Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What have you done for a living or did for sustenence?

Posted by Tinmantu (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 04 at 19:54

If I were to go back, there was probably an introduction thread somewhere way back, but I thought I'd add a new twist and start this one.
I'm basically a jack of all trades type of person....over my 28 or so years of being in the working world I've been a carpet\tile installer (3 yrs), a drywall hanger (7 yrs), a chemist at a refinery (2 yrs), a construction supervisor (3 yrs), a farmer and stockman (toughest job of all of them, but maybe the most rewarding) (5 yrs), and now in the HVAC business designing and installing duct systems now for 8 years...to quote the Grateful Dead...what a long strange trip it's been

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What have you done for a living or did for sustenence?

Waitress, bookeeper, office manager, house cleaner, accountant.

More, but thunderstorms on way.

o

tinman you set me off on a memory trail. When my girls were small, I worked at anything that I could do in the hours I could get someone to watch them. I waitressed, cleaned motel rooms, worked in a nursing home, clerked in grocery and department stores, delivered newspapers, worked in a shoe factory, a pantyhose factory (remember Little Prunes?), was receptionist for a real estate company, addressed envelopes, cleaned houses and did contract cleaning for the phone company and other businesses....... whew! Some of those jobs I have not thought about in years. I was usually doing two or three at once.

It was not a bad life. My girls seem to understand the value of work, and my life is easy now.

o

LOL... very little that earned me a "living".

I worked in a hardware store, farmed, and was cook to carhop at a couple restaurants... before I dropped out of highschool and joined the military.

After college I cleaned telephone buildings, worked at Burger King, taught at the local University, worked in a print shop, worked in a plastics factory, worked as a Social Worker, tended a gas station, farmed some more, worked construction, and those are the "jobs" I can remember. Lots of work that never paid a dime! These days I make steel transmission parts for a living and do a little farming on the side.

Most of the time I've had to work two jobs because I didn't have a "real" job.

: )
michael

o

Writer/editor my entire career.

Started out in a newspaper, went to a magazine with a 1.5 million monthly circulation, went to a financial institution, then went to a high-tech as a technical editor. Now I'm with the same company but with a different organization writing and editing a newsletter for our group.

o

Hmm... age 16 - waited tables.
Tutored and worked as a laborer to office manager in a state park during college.
After college - taught school (mathematics) for about 3 years.
After having enough of teaching ED/LD boys (12-18) that threw chairs at tme - I gave ut all up for a pay cut but a job in computers. Been in the computer industry ever since, but with two different insurance companies, UPS, a biomedical cryogentically preservied procurement company(body parts for future transplant), and now a major law firm. Love what I do - just not necessarily where I work... not to offen anyone, but attorneys can be a pain in the a$$!!!!

Barbara_Tampa

o

bookeeper,,,,,,how i don't know. can't add 3 and 6
babysitter
hairdresser
waitress
sold wearever teflon pots and pans
sold for M&M Mars
sales rep for a wallpaper company.
now i collect social security disability

Linda in Tennessee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here