Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ye Olde Coffee Shoppe - Revisited

Posted by gerry1117 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 15, 09 at 10:39

Hello, all

I haven't been around in months and months, but do lurk now and then to keep up with everyone.

The Coffee Shop has always been where anyone can post on any subject that strikes their fancy. So come on in and have a seat and a cup of java (or whatever you prefer) Share a funny incident in your life, tell us about your new love, talk about the weather in Maine, or just let your mind ramble a bit.

Me? I was bit grumpy this morning. It's very cold for this part of the world - and my power was off for a couple of hours so the house got rather chilly - I couldn't use the 'puter - the trash removal service missed picking up the garbage.

But now I feel myself returning.....it's warm inside again and the computer is up and running....I am now a happy camper!!

May everyone have a wonderful day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ye Olde Coffee Shoppe - Revisited

I've been grumpy since Nov 2nd, but getting a little better. One day i just sat down and cried, i think that was a first time for me. i have been so depressed over this arm of mine. My present motto is: This to shall pass.

o

Stargazer, I have kept up with your arm injury and I do hope it is continuing to improve.

Yes, the old Coffee Shop threads go way back. I think it all began with some guy doing coffee trials and just kinda went from there. It was a lot like a bunch of old friends sitting around a table at the local coffee house and trading thoughts and memories, sometimes light and lively, other times sad, sometimes hilarious, even sometimes a bit morbid!! A lot of us were much older single seniors, who, aside from feelings of loneliness, shared problems quite different than younger singles.

A lot of posters thought the Coffee Shop was only for coffee drinkers - that was never a necessity. It was all about sharing, about living

I seriously doubt it will ever be revived, but just thought I would give it a try. A lot of us became quite good friends back then - some of us even managed to have coffee together at a real live coffee shop.

However, regardless of age, our lives continue to move on.

For me personally, my life is probably the fullest and the most enjoyable it has been in many years. I have time now to spend several hours a day writing, to loll about in pleasant memories, to sit and watch the sun come up over the duck pond while I have that first morning coffee.

Life is good.

o

gerry good for you. the only thing i have written are my travel journals. I always had ladies wanting copies when I finished with them. Usually writing about lions, elephants, etc., makes interesting reading whether you can write or not.. I read them every once in awhile and have trouble believing I did those things.

Sounds like you live in a lovely place.

o

Having had a teacher in 4th grade who encouraged me, I have kept journals since I was quite young. Not those interesting travel journals, I'm afraid. Rather they are about experiences in my daily life, my secret fears, hopes and dreams through the years, dark secrets about family skeletons - life exposed, you might say. This teacher not only taught me to write about those experiences, but to also include things about the world around me - how the swamp smelled, what the weather was like on that particular day, flowers blooming, their colors and names. She would say, "Elaborate - it's not just about you."

It amuses me to re-read the journals from my earliest years, written as a child would write - and those teen years - oh, my!! As I became older, married, had children, the writing changed and became more as I would write today.

Recently, I decided to take these boxes of journals and convert them to a book as a legacy for my children and grandchildren. At this point, it is not intended for publication, although I am working under the tutelage of a published author. He critiques my work a couple of times each week and is very encouraging of my feeble attempts!

So please give more thought to combining all your travel journals into a book - it may surprise you what you can accomplish!

It remains quite cold here. Tonight's low temperature will break a 37 year record - 12-15 degrees. Very unusual weather for the coast of S.C. -- Oh, and by keeping a lifetime of journals, I have a written record of that cold January 16, 1972. It was a traumatic night of searching the woods and creek for my 11 year old son's lost dog. And therein lies a whole 'nuther story!!!

o

Good morning Gerry. I like the advice to elaborate on your journals, especially regarding nature. I looked out at the sunrise this AM and it covered all of the southern sky, beautiful. About my journals, my husband's niece was an English and writing teacher, she said my Kenya journal should be published. She said travel journals were in great demand and that I could publish them myself and put them in book stores on consignment. My sis offered to edit them, but she would turn them into something "professional" or her version of professional and I just want them to be Grandma's adventures bad grammar and all.

I passed a huge hurdle last night, I slept in my bed and got out of. HALLELUJAH. I may be able to go on my trip now.

o

Hi Ladies. I am so glad that you have created a space to come to to talk about everyday life. There are many forums but I just don't feel like I "fit" in most of them. I am a 63 year old widow with a soon to be 20 year old daughter who still lives at home and two older daughters who are both married. I have two grand daughters and a grand dog. I am still working full time out of necessity. I live in Maryland not too far from DC. I don't have much time or energy for hobbies but I do enjoy reading and walking when the weather is nice enough.
I have off and on kept journals about my feelings and emotions. I am afraid that because I have at times suffered from depression and anxiety that what I have written might be hurtful to my family. Because of that I destroyed the journals and haven't started any new ones. I think I would like to try doing a journal containing inspirational quotes and poems, songs and maybe listing things I am grateful for. Enough about me-nice to meet you stargazzer and Gerry and thanks again for getting this started. Satine

o

Satine, I had a rough second marriage and decided to write a bio of my life during those years. it helped me relieve stress caused by that difficult time. I don't know whether it was the marriage or my inability to handle it properly. Whatever the reason that part of my life is over. Umm, I need to call my Sis and tell her to burn the copies I gave her to send to my steps if I died before my husband. LOL

On a brighter note I need to start thinking of what I need to take with me to So. America if my doctor gives the okay to go. The trip is for approx, 22 days and have to figure out how to get enough clothes in two suitcases to keep me clothed. I will be traveling with a sling, but I think that's doable.

o

Gerry, Gerry, Gerry - hats off to you for reviving the CS!!
I've often thought about it, but didn't quite know if anyone would be interested in starting it up again. Glad you took the plunge.

Stargazzer - hang in there with that arm. Arms and shoulders are a bear to heal, but keep at it. As I mentioned in one of your posts, I'm still dealing with mine, but I'm reluctant to take the surgery route. As time passess, it is getting better. I just know that maybe a few decades ago it would have healed a lot faster. Although I can take that to the bank, I also know that I've had experiences and have the wisdom that I didn't have back then - call it trade-offs, I guess. Anyway, prayers for proper healing and sending a big hug to scare away the bad feelings. BTW, what part of MD - are you as cold as I am? I'm trying to keep from feeding BG&E, but somehow my body keeps telling me to turn up that thermostat!! Oh well, I'll deal with it when the bill comes. Spring will eventually get here and this will be a memory.

Journals - well, I used to read and write a lot, but don't remember keeping a journal. My sister does, but I was always too worried that someone one see my thoughts and wouldn't understand where they came from, so I just didn't bother with them. I did write a lot of letters and send a lot of cards as a kid - especially when I had a boyfriend in the military. I kept all of them for years, even after we broke up. After I got married an moved out, my step-father started reading them and laughing at them, and I was so angry. He eventually through them out. That really bummed me out, because there was a lot of "me" in them and they were special. Now I don't read or write that much because my eyesight just isn't what it used to be, and it is annoying, trying to find which pair of glasses I need to wear. I do know that writing is a great comforter. I find that after major events, I tend to start on a book (that never gets finished). After my Mom, and my daughter as well, passed, I started stories about them - what they meant to me, and the world. My daughter was 18 when she passed (almost 14 yrs now)and to this day, the worst parts are that, 1) I miss her still; 2)that her grand and great cousins and the rest of the generations to come, will not know how dynamic a person she was. So, I think my writings about her, and my Mom, are to cover that fear. My nephew likes to write, and has a lot of me, in him, in that regard. He ended up publishing his first book not too long ago. It's funny how much all of his stories are about he and his brother - although he says not. It's so funny to hear how he remembers things that happened as they grew up. Some things I never paid attention to, but realize that they were very important events to the kids (my daughter and my 2 nephews).

Oh well, I've blabbed enough here, for today. Hope all are keeping warm. I'm soooooo happy it's the weekend. Although I just got this job - 1 month now, I'm still happy to have a couple of days off. I may have Monday off too for the MLK holiday. Tuesday will be absolutely insane here in the DC area, so I may work from home, and watch the inaurual. WOW, that will be 4 days!!

Enjoy your weekend!!

gneegirl

o

Good Saturday morning, all,

I awakened at 10:00 AM (after a very late night) to barely freezing temp of 31 degrees. Am now having my first morning coffee at the computer.

Couldn't pay me to be in DC next Tuesday! I lived there a few years when my DH was stationed at Bolling Field in the late 50's/early 60's (I don't think it is still there now) I worked downtown and had to take a bus, then a trolley, to reach work. Later, I found a car-pool which was much more pleasant. Our driver, a funny Irishman, would always say as we went past the Washington Memorial, "They'll never get that thing off the ground" - pretending he thought it was a rocket of some sort. We were just beginning our space explorations then. Remember Sputnik? Russia beat us to that one.

Well, I couldn't attend the festivities even if I wanted to. I have to be in court on that day - have been called as a character witness in a civil case. Who would have ever thought that MY humble opinion of a person's character would matter? I just wish it was like jury duty - here, if one is over 65, one can be excused from jury duty if he/she chooses. I have to show up, but hopefully they won't use me.

Gneegirl, your warm greeting was similar to that of a dear friend from upstate who awakened me this morning with a phone call - saying "Gerry, Gerry, Gerry, Just calling to check on the elderly!" I didn't mind - after all, she is more "elderly" than I. It's a rather standing joke between us.

It is indeed refreshing to see all of you coming back to the CS - or joining for the first time. Welcome, all.

I need to get dressed and get my car over to the car wash.
You know what they say: "Birds of a feather flock together - and crap on your car"

Wishing everyone a grand weekend....

Gerry

o

gneegirl, I am in Kansas am very cold and usually i am fine with the thermo set at 70. I am trying not to move around to much so the bones can heal, so I am freezing sitting in my recliner watching movies and TV series collections. I get tired of the cold at least once a day and turn the furnace up to 72. I even bought some Hanes leggings to wear under my slacks and that helps. I am finally healed enough to get a camisole and a long sleeve knit shirt on under my sling. Every once in a while i start to shiver and it goes one end of me to the other. Even that hurts my arm. Grrrr..... I need to find that post of yours.

o

well i love this cofee shop idea.my name is tracy,ive three wonderfull children,11,2,and 7months,,im now single after living the most horrendous life with my kids father,ive never been so happy single,im only 32 so maybe in a few yrs i mite change my mind,but for now im so happy without a man.Im really enjoying my kids,they do the most funniest,naughty ,loving,so many things.they make me happy.i love life becaus of them.

o

Hi Tracy, welcome. Forgive my typos please, I am typing with one hand. How's the weather where you live? It's been in the lower teens here for the last few days. well, think I will pick out a movie to watch.

o

Yeah, Hi Tracy!! You must have your hands full, with three!! That is wonderful though. I always tell people to have three, instead of two - at least two of them will get along. With only two, there is always the possibility of competition. This thread is nice to have, especially when you just wanna say Hi, when no one slse is around.

Stargazzer - I got you beat this time (probably the only time!). It was zero overnight here, and I around 7 degrees when I woke up this morning. I think it got to about 20 later today, but most of the last couple of days, it's been singles and teens, with WIND!!! Oh, you need to keep that arm warm!

I remember Bolling AFB - it is closed now, through BRAC. I also remember the street-cars. I lived close to downtown then, and remember when they removed the tracks. My mom made sure we rode the street car on the last day. Once they were up, they built an underpass for a major street in the city, and took half of our yard doing it. We were so upset - took away our play yard!!

Gerry, glad you have a "buddy" like that, and she, you, as wel. Communication is so important when you are older, especially when you the person is a good friend and someone that you can joke with.

Been listening and watching the inauguration stuff. I really wish I could go. I few years ago I would have, but "Uncle Arthur" has attacked my feet and it wil be too cold for me to stand around for 12 hours. The whistle stop train came close to my house about an hour or so ago, as it was heading to downtown. The crowd wasn't as large as they thought for the Baltimore stop - they think because of the weather. People had been standing there for 6 hours or more. I'm sure it was close to 6 or 7 degrees when they got there. My commute won't be impacted by the crowds and street closures on Tuedsay, but then again, it might. So many roads will be closed that the traffic may have to detour close to my route, to get to where they are going. They should have just shut everything down. People at my job CAN'T get in to work on Tuesday because all the roads from their homes are closed, and the subway stops nearby are only letting passengers off. They would have to walk about 4 miles to get to the first leg of their trip. BUT, it will be a day worth experiencing if you can. I volunteered as a "security guide" for the parade stand bleachers during Clinton's 1st inauguration, and I will never forget it. I guess it's like going to Times Square at NYE, only more formal. It's something you can't fathom unless you are there, I guess. Hopefully I'll get work from home on Tuesday.

o

hi everyone,hope you all had a great weekend,mine was good ,didnt do nothing much but its just nice not have get out of bed really early,and rush around.well the weather here isnt great but its not too cold ,its raining but quite warm,our weather is so unpredictable,freezing one minute then ok the next,our winters are no where near as bad as they used to be,but then our summers arnt great either,i do hate being cold though,and our bills just to keep warm are so expensive now,its shocking.
stargazer what did you do to your arm if you dont mind me asking.I like a good movie too,my favourite at the moment is mama mia,my little girl puts it on all the time so ive seen it a bit too many times now.
Yes ive definatly got my hands full,but i agree 3 is better than two,and i arnt working at the moment so i cant complain,and they grow up so quick,i cant beleive where the time goes,it will be christmas again before we know it.
well i wished id written a journal,it sure would of been interesting,i dont really have the time to do anything like that right now.anyways i better get some housework done ,cleaning cleaning its neverendng,oh its my dads60th bday nxt weekend and i havnt a clue what to get him so any ideas would be appreciated

o

Tracy, I fell in the bedroom and broke my upper arm, a spiral break. I think I passed out, don't remember falling just found myself on my knees and my arm was hanging like a flag on a still day. I am really P**O** today. Yesterday was so good then I sat down in a chair and something moved. So I am in pain today.

It was in the 50's yesterday so walked around the block.

o

Hello, Tracy, and welcome to CS. I see you are one year younger than my youngest. She doesn't have any children yet, though is in the "planning" stage!! Since I was in my late 30's when she was born, she figures she still has plenty of time!! My hair grayed while I was still quite young, and I was often referred to as her "grandmother" - can't understand why as I had no wrinkles!! My own mother used to love to tell the story of walking a few feet behind me at the mall and seeing people we met turning to look at me - first at my big belly, then at my white hair. Wish I had been aware of it at the time. How I would have loved saying "I'm carrying it for a friend"!!!!!!!

I'm typing here and watching the MLK parade in downtown Charleston on TV. It's very moving, especially this year with the inauguration tomorrow, which will be a very historical event.

We are supposed to get "snow showers" here tonight and tomorrow. It won't stick because the temperatures will not be low enough for the ground to be frozen. However, I do want to take the dogs out in it while the flakes are following and watch their reactions. Snow is extremely rare in this area, though we did have a lovely white Christmas in 1989 (the year of Hugo). We had seven inches of snow - fell all day on Christmas Eve and on into the night.

Headache, sore throat and cough this morning. Sure hope I am not getting sick with something. Have to be in court tomorrow. Perhaps I could get excused since I may be contagious! Nah! Probably not. I would love to be able to stay home and watch the festivities on TV though.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Gerry

o

Good afternoon every one. I had lunch at the mall and checked out the mens shirts at Sears. I bought one but not much of a clearance price. It was the same price 6 weeks ago. I wear it over my sling, so it has to be big.

o

hi gerry,thanks for the welcome,I live in the uk so i havnt a clue what mlk parade is or inauguration,
We dont really get much snow either,we had some recently but it was just flakes,not enough to stick,ive been dying for some proper snow where its really thick and beautifully white everywhere,so my youngest kids can see it and also the dog,shes a beautiful dalmation and very playful,she would love the snow.the weather isnt too bad
today,think i will turn my heating off ,im roasting,
Thats a funny story about the white hair,At least you could of dyed it i already have lines on my face,sress and using sunbeds when i was younger i think,
stargazzer your fall sounds nasty hope you are feeling better soon it must really get you down when your in pain all the time,anyways i better get some work done done have a nice day all

o

Tracy - MLK - initials of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Monday was his birthday, which is a holiday here. No mail, banks and schools closed. He was the great black leader of the "I have a dream" fame. I wish he could have lived to see yesterdays inauguration of Barack Obama, our country's first black president. Over 2 million people packed the streets of our nation's capital yesterday.

Yesterday's court case was granted a continuance, so I was able to watch most of the inauguration. Of course, I didn't sit glued to the TV - just kept it on and loud enough to hear what was going on, coming in now and then to watch a segment of it. Senator Ted Kennedy collapsed just after the inaugural luncheon and was taken by ambulance to a local hospital in Washington, DC. Doctors determined it was due to exhaustion. He suffers from a brain tumor so I imagine it was quite scary when he collapsed.

Speaking of falls, I took a big tumble yesterday when I tripped over a phone cord. It usually runs along the baseboard, but one of the dogs had pulled it a few feet away from the wall. Fortunately, the floor was heavily carpeted and I suffered no real damage. Just a bit sore here and there today.

I did dye my hair for awhile, but decided it was just not worth the trouble. It turned gray while I was in my 20's. I think it likely served a good purpose - it made me look a bit older and wiser, and business advancements were quite forthcoming.

Gneegirl, were you able to get to work yesterday? It appeared that most of the city streets were closed down. Security, I suppose.

One of my son's prized possessions is a certificate awarded to his father for participation in the John F. Kennedy inauguration. We were in the military at that time, and DH was a driver for one of the Air Force generals. I guess every little contribution was helpful though.

Lots of things to do today so I must get moving. I have a lunch app't at 1:30 today.

Have a good day,all.

o

Hi all!

Gerry, sorry about your fall - glad for no real damage though. Yes, I did get to work on Tuesday. I live very close to the office and don't have to get on the highway - that was a blessing. Actually though, unless you were catching the Metro, which most people did to get downtown, you didn't get any trffic woes - the streets were empty for a change! What a great momento for your son! It's such a thrill to be involved in something like that. A lot of people were thinking that Obama's inauguration was so special because of his race, but it really wasn't handled any differently than others. I actually think it was smoother than Clinton to Bush. But there were security snaffoos - many people with tickets didn't get in. Worse, they couldn't even see the jumbo-trons for being in a tunnel. I know that tunnel very well - used to travel it RT, daily when I worke in VA. You can't see much from in there - LOL! I think the fact that the ghost of 911 and the fact that more people had access to more events, and the media coverage for more than two years, made this a much larger event. DC's Mayor is overwhelmed because it went on with only a very few glitches. As a native DCer, I'm quite proud. DC has such a poor rep, and although there are problems, itn's not as much of a bad city as most people think.

Dying hair - need to. My hair has always been a mousy brown, and now I have gray edges - yuk. But, my hair doesn't like dye - it runs away, and i don't want to be bald. It's been very short for many years so it's easier to deal with. I think that helped me too, because it looks like I have wisdom patches of gray - LOL!

