SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joulesr4me

What do you want to be? (a long ramble)

joulesR4me
19 years ago

What do you want to be?

When I was in middle school, I thought I wanted to be a dentist. I have No idea why, other than my parents said they made a lot of money. I cant remember what I was yearning for in high school  maybe just to get out of my parents house  geesh, they knew Nothing and were really holding me back. Something like that. In college I wavered from wanting to be a veterinarian to transportation engineering (planes, trains, automobiles) or HVAC (again, have No idea why). I really enjoyed the health sciences, but didnÂt do so well. I decided on mechanical engineering because math and sciences came more easily to me (that is, I didnÂt have to study very hard to pass  usually with a B) and also because there were lots of GUYs in that department. Guys  in the likes of friends. I always seemed to get along with guys better than the girls. I loved drag racing, woodworking and computers. But I also maintained my job as a vet assistant  keeping up to 13 cats, 4 dogs, ferrets, birds and fish in my rented home.

Anyway  I graduated in mechanical engineering, nabbed a job with the Mouse (Disney) and found that I loved graphics. I spent 3 yrs designing signage and such for Mickey  then found myself at the tops of the layoff lists because I had no formal training in this field. Darn. My next move was to the Rocket Ranch, where IÂve now been for somewhere around 15 yrs. Like most every other post-grad here, I was only using this as a stepping stone  certain to move to private industry and make bigger bucks within 5 yrs. And, like most of us, IÂve just continued to marinade Â. I have enjoyed this environment  sitting in the crew module or payload bay isnÂt too awful  but the lack of a launch has really hurt moral and motivation. IÂve been DEAD for almost two years and IÂve been thinking  "What do I really want to do when I grow up?" Gee, I didnÂt realize that that time is nearing (ahem).

Last year I thought that IÂd like to re-pursue my education in *life sciences* - but this time on a human level rather than pet/animal. Trauma  thatÂs where I want to be! IÂm addicted to Trauma, the Residents, Code Blue, Rescue, etc. I found that my company pays 100% towards this course-work. So, IÂm in my second semester at the community college, taking Anatomy & Physiology 2, and hoping my previous pre-requisites from pre-vet curriculum (10+ yrs) will still be applicable for entry into a Physicians Assistant program. Then maybe I could be part of a trauma team Â

But, this weekend I ask myself again, "If I were on my deathbed tomorrow, what would I really wished I would have done for *work*?" Hummmmmm. Really, I wish I would have started a dog related business: an upscale dog Bed & Biscuit, selling home-made dog food and cookies, with a pet boutique, doggie day-care, pick-up/drop off service, etc. ThatÂs what I REALLY wish I could do. Now the question, "Why not?" Well, because it would be a lot of trouble and risk. I took some small business classes (SBA) a few years ago and know that itÂs a tough path, requiring 100% commitment of body & soul. IÂm not certain IÂm ready for that  yet. But when would I be? IÂm single and have few responsibilities really  but a business like that would mean moving (to a more *trendy* town)  and thatÂs only the start of scary!

So, what do you want to do when you grow up  and where have you been while trying to figure that out? I know there are some good stories out there!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company