SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gerry1117

Coffee VII

Gerry1117
15 years ago

A warm HELLO to one and all,

It appears the old coffee shop thread has fallen by the wayside, so I take it upon myself to begin a new one. As usual, it is the place where good friends can sit and chat about something that may or may not significantly warrant a thread of its own.

So to any newcomers, feel free to talk about anything and everything (within the rules and regs of GW, of course) Let your mind ramble, reflect upon your life, your dreams, your hopes - whatever strikes your fancy. And if you aren't a coffee drinker, that's OK - imbibe in the beverage of your choice.

Yes, I'm back, at least for now. Of course, I haven't been too far away since I lurk now and then to catch up on things and see how everyone is doing.

I had some vague reason for checking the calendar this A.M. --Ummmm-- it is my birth date. Today I am exactly 69 1/2 years old - older (though NOT wiser) than most of you. Soon, I will be embarking upon my eighth decade. Sometimes it seems the years have rushed past as though they were quicksilver. Where have they flown? My mind keeps insisting I am still young, yet it fails to convince my body of the same. My hair is now mostly white, my age spots more prevalent. Yet, I still have this urge to hop, skip, run, jump, when in reality a sedate walk is about the most I can manage these days.

Life, despite its adversities, has been (and is still) good. Oh, I've "seen some sad times, been through some bad times", but thanks to the Power This Is, I have survived and hopefully have become a better person.

My travels this year have not progressed as originally planned, but I am still working on them. I have made several delightful journeys, none of which, dear eloise, has taken me to your fair state. That is on hold at present.

I must go now and update my profile page. I had been away so long I had forgotten my sign-in password and had to call on GW for assistance.

May all of you have a wonderful weekend.

Comments (61)

• sayhellonow
    15 years ago

Gerry, as I said, I'm new here so forgive me for asking: Are you a boy or a girl?

• Gerry1117
    Original Author
    15 years ago

say: This thread has been ongoing for a couple of years now. When it reaches its limit of posts (now 150, I think) someone always starts another one. It's really called the Coffee Shop then whatever number we are now on. I left out the word "Shop", and I am so computer illiterate I don't know how to go in and correct it.

Thank you, Jo, for being so kind as to not notice my screw-up.

Yes, I thought about just seeing if anything could be done to my old computer - but it was an Emachine (a reconditioned HP) to begin with. It lasted about 5 years so I guess I got my $'s worth out of it.

Had my first computer experience back in the early l960's. Those computers were about the size of a refrigerator and the system took up a whole room. In fact, the company I was working for at the time actually made an addition to the building to house the computer. Data was typed in, then all these little cards with holes punched in them came out thru chutes. Those little cards would hang up in the works sometimes and cause major problems. Perhaps that is where the term "hanging chads" originated??? The women were told that if they were going to work in the computer room they would need to be sure to wear cotton underwear - I presume that was to avoid static electricity. Wish I had taken some pictures of them. Who would have dreamed back then that the day would come when a computer could actually be held in the palm of your hand.

Also, back then, we had a machine called a teletype - forerunner of today's Instant Messaging, I imagine. The first one I worked on you just typed in your message and the other end read it as you typed it. (Later, we got a more updated version where one could type the message, go back in and correct any typos, then send.) We had a number of warehouses scattered about S.C. and Georgia. One day I got a phone call from our Darlington warehouse. The manager told me he was going to tear up my last message and for me to correct it and resend it. Seems I had sent it to Darling Wharehouse!! Yep, almost, but not quite! Bless his little heart, he likely saved me from a lot of embarrassment had the brass happened to read it.

Enough rambling...............