My Dad had a stroke a few years back, and suffers from seizures every once in a while. Most of the time they are a result of med changes, i.e., not taking them properly, and once when the Dr. changed them. That was awful because he had a gran-mal (sp), and split his head open when he fell out of the bed. The med part is doing OK now, thankfully. I hope TK will be OK. I was sooo happy when he showed up, because I knew he truly wanted to be there. His life depended on his not going, but I somehow know that didn't matter much to him. I like him more now than when he was younger. It's funny how the rougher ones mellow so much as they age - my dad included! He has the sweetest heart, but boy oh boy, did my sister and I catch it when we were younger. He wasn't mean in any sense, just a tuffy. Now, he's so soft, that he cries at everything! Gotta luv em.

When I think of all the shoulders that we are standing on to get to where we are today - a Black president, I am so saddened that many are not here to see how all they did came too so much good. I know MLK would have had the most sobering thoughts. He knew it would come and it would have been priceless to see the satisfaction in his heart. As I watched the documentaries over the past few days, it brought back so much. MANY, MANY people have NO idea what it was like then. What they see are words and pictures. But many, old and young felt those fire hoses, just because of their race. That bothers me a little because many people think you can just "get over" something like that. But, Obama's presidencey will go a long way towards a new day. It's almost like wiping the slate clean, even though it isnt'. We mustn't forget the history, but we have to also move ahead. The younger generations are helping that along as well.

Hope all are enjoying the day/night!

o

gerry oh silly me i know who MLK is,i remember learning about him years ago at school,although ive forgot most of it,my eldest daughter is learning about him at the moment.
boy am i glad its friday,im soo tired today,my baby isnt sleeping at all,teething terribly,i shall take a nap with them both a little later ,im lucky that my two year old still likes a nap in the day otherwise i wouldnt be able to grab an hour,im going to visit my sister later,her kids are similar age so they will all hav fun and make loads of mess of course,and hopefully tire them out so i can have a better sleep tonight,wishfull thinking i think,
The weather here is miserable today,wet and windy,not too cold though,just really dull,roll on summer,its so much easier to get out of bed when the sun is shining isnt it,oh well enough of me waffling on im gona do some lunch,have a nice weekend

o

Good Morning, all you Good People!!!

A warming trend begins today, then colder on Sunday. But - by next Thursday we will be in the 70's and great for some outdoor activities. Perhaps a round or two of golf?

Ummmm....coffee is so goooood this morning. I'm on the 2nd pot - the first one I accidentally turned over and spilled all over the kitchen counter. What a mess! Hopefully, a little coffee will not harm the dog since he lapped the overflow from the floor! Just what I need, a coffee drinking dog. He already suffers from ADHD which seems to be characteristic of JRT's.

January continues to be a quiet month. Much of the time has been spent toasting my toes by the fire, making notes for the next chapter of my "book". Certainly far from the Great American Classic but I'm really enjoying this time in my life. I'm experiencing such a feeling of accomplishment. As I posted earlier, this is not a book for publication - it's a private family thing. I suppose that is a good thing since I'm sure it would never be likely to make the top 10 best seller's list!! Just this morning I read a quote by Jules Renand: "Writing is the only profession where no one considers you ridiculous if you earn no money". (I think that was on my Google home page this morning.)

I just listened to the Bush twins read a letter they had written to the Obama sisters. Very touching.

We all need to look at things now and then through the eyes of a child, to renew that childhood innocence, to see the beauty in the world around us. It works wonders on our jaded souls.

The little dog is already bouncing off the walls. I think it is warm enough outside now to put him out in the back yard and let him expend some of that energy.

I wish you all a great weekend.

o

Hey Tracy, this baby isn't sleeping either. LOL

No plans for the week end here, just another day. I may go out to breakfast in the morning just to get out. The weather has been good for January. I walked around the block a few times this week. Have a nice day everyone.

o

Hi stargazzer,is your arm keepng you up at night,how awful,do you take painkillers,it is a bad place to break a bone,when will you be on the mend.
There must be a huge time difference between the US and UK ,you all all seem to be starting your day when mine is nearly over.Its now 9.15 at night here.im gonna have a hot chocholate,some toast,watch a bit of tv then off to bed i think,for another sleepless night probably,ive worn the kids out but that usually makes no difference,oh well at least its weekend.goodnight all,

o

it's 6:30 PM here, I live in the mid west. About 3 weeks after I broke my arm the severe pain was reduced to aching with an occasional sharp pain. Last night the brace was the problem. It's made out of hard plastic and usually I can pad it with a wash cloth and it's fine, but the last few nights nothing works. It feels like I have a golf ball in my arm pit. I think it's more worry than pain. I do take a pain pill every once on a while just to get some rest, they make me sleepy.

BTW I know I accounted for all of my golf balls when I left the Peeble Beach golf course. LOL

o

Wow Gerry, you've done a good thing, LOL! Hi gng; and greetings to the rest of you! I haven't been here in a very, very long time. I tried posting on the last CS, but it's hard to keep it going if there are only a couple of people posting, LOL! Now if we can get Jo, Michael (did he get married?), Barbara (mimi boo) and Gene (candler -- Gerry have you heard from him?) to join us.

Gerry, how is your family in northern CA, and have you visited yet?

Nothing spectacular happening here. We've had beautiful weather the past two days. I went plant shopping today after church and spent more than I intended to! Later.

o

Hi Stargazzer and Gerry and all other posters. Had a good weekend with getting some cleaning done around the house on Saturday and then laundry and the superbowl on Sunday. Today-boo-back to work. I can hardly wait for spring and the warm weather. We got a little taste of spring over the weekend with Sunday temperatures reaching almost 60! Stargazzer do you have any news about your trip? Hope all will be well for you to travel. Talk soon. Satine

o

Hi everyone.hope everyone is ok.well our weather here in the uk as changed dramatically,very cold and lots of snow and its stuck so everywhere looks gorgeous,but i havnt had chance to enjoy it yet because its really blizzardy and dont fancy taking the kids out in it yet,but it looks fab,so we are all just staying in the house keeping warm and playing games,and i better start to think what to cook for dinner,i wish i could wave a magic wand and it was all cooked and the dishes done too,heaven

o

ELOISE!!!!

When Jerry started this thread I was hoping you would pop up!! Yeah, where is everyone else? It does get a little boring here, but it is still somewhere to go when there is no place else to go. Glad to hear that you are doing OK.

Don't know if you heard, but I did loose my job, but I'm back to work now - I hope 4ever. The past few months were pretty shaky, and now I'm having to act like I'm OK - yeah, right. It will take me a longer while to get out of this mess. But, I'm so thankful for having a job!!

I have a little pup now - a chihauhau that I just found out is 2 1/2 yrs old. I went to a vet when I first got her in September, and he told me she was 10 mos. A new vet told me that there is NO WAY she is under 2yrs old! I really like him - well his practice (although he is pretty cute!). The assistants showed me around; got to see the OR where my baby will be spayed, and many other things. They even showed me the intubation equipment - YUK, to think about. Didn't know they did that for animals. I thought about you because the Vet has a bird. He told me that his childhood bird was the reason he became a vet. Did your birdie ever come home? I hope so, but hugs if not, and I've brought up a tough time. I remember when you mentioned it.

Nothing else much is going on - ooops, I forgot; my nephew and his wife just had a little girl!! She was due mid-March, but Drs were had some concerns about Mom and decided to do an ER C-section this past Friday. They told her at 11:30 Thursday night, and the baby was here at 2:45am! If it weren't for the potential danger, I would love to have it that way - vs, the 15 hours of hard labor that I had with my DD!

Satine - you must be near me from your weather report. Tracy, the magic wand is on it's way! It never worked at my house so maybe you can get it to work. If it does, I'll forgive the finder's fee - LOL!!

OK, not much going on 4 real this time. The weather has be so much like Spring, but is expected to turn back to Winter tonight through Wednesday - more snow, but just a little.

I haven't forgotten everyone else. Just missed Eloise - she has been away for a long time. Hope you all are doing great.

gneegirl

o

Hi everyone, glad to see this pop up, hope you are all well. I am feeling more up than usual. On the 29th the doc said I was ready for therapy. I went for an evaluation today and was really worried that bones had moved again because I was in a great deal of pain. When they evaluate you they measure how far you can move your upper body parts, then she moved them as far as she could or until I said stop. She said my bones had not moved or I would have been screaming. It was almost painless, I just had to say stop twice. She said it was all normal for a break as serious as mine and being immobilized for three months. Of course I won't know how much movement I will get back for awhile. She said it might a good idea to take a couple of Tylenol before I come next time. (:o(

About my trip, I decide a couple of weeks ago it was no longer a priority, I just wanted this nightmare to be over. My travel agent said I would get all of my money back minus the insurance premium. Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!

o
RE: Ye Olde Coffee Shoppe - Revisiteddfg

You guys didn't even mention the Pebble Beach comment. Do you know much it costs to play there, don't ask me, I had a friend treat me to a round. LOL

o

Stargazzer - that was funny!! When did you play? I hope not with that arm/shoulder!! Glad you are getting into the therapy phase. OK, I'm only happy because it means another day towards recover for you. I remember therapy - that's the reason I didn't have surgery. I would have to go back through that. When they did my movement test, it was pretty dismal - I think I moved an inch. I still do stretches now because every once in a while it still freezes. I have to say though that I recently started taking some holistic vitamin supplements. For the first time, I can REALLY feel healing!! It has been 2 years but I've been told that until I have the surgery it will be that way. BUT, I've been told that it could be that way even with the surgery. I wish you the best though. As I've said before, shoulders are tough. When I went through my situation, it seems as though everyone I met had a shoulder injury. Maybe I can be your caddy when you get better - LOL!

o

Hey gng. Yep, it got boring for me as well. I tried sticking around, but most of the regulars in CS weren't posting. I am so glad Gerry started this up again, and there are new people for me to get to know and for them to get to know me. Sorry about your other job, but thankful you have another one. I did a part-time a few months back. My old job called me so I took it because it worked for me. It was supposed to be for 2 months but went on for 5. This was great because I paid off my Visa and had no problem in paying my house taxes -- God is good! What is your dog's name! I am glad she is bringing you some happiness. My cockatiel 'Sunny' never came back. Currently, I have two finches and have been looking for a pair of canaries, but will wait until the right time to get them.

