Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flirting?

Posted by Wings2W (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 05 at 22:40

Ok, I'm the first to admit I haven't a clue!

How do you men flirt? Women?

I'm not aggressive but found myself trying to find a reason to talk with this person again. Is younger by 5-6 years. I just don't want to read into anything that isn't there.

Thanks,

Wings

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flirting?

I was hoping someone would have given you some pointers. I could use them too. I had tried the online thing, but never had any good responses. Guess I was too honest in what I wanted. Only wanted someone who knew what a recipricating saw was and how to use it. Figured I would weed them out that way. I think I was too selective then. I wonder if there is a book out there for us who haven't dated since the 90's? good luck in your search...
Mike

o

Oh Wings --- I luv to flirt... but I'm always so afraid it will be misconstrued ... I just want to flirt. Nothing else! So, I usually only do it with friends - one's who are definitely not going to take it seriously (but, well, hopefully, find it flattering none-the-less). So, my kind of flirting might seem a little corny --- but it's among friends. Giving him the head-to-toe review, smiling from afar (sometimes with stupid wink), complementing him... awwww - this sounds a little silly. Maybe it is ... guess I don't do the real romantic type flirting.
And, who cares if the person is 5 or 10 yrs younger? That seems negligible to me. Course, I'm the one who was dating a guy 15 yrs younger - and I just can't shake him loose (but trying). Think about something to talk to him about --- anything! If someone wants to talk (and has the time), they'll converse and help keep it going. Good luck - have fun!
I'm anxious to see if anyone else picks up on this ...

o
not really flirting ...

Hey Mike - I know what a reciprocating saw is!!! I'd probably use the same "selection" process - but wonder if I'd get any better results. Seems that category might be a little too strict for male or female. Ha. I haven't dated a guy yet that could even begin to keep up mechanically. I'm starting to think that every guy born after the 1950's had a silver spoon in his mouth. Can't change the oil in a car, can't check the oil in a lawn mower, and cant put a gas grill together. Heck, I'll never even think of asking one to help me install cabinets, refinish floors or hang a sink. Geesh. I'd definitely not "all that", but come on guys ... do something!
Okay, sorry ... didn't know the mention of a reciprocating saw would get these emotions going.... On the flip side, one of my best friends just decided to paint one wall in her bedroom using a roller w/o a paint tray (????) and another tried to hang a 40-lb mirror using a little brad. NO IDEA. Yep, must be quite a supply of silver spoons around.

o

LOL Joules... I can do all of that. In fact one of my first jobs was working at wally-world putting together bicycles, gas grills, lawnmowers...The worst was the crappy furniture About a billion screws and none of the parts were ever marked.
I am not sure I could keep up with you, being a rocket scientist and all, but would be fun. A roller without a paint tray?? maybe it was one of those new fangled contraptions they sell on tv where it sucks the paint out of the bucket...
Shame you don't live closer.. could flirt with you. I do find that it is easier to flirt online than in real life. At least then you don't have to worry about the bad breath, wrinkled clothes, etc... I wonder if the people with the silver spoons ever wonder which end of the straw goes into their biggie drink???

o

"biggie drinks" riiiiight. Starbucks doesn't have biggie drinks .... and nope, just a typical roller for that paint job. Hey, I won't kid myself - rocket scientist or not - I'm just a common girl. Guess I just get my kicks differently than most of my friends. I do have one other girlfriend who seems to be cut from the same mold ... funny thing, my dad asked me if she was "butch". Yikes. Better keep my hair long and wear heals more often!

o

No rocket scientist here but I know about paint trays. I have changed oil, tires and even replaced motor mounts in my auto mechanics class for women. Not real big on tools but have decided I need a better sander for my projects. Wore out my mouse but can't be too heavy either.

We talked again today. He has a rental available and a coworker is looking for something similar. Will have a second, larger, when he gets his packrat stuff out. I offered boxes but he said, twice, what he needed was someone to light a fire under him. I get nervous and seem to talk a lot...which isn't my norm. We do have similar interests in a lot of things but he doesn't even own a computer! (I'd never write this if he did!!)

I know what you mean Joules. I'd like a friend and don't have any serious thoughts. I'm "old school" and would faint before I asked him to go and do anything. I can tease/flirt with my male friends as they know me and how it is intended. I'm above playing the dumb blond that needs help with things. If I can't do it, learn how, I pay someone.

Amywhoooooooo...he is going to be around for quite a while sorting, etc. Too forward to offer to help? I have a ton of things of my own to do too.

