Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Check Up

Posted by gneegirl (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 9:56

Hi all,

Sseems like everyone is hibernating for the winter - it's pretty quiet. But SPRING is coming, so it's time to wake up!!

Just thought I'd start a new thread, just to check up on everyone. I'm in a slow-down mode since my kitchen is nearly finished. Don't know where to put my mind since I don't have the kitchen to think about anymore. Soon though I'll be outside thinking I can have a pretty garden this summer - hmmmm.

What is everyone else doing to get ready for the new season?

Hope all are well and having fun with family and friends.

gng

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Check Up

Hi, Mary! Well, so far I have cut some forsythia, curly willow and french pink pussy willow branches, and have them breaking in my living room and kitchen. The yellow of the forsythia is always so refreshing. All three types of branches will root in the vase, then I will plant them in large pots, so I can move them to Florida with me this fall.

I started spring cleaning this morning - after about 4 hours of that, I was done for today - too much cleaning makes a woman ugly!

o

Oh, so that's why my mirror broke - just kidding, he, he, he...

That was a good one Jo!

I love forsythias - the color is so welcoming when in bloom. I had a huge garden of them at a rental house (1 acre border planting), but after blooming, the branches left a lot to be desired. I've been wanting to plant some here at this house but haven't gotten around to it - like a lot of things!! I would love to live in a warmer climate to plant something besides pansies and impatients. I had some purple and pink coneflower but of course it was too sunny - my entire yard is sunnny really. they didn't make it but I'm sure I'll see some popping up where I don't want them. I planted 6 of them at my other house. Before I moved, there were tons of them - in 3 yrs!! But maintaining them was a pain. I have a LOT of tree roots and grasses that I want to get rid of this year, but landscaping costs are outrageous, and I can't do it alone because of my shoulder injury and of course my back (age and degenerating stuff). I wish I enjoyed gardening when I was younger. I can mow the heck out of a yard - it's actually relaxing. When I did landscaping work, I would cut an average of 7 good-sized yards a day, plus all the other extra stuff. Somehow though, mowing my yard seems like work (that I don't get paid for!!)

Oh well, glad you shared. I was just trying to wake up the folks.

See ya,

gng

o

Mary, it's not easy to get folks to post on this forum - I guess they just don't feel they have anything of interest to share - little do they know that just because it seems insignificant to them, it's entertaining to the rest of us!

For instance, tomorrow morning I am taking my Tahoe in to have a minor scratch, on a rear quarter panel, repaired to the tune of $300+. While it's there, I am having them detail it out, check all the brakes, belts and fluids, rotate the tires, inspect it for re-licensing, and making it showroom beautiful.

I expect it will cost me $200+ to get all that done, but it's what Dear Husband would have done, were he still alive. If I take good care of it, it will last me a long time!

I expect my grandsons to be here for my birthday - April 8th - that's very exciting for me - I can't wait! I've already raided Borders for books to read to them, and of COURSE we will go to Walmart - their favorite store - to buy some toys. I am so thrilled to spend money on them! LOL

o

Hey you two! Oooo I love the look of forsythia, curly willow and french pink pussy willow. I planted a forsythia a few years ago and it did very well and bloomed two years in a row; then, it died! Not sure the cause, but it could have been gophers that chewed up the roots. Once traded for pink pussy willow cuttings, but they didn't take. I don't have very good luck with coneflowers. Maybe I over-water or something because they always die. It's maddening especially since you see them growing wild in other places!

Jo, I hope they do a great job on your Tahoe. That's something special to look forward to -- your grandsons!

Nothing exciting happening here. My DD's inlaws came and watched my grandbaby for a few hours so I went and had a manicure and then met a friend for lunch at Chipolte's (sp). It's a fairly new sort of restaurant where you go up to a server and order what you want. Being my first time, I just ordered a chicken burrito and a drink. The taste was pretty good. I never get a burrito with meat in it because if I find skin, fat, uggghhh, that ruins it for me, but I took a chance and it turned out o.k. It was a nice outing and we caught up on a lot, until my cell rang and it was my granddaughter asking if I was outside her school. I was supposed to pick her up at 2:45, but the time just got away from me! Good thing it wasn't too far so she didn't have too long of a wait.

Later.

o

Carol, I can get you some forsythia if you want to try it again.

I remember when my middle son was in first grade, my then-husband and I got mixed up on who was to pick him up. The school finally called and said the found the little fellow sitting on a school step, crying his heart out. I felt so bad - he had been waiting for one of us to pick him up for over an hour. You couldn't do that today - the kid would either be kidnapped or someone would report you for child abuse.

Carol, did you have a wonderful birthday?

o

Jo, who is Carol?

o

LOL! I was jumping back and forth between here and Dave's - sorry Eloise!

Please let me remove my tongue from my eyebrows and try again: Eloise, if you want to try rooting some more forsythia, I can send you cuttings OR root them for you and send them - don't water newly planted shrubs unless you are in a drought.

o

I'm getting ready for a wedding....not mine but my daughters. Sounds like I need to learn how to dance so I can have a dance with the bride...lol.....I'm more relaxed today than I was yesterday....USDA has come in and given my mom a grant to take care of the repairs to the sewer system to her house...talking almost 3 grand that was going to have to be raised ASAP if they hadn't approved her....Thanks to Diane for finding this possibility. I'm so busy at work, I don't have time to find the outlets to assist the elderly. Now I can spend my savings on a wedding instead of a sewer line...YAY! (I think)

o

Hey Michael - that's great news. I kinda guessed Diane was helping get the info. Sound's like she's a trooper too. I'm afraid my Dad's house will need a new septic sytem. Not sure what that will cost but I hope the house sells before it all goes to pot. It's a really nice house, but they are too elderly to take care of it, so it needs major maintenance.

Be sure to post those dance pics from the wedding!

o
Check into it

Mary,you need to get on the horn and check this stuff out...for elderly and disabled the money is there at the right time. It's a grant, if the house sells within 3 years for her profit, they have the right to expect their money back. If my mom were to pass away, the USDA guy said they might request, but can't do anything about it. Get the wheels in motion now.

o
upon further review

P.S....after rereading your post, it's illegal to sell known property with problems without disclosing to prospective buyer in most states....please be aware.

o

O.k. Michael here it is: Put you right hand around your daughter's waist, hold her right had with your left, then move side to side to the beat of the music. Better yet, tell your DD you would prefer to dance to a faster beat, and let loose. Then it won't matter how you move because you will be doing your own thang, lol! Seriously, if you and your DD have time, ask her to practice that one dance together (or ask Diane). Don't worry, it will be such a wonderful day so the dancing won't be the highlight of the ceremony.

What wonderful news that your mom was granted some funds for fixing her home. I can imagine that was one of the things weighing heavy on you.

Thanks Jo, when the weather is better, we can trade. Signed Carol, lol!

gng, do what Michael suggest about a grant for your parents home, or tell your BIL to look into it.

o

Eloise, you know why that slip happened - Carole and Steve (from D.G.) are constantly on my mind - I am practically re-living my own horror - and I just typed without putting them out of my mind first - again, I appologize.

o

Jo - hugs to Carole and Steve!!

I'll be so happy when your Grans get there. They can be so heartwarming and before you know it, the laughs and smiles are unstoppable. I watch my sister have so much fun with her 18mo GD. Be sure to post pics!!

o

Thanks Michael, on the disclosure. I know about that. Where I live, you can sell "as-is", but I'm pretty sure there may be some provisions in the law for disclosing or fixing major problems like the septic system. They are in Michigan and I'm not sure about the laws there. Funny thing, I'm so honest, i would probably dislose even if I didn' to. I clean my house before turning it over to the new owners - UNLIKE THE POs OF MY CURRENT HOUSE!! It took 2 hours for me to clean the washing machine. Luck would have it, I still had to buy new ones!!

Thanks for the "warning"...

o

Jo, Did I miss something? I don't know who Carole and Steve are, and why are you reliving your own horror???? No need for apology, I've been called worst things, lol!

When I put up my house for sale in April, it will be "as is". The pool has a crack and I will not be fixing it, plus there are other cosmetic things that need to be done to the house. Whoever buys this house will be because they love the space.

o

You have to disclose everything amiss, in a government loan, but if it's a cash deal, whatever you do is between the two of you. HOWEVER, you can be sued big time if something major goes wrong, so it's best to state any problems to the interested party!

o

Here's the song that she wants to dance with her father...I don't do country music...Maybe I'll get some help before then...I have a feeling I will have a tear in my eye.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ready, Set, Don't Go

o

Well, maybe you can talk her into 'Butterfly Kisses' instead - it's a beautiful song! Check out the video below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob Carlton performing 'Butterfly Kisses'

o

Michael, I am sure you will do just fine with the dance. The song she picked is very nice.

Jo, I love "Butterfly Kisses" and know this one for sure would make me cry -- love it!

o

Eloise, it's the most-played Dad/Daughter dance for weddings - it's just BEAUTIFUL, and so easy to dance to. Michael, you would just practically stand still and hold KC close to you - a very endearing dance, indeed!

o

It's been a while since I've gone to a wedding, so I didn't know Butterfly Kisses was chosen so many times for weddings. I will be going to a wedding on March 29 though (young folks from my church), but not going to the reception so don't know what the song will be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here