Stargazzer, how did you break your arm? I've never broken a bone in my body (that I know of), but have been "living with" shoulder pain for way over a year. GNG is right that about the time she was having problems, some of us were as well. Anyway, I have calcification on my right shoulder and am supposed to do exercises with a rubber band, but don't. I always forget! Good for you to golf. I always said I would take lessons, but haven't. Glad you got your $ back from your trip. Sometimes things aren't going to happen although we might push hard. There will always be another opportunity, so in the meantime, just let your shoulder heal.

Satine, at least you got some work done around the house, LOL! I thought about it, planned on it, but instead Saturday, I baked some cookies, then took my grandson to guitar lessons so didn't do too much then, but did start. Sunday I went plant shopping after church, and finally Monday I finished vacuuming the house!

Tracy, you do have your hands full with three, but just hang in there; they are a blessing. I had two children myself that I raised and supported on my own. I hope your weather will be nice soon for you.

o

Ok guys enough about Pebble Beach I lied. I did get a score card for a souvenir and a cap, but that's it. When I hear the in laws guys talk about their golf games I am going to tell them I saved my score card from the Pebble Beach course for a souvenir and not tell them the rest.

Seriously now, thanks for the kind support regarding my arm and it is my upper arm not shoulder. When I get around to it I will scan my copy of the ex ray from the ER. I had a problem with my rotator cuff a few years back from playing cards every day with my husband. I control that with a body pillow and it rarely bothers me any more.

o

Hi everyone. Gneegirl, I am in Maryland between Frederick and Rockville. Where are you? The weather is supposed to be cold for another day or so but this weekend looks great. Not much going on with me this week. Thursday night my middle daughter is coming to have dinner with me-have to come up with something yummy for us. Next week I will be baby sitting my two grand daughters three nights! It is going to be tough because I'll have to drop them at before school care and get to work 30 minutes away by 8:00. Guess Im spoiled because my usual commute to work is 7-10 minutes depending on traffic. Oh well, it will be fun to spend some extra time with them. Take care and stay warm. Satine

o

Satine, I spent MANY years up your way - G-town, G'burg, D'wood. Also lived in DC, right at the line, across from RC Park. I did a lot of shopping in Rockville, and further up. I'm in PG now, 11 mi from Annapolis - 5yrs now. I bet you got more snow than we did today! BTW, I know about the extra commute time. I've commuted to VA for so long. When I got a job 10min from home, I was in HEAVEN!! My new job is only 3-4 miles farther, and I'm screaming - LOL. The weather we've had lately has really played on my nerves - almost an hour for a 20min. commute last week. Of course, it was pretty icy. Today was better but a State Trooper had pulled over an HOV violater and tied up traffic on 50. It was so badly I thought it was a very bad accident!

Stargazzer - I told you, you were funny! You played a good one.

Eloise - I've been stretching a bunch lately because I was just going down hill again. I don't use the bands, but I've been doing the wall-walks (OUCH!!), and arm raises, like the pulley. It's been helping, but the most help is coming from those supplements. My sister sells some that are super great, but found some online that she doesn't seel,that had more, or had everything in one HUGE tablet. They are veggie based (or at least food-based), and don't bother my stomach. I can tell that my muscle tone is coming back, and I actually have less pain all over. I have some FM, and leg pain, so I'm happy to have found it. I know that I have lots of calcification in the shoulder - the reason they want to do surgery. The vitamins seem to help the pain from that as well. I can touch the area and not feel anything!! Now maybe I can exercise and whittle down a few pounds - YEAH!!

Gerry - what kind of doggie do you have?

I'm glad to have this thread back - it's not too "heavy" and it's good to "see" everyone. Let's keep it up!!

o

Hello, Everyone,

eloise - great to see you around again. I hadn't been here for a few days, so need to catch up. No, I'm afraid I don't know much about all the old-timers (I'm not referring to age here) Last I heard about Michael he was getting married, KJ posts now and then, Barbara I don't know about, last I heard about candler (gene) he was busy with a land development project, but he does show up on the computer forum now and then. But good to see you are back. How are things in CA? DD in Davis says they aren't getting any winter rains and may have drought this summer. She and her DH are coming east for a few days the last part of this month - and will be here until March 6.

Gneegirl, my little dog is a JRT/Chi mix. Definitely has the JRT personality (suffers from ADHD) My other,more well behaved dog is a pure bred Collie - a real Lassie look-alike. He is by my side most of the time, goes almost everywhere in the car with me, but he's OK with being left at home, too.

We had a much heavier snow today than we did last time. Today we had around 17 flakes!!! We only had 4 flakes last time. But it's incredibly cold today with a wind chill factor of 15 degrees. High winds, but bright sunshine right now though, so I just HAD to get outside a few minutes - froze my buns off!! I am definitely looking forward to this Sunday when temps will be in the 70's.

A couple of days ago I found my first 2 daffodils blooming. Many of them have buds about to burst forth in bloom. Hope last night does not set them back. Forsythia is in bloom also. I am hoping in a few days I can break some branches of that, add a few daffodils and have a really fresh spring bouquet on my dining table. I get fresh flowers every week, usually from the florist section of the local supermarket, but they just don't compare with something cut from ones own garden/yard. I so love yellow flowers in a cobalt vase.

Perhaps a bowl of chili would be perfect for dinner. I better get started on it now.

If I don't get back to the Coffee Shop for a few days, I wish for all of you, GG, eloise, stargazer, satine, Tracy, and all a good rest of the week and upcoming weekend.

Stay warm.

o

Gerry - love those colors too. I decorated my hall bath in those colors. GG; hmmm..., I like that one. I came by gneegirl through a friend that called me his gnee-ous because I aced a test. Now, I'll have to think about GG - LOL.

It snowed here AGAIN!! Not much - some places only got an inch or two. Problem - THEY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING TO THE ROADS!! Last time it stuck to the grassy areas because the temps over the weekend and Monday were in the 50s and 60s. It was 24 when I left the house this morning. There were sooooo many accidents because as it was snowing on the roads, it was freezing as soon as it hit the ground. It took me almost an hour again to get to work!! Oh well, in 6wks it will be Spring - according to P-Phil!

Hope everyone had a great day!

gneegirl

o

Today is my mother's birthday - she would be 93 years old. I miss that great lady. She passed away a little over 4 years ago. Her sister, my aunt, passed away yesterday. She would be 92 tomorrow. They were 1 year and 1 day apart. I like to imagine their spirits somewhere comparing quilt squares and patterns already!

o

Sorry to hear of your losses. My Mom is 96 and still living alone. I know this sounds weird but she is living to long, she wants to die. She can't understand the TV, can't read the newspaper so she just sits there staring at the wall or sleeping. My sis spends a lot of time with her taking her food and sees to her hygiene. I don't want to live that long and further more I do not plan to live that long..

o

Hi all,

Gerry, so sorry to hear about the loss of your Aunt. Yes, I agree, she and your Mom are probably already "at it". That's a good thing. Age is a blessing, especially if you have quality of life. But if life's struggles prevent that - illness, infirmness and the like it is good to go Home, and be with the one's you've loved all life, and enjoy life again. My prayers are that you and your family find peace and happiness that your Aunt is now enjoying enternal life. At her age, I'm sure she deserves to enjoy every moment of it.

I can only hope I live that long, and am able to enjoy it. If not, I know there are so many, including my DD, Mom and StepDad, that I'll LOVE to see again. (I almost said soon, but that's not my call or wish, but it would be good to wrap my arms around them again).

Now, will someone beef up my quality of life and bring some warmer temps!! It is super cold here, with half a Chicago wind. Not good. My poor doggie is going crazy because I'm too cold to walk her. She just doesn't like "going" out back.

Tomorrow is FRIDAY!! I'm happy to have my new job, but I'm finding that I'm living for the weekend. I may start looking again - not sure there is a mutual admiration society there. I'd rather leave on my terms than have to go through explaining why I don't have a job. I think it's more that the company is very small and the Pres/Owner is so close to the ground - and wants to stay that way. It's difficult because I have to bite my tongue when he is so off base and doesn't trust me enough yet to let me do what I know is the right thing. I respect his knowledge and experience, but I think he has a problem with women and isn't ready to put anything in my hand. Then he looks at me and wonders what I'm doing all day!!!

Sorry for the rant here, but I'm a little worried since I haven't built up any savings since having depleted it over the last few months without a job. I'm smiling though 'cause I know, this too shall pass. :)

Have a good one ya'll!!

o

Good morning everyone and TGIF. Gneegirl, I understand what you mean about looking forward to weekends. I don't mind my job but have been doing the same thing for 18 years and could do it in my sleep. I hope you can find something else that you would like to do but of course finding a job in this climate is difficult. I am too old to make any job changes now unless forced to so I'll just tough it out for another 2-3 years and then hopefully retire.
Anyone have any wonderful weekend plans? Satine

o

I am going to the cat show that starts tomorrow. I have never been to one so looking forward to it. I will buy a cat when I quit traveling. Hope everyone enjoys the week end. It is 62 here and sunny.

o

Stargazzer, would be so kind...I could use a few degrees - LOL. BUT, it is suposed to be in the hi 50s this weekend. Good - it will be warm enough to sit in a mile long line to get all that salt washed off of my car!

