SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judith_gw

Any older singles?

Judith
21 years ago

I'm single and an older woman nearing retirement age. I know this forum is mainly for younger people but I am only old in years and not it my outlook on things. I live on a small acreage with 4 horses, 9 cats and 3 dogs and do all of my own yard work and taking care of my 17 acres by myself. I still work full time and commute about 30 miles to work every day. I hope there will be some older singles who will post here.

Comments (38)

• darkeyedgirl
    21 years ago

If you need someone to babysit all those animals, call me...

=-) sounds like you live in a slice of heaven Judith.

- darkeyedgirl

• ginger_st_thomas
    21 years ago

You're not the only one! Never cared to be married myself & glad I didn't bow to pressure.

• Related Discussions

Do you have any favorite single bloom roses?

Q

Comments (32)
    If you have a lot of room, you could track down a plant of the 'Trier' x 'Mutabilis' seedling 'Plaisanterie' - it's one rose that totally shows it's heritage of both parents. It's gorgeous, hardier than 'Mutabilis' and also cleaner here in Maryland in terms of disease resistance so far. Definitely more of a climber, but the flowers are exactly the coloring of 'Mutabilis', perhaps even pink/peachier and contained in the petal form of 'Trier' in that charming multiflora manner. I love it. Here is a link that might be useful: Plaisanterie on HMF
    ...See More

Any Kansas City, Mo. singles?

Q

Comments (1)
    This is mind-boggling!!! I KNOW there are single, older folks in Kansas City - where ARE you?
    ...See More

Any way to insulate older windows?

Q

Comments (4)
    The storm windows don't even have to be "super tough". A good custom cabinet shop can build them too. The hardware to hang them can be found through restoration hardware types of businesses. In my opinion, the storm window frame would consist of a rabetted edge on three sides, so that it wrapped the exterior top sash stop. Within the rabbet, there would be a kerf cut into the wood where a modern bulb weatherstrip would be mounted. The storm sash would contain a standard glass pocket/plow, or a wider plow to accept modern low-e insulating glass unit. The hard part is to build the sashes to fit the existing window frames. Most older homes have settled and the window frames are no longer square, so templates are often required. Another tip would include building the storm windows with a good, durable and stable wood species. Depending on your quantity, it could be as expensive as buying a complete new window, and the template process is hard enough to deem it a "one-time" job. So spend the money right the first time, just like folks should do when buying their new wood windows. :)
    ...See More

Older house advice - worth it for 2 stage vs single AC?

Q

Comments (15)
    A two stage system is nice and the efficiency of the Infinity system really can't be beat in a conventional system, but WOW, what a price! I have written some articles on choosing between a moderate efficiency system and a high efficiency system. If you're interested, you can read them HERE, but here's my two cents as a guy that makes his living installing AC units. It really sounds to me like you might be better off having a 14 SEER or a 16 SEER single stage unit installed and taking the difference between that and the Infinity system and investing it in insulating and sealing your home. I think the payback will be much better and your home will be much more comfortable. Also, be sure to have a Manual J load calculation done before the equipment is installed. By the way, the two stage 95% furnace is a great idea. I also have a couple of articles on that as well. Sounds like you're off to a great start and have done your homework well. Best wishes.
    ...See More
  • Abby1930
    21 years ago

Count me in as a sort of older single (52). Never married, and after talking to some of my married friends I am glad I never did :)

One house, 2 cats, and enjoying life very much with just myself to take care of.

Abigail

• lindac
    21 years ago

I'm a widow....and not exactly a spring chicken!...Grandmother of 7....and very VERY glad I was married!
    Linda C

• suzieque
    21 years ago

Just noticed that this forum is back!!! And yes, I'm an "older" single - - turned 47 in January.

Judith - - your home sounds fabulous!!! I have a small house with a big heart. And 5 cats to fill it. I do quite a bit of animal volunteer work, and your house sounds like a dream.

Very happy to be single, but wouldn't be opposed to marriage if the right guy came along. So far he hasn't, and I'm not willing to compromise just to be married!

Doing quite well on my own, thank you. :-)

• debi_ks
    21 years ago

So at what age does "Older" begin? I would love to be married but know of no one that I would like to be married to. I was in a long term relationship but I make some choices that he did not want to be a part of so we agreed to go our own ways...He still calls me after all these years. That was back in Jan of 87...I really think it was pretty cool that our last night we spent together was the most romanitic. We had spent 10 years together before that and ended up good friends. I think the funniest thing is he end up married to someone named Debi!

• teri2
    21 years ago

If older means that the primary issues in my life are health care and how to retire on very little money, then I'm your gal. Judith, I've seen your posts on the Tennessee Gardening Forum. I'm in Knoxville.

• lilod
    21 years ago

Could be I am the "oldest" single, at least in years, pushing eighty, although I consider myself "contemporary".
    Living on a hilly 6 acres, taking care of garden, goats, chickens, dogs and cats keeps me fit. Reading and the computer, studying metaphysics, nature and the "spirit World" keep the mind flexible and open.

• teri2
    21 years ago

Gosh, Liloh. You can be my role model. I'm only pushing 62 and it's pushing back. Hard.

• lindac
    21 years ago

Lilo!!! Great to see you again! All well on the mountain?
    Linda C

• lindac
    21 years ago

Lilo!!! Great to see you again! All well on the mountain?
    Linda C

• SandiD
    21 years ago

Lilo, you're inspiring! Pushing 80? I'm hopeful that I still have energy to garden in my 70s. My 9 year old told me tonight that when I need to be taken care, she'll move in with me & take care of me. Such a sweetie!

• lilod
    21 years ago

Linda - good to see you back, too!
    I've been lurking far too long
    SandiD - your kid is an inspiration - but believe me, there is plenty of energy to go around!
    It seems I am in better shape now than I was when I retired to this magic mountain in '84 - must be the good air and all those hills - the only really level places are inside the house and on the decks

• SandiD
    21 years ago

Lilo, what's really strange is that she said this after watching my mom care for her mother. My grandmother moved into the house across the street from my parents several years ago. The intent was to make it easier on my mom to care for her parents if needed. We lost my grandfather several years ago & now my grandmother is failing. And Mom's trying to keep 2 houses up. Last night was the first night in a month that Mother even slept in her own bed (the only reason why is because my grandmother is in the hospital for an ulcer). My grandmother's physical therapist told us that she can't be left alone now. Mother's only relief is from my grandmothers sisters (my granny's the oldest) and my 19 year old nephew who's not working. I'm a little too far to visit daily, but try to get down there on the weekends.

I still think you're amazing. You remind my of my grandpa (paternal). He's 88ish, diabetic and hard of hearing who still hunts (God help us), still mows (riding mower, on a hill that's about an acre) and otherwise lies around with his dog, Jim Bob (picture a junk yard dog). My aunt had to take his license away after he went to the fishing shack (an hour or so away) at Lake Livingston & hit a cop's car. He's a scary sight when he goes down the hill, toting his 30-30. Makes you want to run for the hills. But he's self suficient & able to take care of himself w/ my aunt checking in on him every couple of days. He's also been keeping up my grandmother's gardens.

• teri2
    21 years ago

So, I have a question for you, Lilo, and about your grandfather, Sandi. If you are gardening at 80 and 80+, are you doing it all? Or do you get help with the digging and bending over jobs that I haven't been able to do since I was 58?

• Judith
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Lilod, you are an inspiration to me. I am 64 and find that I can't do nearly as much as I used to. When I get down on the ground planting flowers,seeds ect., I can't get back up like I used to. My extra 45 pounds probably don't help matters any. I also would like to know if you do your gardening, digging, planting, etc. and taking care of your animals yourself. A few years ago, the TV show Victory Garden did a segment on Tasha Tudor which was very interesting. She was in her early 80s and lived in Vermont and raised a garden and had goats. She wrote some books, which I have. She was an inspiration to me too.

• Daisyduckworth
    21 years ago

I'm another oldie, let's just say in the second half of my century! It's good to see this forum on the go and let's hope we can all become new friends here. Being single, and in the upper age bracket particularly, can be challenging at times, especially for those of us who are not single by choice but by circumstance. Of course, there are some advantages - my mother, who was alone most of her life, used to say 'well, at least I don't have to wash anyone else's smelly socks!'. As always, she was right.

• lilod
    21 years ago

Hi all, and to answer your questions: yes, I do everything myself - I try not to dig in the garden, because the soil is rather poor to begin with, so I add stuff instead - alfalfa pellets, horse manure (DD has a horse). My helper is a lawn-tractor named Mowses with a little trailer - it comes in handy.
    DD lives on the property, but not in my house, she has her own and she helps when asked, but so far I don't ask her too much - may need to some time in the future
    The goats are only for brush-control - they are pigmies and don't need a lot of tending - except for feeding twice a day
    I find it an easy life.

• lindac
    21 years ago

Lilo, It seem that I remember you had a sister who used to hang around the garden web.....remind me...who was she...or did I dream that up?
    Linda C

• lilod
    21 years ago

I forgot, my sister used to post on the GP, but has not for a long time. She has moved to the West Coast just recently, lucky she got away before that big snow storm.
    I believe she used "Paola" or something like that as her name.

• SueZQue
    21 years ago

I've been married twice - 5 years in my twenties resulting in 1 child - 15 years in my 30's/40's. Now single 15 years and loving it. When I was single between marriages I was very anxious to find another man - I had a small son to raise and wanted a family for him.

As my second marriage started to fail, I really hesitated to go back to the single life and stayed in that marriage much longer than I should have. Once I screwed up the courage to leave I have never looked back.

It was only after my second marriage ended that I learned to take care of myself. By then, I didn't even know what I wanted I had been so busy taking care of everyone else.

I learned to indulge myself - VERY WELL. Now, I'm not sure I could ever give up my wonderful single life. I have a great job and can afford to keep myself very comfortable. I bought a brand new house just over a year ago and have turned it into a dream home. I have wonderful friends and family who love me and appreciate me.

Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have a sweet man in my life when I retire - but if that doesn't happen I'll be just fine.

• butterfly130
    21 years ago

I'm 58 1/2, live in MD, retired once from govt job and now working as a contractor, grown son (30 y.o.). Was married for 12 yrs, single for 4, then into a 9 yr relationship. Both times, used and abused, so I swore off trying any more. I have my own house, tow my own 27' camping trailer, and have friends to spend time with who are jealous of my free time. They have all said when they are single again, they will stay that way. I've done the singles dances, but it seems the guys only want the skinny, slinky women who sleep around. I have found that I enjoy my own company, and that of my friends (who are married) and I'm not looking any more. If I'm supposed to be with somebody, he hasn't found me yet, but I'm not sitting home waiting for him.

• mskeetpod
    21 years ago

Just thought I put in my 2 cents worth. Hope you all don't mind. I'm 59, single since July 02 ( widowed)Have 3 acres, 7 Barbadoes, 4 Goats, some Chickens, 2 graet Pyrenees, 2 Schipperkees, a Garden, a Job and never enough time.I live in Texas.
    Gertrudis

• teri2
    21 years ago

Hi Gertrudis. Glad you posted here as we always like to make new friends. I'm sorry for your loss but maybe you'll be able to get some support in your single life from the nice people here. Let's start with you helping me! What are Barbadoes, Pyrenees, and Schipperkees? Dogs?

Teri

• Judith
    Original Author
    21 years ago

My guess is that the first is a sheep and I know he other two are dogs. I have heard that Schipperkees can live to be over 20 years old which is twice the life span of some other dogs and that they are not prone to inherited diseases as are other breeds.

• lilod
    21 years ago

Hello Getrudis
    Another person with a menagerie - good. Do you have milk goats or are they lawnmowers/pasture pets like mine are? Barbados are such attrative sheep!
    Lilo

• mskeetpod
    21 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Sorry it took so long to answer all the questions.I just got back from Germany, had a great time.Yes Barbados are sheep.I can get milk from the goats. Got them mostly as Lawnmowers.A lot of stuff happend while I was gone.Sheep is going to have baby's
    My Pyr is going to have pups any day now.The are such great watchdogs.My two little black devilish Schipperkees are darlings. I may be having pups there too.Daughter kept them while I was on Vacation. Grandaughter told me, She thought they where doing it!!!And yes they can live up to 20 years.
    Great companian Dogs.

• Linda65
    21 years ago

Hi, another oldie here. I have a birthday next week and feel alot older than I am, 66. Just recovering from back surgery, and don't know if I will be able to work in my flower beds this year, which I just love to do. I will probably be looking for a new apartment, I live on the second floor and the steps are just too hard for me to do. I had two bad marriges but 3 great children, 4 grandkids and 1 great grand-son.
    I'm glad to see this forum is back, I used to visit along time ago. My favorites are gardening and pets.

• coco3
    21 years ago

Here I am . Another over the hill soul. But not down hill. Back up again. Will be 66 this summer. Work 4 days a week. Live on 6 acres with 2 dogs( A boxer and a German Shepherd) 3rabbits and am getting 35 chickens 25 barred rocks and 10 speckled Sussex. Been single for 20 yrs or so and am quite content to stay that way Life has been good to me. Also have 2 daughters and 2 Granddaughters all living close to me.

• itsmesuzq
    21 years ago

Hey everyone!! I was a little bored this afternoon so I decided to browse The Forum and I was delighted to see "The Single Life" was up and running again!

As soon as I saw this topic I had to jump in too! I'm 57, not married, (divorced after 30 years) have two furryfriends (Bailey & Paisley) whom some folks would call cats, but are as human as you and I. I'm so happy to read that there are so many of "us" out there.....this should be fun. Although I'm not retired yet, I am able to check in often on The Forum, (I'm a semi-regular on "The Kitchen Table".)

After reading the posts from Lilod and MskeetPod I am absolutely positive that the BEST is yet to come!! I am in awe of all of you - you are certainly running circles around me! Oh, and Judith.....I dream about living your life! Lucky you!

I will check in often....I feel like I just found a room of brand new friends!

~Susan

• Judith
    Original Author
    21 years ago

It's so n ice to see all of the older singles on here and a lot of us are in similar situations.

Susan, my life isn't as wonderful as it might appear from my description. I have a lot of hardships trying to do everything by myself.

I hope we can keep this forum active. I enjoy reading everyone's posts.

Judith

• teri2
    21 years ago

I started a round of physical therapy last Thursday and was amused/annoyed at a couple of assumptions the staff made about me. Keep in mind that my hair is a beautiful, streaky gray (I'm not being facecious, I love it) and my face shows every one of its 62 years.

First, the therapist who took my history asked about previous operations. Among other things, I mentioned knee surgery. She replied, "Was it complete replacement or partial?" Now did I say anything about knee replacement? No. It was a skiing accident.

Then, when checking out I tried to make appointments for next week. The clerk had a terrible time finding any available time. After 10 minutes of struggling, she looked at me and said, "I'm sorry but Medicare regulations mean that I can schedule you only in (such and such) times." Now did I tell them I'm on Medicare? No. I work full time just so I can have full insurance coverage.

I can tell already that I'm going to have to develop a pointed, albiet pleasant, response to being stereotyped. 'Cause I'm not liking it one bit. How about you? Got any stories?

Teri

• Linda65
    21 years ago

Teri2,
    What an assumtion to make, how rude!!! For myself, I have colored my hair for 30 years. So, no gray hair, and most people can't believe I'm as old as I am. And that sure makes me feel good. I tried one time to let it grow out, but couldn't stand to see the gray hair. Or silver, as my hairdresser says. it just made me feel too old. Its pretty on other people, but not me.
    Linda

• Artldy2
    21 years ago

Hi...By the response I see there are alot of us that are older. I retired 1 1/2 yrs. ago and have been single a long time. Took me about 6 mos. but now my life is full and happy. Sure there may be a couple of lonely evenings but for the most part its great. I teach a few art classes a week, work on crafts ( I do alot of craft shows around the holidays) volunteer at my grand daughters school and recently volunteered at the local animal shelter and help foster kittens if something has happened to the mother cat. I am enjoying meeting new people

• TWOP
    20 years ago

Well.... its Saturday night and I must be desperate. I searched through all the popular matchmaking websites with no luck... and this is my last stop of the evening.

Now... the real truth... it is Saturday night and I am cooking and listening to Prairie Home Companion on the radio. I started my day catching up on paperwork... then fixed a broken window... then went to a couple estate sales to see if I could buy some better trash than the trash I already have... then went for a 12 mile bike ride... stopped and fondled new air nailers at Lowe's... then grocery shopped. I will have some wine out on the porch as the sun sets... then catch up on some reading and watch Iron Chef... and then zonk out in a luxurious queen size waterbed. All these things represent the absolute freedom of being single and alone.

There comes a time when you are older and dating just seems to be a bother. When you come down to it, dating really is a lot of trouble, ya know. But... then... there is always the chance that you will be swept off your feet by a new acquaintance... and suddenly... the concept of suffering through being pleasant for an evening and displaying good manners will not seem to be so remote. What a profound thought as I sit here and type this in my underwear.

• lulie___wayne
    20 years ago

When I saw the post "Any Older ...." , I almost thought that I could legitimately post but then I realized it said, "Single". LOL Oh well. I am older, but not single.
    Lu

• mskeetpod
    20 years ago

I don't feel like I'm OLDER, just nicely aged like a good Wine. You know, we get better with age.. Have some grey in my hair, earned it in the last 4 years...I do feel lonely at times..Keep very busy...Those old coots out there all want the younger stuff anyway...Because they don't think they are getting old, until they can't keep up with it.....I'm to set in my way and like the way things are going. I'm working full time in a Nursing Home,( nightshift) with Alzheimer Patients.Have my animals to talk too when I get home. And yes, they will talk back, sometimes.
    Going to see the kids tomorrow. Going to fix a Italien dinner...Trying a new recipe I saw on TV... I like to do this on my 2 day off week.I will let you know if they liked it...
    More to come later........
    Gertrudis

• goldy
    20 years ago

Born in 1930 I wonder sometimes where the time went.I still feel young as long as I don't look in the mirror.With my pet dogie and this computer I have so much to look forward to.I gave up gardening a long time ago .Still have a few plants in my apartment that I spray each morning.Sometimes I long for male companionship but it's just a fleeting thing.When I hear of all the cheating going on it makes me wonder.God has been good to me and for that I'm thankful.Have a good New Year.Goldy

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH