioned.

o

Financially secure - I don't think it's being a gold digger, but realistic, especially as you get older.

I met my (then) FH when I was 39; at the time that I met him, I also met a guy who said that he did "yard work" when I asked him what he did for a living. *Yard Work!* I mean - I imagined him in his high school letter jacket, trundling his lawn mower from house to house - at the age of 40! Maybe I read too much into it, but that sounded neither mature nor financially secure.

Now I'm married to dh; of course, I married him for reasons other than the fact that he is financially secure. But it means a lot to know that although we will never be wealthy, we will be able to retire in comfort in another decade or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here