• Related Discussions

Orchid books

Q

Comments (28)
    Great thread, CJ. Your collection has me drooling. My list: Allikas, Nash- Orchids Allikas, Nash- World's Most Beautiful Orchids Black, Peter McKenzie- Orchid Growing Grove, David L.- Vandas & Ascocendas Kramer, Jack- 100 Orchids For Florida Kramer, Jack- Orchids For The South La Croix, Isobyl- Orchid Basics Light Marilyn- Growing Orchids in the Caribbean McDonald, Elvin- 100 Orchids For The American Gardener Mee, Margaret- In Search of Flowers of the Amazon Forests Motes, Martin- Vandas, Their Botany, History & Culture Noble, Mary- You Can Grow Cattleyas Noble, Mary- You Can Grow Orchids Noble, Mary- You Can Grow Phalaenopsis, Revised Edition Northen, Rebecca Tyson- Home Orchid Growing, 4th Edition Northen, Rebecca Tyson- Miniature Orchids and How To Grow Them Northen, Rebecca Tyson - Orchids as House Plants Orchid Society Of South East Asia- Orchid Growing In The Tropics Pridgeon, Alec- Illustrated Encyclopedia of Orchids Rittershausen, Wilma- Orchids Rittershausen, Wilma- Success With Orchids Schoser, Gustavo- Orchid Growing Basics Sheehan, Thomas- Ultimate Orchid Soon, Teoh Eng- Orchids of Asia South Florida Orchid Society Presents- An Introduction To Orchids: A Guide to the Growing & Breeding of Orchids South Florida Orchid Society Presents- A"Guide To Growing In The Subtropics, 3rd Edition Starosta & Paul- Orchids White, Judy- Taylor's Guide To Orchids Withner, Carl L -Cattleyas And Their Relatives Vol 1 Plus Ortho, Sunset, a sagging shelf containing back years of AOS bulletins (even after donating many to our OS) and a treasured Jones & Scully catalog. :>) I hope to add the remainder of Wither's Cattleya volumns to my shelf soon. And Oh! to have the Fowlie's. Sigh. Marci
    ...See More

List of Plants you grow in the Ohio Valley

Q

Comments (4)
    Wow, that's a lot of plants! I don't have a list of what I'm growing in my little gardens -- sometimes it takes me a couple of weeks in the spring to realize that that weird looking weed in the corner is something I've had for years. I just assume that more plants than not will grow in this area! One of the more unusual plants I grow is agapanthus. Not a particularly hardy variety, this was simply a florists' plant my mother gave me four years ago. But it's come up reliably every year for the past three seasons in Central Ohio. It's planted against a south-facing brick wall with excellent drainage, and apparently doesn't realize it's not in zone 8+ anymore! One of my mother's more spectacular plants is a 15 year old calamondin orange that arrived as a little "get-well" houseplant. It spends the winter on the unheated glassed in back porch in Cincinnati, and now stands over 6' tall in the pot, and is nearly 4' around. It always has flowers and fruit on it, and we've picked 200 ripe fruits at one time.
    ...See More

Unique Sunroom Help

Q

Comments (31)
    Makes sense @cali. I was thinking through that after reading up on circular rug placement and finding that it should be centered. I don’t think I’d want a table in the middle of the space either because it’d be in the way of the walkway. I’ll do some taping! In the meantime, I moved the chairs closer together and it feels better.
    ...See More

Wednesday's Brain Game---SOLUTION

Q

Comments (41)
    Justy?!?!? Never heard of it either! But I have heard of the others, so have no real excuse for the ones I missed, I just did. Still, fun trying to figure them out, and some of them were pretty clever - Saturn, ugh, should have gotten that one! For those wondering, Mercury was other choice for 10, but as it was a brand vs. a model, it didn't seem to fit with the others....although if I had gotten Saturn, I would have changed my mind! Tempo was pretty clever, but I didn't get it. Thanks, Jasdip - as poorly as I did, I still liked this one!
    ...See More
  • kayjones
    15 years ago

Ya, Gerry, I'd say you are due a new computer!

YOU can't correct the heading - only the admin. group could, and you would need to email them down at the bottom of this page by clicking on "contact us".

• Gerry1117
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jo - tried what you suggested - twice. Both times I rec'd a message saying if I had a question regarding plants, plant care, etc. etc., I would have to post to one of the forums. I clicked on the Contact Us and got a page showing email from me to GW and a place for the message. Guess they don't read them. :-)

sayhello - All Female - mother of 3 -- 2 living (my oldest son died in 1982 at the age of 21), grandmother of 2, ages 6 and almost 3. My son (2nd child, lives within driving distance, and is the father of my two grandchildren), and my youngest, a daughter, lives in California where her DH is on staff at the Veterinary School of Medicine at the University of California in Davis. Very gray, almost white hair, green/gray eyes, 5'7" (used to be 5'8" until arthritis made me shrink) Too bad it didn't shrink my weight!! Seems I just can't quite get down to a size 10. Widowed (seems like forever), live alone in the woods - really. I have two dogs for company - a great big 'un and a tiny yapper. I enjoy life immensely. Gardened up until last summer when I decided I would just sit back and enjoy all the things I had already planted, perhaps pull a few weeds now and then. When I get tired of pulling weeds I just call them wildflowers and enjoy them. Other hobbies: reading, writing, keeping a journal for posterity, traveling, sewing, crossword puzzles, fishing, camping, people watching, etc. I will be 70 years old in November.....Now you know me. Hi, nice to meet you.

Most of the posters on the Coffee Shop already know all about me, but this will save you from having to go back to old CS threads.

Now, who will post a picture for me if I email it to them? I can't get this posting pictures thing down. And right now, after having my own little wine and cheese tasting party, I know I would not be able to follow instructions. I do have albums on Kodak Gallery - lots of 'em. I used to say I didn't want my likeness posted here (or anywhere) but what the heck. I know what jo and eloise and tinman look like, so can picture them in my head when I'm posting, but they have no idea about me.

jo, have you heard how tinman's daughter's wedding went? Haven't seen any postings about it recently.

Early, but now I'm off to la-la land.

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Gerry, update on MICHAEL: I just spoke with Michael on the phone - the wedding is this weekend, he has family in town, says he's doing ok but ready for it to be over with. He said he will call me when he has more time.

Posting a picture is easy - just do this:

Go to the place you have it stored ie Kodak gallery

Bring the picture up so it's the only one showing (double-click on the image)

Go up to your address bar and left-click on the address - select 'copy'

NOW, come back to this forum, type your message and underneath the message type:

Notice the SPACE between img and src
    where the picture's address goes, right-click and choose 'paste', then close it with the quote and the right arrow

Your picture will appear within the text box.

Feel free to try it - if it doesn't work, try again!!!

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Well, shoot - won't let me post the string, so maybe I can post it here: img src=( )

You will put the left 'arrow' before the 'img'
    you will put the quotation mark before the first parenthesis and after the second one, then close the string with the right arrow.

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Here is a picture of me and Joseph, the graduate!

• sayhellonow
    15 years ago

That's a great photo, Kay. You don't look old!!!

Gerry, I think I would call your place in the woods "Paradise."

• kayjones
    15 years ago

I don't know - is 58 'old'?!

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Jo great photo of both of you! Re. 58 y.o. being old, definitely NOT Jo! If so, then my 63 would make me old and I don't feel it, and won't accept it, LOL!!! Gerry, and you will be 70 years young come November!

Gerry, don't know if this will help with posting your picture, and these instructions are for Photobucket. Go to the Garden Forum, then Brugmansia, to this post: "Tyler - large images - step by step instructions" (now on the 2nd page), you will find easy instructions on posting pictures. Hollar if you need help.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

BTW, forgot to mention that we are having some weird weather here. A few days ago, it was extremely hot; then a couple of days ago, we had spotted rain and thunder; this morning, it is raining! I hope the weather will be nice on Monday for a bbq.

• kayjones
    15 years ago

We are having rain here - not unwelcome, either! My plants are LOVING this cool and moist weather - they are performing beautifully!

