Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barbara Wa-Wa

Posted by gneegirl (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 22:37

Anyone watching Barbara Walter's special on aging? Very interesting stuff. I hear so much of this talking with my sister that I really wasn't going to watch. One of the guests will be talking about reservatol (sp) and my sister was telling me about that a long time ago. Supposedly, it keeps the bad cells from matastasizing. The one thing this show is confirming, I should have gone to Med School!!! I was so excited watching them create new organs and cells. I'm not so sure I'm OK with the creation idea as much as "fixing" or rebuilding. I know that if my ex's mother was living today, she probably wouldn't have died when he was 6, from cancer; my mother either. I would love to be able to be on the cutting edge with being able to help people more productive for their entire lives.

Oh well, just some of my thoughts...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barbara Wa-Wa

I didn't watch it, but I just started reading the book from Drs. Roizen and Oz, "You Staying Young", and that's also interesting. It's not so much that I want to stay young, but I do want to have a fairly good quality of life as I age.

o

I tried to find a book on aging and there are a lot of them out there, but they were all about "fighting" aging. I just wanted to know about the problems of aging. So I would know if my aches and pains are natural part of aging or if it's something more serious. For instances I can walk for miles, but just getting out of a chair or sitting down is a problem and I won't even go into kneeling....ugh.

about the show I don't watch TV anymore except for movies.

o

BJ, I don't watch tv, either, unless it's Andy Griffith, Mama's Family or Blue Collar Comedy - if it ain't funny, I don't need to see it!

No, aches and pains are NOT a normal part of aging. It could be an injury or arthritis, which manifests itself in a number of different ways. If you are hurting, you need to see a doctor - simple as that! You are too young and too active to be having pesky pain - go get it checked out!

o

A lot of those "old-age" aches and pains can be avoided through prevention, just by having good nutrition habits. For a lot of us, it may be too late to avoid the pains, but there are things that can be done to minimize prevent worsening of the pain. Jo is right; if there is pain, it is definitely time to visit a Dr., if for no other reason than to establish a baseline. But if something really is wrong, it can be helped through early remedial treatments.

My body feels like I'm 80 years old, but I have an 80 year old aunt that acts like she is 30. She is JUST starting to have stiffness when getting up from sitting a while - the ole Uncle Arthur. But I've known from a very young age that I've had arthritis - just didn't know that the spread could have been reduced through proper nutritional (not just dieting) habits.

o

At my last job, I had a resident who lives in her own apartment, does all her own housework and shopping, will be 95 years old - she still drives, is active in the Red Hatters Club, crochets, knits and sells baby items to supplement her social security check.

She also has a small alterations business, and keeps busy altering the garments of the other residents who gain or lose weight! LOL

She is funny, happy, healthy, weighs about 85 pounds, stands about 5', and is a real spit fire - everyone loves being in her company. She is an example of how it is 'supposed' to be.

She has never smoked a cigarette nor drank alcohol, but loves sweets. She is an excellent cook, who cooks for everyone in the building! Again, I think it's good genetic makeup that makes this little lady keep going!

She credits her quality of life with good genes, having lots of love in her heart, not judging others, not having a temper, not rushing to do anything and living 25 years in the clean air of Alaska!

I had another resident who lived in her own apartment, in our facility, until she was 102. She continued to be active, but fell over a throw rug, and ended up in assisted living. She died at the age of 103. She always said she lived so long because she tried to be nice to people and lived a god-fearing life. She also said it could be genetic - her son is nearly 80!

If you have any stories of friends who lived a long life, share them - it gives the rest of us inspiration!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here