Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Child Abuse via Political Philosophy

Posted by Mary_ (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 20:40

Hi everyone,
I am not posting this to get a rise out of anyone, but I find it simply awful. It does not matter to me what someone's politics is. The father lashed out at his duaghter during and after his messy divorce. This "father" basically treated his own daughter as if she were his wife by justifying his abuse of her with Objectivism (Ayn Rand's philosophy). I feel very sorry for this young woman. Please read it and comment. It is not the politics, it is the father who is blinded by his own selfishness and anger towards his daughter's mother. The link below is on Salon.com

Here is a link that might be useful: How Ayn Rand Ruined My Childhood

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Child Abuse via Political Philosophy

I think the title of the article should be, "How My Father Used a Novel as an Excuse for His Own Behavior." You are correct when you say this is not about politics, and that the father is "blinded by his own selfishness and anger." I never cease to be amazed at the lengths people will go to in order to not take responsibility for themselves. Ayn Rand wrote a book describing her own beliefs; what the reader chooses to do with that is up to the reader.

To use another example: Say that another father reads a story about a jungle adventure, then goes to the Amazon and gets killed by a poisonous snake. Did the author ruin the life of his children? I think not. Or -- if a father reads a mystery in which a murder is planned and executed, then goes out and commits murder himself, does it mean the author has ruined the life of his child? No, it means the father has ruined the child's life.

I've read "Atlas Shrugged" twice. It is historical fiction -- a romantic novel with fictional characters, and based on what Rand believed about the free enterprise system after having lived under Communism. Authors do that all the time -- for example, Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn, Daphne DuMaurier, and Shakespeare.

o

Substitute "Religious Dogma" for "Objectivism" and your research horizons will expand exponentially.

In the greater scheme, Ayn Rand is a drop in the ocean.

o

A big "amen" to that, Asolo. I saw the movie tonight. The scenery was beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here