• sayhellonow
    15 years ago

No, 58 is definitely NOT old! The only reason I mentioned that you don't look old is because in another post you said you had written my name down as Deb and it was probably because you're old. But you're not - LOL. In fact, just looking at the photo I'd say you look about 40-something.

We have had a lot of rain here too in the past few days. But we'll take it over the snow any time. We had snow just two weeks ago. One day the high was 93, the next day it was 63. Yuck.

• Tinmantu
    15 years ago

Hi all...just checking in....and recovering :) Here's a link to some pics from the wedding. Hope everyone is doing well!!...I'll look back in soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wedding Pics

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Hi all - trying to check in, again. I posted a couple of times but I don't see the posts. Guess I said something wrong. I hope not though because I really wanted to say what a great picture of Jo and Joseph!! Jo, you really don't look aged either!! Congratulations to both of you by the way. I've had the posting problem several times here, and even on another Forum. Boy, I hope I haven't been a naughty girl. I didn't get anything from the "Top" saying so, so hopefully it's just a glitch. Anyway, hope everyone enjoyed the Memorial Day weekend - it was beautiful here!! Eloise, thanks for the "tribute" thread. Great reminder. Gerry, good to hear from ya and thanks for starting CSVI! SayHello - hope all is well with you!! Michael, as usual, great shots. I know you are so proud, and I guess pooped as well. Good to hear your friendly "voice".

Hopefully this post will show up - take care a

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Good morning, everyone! I finally got home around 11 pm with the grandsons - wow - what a day that was!

Mary, as Michael said to me: "Jo, "the refresh button is your friend!" LOL Did you hit the F5 key to refresh/reload the page after you posted?

Michael, those are terrific pictures - thanks for sharing them with us!!!

• Gerry1117
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Michael - How does it feel to be a Father-in-Law? Great pictures.

And now I'm going to try it one more time - no, no, not getting married - just posting a picture!!!!
    {{!gwi}}

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Gerry - you are LOVELY!

• Gerry1117
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Didn't realize it would be this small. Click on picture for larger view. If I keep trying, perhaps I'll finally get it right. BTW, this was taken from the porch of a B&B up in the NC Mountains when I was there last month. It overlooks the little town of Waynesville, which is blurred in the background.

Murphy is driving me crazy trying to catch a moth that got inside the house. I just hope he soon catches it before he decides to jump up on my keyboard. (Murphy is my JR/Chi mix mutt who suffers from ADHD!)

Cloudy, cool day - never got out of the 60's - after a high of 89 yesterday.

It has been a good day for reading though.
    I'm 100+ pages into "River Run Red" by Andrew Ward.

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

No Jo, didn't do anything different - sure puzzles me. Like I said, it's happened about before - about 3 time recently. Hope it's just a glitch. When it's half past dark and I'm drunk with sleep but still want to say Hi to you guys, it's not good to have to think about what I was saying all over again - LOL...

Gerry - another warm face in the bunch. That's a great pic of you. You just look sooooo relaxed and happy!! Thanks for sharing. Murphy sounds like a real character, but probably good company.

• Gerry1117
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jo, gng, thanks for the compliments. It just happened to be the most recent picture I had. The photographer (my sister) would not let me do anything to my hair and I was having a bad hair day, and my face was still a little puffy from taking steroids a week or so earlier.

Yes, my little Murph is quite a character. He makes me laugh a lot. My other dog, a large Collie, tolerates Murphy. The collie walks, looks, and acts like royalty. They are both so very special, each in his own way, and are some of the best company one could have. When I want to travel, it becomes a problem at times. A few places I visit I can take them with me, other times I have to board them with a Vet friend or hire a house/dog sitter. Since I live in a pretty isolated area, I'm glad I have them. They are both very protective of me.

