Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first-ever watercolor painting

Posted by kayjones (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 08 at 19:19

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first-ever watercolor painting

Wow Jo, is this what you have been doing lately? Pretty nice. I used to do acrylic painting, but got away from it. Don't know why I did being that I thoroughly enjoyed painting.

o

Jo, that is gorgeous! That should be the 1st thing you put on the truck!! It looks like that $100 stuff they sell in BBB. Did you frame it yourself? hmmmm, new career???

It's so good that you are doing this - for yourself, and also for others. I keep telling you how big your heart is, and this just adds fuel to that fire! Way to go, Kid!! Keep up the great work.

o

Thank you! I just attended my first class at the senior center yesterday afternoon. I have never held an artist's paint brush nor drawn a picture of any kind. I just had a great instructor!

The frame is a mat and frame I picked up at the thrift store for $2 - I am totally in love with this new hobby, to the tune of $47, spent at Hobby Lobby, for supplies! LOL I have to stick with it long enough to at least use up these new supplies.

o

That's what happens Jo once you find a new hobby. You go out and find all these new 'must haves' for it. I found painting really relaxed me, which surprised me because I thought it was just too slow for me, and slow things stress me out, lol! BTW, what is the flower? Couldn't tell if it was a ground orchid, daffodils or some other flower that grows around your area.

o

It is supposed to be a dogtooth violet.

o

Good deal Jo. I'm not too familiar with dogtooth violets, but they look pretty. How often do you to to art class?

o

The class is held once a week - Thursday, from 12N-4. I have gone to one class (last week) and will go again this week.

Dogtooth violet (Erythronium dens-canis) is native to Europe. How it became one of our most beautiful wildflowers, here in Missouri, is anyone's guess!

o

Very nice, I have always envied people with that kind of talent. I think it would be very relaxing. the American doctor I met in the rain forest does water colors and I have two of them. A doctor and artist and author.... WOW!

o

B.J., I don't think I have any 'talent' - lol - I just did what the teacher told us to do, and NOW, I can't STOP! I have painted a robin and her nest, a hummingbird, a bouquet of tulips and a sprig of apple blossoms.

I have NO IDEA what I will do with all these amateur sheets of 'fine art' - ROFLMAO - guess I will leave them to my children to line the bottom of their birds' cages!

o

A wild flower, pretty neat! Jo, you really got into painting and I think it's great. Sometimes, we think we can't do something, but once you try it, you learn the little tricks that make it easy.

o

Eloise, it isn't easy for me - I am kinda, sort of a perfectionist - I see things as either black or white - no gray in my world - therefore, my creations are not 'realistic' enough imho, even though my teacher tells me they aren't suppose to be realistic. I just have to work on liking 'impressionistic' art.

o

Wow! You're talented! I would definitely pay for something like that.

o

Ha, I have been accused many times as seeing things only in black or white, no middle ground! I know what you mean. When I was taking art classes, I would do my best to make the picture very realistic, but tried to get away from that as I really like abstract art. There were a couple of classes I took where we used black chalk (messy, but I loved the way you can use it). This one male instructor did a set up of rocks and about 2-3" plastic pigs on a white board. It was amazing to capture that setup with the light coming from one direction and the shadows casted by the rocks and pigs -- very abstract! Think my funniest experience was when we had a live male model. It was so funny how each student drew that model using black chalk, e.g., there was this guy who drew the model from the front and I told him his looked like a fetus! It really did, and we were using something like 24x36" paper, and this guy only drew towards one corner about a 4" very dark, full frontal picture! Another student drew the head and chest and spent all her time making individual chest hairs! This female instructor was very blunt and called those that didn't use the entire piece of paper or were too shy and only drew the top half of the male. We also had a couple of female live models.

I don't have any paintings to show because eventually I got rid of them all or tried painting over the canvas and screwed them up. I've also done quick background (stage) pictures for our vacation bible school, which range anywhere from 6'x30' and 15'x10' -- if I find pictures, I'll scan and post. Have done pictures on bedroom walls when my grandkids were small, and also would do something according to a theme my DD would do for my grandkids birthday parties, e.g., this one Batman for my grandson's b.d. with a cut out face. Each kid got their picture taken and their name printed on the photo as a souvenir to take home. It's simple, but the kids were impressed and that's what counts!

o

I love your poster - what a cute idea, too! Please do share your pictures if you run across them. Yes, people are odd - our forefathers' Puritanistic upbringing has spanned over the generations, so that anything to do with human anatomy is 'dirty' instead of natural - very sad!

o

Kay being a perfections is why I don't paint, not even a piece of pottery. I am satisfied with my embroidery, I am doing a table cloth now uhh and have been for the last 10 years. LOL I do the old fashion type, not cross stitch. I also do tea towels when I can find some decent material. It was good therapy when I was married.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here