Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you pass time on nights and weekends?

Posted by kayjones (plant_lady2@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Jan 8, 08 at 19:23

I'm in my late 50's and single. It's tougher when you're single, because you don't have that 'hanging-out' person. My nights and weekends are pretty routine - too routine.

Here are some things I do:

web surfing
walking the dog, rain or shine
watching some television, but not a lot
talking on the phone with my friends, but not a lot
taking care of personal business (bills, errands, shopping)
laundry occasionally (usually do that on days off)

How about you - what do you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you pass time on nights and weekends?

Hey K-J, you sound like me, minus the dog. But, 2yrs ago, I did have a dog. I just let him out back and we ran aroung the yard. Miss that little BAD guy!

I'm mid 50s - almost, and far as I'm concerned, there has got to be a better way! Wish we were closer and could hang out. OK, where would we go?????

Hang in there!!

gng

o

Gnee, we would go on a TRIP to where the weather is warm and the people are friendly! Heck, we can do that anyway, huh?!

o

life changes all the time. When I lived in an apartment I could afford cable, so when I wasn't hanging out with a girlfriend, I was surfing or watching cable. Now that I have a house and live alone again (daughter moved out) I spend a lot of time redoing this house to how I would like it....on a budget of course. In the summer I have been creating a backyard flower garden and tiling my house and painting and doing other stuff. I cant afford cable anymore so I dont watch as much TV. I have "girl night" every friday where I either have my friend come over, or I go over there and we drink beer, eat dinner and watch a movie....or I help her work on redecorating/cleaning her house. Now that I have a boyfriend again, I have him over for dinner on wednesday and then usually spend part of saturday and part of sunday with him, usually at his house but since I've been working on finishing my kitchen, he's been coming over to help me out a little bit. I need to get it done so I need to stay home and not go to his house. When I'm not consumed with all that, there have been times when I go on a reading binge and will read a couple books in a row...then I dont read for quite awhile until the urge hits me again. My friend is trying to lose weight, so when the weather is nice we try to walk around the lake a few times a week....besides working for a living, that's what I do with my time.

o

Try to sleep at night, lol! Aside from Gabriele having a boyfriend, I do pretty much what you all do, i.e., read, watch tv, shop, clean, etc. Was going to a yoga class Wednesday evenings at a college, but that is over with now. A couple of months ago, I was going out Saturdays dancing, but the friend I went with, that friendship sort of fell apart. I need new friends! Some of my other single friends always have an excuse for not going out, and the others are married. Sad state of affairs.

o

Well, once again I will suggest that we agree on a place, then start a COMMUNE just for we single gals on this forum! We could invite Michael over to help us once in a while - he's really quite versatile - and others could join as we saw fit - what cha think?

o

Just like any other night. I sit at this machine for a bit, watch a movie, play a video game. When I go to bed always alone, I watch 2 episodes of Stargate SG1, read until I am sleepy, then turn out the light. What I don't do is watch regular TV shows or sit around wishing I had a mate. I have no headaches, no tension....ahh Peace.

o

Once the kitchen is finished - FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY!!!, you guys can come here and hang out. My credit cards will probably melt if I try to use them for a TRIP!! It's not warm here, but it would work for sure. I could cook for days!! It's funny, I keep trying to put something on the counertop that isn't there until Friday (I hope), and there is no water running, so why am I trying to wash the stupid dishes. Anyway, yeah, come on up, out or from where ever you are. It'll be fun - we could all do nothing here together!!

o

LOL, Gnee! It sounds as if you are doing everything normally! If it were my house - I would try to wash dishes in water from the bathroom and put them somewhere - I am just that anal about keeping things 'done up'!

o

Weeknights, come home from work and watch a recording of the Steve Wilkos show...I like the guy, what can I say...fix some dinner, do a little tidying. The tv set is on but it's mostly noise, usually on a news channel until I'm ready to relax for the evening. Phone call or two and lay back and relax and find a movie on Turner Classic or AMC. Weekends, I might walk to the tavern for a game of pool and company on Friday night...Weather permitting I try to get out to the lake, just to get out of the house.....Now that the playoffs are here, I may not leave the house for a couple of weekends, regardless of the weather.

o

K-J, then I have to take back my offer for you guys to come visit - you would have a rogh time here right now. The whole house is a BIG MESS!!! I plan on spending my birthday on Sunday, cleaning at least a part of it. Maybe I'll finish just before taking the wallpaper down in the bedrooms - another BIG MESS. I was trying to keep up with it, but I finally gave up. I remember when I was selling my other house, I didn't have a dishwasher and keeping it spotless was a real laugh. I was always rushing out early in the morning to go to work so I didn't have time to wash/dry dishes before I left. I designated one cabinet to store stuff till I could get home and wash everything at night. To add more drama, I was doing a lot of fixups which had to be cleaned up every night before going to bed. I am so glad those days were over. Maybe that's why I'm not jumping at the chance to relocate for my job, to Colorado Springs!

o

Gnee, I wouldn't be brave enough nor smart enough to do all that you are doing. I appreciate that you are able to make those improvements. As for me, I always let my husband (when he was alive) worry about such things and I never learned how. I can put butter on toast though - AND I can assemble and decorate a cake!

o

Hi guys, remember me? Linda in the Adirondacks. On weekends, it seems I'm pretty busy most of the time. They pass so quickly it almost feels like I'm still working, which I'm not. This weekend, beginning today, I had bought a turkey for Christmas and was under the weather so was unable to cook it, so my sister is going to cook it today. We will share dinner tonight about 530. I wanted it today, because today would have been my husbands 66 bithday. So we are going to celebrate that he lived.

Typically on a Saturday, I go over to visit anothe of my sisters. She works all week and sometimes I help her catch up on house stuff. Often times of a Friday or Saturday night, my nephew and his wife invite me to thier place for dinner and a movie. that's loads of fun. they are so well wonderful people. They are pretty good to this old lady. If not then I pour a glass of wine and curl up with a good book or something on tv.

On Sundays, I generally go to church and then maybe out to breakfast somewhere. Maybe a run to the family dollar store. A thread running thru all of this is my Mom, who is 85 years old, dwelling in the same Seniors complex that I live in. I scoot in to see her a couple of times a day, sometimes only a couple of minutes more often then not a half hour to an hour. Many times, I do a quick fix on her computer of one sort or another.

Whew not that tired me out, maybe a nap is in my future. yeah I try to fit one of those in from time to time. By the way, I'm 60 and have been widowed for five and a half years.

o

Welcome home, Linda. As you probably know, we are a rowdy bunch of 'older' people and we have as much fun as old people CAN have - or at least we TALK about it! LOL

o

Hi Kay, thank you. yes I do read the postings here quite often. I enjoy this forum, apartment dwelling and I also like to read, the kitchen table one.
Linda

o

Hi Linda - I remember you from other Forums but can't remember which ones. I think I even responded to one. K-J is right, sometimes we are a bit rowdy but all in good taste. But as I'me getting older, I realize that the past generations really knew how to make the best of it and to have fun, even just with each other. My Mom retired from Howard University after 30 yrs and then became a member of the retirees organization. When she passed, the other members kind of took me under their wing. I had never had so much fun!! Now as I'm getting closer to that age, I've found that the fun things that "old" people do, are just that - FUN! We laugh here, and we cry here, but we also share here so that after we cry, we can all start having fun again - LOL. But I really luv these guys a lot! Glad to see you here too!

gng

o

me and a friend of some 20 years,we get together on friday and watch music videos(80's).we're both into cb radios and we cruise around in the wee hours of the morning listening to 80's radio(jackFM here in dallas) and talking on /listening to the cb's.we cruise around like that and hit coffee shops and wind up browsing through walmart at 2 or 3am for 80's cd's.we spend the entire weekend watching 80's movies,listening to 80's music and playing on the cb radio.in the summer months,once a month we use a weekend to go to six flags and do the rides.we generally wind up doing six flags by ourselves as it's not easy to find females in their 50's that will still do the rides.

o

Something to be said for brainlessness, surely, although I can't think of anything right now.

o

Now, Asolo - don't rain on the old folks' parade! Pray tell - what is 'brainless' about hanging with friends?

o

Please read again the activities described and the time spent. I'm quite comfortable with "brainless" as an appropriate adjective.

o

So many books, so little time. Does anyone here read Vince Flynn's novels? I swear, he was nearly prophetic when he described a raid on the bad guys in the town of Quetta,the capital of Pakistan's southwestern Balochistan Province. It was nearly identical to the real raid in which Usama bin Laden was killed, from the Navy Seals' use of helicopters to the protection of civilians. Flynn wrote the book, "Memorial Day," back in 2003. I'm going to join a mysteries book club that meets in my library.

Lately, I've been interested in the ads on TV for Ancestry.com. I've started doing a little research on my family tree, and it's really quite interesting. Besides that, I'm making some points with my Mother.

o

Sounds like the same stuff I do. Watch tv (reality shows), mow the lawn, work, occasionally go out for dinner with someone. I don't have any friends here other than coworkers. I sometimes feel old and useless (60). No boyfriend and I sometimes wonder who wants someone my age. Seems like 60 year old men want 50 or 40 year old women. I sometimes wonder what will happen to me in old age. Who is going to worry about me and care for me. It happens to all of us, but maybe when you do not have a spouse, you worry more about it. Am I the only one who thinks about that?

o

Not at all, fuzzyapple! I am 62 and nearly alone, except for my 22 year old stepson, who lives with me at this point in time. He works 40+ hours a week, during the day. When he leaves home, I will most likely be alone-alone.

I was with my husband 75% of the time before he died and I miss that closeness - it's not that I don't have plenty to keep me occupied, but those aren't the things that keeps one alive - human contact is.

I know - I could join groups, but I'm not a joiner - I prefer to do things one-on-one with another. I don't care if the person is male or female. I'm past 'dating' and all that entails - I am just wanting a GOOD friend.

I can (and do) deal with it, but still hope and pray that one day someone will come into my life who can spend time with me and enjoy all that life has to offer.

o

sayhellonow, I have read so much that I have a callous on my hand where the books have rested. It hurts with a big book so may have to get my e reader out and fire it up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here