Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nothing to see here...just amusing myself

Posted by tinmantu (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 08 at 20:46

Since I constantly play with my camera, I figured rather than messing up other threads, I'd open this one and throw some pics that I take in here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walking on water.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nothing to see here...just amusing myself

Thanks Michael! So that entire lake is frozen over? Burrrr, those geese (is that what they are) look cold sitting on the ice.

o

Hi Eloise....it's probably 75% frozen over.....some of my closeups showed where they were only standing on on leg at a time....it was a 50 deg. day when I shot them. Saw a couple guys out fishing on the ice in one area, but couldn't get a good angle of them. I'm surprised the geese haven't made their way a little further south. They seem to be content, though...next week, weather permitting, I hope to get out to the pyramids and catch some sunset shots.

o

Love the geese! I saw some geese looking late to the party the other day on my way to the wine country. My drive takes me through the Sacramento delta where many birds find sanctuary on their way south if they don't live there all the time. Herons, geese, egrets, cormorants, some sea birds who wander up the waterways. Mike, what are the pyramids?

I was up in Sonoma and Napa last week and took some shots while trying out a new camera.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wine country images.

o

Those are beautiful pics, Michael. Thanks for sharing.

o

Fishing through ice, wow Michael! Living does continue, right, irregardless of the weather. I feel like I would hybernate the entire winter if I lived out there!

barnmon, I would love to live in Napa, but can't afford it, lol! I loved your pictures especially the ones with the knarly (sp) vines/tree.

o

Glad you liked the Eileen....thanks for your pics too....gave me a view of a place I've never been. I like the barn pic, I'm going to start experimenting with more black and white photos of old structures like that. I'll post a link to the pyramids below..natural formations.

jyg, glad to share them with people that appreciate.

Eloise, fishermen never let a little ice stop them. I've never been a real fisherman I guess. Used to be, but now I'm the kind of guy that sits in the sun on a hot summer day with a line in the water, while sipping a beer and hoping I don't get a bite to interrupt my serenity...I'd rather eat a T-bone and saute mushrooms and shrimp, than clean and cook a fish for dinner. When I do catch, I release to avoid the hassle.

BTW, this thread isn't just for my pics. Anybody is invited and welcome. Some of us posted pics of ourselves a while back and it got lost in a non-pic thread. I'd never go back and grab them as they aren't my property, but feel welcome to add them here if you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pyramids

o

Wow! Those are very cool! And I thought Kansas was FLAT. Who knew! I'll look forward to your pics. Theirs lack artfulness.

o

The area I live in had to be an oasis for settlers, after traveling over the middle part of the state, for sure...I hope to get some pics that are not so "plain jane" as those photos were. Just have to see what happens....storm's coming tonight and tomorrow and country roads aren't fun after a thaw.

o

Finally found a nice day to take a ride....have a flat tire to fix tomorrow because of it, but it was worth it...needed to get away from the real world for a short time....I'd rant, but it pales in comparison to others lives like JYG so I'll keep my mouth shut...All I'll say is that I will be going away for a while in the near future but plan to be back....for now, a few pics for my amusement

Here is a link that might be useful: Pyramids

o

Fantastic Michael! That lone bird on top of one of the pyramids must have a good view of everything. Thanks for the pictures; you give us all a temporary avenue to escape the real world as well!

Going away for a while??? Hope it's vacation. You haven't been kicked out of GW have you?

o

Those are amazing. Absolutely amazing. I never knew.......

You know what they remind me of? Stonehenge. Or castle ruins.

Thanks for the pictures, and hurry back wherever you're going.

o

Check out the link below for the history of these rock monuments in western Kansas - who knew there once was a sea in this area - pretty interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: History of rock formations

o

thanks all....No Eloise, I'm not getting banished...it will be a vacation/sabbatical, I'll be around for another couple/three weeks.....I've had a bunch of stuff dropped on my plate lately and not a big enough spoon to keep up...ripped into one brother last night for not enough help, he said he was calling the other bro, so we'll see what happens.

Hi Jean..yeah, from afar it does look remind me of Stonehenge also...Gods gift to western Kansas since he made the rest of the place flat...heh

Jo, thanks for that link...I've gone sea shell hunting here in the high plains before... found a few sharks teeth, never found an arrowhead though.

o

Hi Michael - in your usual style, you've posted some GREAT shots! They do look like stonehenge. Yeah, we got some great places in this country.

I know we will all miss you, your rants, and all while you are gone. But sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do - understood on that one. We saved your spot here before; I'm sure it'll be here when you get back. Just be sure you get back!!

gng

o

Michael, I hope your vacation is going to take you to Jersey or someplace wonderful. I HOPE it's not to tend to someone else's needs, other than your own.

I know you too well - in the past, you have been the 'sole support' for other people's problems - please don't let that be the case now - oops, I think you and I have already had this discussion, haven't we?!

o

You know me, Jo...can't resist a tilt against a windmill or chasing a rainbow. I wish this was all pleasure. I won't be going to Jersey, but Jersey will be coming to me and once all this crap is over, maybe I'll find time to escape to the mountains for a week or so.

o

You know how good I am at giving advice - if you want to talk about anything, just call.

We will pray that you and whats-her-name (want to tell us her first name?) will get to go away somewhere cozy and sexy and AWAY from FAMILY! You certainly deserve a loving lady and someplace nice to escape to!!!

o

Michael, glad you are NOT being kicked out of GW. That came to mind only because in other post on GW, some have been talking about it. Sorry that you are having family? problems, and sincerely hope that your brothers will pitch in and help carry whatever the burden. If it's family related, know that you are not alone. I have a sibling who is addicted to drugs and alcohol, and has caused lots of grief to my mom. We love that sibling, but we also don't want mom hurt. This sibling lives with and is supported (financially) by mom. I am sort of protected by living here, but hear about what is going on there. We try to help mom, but it's hard when she won't kick my sibling out! I sort of understand that being a parent. You take care of yourself.

Yesterday after 4 PM drove 30 miles one way to pick up a brugmansia cutting! I know I am nuts, but I love plants and it definitely was worth it!

Blessing to all of you.

o

I've been off most of the day, after spending last night with USDA...my mom's house is in bad shape and finally getting some help from my family....also Diane, AKA Ms. New Jersey has been great in helping me find financial avenues to take the burden off of me, so I can at least concentrate at work during the day... she is a special lady....Hopefully tomorrow will bring more information towards getting this all resolved. Boss is understanding, but my banker isn't...heh

o

Michael, that's how a real relationship is supposed to be - supporting each other! Thank GOD you finally have someone in your life who believes in you and will help you - you deserve only the very best!

o

Hugs to you Michael - you are a special guy - and I don't me "spieshall". Here's hoping it all works out. We can't chose our family memebers but dealing with them I guess makes us stronger - to deal with all the nuts out there that aren't family - LOL. Sounds like you are warming up to Diane - hope that works out (if you want it to). But, if nothing else, she sounds like a friend that has your best interest at heart. That stands for a lot in this big ole crazy world. Remember, people are in your life for a reason, and a season. She may be "the" one, or "the" friend that you need right now. Just relax and take in the blessing that she brings for now. You probably could use it 'bout now.

o

Oh, Mary - what a lovely post!

o

Yes Mary, that was a nice post...and hugs back at you lady....these last few days have been hectic, but if any positives have come from it, it has opened up more communications among my family. My brothers know that Diane has been a major help to all of us in finding avenues to help with thousands of dollars of repairs....oldest brother asked me tonight "soooo, when are you getting married"...told him "that's what she keeps asking me".....To be fair to her, the pressure has backed off because she sees the stress with KC's wedding and then all this is putting on me. Instead of contributing to the stress, she is helping to ease it....that means a lot to me. My friends here mean a lot to me also. Thank you for your support.

o

Michael, when I used to work, one of our faculty always said when things were hectic, "this too shall come to an end", and it's true. Soon you will see the light at the end of the tunnel, and say "whew, glad that's over with", lol! I too sometimes get more on my plate then I can handle, but then I remember that it hasn't been the first time, and I survived the other times. It sort of clears my mind where then I can come up with solutions. I am so happy for you that you have a person in your life that stands by your side and helps instead of hinders.

o

Hold up, Michael - have you ever MET Diane in person? I might have missed something, but I thought you were meeting her, for the first time, in June.

o

Hi Jo...yes, I have known her for about 4 yrs now...this will be her 5th visit...last year she was here for a couple months, met some of my family (including KC and her family). She has a daughter in college in Jersey and has a home there, near the beach. It's becoming too much for her to maintain though and wants to get out from under it. I have no interest in Jersey.

o
ahh, the light at the end of the tunnel

Eloise, I saw that light at the end of the tunnel and it was a freight train. Photobucket

o

Phew! Ya had me worried there - thought some one was tryin' to steal you sight-unseen! Ya never wanna buy a pig-in-a-poke, thou knows!!!

o

Thanks guys for the comments, and Eloise is so right on with hers. We got to where we are on the backs of fear turned to courage and determination. We learned the lessons we needed to carry us out of the valley and to the top of the next mountain.

Michael - I'm glad that you are seeing a light. Remember though, it's only a freight train if we let it be one. And if it turns out that the freight train won't stop, just hang out in the tunnel a little while longer until it slows down. It is so funny how the less desirable situations cause us to deal with things/family. It really is healthy, as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

I so hope you enjoy your visit with Diane.

o

Thanks Mary...it is indeed a freight train...I won't go into detail, but I am more convinced that my elderly moms mind is going faster, every day. I've been telling family to get ready it's coming faster than you think...it's almost here. I can see the light. They haven't seen it yet, they are just around the bend behind me.

o

Michael, at your mother's age, that is not uncommon. FYI - your family may NEVER see the light - we tend to only see what we want to see.

o

You are right Jo. I'm dealing with that with my Dad, and now my Steop-Mom. No one saw it coming for her, but I did. She is a very "needy" person and is ALWAYS complaining. She is my dad's caretaker and has a real rough time with that. She also has major health challenges hereself. But over the past year or so, I watched my Dad's health start to slip, for no reason. I began to realize it was because she wasn't keeping up with his meds, or hers, for that matter. She recently had a stroke - 3-10 days before anyone knew it. They were in the house together with her trying to take care of everything, under the influence of a stroke. Since she was such a whiner and complainer, no one got the connection that she was really not OK. They both are going to be fine - if we can ever get through this whole healthcare fiasco we have in this country. In about 2 weeks they will have no where to go but home to care for each other with their alzheimer's minds, because Medicare will run out and they don't qualify for Medicaid until the house is sold. What are the chances of that happening in this RE market!! So, yeah, you are right, folks see what they want to see, usually until it's too late and their is a whole lotta garbage to have to sort through. Unfortunately, usually it ends up that there is only one garbage person trying to hold everything together - the caretaker. WE GOTTA DO BETTER IN THIS COUNTRY!! As family members,we need to realize that it will happen to everyone at some point, and we'd better start planning for it early.

Hang in there Michael - don't forget though, if ya get stuck, that's what this Forum is for!!

o

I won't go into details, but my brothers have come through for me....Major expenses with mom and along with my dealing with my daughters wedding, they have said "do whatever it takes with mom, we will take care of it"....that takes a load off. Reminds me of the song by "The Band"..."The Weight"

o

Michael, my dear Friend - any details you wish to discuss, unload, get off your heart - tell us - we care!

"She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother"

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows when
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry her
She ain't heavy, she's my mother.

So on we go
Her welfare is of my concern
No burden is she to bear
We'll get there
For I know
She would not encumber me

If I'm laden at all
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another.

It's a long, long road
From which there is no return
While we're on the way to there
Why not share
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all

She's my mother

o

Great news Michael - no matter what, families do stick together when the going gets tough. Then again - it could be 'cause it's MOM. Mom's are special like that; especially to the boys!!!

Keep on hanging there. BTW, prayer works and I'm praying for ya, Kid!

Jo, thanks for reminding of those lyrics - pretty special ones at that!

gng

o

Ya, Mary - this song STILL makes me weep, as I think of all I might have been able to do for my loved one, had I not been so selfish!

o

Ok Jo, no talk like that. It's OK to weep, but never second guess what you could have done. Remember what I said about Seasons - "here for a reason and only for a season".

Your situation is different now that he's not here. When he was here, the evironment was different. So many factors play into what we do and cannot do - even what we are willing to, or not to do. So you do what you can when you can, but it's not up to us when our time here is over. Your heart is still pretty heavy 'cause it hasn't been that long for you. So you are still going through all of those crazy mixed emotions. It's been almost 14 years for me with my daughter and everyday I still wonder whether I made the right choice to disconnect everything. But, I can't dwell on that because I will NEVER know if that was the right thing to do. I can't second guess that. I can't second guess about whether I was a good "mommy". I did the best I knew with the knowledge I had at the time. The same as you with your hubby.

I'm not fussing - believe me. And, I don't mean to use this thread to stand on my soapbox about this. I just don't want you to ever second guess what you did or did not do. You did whatever you could at, and for the time. God knows your heart and that's what counts. If you couldn't do better, he knew that too and stepped in to help. So, don't be so hard on yourself - you didn't make the illness and you surely couln't make it go away. Just remember the good times, no matter how far away they seem. Keep your chin up - and now give me a smile...

luv ya kid!!

gng

o

Oh, Mary - I needed to hear your words - THANK YOU! I'm trying to keep the chin up, but it seems to sag a lot when I least expect it to.

You are right, I did try to 'save' him from himself, but I couldn't. What I meant by my statement was: since I was his wife, maybe I should have entered him into rehab, even though he didn't feel he had a problem with alcohol.

Maybe I should have put him in the hospital, against his wishes, when his cancer got so bad, and maybe he would have been healed.

Every day, I think of him laying in that grave, and ask God 'WHY'? What could I have done, in the 20 years I knew him, to make things turn out differently.

Then, I start to sob, because it was such a loss for the world - he was truely a good guy - one who just couldn't control his urges to smoke and drink.

I still love him so much and miss him desperately!!

o

Very touching, Jo...I'll maybe share my problems once I know what's going to happen. Took a ride to take my mind off of things today. Played with my new lens. Took 116 pics, only posted these...might add more later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring is coming

o

Those pictures are wonderful - you do such a great job of taking them - thanks for sharing them with us!

o

Michael - YOU ROCK!!! Looks like that ride was pretty theraputic - what great pics!

Feels funny to post in the early morning during the week, but I'm home waiting on the exterminator. I have the ugliest crickets and box elder beetles that I've managed to get under control with regular treatments (thank goodness!) So I'm sooooo happy to see this guy every 3 months. Anyway, hope everyone has a great day - talk to ya later.

gng

o

Thank you for the compliments...still learning the camera, thus only 15 or so posted out of 116 that satisfied me. I'm looking at getting out to Colorado next month and hope to have some different perspectives besides my small little world.

o

Can't to see those pics! I remember the drive across country when I was young and seeking Pike's Peak, the Grand Canyon, the Painted Desert, and all those wonderful marvels out that way. I even have pics of my sister and me at Pike's Peak, in pink pedal-pushers on Santa's lap in July! We ere 8 and 9 - what fun that was. We also had snowball fights there too.

Enjoy your trip!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here