SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joulesr4me

when is it over?

joulesR4me
19 years ago

So, how do you know when a relationship is over? Some friends have said, "when you stop having fun". But that doesn't seem right - lots of relationships have ups & downs, right?

So, I'm obviously looking for some advice ... and I guess I'll have to give you some info to get it! So, here it goes, in a nutshell (hopefully). Been dating a guy for about 8 months. Great guy - one of those salt-of-the-earth types. Unfortunately, our relationship has lots of unique qualities that add to the typical difficulties: age, finances, career development and education level being the greatest. Some of them are probably irritants for him, others for me. But none of those seem to get the best of us. Anyway, I keep holding out for "how great it could be once he gets established in Something". But, after 8 months, I don't know where we are. We talk a lot, but neither of us is ready for the L-Bomb. What's been getting to me recently are: girls chasing him, not moving forward, him feeling things aren't exciting enough (this is so far off - we're pretty physical, and we do tons of socialization), etc. I'm fairly insecure about the relationship now, but I don't exactly know why. I've been thinking of throwing in the towel, but just can't bring myself to do it. We have a great time together and are usually laughing all the time. I hate to give up on something that could be soooooo great, so I'm just trying to figure out "how do you know when it's over" and just to get out before you're miserable?? Is there some feeling? Or does that feeling have to be there for a certain amount of time? Can you recover from these insecurities? Should you know if you're in love w/i 8 months? yada-yada ...

Thanks for your suggestions & thoughts - sure will be appreciated.

Comments (8)

Sponsored