Mike I think you do just fine. :) I truly feel men are from Mars and women Venus. Powertoolgeeks tend to be a lot more masculine than those silver spoon guys. YA!

Wings

o

Well Wings, how is the flirting going? Is he responding? The old school way of thinking is great, but I can honestly tell you that it is a great feeling when the woman makes the first move.. Good luck..

Mike

o

Well wings ... you know what - the old school isn't what it used to be! Just remember that. Maybe the thought will give you a boost --- and I know what you mean about not having enough time to do your own stuff, let alone helping another. But, if you make the offer - he might just offer to help you out next time. And, if so, make sure you pick a project that needs some *man-power*!

o

Thank you my faceless friends!

He had all the hard things done but I've found a few "cosmetic" things. He seemed appreciative and I've just told him to help someone else one day in return.

Certainly a new experience for me. I haven't had a conversation for eons with someone outside my small circle of friends.

He's suggested, when he finishes, we take our bikes for a ride. ;) Progress eh?

Wings

o

Great job.. sounds like he is definitely interested. Good Luck!!

o

Thanks Mike!

Actually, he invited me to a street faire last night. We had a good time.

Slow is good.......especially after reading BarnMom's post.

Wings

o

Guess who's coming to dinner? ;)

o

Congratulations Wings.... I'm so happy for you.

What ya gonna cook?

Barbara

o

Just had some enchaladas.

Was a nice evening but I sure don't understand what makes guys "tick" or maybe just this one! Perhaps we're not supposed to know. LOL

o

Hey Mike, I got ALL the power tools in the divorce! (He moved into an apartment, I kept the house)

o

Cool, You still single? Can you send me a pic of the tools... lol

p.s. Wings, you tell me what makes women "tick" and I will tell you what makes guys "tick"

Mike

o

You first Mike. If you can stop thinking about PT long enough!

Wings

o

Ok, no problem... first things first, don't be subtle with what you want. Guys don't want to have to figure out what you are saying... If you don't want to go shopping for that new car part, powertool, etc... just say so. Also, if you want a back rub, just say it. Don't go for the "I worked hard today and my back is sore." Just say, "give me a backrub" Just remember... KISS Keep It Simple S.....

Okay, now your turn...

Mike

o

KIS S.....

Why not offer before we have to ask? A massage would mean a lot more knowing you really wanted to and not just because you were asked.
Teasing is a form of endearment. If we didn't like you/feel comfortable we wouldn't verbally tease you.

Wings

o

Okay Wings... I am dying to know...you been on a second outing with this guy?
BTW, I have just given a back rub for no reason at all...

Mike

o

Hey Mike....

If I'm clueless about flirting I'm worse about a "date."

Is it or isn't it? DUH! We've been "out" a few, maybe 3 times but I'm not even sure he considers it a date. We talk of doing other things in the future that we both enjoy so I guess that's good.

I am off this next week and am trying to gather my courage and ask if he'd like to go to the beach.

My membership is expiring so I won't be around too much longer. Poof!

Wings

o

Two day trip to the beach answers a lot of questions. All positive too I might add.

Wings

o

Way to go!!!!

Mike

o

Woo Hoo! :)

Kerri

o

Details?

o

Never underestimate younger men.

Possibly the most considerate man I have ever met.

Science teachers know a lot of things.

Shaving twice makes a man's skin ultra smooth.

Gentle hands make for great backrubs.

;)

Wing

o

Wonderful details... feels good doesn't it?

o

With all the talk about (a) power tools and (b) backrubs, I can't help but mention how good the vibes are from my DeWalt power sander. Just replace the sandpaper with a soft sponge or folded terry cloth. Feels good....

o

confusing conversations to an outsider
sander with soft sponges and terry cloth.. guess speeds up wood finishing.
Hand rubbed finish's have been portable battery powered automated.

Gimme a tool that says 12/2 extension cord required, or maximum pressure 125psi, anyday over those wimpy battery toys. And a real hand rubbed finish!

o

I never cared for flirting, either doing so or having someone flirt with me. I feel like Im being hustled when a woman flirts with me.

I always found the best way to meet someone was to simply be friendly with them. Smile at them, but make it a friendly, genuine smile and not a suggestive one. Be friendly, and, if you are lucky, become friends with them. If things go beyond friendship, it will develop naturally (hopefully). If things dont go beyond friendship, well, at least you have made another friend.

The best relationships were the ones where we were friends first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here