SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debi_ks

what do you do for a living?

debi_ks
21 years ago

Just thought we could keep the getting to know one another going. I wash windows for a living. It is something I love to do. I have been in business since 89. I live a christain life and have many friends all over the place. I have didn a bunch of traveling since 89. My favorite places are beaches. I like 2nd hand store shopping and shabby chic style....

Well enough about me. Tell us about you...

Comments (53)

• netla
    21 years ago

I work for the Ministry of Industry and Commerce in Iceland, doing typical office work: sitting in from of a computer all day, reviewing papers and writing letters.

I'm also doing a masters course in translation at the university - it will take me at least five years because I can't afford to stop working and go to school full time.

Hobbies are varied and include cooking, quilting and rock painting.

• darkeyedgirl
    21 years ago

For the past 2 years, I've been a secretary for a great group of sales guys. I never dreamed I'd be in a sales dept., but it is just where I somehow wound up. I work your typical 8 to 5 (sometimes, 9 to 4) work week, off every weekend, etc. I spend my evenings with my daughter, who is the only person on this earth I can really get along with on a daily basis!

I also am a mom to four cats, who are all cast-offs. I can't imagine my life any other way, and I love it. My girl to live for, my easy and fun job and the great people I work with, and my worshipful cats curling up on me every night!

Hobbies are anything artsy; photography, decorating, painting, remodeling, working with my hands (they are totally battered hands, too), singing and dancing, playing and laughing. I like to go hear live bands, mix & mingle with people, play cards, and mess with my car.

- darkeyedgirl

• Related Discussions

What do you all do for a 'living'?

Q

Comments (63)
    Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, bejay! It sounds like a great career. And, like my career of editor, which is the same thing my mother did, it sounds like the technology used day to day has changed greatly over the decade, but the base skills remain the same. As with anything, a lot seems to depend on hardworking, flexible and willing to learn. (When my mom began as an editor, there were not only no personal computers or word processing software, but no Post-Its or photocopies. In the space of my 17-year career, I've gone from doing all my work on paper to doing 98% of it on the computer, and moved from teaching my editing class in a classroom to teaching it online. But I would say more is the same about my day to day work than different! Dangling modifiers and insecure authors haven't changed a bit.) ANyway, I'm glad you spend your time gardening, canning, and sharing the stories with us. Hope you're feeling better! Z
    ...See More

What do you guys do for a living?

Q

Comments (49)
    Im 27 and a video game environment artist. Been working in NC for about 9 years. Originally from S. CA, moved to Idaho as a teen. Was going to community college dual enrollment in highschool when I somehow magically ended up with a video game internship that turned into 9 years of full time employment. So never got any degree besides a highschool diploma. I have to admit I am very blessed to be in a situation where I can grow vegetables and peppers for fun. But I am also interested in learning more about sustainable living and being less dependent on others, and trying to get the best crop yields with less water/nutrients/etc. Nice to be amongst friends! khyberkitsune, your small space yield experiments sound AWESOME!! Do you have any more info online I could check out? That's exactly what I am interested in pursuing. I've done outdoor soil gardening since I was little with my stepdad, but now I suddely have my own family and have this desire to try my hand at some totally new techniques. I am attempting some DWC habaneros right now (thread in the pepper forum). Next year I really want to try an ourdoor Aeroponics setup, since I just realized the RO booster pump I have is the PERFECT pump for high pressure nozzle spray :D Love finding out I already have equipment to try something!!
    ...See More

Summerfield?

Q

Comments (1)
    i am a residential designer ... thank you for your kind compliment :-) anyone is welcome to e-mail me , here , for further enquiry ...
    ...See More

What do you do for a living?

Q

Comments (73)
    Kept woman does sound sexy, but DH would laugh if I said it because nobody could ever "keep" me outside of my will. I'm certainly not a Domestic Goddess. Martha Stewart and Bree Hodge would never allow children with cleats to drop grass clumps willy nilly all over their homes. So I guess it's just SAHM for me, that is if stay-at-home means always in the car.(preschool, lacrosse, football, lacrosse, cross-country, lacrosse, karate, more lacrosse, treblemakers-what we called glee club) But if the question is how do I make money, then the answer is poker. Not paycheck type money, but full to bursting shoe closet type money. It's not so much that I'm a great player(I can run the numbers and read faces passably well,) but it's more that men are dumb. Break out the cleavage and they have no idea if you're smiling or wincing.
    ...See More
  • Judith
    21 years ago

I work at a University in the office that processes applications for research grants for the non-medical faculty. I have worked at the same job for over 36 years. Before that, I worked in the office of a uniform rental company and then I worked in the admitting office of a mid-sized hospital. I liked the hospital work the best but it just got too hectic when I became acting supervisor back in l966 when medicare first went into effect and I would get calls several times a night in the middle of the night where I had to solve the problems of a sick patient and no hospital bed available.
    Than was too much stress for me.

I never married and I took care of my mother, who became a semi invalid, for 21 years after my father died.

I live in a somewhat rural area on 17 acres with my 4 horses, 3 dogs and 9 cats. All of my cats and dogs were the result of someone dumping them off on my corner. One of my dogs was born in the wild of a feral dog. His mother had been around for a couple of years and had 2 litters of puppies in my woods. He was about 6 weeks old when I found him between one of my horse's front feet, and he was the smartest, most self relient 6 week old puppy that I have ever seen.

I hope to retire at the end of this year and devote more time to my hobbies of gardening, thrift shop touring, and my animals. I collect cream pitchers, poultry salt and pepper shakers, and dolls.

• debi_ks
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Well it is so nice to meet you all. I hope to get to know you all better. I don't post every day but do try to stop in. YOu all have a great day...I need to get to work now...

• tracymomof4
    21 years ago

i work for pay at walmart during graveyard shift 10p-7a makes it hell trying to find a date esp with my off days being monday and tuesday lol. But my real work begins when i get home running the house, the boys to this practice or that one if i aint taking one somewhere im picking one up.

• teri2
    21 years ago

Over the last 44 years of supporting myself I've tried nursing (didn't make it out of training), marriage (too boring), climbing the corporate ladder (too stressful), Univ of TN at age 40 (that was really fun), business owner/operator (talk about stressful!), and my present gig as city government paper pusher (also boring, but the end is in sight and I can stick this one out).

Retirement beckons in the next year or two. Whether or not to do so is the big question of the moment. Financial and health care issues make it seem far less attractive than it did 5 years ago. OTOH, I keep having this feeling that I ought to give myself a few years of freedom while I'm still in good enough health to enjoy it. Even if that means doing it on peanuts. Still undecided.

• suzieque
    21 years ago

Well, I work in the high-tech industry (hugely impacted in this economy!!!), and am very happy to be fortunate enough to still have my job. I'm a Program Manager, and have been with the current company for 2 1/2 years. I'm not close to retirement, either in age (15 years away) or financial situation (count me in as one of those who lost a bundle in the stock market :-( - - my own fault, of course.

I am the "mother" of 5 "boys" ... my 5 cats. Yes, all are castoffs, and it was my lucky day when each of them somehow found their way into my life.

I'm aunt and Godmother to my only nephew and my only niece (and I'm their only Aunt!), but they live on the other side of the world, so I normally only get to see them once a year...but what a visit it is!

I, too, am active in my church and strive to live the life that I'm supposed to live. Some days I do better than others ...

I'm happy, content (but not so content as to stop growing), and fortunate to have wonderful friends.

I am also quite active in animal endeavors, such as foster care, shelter work, etc., and would absolutely love to live on several acres, take care of goats, chickens, dogs, cats, etc.!

• skyway1111
    21 years ago

Hi there -

I just found this forum (just moved into an older condo, so usually post and peruse in the remodel/redecorate forums) and will look forward to hearing from other singles. :)

I also am in high tech, selling software. It is a tough time right now, so am glad to have a job. I really like technology, and hope the economy picks up soon.

• teri2
    21 years ago

Hi Abby - I worked for Northwestern Bell, aka US West, aka Qwest (God help 'em), from 1964-1979. Long ago and far away but my head is still kind of Bell shaped.

• browntoestoo
    21 years ago

I'm a freelance art director, illustrator, and graphic designer. I work at home and live in front of my computer. Thank goodness for message boards, they are my office social outlet when I need a break from work.

I have two children, a boy and a girl, 12 and 10. I spend a lot of time running my daughter to gymnastics and horseback riding lessons.

I have been on my own for more than 4 years after 13 years of marriage. I'm almost used to it.

• butterfly130
    21 years ago

I actually introduced myself in one of the other questions, but I'm 58 1/2, married 12, single 4, 9 yr relationship, then hung it up. I have a 30 yr old son, 2 cats, a camping trailer I tow with my big Suburban. I worked for the govt for 32 years and now a defense contractor but only until I get my house paid off! I've had a part-time job for most of those years too except when my son was very young. I love to travel, had a craft business for 12 years but now just need to get rid of my supplies (that will take forever). I figure I will probably be single for the rest of my life so I guess we will all get to know each other real well.

• rotny
    21 years ago

Hi ladies.
    I work as a Telecom Technician for the Library of Congress. I've been in telecom for 11 years starting with my tour in the Army. Did three years at Ft. Huachuca, AZ and three years at the White House. Got out just after I got married and went to work for a local paging company. Then moved back to my home state of Ohio and spent 14 months installing Lucent switches. Then moved back to DC and have been at the Library for 2 years.

My passion is racing pocket bikes so I spend as much time doing that as my wife will allow.:)

Nice to meet you all.
    Rotny

• teri2
    21 years ago

Hi Rotny. It's not that we don't enjoy your company but I have to ask. Do you realize that you are posting on the singles forum?

• trippyc
    21 years ago

Hi and nice to meet you all! I am fairly new to GardenWeb. I own a Dollar store, so I have been checking out the money saving tips forum to see what people like to buy at dollar stores, but this one sure looks like alot of fun!

• rotny
    21 years ago

Hi Teri2.
    Yea, I was just gonna' lurk here but this board moves so much faster than the marriage forum - and it's so much more interesting. And I was hoping, since I was the only guy responding, I could sneak in on a married waiver. :)

Sorry for trespassing ladies. Say...uhhhh......you wouldn't let me take some of your energy back to the marriage forum with me would you?

Rotny

• browntoestoo
    21 years ago

So the married forum is slow, eh? I haven't checked in there. Any singles over there?

Eileen

• civilmind
    21 years ago

Hi all! I'm in engineering. I just found this forum too. Posted my intro separately. I'm laughing at browntoestoo..."any singles on the married forum..." Stay away from those singles with wives! :)

• itsmesuzq
    21 years ago

Hi everyone....I just found that "The Single Life" was back and I'm delighted to be able to join the party.

I work the a large University in Los Angeles; I'm a Director over Building Services and Facilities for one of the schools on campus. I've been here 8 years this month, and worked for Hughes Aircraft Company for over 22 years before coming here. I really love my job, and find that the academic environment is far more serene that "the real world". I hope to stay here until I retire in about 6-8 years. I'm 57, divorced after 30 years of marriage - been on my own for almost 8 years.

I'm so happy to see this forum again! I will be checking in often!
    ~Susan

• Toni_KY
    21 years ago

Hello. I'm separated, soon to be divorced. DH & I were married just short of a year when we decided we'd made a mistake. After living in MA with him for that time, we split up and I moved back to KY. This was my first marriage. I was engaged before, but we never made it to the altar.

With the economy being so bad, I had a hard time finding a full-time job when I returned, but was fortunate to find a job as a Medical Records Clerk for the University of KY, where I've been since Feb of this year. It's far from glamorous, but it's perfect for me!

No human children, but I am "Mom" to Josie, the furry feline love of my life. She & I have been together for 8 years, and she loves me more than some people I've known!

I'm totally cool with being single again, and am looking forward to getting my life back on track.

• lulie___wayne
    20 years ago

I'm a retired Reading and English middle school teacher. I have two children. My daughter, Christin, is in heaven at 19. My son, Todd, is 26. I have two beautiful grandsons 2 and 3 years old, and a husband.
    I always worry that something will happen to DH and I imagine myself single. In more cases than not, this happens since women live longer. I admire all of you who are making it on your own and are happy with your choices/circumstances.
    I have always had someone take care of me and it scares the heck out of me to think about being alone.
    I do hope that you don't mind me being here. Maybe I can learn something from you to put to use if I ever have to.
    Lu

• jessiecarole
    20 years ago

welcome Lu (smile)

the more the merrier!

jc

• TWOP
    20 years ago

I usually follow the Appliance forum here, and today I happened to notice this Singles forum. There is very little that I can contribute to this forum, but naturally... us workaholics are always eager to talk about our work!

After many years of doing home repairs and working with my hands, I had a midlife crisis (not my first) and now I have a real job. The job involves selling and all those things that go along with selling... such as rejection. What fun. I was bored... I wanted more excitement in my day to day job... and I have gone from wearing bib overalls every day to casual business wear. Quite a major change. We certainly do crazy things when we are bored.

By the way, we workaholic personalities do not make for good relationship material. Our significant other is always Number Two because our "work" comes first.

• Tinmantu
    20 years ago

I thought I would bring this one back up, a worthwhile topic that is likely to fall off the board before too long....browntoes (Eileen) and Lulie were the only posters that I recognized out of recent posters names....seems time for new introductions...hopefully the ones that posted before me and aren't around now have moved on to better things in their lives...Here's a toast to us that are still around doing the same.
    I'm Mike, 45...I work in HVAC business (with degrees in just about every construction trade imaginable..in other words "Jack of All Trades")and have a 17 yr old daughter..my latest mission is to try to keep this forum alive....feel free to chime in

• walksalone
    20 years ago

45, divorced twice, no children. Own home, love yard work. Work as an internal auditor.

• Tinmantu
    20 years ago

Welcome to the board WalksAlone...hope you stick around and add your thoughts

• Carrie B
    20 years ago

I'm Carrie, 38, never married. Would like to have a permanent partner in my life, and, who knows? Maybe even a kid or two.

I've been doing non-profit work since college (with a few years of waitressing in the the middle). Now, I'm an environmental educator/community greening coordinator for a community-based social service agency in a relatively low-income Philadelphia neighborhood.

• janet_ks
    20 years ago

I'm Janet, 41, now involved with a SO who's 42. No kids for us (and there won't be!!), but he has two sons (18 and 21), a DIL and a granddaughter who's 11 months old!!

I live in the same city where I was born and raised and work as an accountant at the local university. My SO has lived all over (Arkansas, Texas, California, etc.) and is an HVAC mechanic for a school district.

• puddlejumper
    20 years ago

I'm Yvonne and I'm soon to be divorced. I'm 44 and a career retread. I used to be an office manager with the Oregon Department of Transportation. Lately I've done transcription work but hate it. I'm trying to decide whether to go back and get a Masters in Accounting or Finance or whether to apply to the various law schools in my region. I know that most lawyers are skunks, but I'm a hopelessly good human. If I did decide to go to law school I'd be interested in pursuing family law so I could advocate for children and seniors.

I plan to work as an administrative assistant to keep me fed while I pursue my dream of graduate school.

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

Was looking for the tread that Walks referred to and had trouble finding it....Thought I'd bring this one up for old times sake since there are a few new names to add. Looks like this might have been the first time that Walks and I crossed paths. Careful folks, the plot leads to a duel with a pistol in another thread. :) I'm 49 now (ugh), still in HVAC, mostly designing and installing residential systems. 4 years after my last post here, my "little" girl is a great mom who makes me very proud of her.

• kayjones
    16 years ago

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I am still doing service coordination for the elderly - nearly 5 years at this job. I am ready to retire - just haven't decided when. I am 57 1/2, smarter than I was yesterday, and another day older. I am happy to be where I am today and hope to move forward tomorrow!

• pris
    16 years ago

I'm Pat (Pris was a family nickname. Maybe the way I walk?) I work in accounting & finance, Controller for a medium sized business. Hoping to retire soon because I can't think why I would want to continue in this profession. It seemed a good idea at the time but I woke up one day and realized I still didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up. Maybe when I retire I'll find something to do that I really love doing and have the time to do it. Actually, I got stuck in this field when my kids dad decided he wanted a younger model. He was 36, I was 34. At that time I was dabbling in a number of things including non-profit. I suddenly had to grow up and support two teenagers. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate it but I don't love it.

• kayjones
    16 years ago

Hi, Pat - it's nice to meet you. I would love to retire, and can - too scared to quit and be bored out of my mind. What does one need to think about when getting ready to retire? Are you at all scared to retire. I think if I retire I will go back to school and learn to do something else.

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

Welcome Pat....I learned long ago that we all have a job in life... The ones that do it out of necessity, I admire much more than the ones that have one handed to them and they still dislike their job.

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

tinmantu comes back on the scene and whoa, all of a sudden we get life here!!!

Hi everyone!!

To answer the question honestly, I work for a living - or at least the mailman thinks I do. He keeps bringing me these little white evelopes from people that want my money - Maybe I'm living too much!! Keep working, girl; keep working!!

OK, getting serious here - I am a Contracts Professional, that is, I manage and administer both government and commercial contracts, but for a government contractor instead of the govenment. I got into this profession when I asked for a transfer out of the Clerical Pool. My then manager told me that the only opening was in Contracts. CONTRACTS - what the heck is that???? When I told my co-workers where I would be working, they thought I had lost my mind! Everyone told me it was like going to church!! Well compared to my mind now after twenty plus years doing this, I sometimes think they were right. The joke is that once you get into into it, you can't get out. That being said, I love what I do for the most part. The profession has changed tremendously over the years and it's not as much fun as it used to be.

My other profession is being single!!

Glad to meet everyone - thanks for starting this thread - good piece of work!

gng

• kayjones
    16 years ago

Tinmantu, if I didn't know better, I would think that was a direct stab at someone! I certainly have not had my job handed to me, and I have fought darned hard to do a good job and maintain employment status!

I have worked since I was 14, taking time off to raise each of my four boys, but other than that, I have worked at least part time. I deserve to retire at this time in my life - just am not sure about actually doing it!

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

Kay, that was not a stab at anyone that I know on here, I assure you....My first thought came of a son of a man that I do business with. I have no idea of your work history and I'm sorry if I offended you.

• kayjones
    16 years ago

I didn't think it was anyone on this forum - sorry if I gave you that idea. You COULDN'T offend me if you tried!

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

I answered this a few years ago and nothing has changed except my screen name and the ages of my children. Still making art, designing graphics and spending too much time in front of my computer.

Eileen

Here is a link that might be useful: Some of my work.

• kayjones
    16 years ago

Eileen, are these pictures/images that you actually drew and painted? OMG, they are breath-taking! Please show us more!

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

You do very good work Eileen....so your kids have gotten older and you haven't?...how do you do that?...heh...just kidding

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

Yes, Mike, I'm older too. Apparently not any wiser, though! I'm closing in on 52 in January. The kids are 15 and 17.

Kay, some of the work is digitally created. Some is watercolor. I put those up for a potential client to look at but I think he wanted the work for free and I haven't heard from him. Such is the real world. He was looking for illustration. I also do design work which I haven't put anyplace online. I'm in the process of building a website. I'll post a link when I get it up.

You all are very kind!

• pris
    16 years ago

Whoo!

Look what happens when you miss a couple of days.

Kay - I'm not really scared to retire so much as apprehensive about the economy. If things don't hit the fan, I should be all right. I just don't know that it isn't going to happen.

Tinmantu - Thanks for the welcome. I lurk a lot and post occasionally when I have time. I probably don't dislike my job as much as am tired of doing it. I've been doing it for going on 30 years in some form or another and it was never a passion.

Barnmom - I really envy your artistic ability. I feel like I could learn the technical side of just about anything but lack the imagination to send it soaring.

gneegirl - If you don't mind I'll join you in your "single" proffession and let you have the other. It sounds about as exciting as what I already do for a living. Too much legaleze.

• dirt_yfingernails
    16 years ago

Rotny probably posted here because the marriage forum is down and depressing a lot of the time. I posted a "let's tell something happy about your spouse/SO and got very little response.

I'm married 10 years now, together 14. We bought our first house together 2 years ago and are still in love with it. We are raising our/his 13 year old special needs grandson. A big challenge sometimes. I work for the county government in accounting, have for over 7 years now.

• gabrielesgarden
    16 years ago

47 next month, divorced 10 years, married 17 before that. 21 year old daughter in january. Live in Denver, Am a production artist/graphic designer. have my own home which I fixed up almost by myself, and a garden to die for.....welll, IMHO anyway! I used to hang out in the garden junk forum last year. I haven't posted much lately in either forum....just been reading. T I like this forum but it's usually really slow, which I find boring, but it seems to be picking up a wee bit again....I hope! :-)

• kayjones
    16 years ago

Gabriel, if you post some thought-provoking topics, people will respond, so go ahead - 'git 'er done'!

• gabrielesgarden
    16 years ago

are you a larry the cable guy fan Kay? :-)
    hehehe

I have posted stuff in the past....people have responded in the past.....although I doubt they were very thought provoking.

• kayjones
    16 years ago

I sure am! I think he is absolutely the most rib-tickling comedian ever!!! I am always on the lookout for used VSH tapes of Red Neck Comedy.

Most of us have been on this forum for a number of years, and we pretty much laugh at each other's 'jokes' and cry over each other's stories, even if that isn't the case. Go ahead - post something - then put 'LOL' after it if it's funny and 'boohoo' if it's not. Let's have some action!

• doc8404
    16 years ago

New to this forum. Just peeking in. . . .

Married for 17 years, widowed in April. I'm 52 with two sons out on their own and two pre-teen sons still at home. I'm a business analyst for a global financial firm. It actually is more fun than it sounds :). Live in Ohio and I row about 4 miles a day for my workout.

I have the time now so I'm redoing the house - painting, replacing all the woodwork in red oak and completely remodeling the kitchen the way I want it. New cabinets, flooring, appliances and soapstone countertops. I might as well be comfortable in there, right?

Being suddenly single was a shock. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it all but all in all, life is good.

Doc

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

Welcome, Doc!

Do you have a lake you row on?

I still feel in shock over being single and my marriage ended 9 years ago!

My condolences on your loss. The house remodeling sounds like a wonderful and engaging project while you heal.

Eileen

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

I second the welcome to you, doc...and my condolences also. It's never easy to be a complete family at one moment and see it all change the next. You will find a lot of fine and caring people here. I hope you visit often. I need all the male help I can get..heh

Sponsored