SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Job vs social connections

lpinkmountain
18 years ago

I'm being laid off from my current job and have been offered another one in a different region of the country. My healthy aging parents live near where the new job would be located. Where I live now I have a network of close friends and a few relatives who have given me a sense of belonging to a "family" for the first time in my adult life. I have no children or SO. But I haven't been able to find a job here, prospects are uncertain and the new job offer seems as good a prospect as I'm likely to find immediately. I was wondering how some of you out there feel about balancing work and social connections? I've moved and changed jobs about every 2-3 years and I think it has greatly contributed to my single status. I've settled down for five years twice, I'm right in the middle of the second time. Only after the first two years of relocating and starting a jew job can I start to look out of my immediate survival needs to have time for major interests outside of work. I can't seem to break the cycle since my field is not an economic necessity/priority. I'm middle aged, and the path of least resistance for finding a job is sticking to my field. I wish I could switch to something more stable, yet I don't have the money to take time out from working to retrain. Each time I start a new job I don't have the time until the initial two years of estabishement are through.

I don't have a lot of money to be out of work for a long period of time. One of my friends who is in the same field as me took 7 months to find a job and it is just doing landscape work and he's still looking for something back in his field, a year and a half after he was laid off. Another friend said it took him two years to find a job after he decided to leave his old one. Both these guys had wives to support them during the transition. How much would you risk for a circle of beloved friends? And how much do you think your career has influenced your single status?

Comments (6)

Sponsored