SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisyduckworth

Too much of a good thing

Daisyduckworth
20 years ago

Have any of you ever broken off a relationship because the other party was TOO good to you in some way?

I had a long-term partnership with a man who bought me chocolates every single day. I'm very partial to chocolate, and at first I thought I was in 7th heaven. But when I began to notice that my image didn't fit into the mirror all at once, I asked him to stop. He didn't. So instead of eating it all, I began storing it in the fridge. He got deeply offended, but kept buying more. So I asked him instead of chocolates, if he could buy me some other little gift - like flowers, or a magazine or something. He didn't. And I went to great lengths to tell him I appreciated his kind gesture, and explain that a person can only eat so much chocolate without spreading like an ink-blot. It all fell on deaf ears.

Eventually, I left him. I realised that he just wasn't listening to me, on this subject or on any other. He made major decisions without consulting me, didn't want to discuss any small or large issues. If he didn't have a problem, that problem didn't exist. In short, he thought only of himself, and his chocolate buying wasn't to please me at all, but to make HIM feel good! He didn't care one jot that I was unhappy with my weight-gain. It was just a cover-up for all the other problems he couldn't address.

I have to say I miss him. And I miss the chocolate. But I don't miss the fact that although I was getting larger and larger, he still made me feel invisible!

And to prove that he was solid ivory from the neck up when it came to relationships, on the day I moved out, he gave me an enormous box of chocolates as a parting gift. Believe it or not, we are still friends, but he doesn't buy me chocolates any more. They go to his new lady, who is now twice the size she was when he first met her - and unhappy about it!! Some people never learn.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida