Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going to the Dogs

Posted by Sienna_98 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 11, 05 at 8:53

It seems like there are a number of dog people on this forum. Tell me about your dogs. What do you have and do you participate in any activities with your dogs?

I have 4 Australian Shepherds (1 is a foster). They are
Sienna - 9.5 y/o (herding, frisbee, agility)
Jack - ~9 y/o (chore dog and rally obedience)
Annie - 4 y/o (herding and agility)
Captain - 14 month foster (herding)

I also have 1 Livestock Guardian Dog. She is a Maremma mix (I can't spell the mix part). She is 9 months old and weighs about 100# ;) She lives with the sheep and her job is to protect them from predators.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going to the Dogs

I had a registered Golden Lab for 10 years, had to put her down 4 years ago because of stomach cancer...never saw fit to replace her. I inherited my daughters cat and she lets me live here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speaking of going to the dogs

o

I love dogs but have not had one for years. I keep looking at Papillions. A sister had one that came to live with me for a couple years and was a delightful little dog. Growing up I raised Lab puppies to donate to a Leader Dog for blind people program. All I had to do was socialize them as they grew up and then the hard part... send them off to school never to be seen again. I named them all Amos so after awhile I could not separate one from the other in my memory. I still "speak" Lab and can pant and snort a decent conversation with most any Lab I meet.

My cat Yoko would not take to having a dog in the house. My favorite cat died in January and Yoko likes having me all to herself.

: )

o

I have two cats, and my boyfriend (who doesn't technically live with me) has a thirteen year old Shetland Sheepdog. The cats like my boyfriend OK, but really wish he'd leave the furry thing behind. Overall, though, Andrew is a fine dog. Though he can't hear anymore and he still chases cats and sleeps on my feet.

o

Yay for all the dogs!!! Okay, and for the cats too. I have two whippets: 3 yr femal and 5 yr male. They're both from the same breeder - who raises them for herself (not a high volume breeder) esp for lure coursing. My little girl was born with only one eye and loves to run, but isn't too keen on the lure (as they say). Last time I took her racing, she ended up running into the woods, chasing grasshoppers instead. It wasn't good for the race, but the fun that she must have been having made my heart swell. I've only had my male for six months - and he's very "active" - maybe more than I barganned for. He suposedly didn't take to the racing either (competitively wise)- but seems to enjoy a good chase for the fun of it. I'd like to do more with them - hiking or agility, but there just doesn't seem to be enough time. Especially when the days are still so short. Maybe this summer will bring a few more activities.
I'd love to have 5 or 6 more dogs - whippets or greyhounds, terriers, whatever. But I probably won't get there.
They certainly are good companions though - and I probably spend more enjoyable evening with them laying on me than anything else. Sad, but true.

o

I don't think my cat has ever seen a dog. She probably wouldn't like one as she doesn't care too much for other cats inside.

Guess WHO is sitting almost on top of me. Time to eat!

wing

o

Thanks so much y'all for sharing the stories about the animals in your lives. Even if they aren't dogs. ;)

Actually, I have two cats, but the dogs definitely rule whatever room they are in!

Tinmantu: so sorry to hear about your Golden. The grayer mine get, the more I become aware that they are here only temporarily. I had to put my last livestock guardian dog down this past summer at age 4 1/2. That type of decision never comes easily, but I think it is one of the greatest gifts we have that we can spare our pets unnecessary pain.

Bunnyman: I used to have a Papillon. They are powerhouses in little bodies. Taz weighed 7lbs, but he ruled the roost. Not a dog came onto the property that he didn't instantly let them know who was KING. It was hilarious to see him herding goats. They were absolutely terrified of him. I think they just couldn't figure him out.

CarrieB: A 13 y/o Sheltie, wow. Surely those cats can outrun a 13 y/o dog! ;) Nice to know that they can get along. Sort of. lol

JoulesR4me: I can envision greyhounds and whippets enjoying a good snooze on a lazy Sunday afternoon, but terriers? no way! I always tell people that greyhounds are cats in dogs' bodies. :)

Wing: My cats are more ferocious about their mealtimes than any of my chow hounds. The dogs might occasionally give me a pathetic look and throw in a whine now and then, but the cats YOWL if they think I've forgotten their dinner. No question. Cats eat first in this household.

o

Surely those cats can outrun a 13 y/o dog

Oh yes, they surely can. They are just highly perturbed that they have have to.

o

i have given my cat (Pepper) the title of Loyal assasin and bodyguard .
Zeek

o

I have a 12 y.o. Rottweiler that was a rescue at about 18 months. He lives in the house and sleeps on the bed. Needless to say, he doesn't do any tricks. I'm grateful each day he wakes up.

o

Cats definitely come in all kinds. Mine are wimps for the most part (certainly not assassins!), although it did not take them long to realize that my oldest dog is very respectful of cats and so if she's the only one loose in the house, they'll stroll past her just because they can. ;)

I swear their favorite pastime is to get between me and whatever book I'm attempting to read. LOL

o
RE: Kim

Sounds like your Rottie found the right home. A friend of mine has an Aussie who just turned 17. Her only 'trick' any more is to try and not get knocked down by the more exuberant youngsters.

o

My Yoko does everything she can with me.

Sleeps with me

Plays computer games

Climbs my leg because I'm cooking in the kitchen

o

Bunnyman - your cat looks like my Cassie ... rescued from a field when she was 6 months old .. with her sister Ronni ..very 'shy' cats.

I added a male kitten last May .. he's been a royal terror, but makes us all laugh. Plays with the dogs all day, nothing shy about him (Bailey). He's a longhaired butterscotch color, or Baileys Irish cream color.

The head of the household is Brandi, she's a 7.5 yr old Golden/Collie mix I adopted from the SPCA when she was 6 months old.

Her buddy is Dakota, a 8 yr old Yellow lab/husky mix. He came to visit with a neighbor 7 years ago, and ended up staying. He's totally henpecked by Brandi ....

Love them all ....

Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: My Farm & Animals

o

Awwwwwwww Bunnyman........what a cutie!

Wing

o

Dog: Luther who is 8 years old, German Shepard/Black Lab mix. I want to get another dog, perferably a Golden Retriever or one that is mixed with one. I want a calm, at least one year old dog. Had a Golden Retiever years ago and she was the best dog.

o

I have an 11 year old lab/dane mix (or so we think) named Molly. She was a rescue and has been with me for about 3 years. I had to put my other dog down in the spring of this year - he was my baby - a rhodesian/lab mix and I miss him terribly.

One of these days, I'll get a second dog - a little lap dog, preferably. Once Molly is gone, I want to get a deaf, adult dog.

Right now I also have one cat mommy and her 6 kittens - none of which are mine, but I get to pretend they are for a little while ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here