This is one of those nights when I'm staying up late - mostly due to the fact that I got in a couple of naps today and am not really sleepy......That's one of the advantages of living alone - being able to keep strange hours without disturbing anyone else. On the other hand, snuggling with a dog is not nearly so nice as snuggling with warm male human body. KWIM? Do we ever become too old for that? (You'll have to ask someone older than I am). I miss that sometimes. Most of the time, though, I am perfectly content with things as they are.

It is now past the midnight hour. So before I turn into a pumpkin, goodnight, all.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Finally able to catch up a bit!

Jo, sounds like you are having a wonderful time with your grandkids, but you might need a vacation once they are gone, LOL! I love my GKs but sometimes they wear me out, although I tell people, they give me the exercise I need, LOL! Our rain is now gone and I hope we don't start having that horrible hot weather again.

Michael, what wonderful photos of your DD's wedding! Your DD and GD are so beautiful, and your SIL is very handsome -- I wish them all the best. You have great humor in how you posted that first pix of those two drinking out of those huge glasses, and then you duplicated the scene, LOL!

Gerry, you did it; you posted your first picture! Nice to connect a face with your postings. You did it perfectly, i.e., a clickable picture. This helps those with dial-up to be able to click and see a larger picture without it taking too long to load up. I also learned that when I post the "address/link" of the photo and then delete the word center in the beginning (surrounded by those pointed brackets - sorry can't think of their name and found that I can't post the word center with the brackets to demonstrate because on preview, it disappears and just leaves a long space) and then again at the end of the link, it flushes the picture to the left instead of being centered. I like that, an ADHD dog!

gng, good to hear from you. Don't know what the problem might be with trying to post and not able to. Don't you just hate it when you've done a long post, and then lose it!!

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Yes, they do wear me out, but that means I sleep well at night - a rare thing for me.

Type your posts into wordpad and THEN copy and paste them into a post. I learned this the hard way!

• Tinmantu
    15 years ago

Thanks to all!....My brother did the photoshop of us sitting side by side, so he gets kudos...others may not have seen it as I added it later. Wish I could say the ordeal is over, but sometime this weekend we get to do the final tally, as all weddings seem to go over budget. Oh well, almost all over anyway. I may add more pics over the weekend so that I can send links to family that wasn't able to make it. Hope everyone is having a great weekend. The heat (and a/c season) is on here, finally. (yuck!!!)

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Hey guys - I am just soooo excited. My nephew is published!!

I haven't read the book but I've seen the website - what a handsome guy! Charles (we call him Chico) is my sister's eldest. I used to babysit him when back in the day when I was a "housewife" (boy I could use a few of those days again). Anyway, we always tease saying he is my child but my sister carried him for me, because he and I have a lot in common - the dream of writing is one. And he did it!! Take a look - hope you enjoy. Also, please excuse my elation about my personal stuff, but I am oh so proud!!

Hope all are OK -

Oh yeah, gerry, I'm with you on the snuggling part. I JUST had a conversation with someone about that same thing. I think I want to get another dog (had to give mine up when I was TDY for my job for almost a year). But I want one that is housebroken - of course. I'm not ready for that training bit again. I just want to snuggle, since like you, ain't no one here either. I know about those strange hours too. Check out the times of some of my posts. Bad part - sometimes they probably don't make much since - LOL.

Sending hello's to everyone else. Jo, thanks for the tip - I may need instructions on that (go figure). Hey Michael - welcome the heck back Kid!!

later...; and enjoy Chico's book!!

gng

Here is a link that might be useful: Chico's book

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Oh, he IS handsome! I don't like 'scary' stories, but from the little I read, it sounds intriguing - I hope he get's a million sold! Congratulations to you AND him - that's quite an acomplishment!!!!

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Thanks Jo - not my favorite because Cheryl is my darling daughter for sure. But he was the first of my Mom's grands, and so, was born before Cheryl. My ex and I really do feel like he was ours since he was with us so much. His younger brother is doing OK too. He is a personal trainer and owns his own gym. Plus, he has a pretty sophisticated music studio in the house. He is a self-taught music writer and composer. Of course it's mostly stuff of his age group, but he's booked at a lot of places with older patrons. He loves rap but his words contain some pretty sound messages. He did a song about Cheryl too.

Thanks for your sweet response - it means a lot coming from you. By the way, you can bet, it can't be that scary. Chico is VERY spiritual and won't go but so far. AND, since it probably has a lot of his younger years it the story - it ain't scary!! But, he does like Steven King!!

See ya!

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

gng, how exciting for your nephew and your family! I too would be very extremely proud. He is indeed handsome, and I wish him great success in what he loves doing.

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Mary, if Chico models his writing after Stephen King, he's right on - it PAYS well to be scary in SK's experience - may Chico be as successful!!!! It sounds like success likes your family!

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Thanks Eloise - and you too Jo, for the SK comment. I never knew he liked SK until my sister told me about the book. Yeah, ALL the men in my family - both sides are pretty cool. They have some "issues", but I think that's because they are just too darned smart. Chico and Michael seem to be OK - so social issues, thank God for that!!

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

This sure is a quiet site! I know everyone is busy with stuff as I am, but thought I would just post a greeting.

Happy Father's Day to Michael, Gene and any other dad surfing this site!

I don't like "scary" books or movies so never read any of SK's books, but I just finally got around to reading the excerpt from Chico's book - interesting gng!

Be well.

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Hi Eloise - glad to see your face in the place. You are right; we are kind of on the slow side again. Thank you for your "review" on the excerpt from Chico's book. I haven't ordered on yet but the publisher sent Chico a copy. It is awesome!! It really is a book - how exciting. Chico said he chose this publisher because of their reputation with developing the great covers and presentations. He had a hand in it all but they gave him lots of advice. Yep, I'm a sooper-dooper proud aunt!!

I'm joining Eloise to say Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's - hope you enjoyed your special day!

gneegirl

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Greetings all,

Nothing happening here, but just wanted to stay in touch. It's been so hot here that it is miserable. Although we are in a drought, I keep watering my plants daily to keep them from dying. Coming home last night around 10 PM, my car registered 102! I have never experienced it being that hot at night.

Being jumping between two books: Lee Strobel's "A Case for Christ" and Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth, Awakening to Your Life's Purpose." It's not working out very well, LOL, so I better stick to one book (Strobel's). In what I've read so far, I've concluded that Strobel writes about my God, and Eckhart writes about "the universe" as if that is God. Just my opinion.

Have a fantastic weekend!

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Eloise, it seems I always have two or more books going at any one time - one to read when I go to bed and one when I am in the throne room!

I guess I didn't have any idea it got that warm in California - it's hot and sticky here at only 84 degrees!

I hope you find more Maxine cartoons to share with me - they sure make my day!!!

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Hello everyone - just checking in to say Hi. Actually not a lot going on here except more T-storms with LOTS of rolling thunder and lightening. I had some landscaping work done today by a Mexican family - seems like they do EVERYTHING!! They did a beautiful job, including the Mom. She was so pretty and such a sweet person. I fixed them lunch on the grill - burgers, mac salad, chips, sweet tea and cake. It was nice to have someone else to prepare something nice for - although it was just burgers. But, they sure were good!

Update on the job situation - my boss got fired last week and the next day,they fired an Admin that had been with the company for about 5 years. Instead of training her for a new position, they kept her in the Admin position but she rotated between all the departments to try to get some skills. We all know her boss did not like her and it finally came to a head. My department tried to hire her for a Jr. position but we didn't have the budget. She has 2 young girls (they are just too cute too!). I think she will get another job soon because she is Admin and there are more of those jobs here than a lot of the professional ones. Here's hoping...for her, and for me. I don't think my job is really safe just yet. I'm going to start looking, just in case.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well. Have a great Monday!

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

I was gone from the house for two days, and yesterday eve when I returned, my yard really needed watering. One of my brugmansia's leaves were all shriveled up and off my brug! Guess this one couldn't take the 109 temps. Around 9 PM, the electricity went off. I opened up the front door and windows hoping for some cool air. Around 11 PM I closed the front door and the electricity was still off. Think this has to do with overload, i.e., too many people using too many appliances at the same time. During this time, must be the ac.

Jo, that Maxine is something, isn't she? Did we conclude that it is a man writing all the Maxine's?

gng, congrats on your 'new' yard! You are so sweet for doing that for them. I hope the job situation, for both you and that lady with the two kids, turns out positive. It really sucks when they have someone over you with power they don't deserve.

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Knee, we will be sending positive thoughts out to you - if you want to keep your job, may that happen - if you want a NEW job, may that happen!

Eloise, yes - Maxine is the creation of John Wagner - Gary and I met him back in the late 80's, when he was drawing caricatures for $5.00 - he did ours and I still have them - amazing artist!!!!

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Thanks you two - you are always the bright sunshine on a cloudy day. All seems to be working OK - my manager even thanked me for stepping up during this time. She is out of the office for 3 days and I'll be working alone. There is a lot of work going on so we'll see what happens.

BTW, I LOVE Maxine - she (he) is such a character!

Have a good one...

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Wow Jo, what a wonderful keepsake, i.e., the caricature Wagner did of you both!

gng, sometimes I get Maxine jokes sent to me on a regular basis, but lately, it's been sort of dry. Maxine certainly is a character. I love the bluntness of some of her sayings, LOL!

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Ok, not trying to be sacrilegious here, but I really hope someone is building an arc!! Boy is is raining!! I don't see dogs or cats yet, but I'm sure they are next. The thunder sure is ROLLING pretty scarry. I'm sitting right by my French doors and the the lightening looks like it is coming into the house!

We've been having a lot of these types of storms lately. I'm not sure why, but we haven't had as much flooding as in the past. With all that has been happening in the rest of the country, I'm not looking for it, but I'm pretty sure we need to start preparing - the Potomac is right on our shores in VA. When it has flooded, we don't get like the mid-west since it's not as flat (I guess that's why).

Anyway, the power is still up so I'm posting here instead of rattling my knees (or worse) - LOL.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

CS sure is dead. Oh well, but I see there are other posts in the Single site -- that's good!

gng, hope your weather has settled down.

Been busy, working a part-time job from home, but still have to go to the office every once in a while. Today, went to church, then to a luncheon at a friends house. We had a wonderful shrimp salad, cantaloupe, watermelon, and I took two bottles of Abor Mist, Zinfandel (sp). None of the other ladies had tried it before so it was a great surprise and they enjoyed it. It's got such a small amount of alcohol that no one was affected (buzzed), but still very nice, cold drink that went well with the salad and fruit.

• Tinmantu
    15 years ago

The tinman checking in here...been laid up for the last couple weeks from on the job injury...doc thinks it's a torn rotator but things seem to be moving slow on comps end....stirred the pot on Friday, will see what happens.

I am engaged now. Miss New Jersey has put her house near the beach up for sale and is moving here on the 20th of this month. No wedding date, just promised her we would be married before we were 70. :) Have a feeling it will be before then, but there are other details that it couldn't happen tomorrow even if we wanted it to. She does make me happy and that's what counts.

I'll be looking back in. Take care, my friends.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS Michael! This is such very good and exciting news. My advice: Best to do it sooner than later. It's great to be loved, your lucky man! May you two have many, many years of great happiness.

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Michael, Michael, Michael...!!!

Hey Big Guy!! Had to sign in to extend my bestest wishes for you and "Ms. New Jersey"!! Not sure when you will get this message, but 4 whenever you do, please know that I wish the both of you a wonderful rest of your lives, together!! I am so sorry about your shoulder. Not sure if you remember my talking about it, but I went through some terrible times with my shoulder after a fall. Funny, you must have been on my mind because it has been hurting quite a bit over the last two days. OK-don't get excited; I was doing a lot of stuff I shouldn't have been doing for about 2 weeks. Anyway, rest that shoulder - that's important. The right type of exercise is best too, though.

Yeah, keep checking in, even when you aren't single anymore. I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed "meeting" you - and the rest of the gang here too. But it was those old "Rants" from a few years ago that really had my sides cracking from all that laughing I was doing. I didn't know you guys then, but now that I've met you (pl), I'm so glad I kept checking in here, to hang out with my new friends.

Say hello to the new lady of the house, from me. She must be pretty special to have you come out of that "man-cave".

Oh, BTW, thank you so much for all of that advice about my camera purchase. No, I don't have one yet - been lazy and the urgency has kinda disappeared (the kitchen). But the info you provided really did help for when I do get around to getting one of my own.

Take care of yourself!!

gneegirl

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Since we've managed to slow CSVII down to a slow crawl, I decided I needed more company. So, I have a new best friend. She is a chocolate Chihuahua. My neighbor's daughter named her CoCo and so far she if responding. CoCo is about a year and a half old (I think) and is already housebroken - Battle one conquered; YEAH!!!

It's taking some getting used to because I haven't had a dog around here in about 3 years. It's easier since she is so small, and she loves to go riding. I'm always going somewhere so I'm glad for that.

I finally had a chance to take a day off from work (although I just got a call today that they have fired someone else in my department- YIKES!!), so I'm spending it mostly ouside with CoCo, which she LOVES.

Anyway, just sharing my new friend. Hope all is well with everyone!

gneegirl

• kayjones
    15 years ago

This couldn't have happened to a sweeter man - Diana is a LUCKY WOMAN! Michael, JUST DO IT!

Mary, enjoy your new-found friend - I don't know what I will do when my beautiful fur-baby goes over the rainbow bridge - I depend on him for so many things, but especially his unwavering love for me.

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

"JUST DO IT" - yeah Jo, that sounds like a winner. Besides, what's it going to change, other than whatya get at the end of the day. I think at our age, if you have good companionship, and you take care that you don't pick up any major problems, or leave any on your partner for that matter, JUST DO IT. What's it going to hurt as long as you you are happy, you get along, and the family is happcool with it. If you can respect each other's space and habits, I think that's the greatest way to go.

Michael, again, best wishes!!

Thanks Jo too RE your comments on my new toy. I've been through loosing a few of them and it's not a great thing. When I had to put down my daughter's cat, it was especially tough. She got sick one day and the next, she wasn't going to make it. W had her for more than 17 years!!

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Mary, I know that pain - I've never had to put one to sleep, but have had a beautiful g. shepard pup killed by OUR OWN car - he jumped out the back window (and under the rear wheel) when we were pulling into my mom's driveway - ex-husband had to shoot him - horrible!

My ex had to shoot another beautiful german shepard because he bit a young neighbor girl - he was tied in the yard - she came up to him - but the authorities were going to kill him if my ex didn't - another rotten deal!

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

OMG Jo - both, such sad situations. My CoCo almost bought it yesterday herself though - at my hand!! I had visited a neighbor for her little one's Bday party - was only gone about a half hour. When I walked into the house, she was walking across my kitchen counter!!!!!! I was so shocked, first at her being able to jump that high, and then at the fact that she did. I had never heard about a dog doing that. My cat did that ONCE (that I know of). Put it this way, she didn't want me to see her doing that again. CoCo is about in the same boat. I doubt she'll ever pull that one again. I try not to get after her so much because I can tell that many a newspaper has been hurled at her. But, there was NO excuse for her being on my kitchen counter. I'm still amazed at that one though. Oh well, tomorrow is a work day - let's see what happens. Luckily I only live about 7 miles away and can come home during the day.

• kayjones
    15 years ago

HOW on earth did she get up there?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths