Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Single Life-Photo Album

Posted by Tinmantu (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 21, 04 at 14:51

Here's a test link and hoping it works...I just put a couple up because I don't have any way to know because of cookies that may be on my machine. Please let me know if the link works or not and then I'll look at adding some more pictures as time allows.

After considering the chances of spammers and such I vetoed the liability of a public posting of pictures...what I did was open a Yahoo picture page where anyone is free to have pics of their area, pets, family or themselves posted...Since the site is in my name though, if you want your pictures posted, just email them to me at tinmantu@nospam.com (insert hotmail.com in place of nospam.com) with a name and caption that you would like with the picture. I was so bold to put my pictures up so that a face could be placed with the person that babbles...heh
I hope we can build on this, even if you don't want your personal pictures on there at least contribute pictures from your area. This was an idea just to build a community type of atmosphere here, which seems to be growing more and more each day. I hope you'll consider participating.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Single Life Online Album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Single Life-Photo Album

Nice pictures. Great idea. Maybe when my teenager finishes building our new "hot rod" computer we can do some photo sharing. Our current computer is dying of old age!

o

Hi Char...glad to see the link works......get that hot rod to going and let's get some pics posted...I think if we can get a few more than my ugly mug on there others might join in.
If it's a nice day tomorrow here, I'll see if I can't get out and take some nature shots to post.

o

Nice pictures Mike. Your daughter is lovely, and she's got your smile. Is her hair as red as it looks in the photo? Stunning.

o

Thanks Carrie....yes it was a red as it looked in the picture...not her natural color,though (hers is the same as mine, at least before mine went gray anyway)....she changes it almost as often as I wash my car, heh...at least she hasn't chosen goth black yet

o

Thought I'd throw in a few from my jaunt today....logged about 4 miles and it was very relaxing....climbed some hills and awed a few teenagers that I could get up those rocks with a smoke in my mouth...LOL...what can I say, for every bit that one breaks themselves down, they need to build themself up....imagine if I had no vices.....at any rate hope someone enjoys them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Tinmans Saturday jaunt

o

I'm going to try to add to the photo album by using the photobucket link. I'm trying out all of the features of the new computer. Here is a picture of my older son, Darron the computer builder and his first creation. Yes it has lights and a clear panel on the side so you can see the wires? There are worse things that a teenager could be doing right?

Here is a link that might be useful: My son and new computer

o

Thanks for sharing, Char....a fine looking son you have there...keep encouraging him towards the technology field..not sure if it was just my monitor but I had to go to paintshop to lighten it up a bit in order to get the full effect of the the computer....that is cool!....I've been considering doing that to mine lately.
If your pic looks dark on your screen, you might try your camera software to touch up the brightness...maybe it's just me though. BTW, looked at your other pics on the site also...nice

o

I'm at the kindergarden stage of digital photography, any tips are appreciated The last time I had any kind of new camera was eight years ago. We just had to get a digital last weekend to use with the new computer. I had to take the picture without flash to be able to see the lights on the computer that is why it seems dark to begin with. Please don't encourage my photo sharing. I think it could become habit forming if I don't get too upset trying to learn how to do it right!

o

The thing to understand about most digital cameras is that they demand lots of light....in a dimly lit room pictures can come out grainy..indoor pictures should always use a flash...it can always be adjusted later if it's too bright, but most times you will find you won't have to. I use the flash even outdoors because of shadows etc...it's not so much the need for the flash but the lens stays open a fraction of a second longer to gather the flash than it will if you have the flash turned off (thus allowing more light a chance to enter the lens...no flash is best for action or motion photos with adequate light. Check out this link for a free program that allows you to manipulate brightness, contrast, etc. It's very simple to use....just open the image, click on the Image menu bar and choose "Enhance colors"...if you have any other questions, ask away. Depending on your camera brand you can also import them directly to this program....and yes it's very habit forming char...heh

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Irfan Viewer

o
one more helpful site

Here is one more site that might be of value, it is for me as my manual doesn't go into the detail with basically an online turorial that this place does....hopefully your camera is on his list, it is a large one. Also a good review site for those contemplating a certain brand and megapixel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steves Digicams

o

Thanks for the tips and links. My camera is on the list for about double what I paid (Thanks to Target clearance!). Adobe Photoshop CS came in the bunch of software I had put in the new computer but it seems to take about ten steps to do anything. I've been trying to do the tutorials when I have time. It's fun to learn something new but there seems to be so much to learn. I'll get lots of practice this weekend at my younger son's birthday party. Got any tips for taking pictures of ten 8 year olds at a pizza place with a video arcade?

o

Photoshop is a lot like Paintshop pro...a very good digital darkroom program.....I use Paintshop more for retouching old old scanned photos that have cracks as it has a nice air brush option....I'll have to post some before and after pics (got me thinking now)....for basic lighting and contrast you will find that Irfan viewer will do about anything that you need for new pictures....as far as the ten 8 year olds, I would recommend taking a Valium and having ear plugs.....and use the flash :)

o

Now I know who to ask for help when I get back to the old photos. We had been scanning in old family pictures before we got the new camera. One of my sisters is doing a family tree and I want to make a DVD photo album of all of the old family photos. I'm thinking if I start now I may have a good Christmas present for my sisters this year.

o
A gift that most people don't even think about...memories

my mom loved the cd of old photos that I gave her for her birthday last year...mine scans negatives also and I was able to come up with a bunch...makes an excellent gift, char...whenever you have a question ask here or feel free to drop me an email

o
Old Photo

Here is an old picture that has just been scanned. It needs some work on it. It's my Grandfather and his friends somewhere beetween 1915-1919. I am amazed at how many pictures my grandparents had of their childhood. I don't think alot of people had cameras. I wish they were around to ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Photo

o

That won't take much to repair char....question....is that line running diagnal towards the house supposed to be there, like a power line or something?...if not, I'll delete it....don't have time tonight but I like a challange...heh

o
Power line

I got the original out and looked real close, it looks like a power line. Were there power lines out in the country back then? If you like a challenge I have one from 1902 that has a crease right down the middle. I was posting while you were posting last time not ignoring your post I may take you up on email help so as not to bore anyone to death here. Besides Barbara might use her handcuffs on us! Maybe we should offer to be her official photographers when she wears her new dress?

o

LOL - can't trust you guys!! The new dress arrived yesterday...

The handcuffs were for another idea!! ;-)

o
The Single Life

Pictures! We want pictures! You have had the dress for a whole day and no picture? You know the hand cuffs could work as bracelets with the new dress then you would be ready for any occasion!

o

Yes, we want pics, Barbara.........I bet I am right about that red hair and that dress

o
RE: Fixing old photos

I'll try to have one posted of my mom at the age of 2 (1921) that was terribly cracked and do a before and after if I can find the before one, char...it took probably 3 hours of work to fix.....it takes a lot of work to fix one like that but it can be done....that's why photo artists make the big bucks :) (after that one I should considered going into the photo artist field)
Late now and I am off to bed...but I'll be back, as I always threaten...nite

o

Hi char....touched it up a bit at lunch...if you like it I'll email you the actual size that you posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: chars old picture

o
before and after pic

This one was a little tougher but the size of the before picture doesn't show the cracks that were on the face and body that had to be fixed...I spent about 3 hours on repairing this one....but the smile on moms face was worth it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Before and After...circa 1920

o
oops...always prev iew your links...LOL

let's try this again

Here is a link that might be useful: This time for sure, Rocky!

o
Thanks

Wow that's great work. Thanks for spending the time to work on it. I would be glad to have an emailed copy. It will be one less that I have to work on even though I need the practice. Look out your email may fill up with questions when I get some time to work on the old photos! You had me scared for a minute I was thinking that your Mom's picture looked just like my Grandfather's when I clicked on the link. I know she was so pleased to have the photo restored. By the way, in my photo my Grandfather is the one riding the bicycle. Maybe we should start a photo of the day? My first request is Barbara in her new beautiful dress!

o

Thanks char....fill up the email inbox with questions....always glad to teach someone that appreciate and it's not as hard as you think.....sometimes tedious, but the final product is always well worth it....Great idea about a pic of the day thread and Barbara better get in gear and get one going or I am going to cut and paste her head on that dress and post it...heh...better yet, you start a thread... I have a few around here that I can post

o

I was thinking about that last night that you probably could use the dress picture and put Barbara's picture on it. Do you hear that Barbara? Post a picture or he's going to make a Barbara paper doll with photos. Then we could dress the Barbara picture in different outfits every day and you would never have to ask for fashion advice. You could just look at what your photo is wearing that day! First photo: handcuffs as accessories!

o
Good one

roflmao....I was thinking of putting her in handcuffs in the pic...you have been warned Barbara ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here