Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Single Parents?

Posted by darkeyedgirl (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 03 at 9:22

I'd like to start a little thread about single parenting. I know I'm not the only one in this forum... so start spilling!

I have one child, age 6, girl named Emily Rose. I would have loved to had just one more child but it was not possible due to health reasons. So my daughter has cats and a dog as "siblings". I prefer dating men who have kids. There is something so utterly loving about a man who will use his T-shirt to wipe his kid's nose and think nothing of it!

What issues have you found in the dating scene, as a single parent?

Have you given up hope to finding someone for yourself, a mate, friend, companion, lover?

Would you prefer to let your child pick your next relationship (if they are old enough), or would you just rather be alone and/or date without the child involved?

All these questions so early in the morning... =-)
- darkeyedgirl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Single Parents?

Single mom to Daniel, age 12, and Alice, age 10. Haven't dated even once since the demise of my marriage. I do find that most men my age have grown children and aren't all that interested in the youngins. I got a late start.

I can't imagine including my children in my dating life should I ever have one. They really wouldn't want to be involved or know anything about it. They have a great dad who is very involved in their lives.

To quote George Costanza, the character on "Seinfeld": "I can't imagine a scenario in which I will ever have sex again."

Eileen

o
RE: Single Parents?

Single mom to Mara, age 12, and Kayle, age 9. I've "dated" very infrequently since my divorce. It's seldom because my non-work hours are spent with them (taking them to music, gymnastics, school functions) or with other family members. I'm just not meeting single guys that are in their late 30s or even early to mid 40s. All the men I'm around are usually married.

Eileen, you're very lucky that your kids dad is involved in their lives. Unfortunately (or maybe not), my kids dad is not in their lives. He hasn't seen or spoken to them since Christmas '97. I've actually had guys apologize for my ex.

I'm actually much happier being alone with the girls than I was married to my ex. I think one reason is that my mom raised both my sister & I to be very strong women. Not feminist, but just strong & resilient.

Another thing for me is that I don't want to get married again just to provide a dad to them (although my 85 yr old grandmother would). They do need strong male role models, but luckily my dad & BIL have been outstanding.

The last time I did date (one of my old friends from college) the girls were ready for me to marry him & everything. They both really liked him. We'd plan things to do both with just the 2 of us & all four of us. When/if I do date again, I'd like it to be the same kind of involvement.

I haven't given up, but I'm not out there pounding the pavement either. I'm optimistic, but I know that I'll be happy within myself if I don't. Hope that makes sense. :) Sorry, didn't realize how LONG that was....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here