Cat show - sounds pretty interesting. I never liked cats, and am very allergic. But I had a seal pt Siamese for 17 yrs. She was a royal PITA, but she actually grew on me. She was my daughter's, since 4yrs old - it beat a hampster!! My BIL worked at an animal hospital where someone had left her to be put down because she was sick when born. He shot her up with antibiotics and turned out be be just fine. I actually miss her. I just found out that there is a male one at a pet store for adoption, close by. I might check it out. I wonder if he will get along with my female Chihauhua!!! Anyway, enjoy the show. Post your story when you can - would love to hear what happens there.

Satine - my Mom worked in the same place doing the same thing for 30 years. I thought she had lost her mind. But she was a Nurse Practitioner at a major HBCU, in student helath, and after that in occupational health at the National Gallery of Art (where I got to meet Lady Di and Prince Charles - sweet!!). Mom LOVED, LOVED, LOVED nursing. I stayed away from a medical career because of that, but now think I want to be a surgeon!!! It's a little late for that - I'd have to retire after graduation.

To the rest of you, enjoy the weekend!

later...

gneegirl

o

I had Siamese when I was young and they are a bit of a pest, they go where most cats dare not go. LOL I'm interested in the more exotic cats like in the IM's commercial and I think they are worse than the Siamese, some are banned in a few states. I would like to see one in person, but when it comes down to it I will probably stick with a reg cat. I have always missed having a cat. I am a little allergic, but the more I am around the more resistant I am to them..

o

Hi, my name is Jean and I have always read your Coffee Row and I just love your posts. You are all such interesting people.
My DH and I will celebrate 42 years together this April so I don't qualify to post here. I live in Canada and we get all the ugly weather first and then we share it east and south,,, wherever we can get it to move.
Best wishes
Jean

o

Hi Love as far as I am concerned you are welcome to post. I enjoy coming here every morning, nice way to start the day. I am Stargazzer and I have lived in the midwest since 1950 when we moved here from Oklahoma. I call myself a transplanted Okie.

It's already 52 degrees out and I am going out for breakfast then to the cat show. Have a nice day everyone.

o

Good morning all. I couple of days ago, I had a long post written up commenting on everyone's post from the last time I posted, but my computer went blank and lost it all. I won't try to recreate or else, I won't post now, LOL!. Just wanted to say hello to everyone and wish you a fantastic weekend :-)

o

Welcome Love2Sew - and so do I - sew, that is. Of course you don't have to be single to post here - we would love to have you.

I mentioned in an above post about my aunt passing away. She had been living in KY with her oldest living daughter. Then the ice/snow storms came and they were without power. Her youngest daughter drove from Tennessee to pick up the whole family and brought them home with her. That was last week.
Then, this week on the 4th, she passed away just 2 days before her 92nd birthday. I am so thankful she was in a nice warm place when she passed.
She is being buried this afternoon in N.C., where she was born and spent much of her life. I have been thinking a lot about her today. She was like a second mother to me when I was quite young, and she and my mother were very close. I can remember my aunt coming to stay with us when my mother was in the hospital having yet another baby; she would come in the summer to help with the canning of fruits and vegetables; she came once when 3 of us siblings were quite ill with whooping cough, measles and pink eye all at the same time, and my mother had more than she could handle. And sometimes she and her children would come spend a few days in the summer just for fun (we lived on a farm - they were town folk). Aunt Mary tanned my behind more times than I care to remember; she would wrap me in a blanket and rock me to sleep some times; she was very good at patching and kissing away the pain of skinned knees; she treated us the same as she did her own children, loved us when we needed it, disciplined us when we needed it. Her two oldest children, both close to my own age, passed away within a year of each other several years ago. Aunt Mary seemed to age fast after that - yet she still stayed busy with her sewing, crocheting, knitting, quilt making.

While I was writing to a friend about her a little while ago, I stopped typing and just became lost in memories. My monitor went to screen saver. I have my screen saver set to My Pictures and the first picture that come on the screen was a picture of Aunt Mary and her oldest son (deceased) - a picture I had snapped at a family reunion in the early '60's. They were both laughing. It was such an eerie feeling - as if they had stopped in to say Good Bye. Then, for the first time since learning of her death, the tears began falling.

I am fine. Just a bit sad and sorry for myself that I won't ever get to hug her again in my lifetime. As they say, funerals are for the living. It is also a good time to visit with family one hasn't seen in many years - sort of like a family reunion, but with somber overtones - especially when it is a person who has lived a long, full life, a good life. There is some grief, of course, but not the gut-wrenching pain of losing someone much, much younger who dies suddenly. At my age, I have been through that spectrum from one end to the other

I am thankful for the promise of a beautiful, warm, sunny weekend. It's easier to say good-by when the sun is shining and Heaven is all smiles.

o

Good Morning all. It's 47 degrees out and a little cloudy. I am doing the laundry, wasting time on this machine and thinking about what I am going to have for breakfast. I have bacon, Jimmy Dean sausage and beef smoked sausage which is absolutely delicious for breakfast. Of course I want something I don't have, stuff to make waffles. I love waffles with chocolate syrup. umm umm good. Excuse me, I gotta go fix breakfast, I'm hungry. LOL

o

Aah memories Gerry! Isn't it wonderful to know that your aunt is with loved ones.

I used to sew, but now haven't for a very long time, although I do have my sewing machine set up in the spare bedroom. Probably the last thing I made was a three-foot Raggy Ann doll for my now 2 y.o. granddaughter. It used to make sense to make ones clothes, but material, thread, patterns, etc., is so expensive now that sometimes it's cheaper to buy ready-made clothes. Of course, store bought clothes isn't as well made.

Yesterday, I tried out a new recipe that included chicken, sweet red peppers, chile peppers, pineapple and coconut milk. I served it over rice. Well I left the pots out to cool and forgot to put them in the fridge when I left the house in the evening to go to an event. This morning I find them on top of the stove, rats! I believe the white rice is fine, but the entire chicken dish went in the trash -- at least I got to tasted this new dish! Have any of you done this before, i.e., where you ruined a dish by leaving it out?

A good day to all!

o

Good morning everyone. Seems I was just saying tgif and somehow it got to be Monday morning. Had a pretty quite and unproductive weekend. I did alot of reading which I love and very little cleaning etc which I hate. The weather was warm and I should have spent some time outdoors but didn't. I did meet two friends for an early dinner on Sunday. Tonight I will go to my oldest daughter's house to stay overnight with my two grand daughters and get them to school in the am. My son in law is working (firefighter) and my daughter is on a school trip (teacher) so grandma is on call.
Jean, you are certainly welcome to join in the conversations and observations. Hope everyone has a good day. Satine

o

Hi all - just checking in to say HI!

Gerry, your post is so touching. I know it has been a pretty tough day. I'm glad it was was nice day - there is something about the sun on the day you have to say goodbye to someone. Memories are special and can bring back the good times, but yeah, they can sting a little too at times like this. Miles of smiles to ya kiddo - I know this hurts.

"Loves" - thanks for popping by. This is a good place, and I thing a pretty safe place to be, and make friends. Welcome, and pop in anytime.
Eloise, I have done the exact same thing, probably several times. The worst was a huge pan of maccaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving dinner at a friends house. We cooked so much that we did a lot, the day before. I thought we had put everything away for the big dinner, but alas, not so. I was really bummed because it was the best batch I had ever made.

Seemed like the weekend for special recipies. I had some fresh fettucine pasta and bought some Alfredo sauce. When I decided to prepare it, I decided that I didn't like Alfredo sauce and thought about making my own. I found a recipe and went back to the grocery store (for the 4th time)to get the missing ingredients. One recipe called for crumbled pancietta (sp), which I sauted with shallots and garlic. WOW, I'm a "gorme" - LOL. My sister told me she tried her had at Tai curry chicken which turned out great. Glad you got to at least taste yours.

Stargazzer - waffles and chocolate. That sounds YUMMY!! I love waffles and sausage and Karo!! My aunt always used Karo and my Mom always used Log Cabin. Now I use Log Cabin, but waffles are good with anything. I'll have to try that.

Satine - how was your day at your daughters? I think we need to do something about these 2-day weekends. They are the pits! I ended up re-organizing my kitchen cabinets. Since I didn't plan it, I only half finshed - thought I needed something to do next weekend - LOL!! Other than that, I did not much else - excep for my Sunday dinner.

Night all -

gneegirl

Have a good night all!

o

Good morning. Ok, today is hump day-I think Im gonna make it! I feel like I am getting a cold, sore throat, headache etc. Don't have time for this so I'll just take Advil and cough drops and keep on going. Gneegirl, I enjoyed seeing my grand daughters and had no trouble getting them to school and making it to work on time. My daughter has them "trained". Since she has to be to work by 7:15 they are usually up and out of the house by 6:30 and I was able to let them sleep in a bit. I woke them and by the time I was dressed they were too and had eaten their breakfast, brushed their teeth and were ready to go. I was impressed! Last night I tried to do a little valentine shopping but didn't find anything. I was home by 6:00, had two hotdogs for dinner and vegged out until bed time. Such an exciting life I lead. Hope everyone is well and for those near me enjoy the warm weather. Satine

o

gneegirl, here is the recipe for the choc syrup. Please note the recipe is for ice cream...follow the instructions at the bottom for waffles and pancake syrup.

1 - 1/2 cup of sugar

1 cup of cocoa

1 cup of hot water

2 tbs of vanila

Cook for 3 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
substitute "2 or 3 TBS OF COCOA FOR WAFFLE SYRUP" instead of the 1 1/2 cup..

o

ooooh, Stargazzer - THANK YOU!! I know what I'm doing Saturday morning. Maybe I'll make the waffles from scratch. A friend has a recipe for some delish ones with a lot of good for you stuff in them. Chocolate would be perfect with them!

Satine - gosh, you are living my life!! Glad you had fun with the Grans though. Kids these days seem to be in-line with what they have to do - unlike when my DD was going to school. Kids were just coming out of rebellion then, and school was not something you aspired to at that time. I took my neighbors son to school for a few days back in the Fall. He even told me what to do!! Keeps ya young...

FYI all - I've been reading on other Forums here about some who are going through some rough times. A prayer chain was started for one. A few were in or close to the Oklahoma storms last night. Hoping everyone keeps the rest of our GW friends in their thoughts and prayers.

gneegirl

o

Gneegirl, I just use Bisquick or the equivalent Jiffy in the big box. You can make good biscuits and deserts out of that stuff.

don't think I told you about the cat show. It was the first one I had gone to and it was very interesting, I didn't care much for the fluffy ones. When I look at them I see lots of maintenance, no way. I saw a brown striped American Short Hair that I liked, very striking and also saw a manx that I liked.

o

I have a couple of BIG Bisquick boxes, Stargazzer - LOL!!!! I'll never forget my step-mom using it to batter chicken once. She and Dad had come to visit and loves to cook. She didn't know I had Bisquick in the cannister and used it to flour the chicken. Boy was it good. But we laughed for days at that one! I seldom fry anymore, but when I do, I usually put a little in the flour mixture.

Thanks for the info on the cat show. I bet that was pretty exciting. I would never have thought about that. I'll have to check into that.

Gerry - how are ya holding up out there?

Good morning all - night-night, as my sister says.

o

So glad this forum is going well. Definitely a place to pop in and talk about whatever. We had a few hours break from rain, but it started up again yesterday afternoon, but sort of light. Everything outside looks so nice and clean, and green including all those darn weeds, LOL!

Waffles sound great! I have a waffle machine that I forget to use. I bought it when my DD and grandkids lived with me. I would make up a batch of waffles and freeze them for use whenever. Just a couple of days ago, I saw a cooking program where a guy was using mostly stuff found in the forest/woods -- he made pancakes out of cattails! Anyway, what caught my interest because I had a bag of fresh cranberries, was the syrup: a bag of fresh cranberries, sugar and fresh orange juice (I used one orange) and cook covered. Afterwards he mixed in some maple syrup and used on the pancakes. I did the syrup so this weekend I will make some waffles.

Satine, aren't grandkids wonderful! I have three myself and feel so blessed, even when they are stinkers, LOL! BTW, hope your cold didn't get worst.

I worked on my income tax returns for the past two evenings and completed them last night, yeah! I use TurboTax because it's easy for me. I hate it when I get less $ coming back from all they take! Wish the tax system would get cleaned up and let us keep more of the $ we work so hard for. I certainly could use a chunk to get my house painted and a new termite-free fence!

Have a wonderful day.

o

Hi everyone. So glad there are so many of us and hope this stays an active forum. Yes, grandkids are great even when they aren't! I head back up there tonight and won't be back home until Saturday. Long stretch but it will be fun. Anyone have plans for Vday? I think Im going out for an early dinner with a few friends. These are people I met through a bereavement support group 8 years ago and we have remained friends even cruising together.
MMMM waffles sound good even though I prefer pancakes. I usually just grab breakfast at work since we have a nice cafeteria and I just don't have time in the morning to do much about eating. Of course if you could see me you would be quite sure I never miss a meal-Im a little more than a little fluffy.
Income tax-what can I say. For some reason I end up paying every year. I really wish I understood more about filing and could do them myself. I not only have to pay the taxes but pay to have them done also. Hope everyone gets a great return this year and that you can do something fun with at least part of it. Take care. Satine

o

Gneegirl, Years ago we went to the DIL's for a BBQ and she did chicken. When we started eating I noticed my 13 year old son holding a piece of chicken with both hands and he had BBQ sauce oozing out between his fingers. I scolded him as quietly as I could and he said I can't bite it. Later we all started looking at each other and grinning, she had cooked baking hens. We could not eat it so we ate potato salad and baked beans and all had a good laugh including the hostess.

Update on my arm: I am taking my arm out of the sling for a couple hours a day, letting it hang and starting home exercise. You have no idea how hard it is to bend over and swing your arm WITHOUT using your arm, just body motion. LOL The therapist gave my upper arm and shoulder a sonogram treatment. I never heard of that before.

o

Hello, All,

Y'all are making me want to make waffles and/or pancakes. Not so much for the waffle/pancake as for those delicious sounding syrups!!

Stargazzer, your arm swinging exercise sounds exactly like one a doctor prescribed for me many years ago. I was having a lot of pain in my shoulder joint, soreness when pressed, etc. They diagnosed bursitis, just gave me some pain meds and had me do the exercise a couple of times a day for a few minutes. It worked!! Now, I still do it if I begin to even suspect its return. I had a rather high window sill, would place my bent arm on the sill, put my head down on my arm, back my feet away from the wall as far as I could, then began rotating the other arm with body motions. Did not take long to get the hang of it.

Tuesday I planted some new shrubs, and not wanting the dogs to pee on them, I decided to put temporary wire fences around each bush until they became established.
Before I finished I was distracted by other things that needing taking care of, so just left my roll of wire and wire snips in the yard to finish up later. I didn't get back to it. Yesterday morning when I let the dogs outside for the first time, they went dashing across the yard as usual. Little dog ran into that roll of wire and stabbed himself on one of the spikes left on the cut edge. He screamed, the Collie barked frantically,the neighbors dogs started barking, the neighbors came running to see what all the commotion was about. Murphy was running around in circles screaming and I could not get to him - and I could see blood all over his face and muzzle. Finally he ran thru the doggie door and into the house, went straight to the large carrier he sleeps in at night. I just knew he had blinded himself. I found the door to the carrier (I usually leave it off except when transporting him), snapped it in place, placed him in the car. The Collie insisted on hopping in and I didn't take time to argue. Sped to the vet fast as I could which was several miles away - little dog still yelping, big dog whining and crying because his little buddy was in pain. By the time we arrived little dog had quieted, and when I took the crate out of the car, big dog hopped out also and insisted on coming in with me - no argument from me even though he was not on a leash. Fortunately, there were no other patients in the waiting room, they took him immediately to the back, me and big dog close behind. I finally had to take the collie back out with me to the waiting area as he was circling the examining table crying, and I was afraid he might bite the vet if he thought he was hurting little dog. Good news - his eye was not injured. They did the dye test for scratches, scrapes, punctures, etc. The wire had cut into his upper lip so was causing a lot of bleeding. My little fellow was very brave and didn't yelp a bit, seeming to know he was being helped. We finally got home around noon. I wrapped little dog and held him in my lap most of the afternoon while big dog tried to sooth him by bringing him mouths full of kibble. Neither dog is much for toys, but they do love my dirty socks - he even brought in a couple of dirty socks. Such affection between 2 animals is very touching, so I sat there and cried. I guess mostly because I was feeling so guilty about leaving that roll of wire lying there in yard. Little Murphy had a bad night after the pain medication wore off. He slept by me on the bed, and moaned all night. I kept my hand on him lightly and talked softly to him, telling him he was going to be OK. Of course, I had already moved the wire, but when I let them out this morning neither dog went dashing hell bent for leather. Finally, this afternoon, little dog has began eating again and drinking water, but he is still enjoying lots of lap time. When I think of what could have happened I get cold shivers. Now I will never ever again worry about a bush getting peed on!! It just ain't worth it!!! How could I have been so careless!! As of this evening, little Murphy seems to be back to normal, bouncing all over as JRT's are prone to doing.

eloise, did the guy making the pancakes from cattails use the brown top part or the root? I have a friend, raised on a reservation, who told me once about making a bread of some type from the ground roots of the cattails. He said they ate that all the time one winter when they were about to starve. Very nourishing, according to him.

o

Oh, Gerry - so, so sorry to hear about the mishap with your doggie. Please don't beat yourself up about it. These things happen, and our caretaker has a way of understanding that, and bringing things back to normal. I'm glad that your doggie is doing better. It's even bett that the big pub is there to help out too.

It is interesting how animals take care of each other. Back in a past life, we had 2 black labs. They were truly a handful, especially since we didn't plan it. My ex brought them home from off the road. Another truck driver had picked them up from a women in New Enland to try to find a home from them. She was not taking care of them and he really felt they needed a better home - but not his! He called to everyone on the CB radio and asked in a truck stop down the road. My ex called me at work when I was getting ready to leave, to tell me I should expect company. I was so upset - that often happened if another driver broke down, or ever wrecked the truck and needed a way back home (yeah, really that happeded). I had had a very tough day and company was not my cup of tea for the evening. I actually hadn't expected my ex home that day. When I got home I was greeted by 2 six-week old pups. They were so close. The female always took care of the male. She even found a way to get them both loose when we had them penned. The kicker - I watched her open the garage door with the doorknob to get into the kitchen and literally TRASH the house. I can't tell you how many times the pound called me to tell me to come get them and pay a fine - BECAUSE THEY LET THEMSELVES OUT!!! We loved them and still talk about them today. But we had to give them up to others because it was too much to care for them withe everyone was away all the time. I'm so happy now, having my little Chihauhau. But, she is really become pretty rambunctous since I'm not home all day. Oh well, she still behaves when I ask her.

Stargazzer - so HAPPY for your progress! Believe me, I know all about those exercises - supposed to help but hurt like heck when you do them. I had some isometrics to do when my arm wouldn't even move. Every once in a while I will do them if I've stressed my shoulder too much. Good luck with becoming full circle on that.

OK Satine and Eloise - you are on tap for finding a way to stop the April 15 checks I have to write every year!! Since the divorce, and even when my income was stretched so thin the accountants told me to buy a different house, I always have to pay!! arrrg!!! Maybe I should have a baby or two!!

Where is love2sew. Hope you and everyone else are doing OK.

gneegirl

o

Gneegirl, I just had to immediately answer you last post DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT have a baby or two or eight. Compared to the stress, expense, patience needed, and long years of being responsible for another person the check that you write on April 15 pales in comparison. I know you were kidding and so am I. I agree that it Kills to have to write that check (s) every year. I just don't understand what I am doing wrong that Idon't get a refund like everyone else I know.
Stargazzer, I don't think I know exactly what your shoulder problem is. Sorry if I have forgotten a post about it but wonder if you had surgery or if it is an injury. I hope whatever caused it that you will soon be out of pain and back to normal.
Gerry, I sure understand about the escape dogs. Some day I'll tell the story about my grand dog Trinity ending up on the roof of my two story house!
Take care all. Satine

o

Satine, it is a spiral fracture that involves the upper arm (humorous),it broke at an angle, not cracked, but broke all the way through. There was another break above that break, that looks like a chip of bone that would fall out if there were no skin or muscle to hold it in place. That break involves the lower part of the shoulder ball. I did not know the shoulder was involved until that trip to rehab. I guess I was lucky I did not have to have surgery. I am allergic to two types of metal and didn't to find out if I was allergic to titanium.

o

stargazzer - I was watching QVC a few days ago and Louis Del Oleo was on. His arm was in a sling and I thought about you. He had fallen on ice about 5 weeks before. He must have been on a lot of meds to be able to make the moves he was making. He had broken his shoulder too.

Hey all - look what time it is!! I'm posting pretty early for once. I actually left work on time - well, a few minutes early. It wasn't even dark when I got home - YIPPEE!!! I've been staying up very late since I've been leaving the office late. Last night I was on the phone with my cousin who sinlge handidly managed to break the binds of the Michigan state/Jackson County court system to get my Dad and Step-mom into a nursing home in Kansas City!!! Not sure if I mentioned it here but I won't go into all of the details - it would take a few volumes!! Dad had a stroke about 5-6 years ago, and my step-mom was his caretaker. Since his stroke, he has been heading head first into Altzheimers. Well, last year January, my step-mom had a stroke - she's in her 70s. The docs all said she had the stroke about 10 days before anyone knew! It has truly been an ordeal. My parents divorced when I was twelve. Sis and I haven't had a lot of contact with Dad, but I've had most since, of course, he is Dad. My step-brother lives on the west coast; I'm on the east coast, and Dad is in MI - what a geographical nightmare. Folks weren't getting great care and it was all about the money to them. My step-bro had POA and I wasn't able to do much. I had been told that he and wiffey would take care of things. Turns out, they didn't. I received a call from Soc. Svc back in August and was told that I had to appear in court to have the folks handed over the the state for negligence!! OMG, was I shocked. There was a HUGE financial obligation to getting them out of MI. I don't know how my cousin did it because she is on limited funds herself. S-M, as sweet as she can be sometimes, can be a royal PITA becase of diabetes and HPB, and very old emotional distress. Maybe the courts were sick of her and decided to release them to family. Anyway, I am SOOOOOOOO HAPPY! they are out of MI!!! Not to make this story any longer, I will tell you that my cousins trip to get them to the new place was more eventful than you can imagine. S-M ended up needing in-flight medical care, twice, and was admitted to a hospital during a lay-over, and then again when they got to KS. All of the docs outside of MI said that they had received VERY poor care. I am so angry, but oh so relieved!! Anyway, I'm off my soapbox and won't subject you it any more. Just needed to vent and raise my head in THANKSGIVING - HE LIVES!!!! As much as my Dad tried to leave us, I would never just let an incompetent institution mistreat him like that.

OK - I'm done.

BTW, to all my single buddies, and everyone else too, HAPPY VALENTINES'S DAY!!! Enjoy.

gneegirl

o

Greetings all! Hope your weekend is going well and that you are off tomorrow!

Gerry, it appeared that the guy used the bottom root section of cattails, peeled and grated it to make the flour, but not too sure. Since I knew I wasn't going to go to that extreme, I didn't pay that much attention, LOL! Ouch, your poor doggy, but assume he is doing well now.

gng, glad your cousin was able to get your family out! It's very scary for some of the elderly, and hopefully we all have someone to care for us when the time comes.

Happy Sunday!

o

Happy Monday everyone. Gneegirl so sorry about your family troubles. I just hate that the elderly are so poorly taken care of (in some instances) between uncaring relatives and uncaring nursing homes. It makes me sick. I was lucky that my dear brother took both of our parents into his home and cared for them during my mother's altzheimers and my Dad's physical problems. I know that my brother is in a special place in heaven.
Stargazzer-OUCH that sounds so painful. Sure hope that your recovery continues in the right direction.
Hope everyone had a good weekend. I spent Saturday with my oldest daughter. I met with a jeweler and am having a ring left to me by my aunt repaired and sized so that I can actually wear it and have a part of her with me each day. We then had lunch in Ellicott City which Im sure Geenee girl is familiar with. Sunday my middle daughter had the whole family for dinner at her house in Leesburg Va. So nice to get together with all three daughters at once.
That's about it for me. Still trying to get over this nasty cold but Im not letting it slow me down. Satine

o

Good morning all! For Valentine's, the family went to go see Hotel for Dogs. We went to see this movie for my 2 y.o. granddaughter's sake, but we all enjoyed it, LOL! Sunday was beautiful and I actually got to do a bit of trimming (plants) outside, but last night it started raining again. Here it is Monday and it has been raining hard! I planned on going to Costco early, and later in the evening, we are going to Benihana's for dinner so hope the rain stops by then.

Satine, glad you had a grand time with family yourself!

Got a cd on trying to make myself clean house since I can't be outdoors, but I keep thinking of things I want to check on the computer, LOL! Later.

o

Hello all, thanks for the kind words regarding my arm. I had some very serious therapy today, some sharp pains which always stops her. She takes my arm puts it where she wants it, then puts pressure on it and that feels weird but no sharp pain. The pain comes when she lowers my arm. It was caused by ME not relaxing. As soon as we figured that out, she started telling me she was going to lower it, I relaxed and no more pain.

I spent the week end picking up the stuff around the house that I have been ignoring because of pain and some laziness. LOL I have a couple of tables that need to be carried down stairs, will have to grab a strong man when one walks down the street. It's getting late so I am going to pick out a movie to watch when I go to bed. I watched Ingrid Bergman a couple of nights ago in The Inn Of The Sixth Happiness, very good. Last night I watched Must Love Dogs.

o

Stargazzer - I tried to watch Must Love Dogs so many times this weekend but never got through it. I liked what I saw though. Hang in there with the shoulder. It does get better - just takes a while. I was at Drs today and finally asked her muscle stuff for my neck - the rotator cuff and tendon are tightening up and my exercising has made it worse. My new insurance covers the therapy but my deductible is sooooo high. BTW, Do NOT lift any tables - LOL. I posted here a long time ago I think about the first Christmas after my fall. I finally put up a live tree almost all by myself - so proud. Then I fell - thud!!!! I wasn't able to get help getting down and couldn't move my arm to get the decorations down. After about 3 months, I used loppers to cut each limb and then vacuumed like a mad woman to get the dead needles out of my white carpet!! The thought of that site makes me laugh out loud. I wonder what my nosey neighbors were thinking! AND, I'm still after 2yrs, getting to things that were left undone - whew!

Satine - yep, I know Ellicot City. It is pretty nice there, except that whole area has grown so much. That is such a special thought to have your ring repaired and refitted. I have a bracelet from my Mom that I really treasure. It's nice to have your Aunt with you in that ring. Getting together with all of your daughters sounds like the icing on the cake - great weekend!

Eloise - When you talk about planting in your garden, I am so jealous. I keep thinking between and Jo, some of your green thumb will rub off!! I would love to be out in my garden right now. But, it's coming - they say Spring is coming!! When you get master that CD, send us some examples. I am so under domesticated - send help!!

Just want to say, thanks, to everyone for your thoughts on my Dad and Step-Mom. They are sooooo happy and doing much better. My dad is finally getting therapy and sounds so much better!

Seems I've picked up some kind of bug and am on atibiotics. To bad they weren't the brand on the list of free ones at my grocery store. I just found out my diabetes meds will cost me $250/mo!! I talked to my Dr. about a new drug today but anything else will make me gain more weight. I have bad reactions to the rest. Hmmm, looks like I need to buckle down on a nutrition plan to get off the meds altogether. Anyway, I'm going to lay my head down for the night. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Gee, I write a lot, don't I - LOL!!

gng

o

Hope you all had a good day. I decided yesterday to leave my sling off while I am in the house, it sure feels strange. I see the Doc Weds and will have another x ray. I had lunch at CiCi's, then walked to the rehab hospital for therapy. I had house keepers in yesterday for 4 hours, made me feel like my house was awfully dirty. LOL They were very thorough, vents, fans base boards, all wood, window tracks, etc.. He told me his wife had been in the hospital with lung cancer and other lung problems but they were wrong. After they were here an hour I told him I know what her lung problem is, the chemicals your using and it will be cancer some day if she keeps inhaling it. She could hardly breathe.

o

Good thought Stargazzer - those chemicals are real threats. I starated using Ms. Myers products and lover them. They seem to keep things cleaner looking and slow down the need for dusting. I had a real chemical product in my bathroom the other day and decided to use it. OMG - I hadn't used that stuff for so long, it really blew me away. I hope she gets some good diagnosis and help. I've heard lung cancer can be in your system 12 years before it is found. Hoping they also switch products as well.

Glad to hear that you are able to go slingliess for a while. I didn't have a sling, but I'm sure it will take some time to get used to. I'm amazed at what I haven't been able to do for almost 2 years. Keep up the good work - therapy, etc.

o

Good morning all! gng, sorry, but don't have a master cd that will help with house cleaning, LOL! I try to clean without chemicals although I do spray a water and bleach solution on my kitchen sinks to make them look white as well as on the kitchen counter tile every so often.

Glad everyone is healing with arm/shoulder problems. Spring is right around the corner and soon we will all be outdoors enjoying the warmth. Yesterday, I planted some fig cuttings in clear plastic cups and I do hope they take. I can just taste the figs, but I know it will take a year or so before I get any fruit from these cuttings, if they take. Meanwhile, I did buy a 5-gal. Kadota fig that should bear this coming season because I am a "I want it now" person, LOL!

o

Eloise,

My neighbor has a fig tree - it is HUGE, and bears a lot of fruit. A guy from Mexico was doing some landscape work for me one day, and one of the guys that works with him noticed it but they called it something else in their country. They pulled off a few from the branches that were hanging in my yard and kept trying to make me eat some. I was hesitant because I had never seen them. OMG, they were soooooo sweat!! I know where I'll be this summer - out in the back, back yard - LOL.

Yes, it will be Spring soon. I'm watching the sun get higher and higher and lovin' it! I can really tell when the seasons change when I'm standing in my kitchen at certain times of the day. It's a little dark, but during Spring and Summer the glow is beautiful. As Fall is in full swing, and on into Winter, there is a warmer feeling - like fireplace and comfort meals. It feels good either way, but I'm a Spring and Fall person. Funny, I was born in the beginning of Winter and seem to gravitate towards colder climates, but I'll take CA anyday!!

Anyway, as always, 'sunny side up' to everyone!!!

gneegirl

o
RE: Ye Olde Coffee Shoppe - Revisited (My Auntie)

Hey guys - just found out that my Auntie passed away. She had been through so much over the past 10 years - loosing a daughter in a freak car accident, having to raise her teen-aged granddaughter, losing her DH after stroke and long care-taking, and then two strokes herself. She once told me that she didn't want to live any longer because she was afraid of having another stroke. I think she finally gave up - stopped eating, etc. She got sick and then I guess figured it was easier not to fight any longer.

I'm sad about this, but ya know, I am so happy for her - no more suffering!! She still was too young (young 80 yr old) to go now. The funeral is Tuesday. Anyway, just venting, again.

gneegirl

o

I can certainly relate to it. My Mom is 96 and wants to die. My husband had Alzheimer's and tried to end his life. My friend and I have discussed what we will do if faced with a serious diagnosis, we will end our life. I am a believer in assisted suicide. People love their animals so much they don't want them to suffer, but can sit back and watch humans suffer.

o

Stargazzer - I'm not sure I could actually do that, or even help someone stop their misery. But there is something about your thought - animals not suffering but prolonging human suffering. I think it's tied to the value of life; same as abortion cases. The other thing is money. It is so expensive to take care of a sick pet. When you have to choose between your Mom and your pet, most people will choose the obvious. That's why the insurance business has entered the animal kingdom. But what makes people think an animal isn't a life? I've watched an animal put down and it isn't pretty. The dog was not mine but my brother-in-law had to do the deal for a sick dog. I just happened to be at the animal hospital at the time to pick him up because his car wasn't working. It was a BIG dog and you could really see him take his last breath. Pretty sad.

o

Its all sad, dogs or humans. Assisted suicide is a very complicated subject, not easy, nor is abortion. I think abortion is murder, but would have one today if I were in that position. I could never carry full term then give it away. Someone said Washington State voted in assisted suicide, I know Oregon has it.

o

gng, you hadn't tasted figs before! You can start your own tree by taking cuttings now, and meanwhile, definitely spend more time in the backyard, LOL! Sorry about your aunt. My aunt (dad's sister) also passed away a couple of weeks ago at age around 90. She had a bad heart and so know that she is not suffering.

Wow, the posts certainly got more serious and want to put in my two cents. Abortion is murder, as is anyone involved in assisted suicide a murderer. It doesn't matter what 'nice' name people want to put on it or what excuse is used to justify it, taking someone's life, whether in or out of the womb, is murder. In losing my son through murder, I know that I would never put my daughter through the horrendous nightmare of dealing the loss of my taking my own life! There are others to consider in this thing called life.

o

It's not murder it's suicide. I don't know how other families feel, but my husband's family were not sorry when he died. They were sorry they lost their Dad to Alzheimer's, but relived when he died. He fought every time the care givers bathed him or changed his clothes. He had been in 3 care homes and the 3rd one getting ready to get rid of him, his next stop would have been a mental hospital. If you had been in my husbands situation your daughter would probably be just as relieved to see your suffering end.

o

I can truly relate to the relief Stargazzer! Right now my Dad suffers pretty badly and my Step-Mom is certainly on her way. Both are able to get around and do everything, but not on their own. As some of you may have read in other posts, they are now in a wonderful assisted living facility with a brand-new hospital close by. They were in a very small country town in MI, that basically counted them as revenue, and didn't do much to take care of them. Now that they are out of MI, they are getting much better care, and actually sound better. I know the day will come when we'll have to make another decision, because they are old, as well. But right now I'm HAPPY!! I wish it was so much easier on families because these are very hard decisions. I think both have DNRs on file, but it's still hard. I don't want them to suffer, but sure hate to make a decision. I would hope there would be enough meds around to make them comfortable 'til the end.

Life makes up happy, and life can make us sad...

Thanks Eloise, for your thoughts about my Auntie. I'm sorry about your family's loss as well. Yes, I'm ready to get out there in the yard - well, at least it would be happier if I was - LOL. Boy it looks ruff!

o

I can't stress enough that you need a comfort care document also. Living well covers machines that they hook you up to and a CC document covers meds that will keep you alive. My sis had hospice for her husband, one day a new nurse came in, read his file and advised her take him off all meds except pain pills and tranquilizers. He was an alcoholic and she advised to let him drink if he wants it...Make him comfortable.

o

Thanks stargazzer - helpful info. I always wondered about that.

o

Thanks gneegirl for the support. Most people won't say things like "relief" regarding the death of a loved one, but I think it's good therapy to discuss it and I think it helps relieve some of the guilt a person may feel regarding those feelings. I did not feel guilty, but was worried about telling others, that is why your support is appreciated.

o

Eloise - how do I start the Fig tree plantings? It's still pretty cold here; they are talking about 30s and snow/rain mix over the weekend. Is that too cold?

Thanks,

gng

o

Good Morning everyone. It has turned cold again here in Kansas, 21 degrees and I put a short sleeved blouse on this AM. will change that before I go out for lunch. I went to therapy yesterday and they started me on finger walking and painting. LOL

o

You go girl!!!! That is wonderful news. Did they give you a diploma????? I still do the finge walks, trying to keep my muscle tone - which seems to come and go.

I just left the eye DR. so not sure how I can read anything. But heard the GREATEST news - NO NEUROPATHY!! My eyes are very dry so I have to use the drops for a while. The biggest thing - I had total sight loss about 15 years ago from bleeding in the back of my eye. No one seems to know why, but evidently it was pretty serious. Each time I've had my eyes tested, no one seemed to worry; couldn't see any evidence. this Dr. saw a lot of residue blood still there. Of course he asked me if they found diabeted then, and i said no. He's perplexed about that, because there had to be a reason for something of that magnitude. He really things I had a blood clot that burst in my eye!! That scared me to no end. Right now though, he said my eyes were fine but gave me a new Rx for glasses. He kept saying though that he was worried about the bleed in the back of my eye. He is sending a note to my PCP - we'll see.

OK drops - wear off so I can see to drive to work. New job wiht no leave!!

Weather - beautiful for now, but expecting COLD with possible cold rain/snow mix through Monday - where is Spring???

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

o

Sorry to hear about your eyes, that's scary. I think we can have a real pity party going here. LOL I have cataracts, went to have the left one removed, the Dr said it was attached in the back and might leave a hole and fluid would leak out. I assumed I would go blind, so I am going to wait until it interferes with the driving eye test. He didn't seem to anxious to do the job. That's really scary.

o

gng, you've had some time there. I hope your eyes are fine now and this doc. is a good one. We want to trust that our doctors will do their best for us, but that isn't always the case.

Check out the fig forum here in GW for more info, but this is what I did. Take several fig cuttings now, and keep track of which side is up. You can easily do this by cutting the bottom straight across and can do the top in an angle. Strip any leaves it might have and cut the cuttings into about 8 inches long (just so they easily fit into a 1-gallon baggy. Wet a paper towel (not dripping wet), lay it on a flat surface, place one cutting on the towel with the ends sticking out about 1/2 inch and wrap (roll) a bit. Then, add another cutting to the same towel and wrap, another and wrap. I put a rubber band to hold the towel in place. I had four bundles (different fig cuttings) with each bundle having three cuttings. Zip the baggy and place in a warm place, e.g., on top of your fridge. Every few days check and if there is too much moisture, open the baggy for a few seconds and close again. If dry, spray/add water into the baggy and close. Eventually you will start seeing roots grow. When there is sufficient roots, pot up your cuttings. If you are able to get enough cuttings, you can try rooting some by planting directly in soil. Hope this is clear.

o

Oh Eloise - you are wonderful!! I've never done that level of gardening before. This should be FUN!! Thanks.

Yes, I've been through a bit lately, but not as much as some of our friends here, and on other Forums on GW. My heart really goes out to everyone here - its not just coming out of the woodwork anymore. Skeletons must be getting itchy too - trouble is everywhere! I THINK I can see the light at the end of the tunnel; just trudging along to get there. I'm smiling though - can't do anything else but that, and also offer my heart and hand to another. BTW, my "friend" that wanted a time-out because of being overwhelmed without a job - yeah, that one; he has been calling like crazy. I told him that he was dangerous, but that I had my antenna up this time - LOL!! Now THAT is making me smile - who has the upper hand now!. Me thinks me do...

See y'all

gneegirl

o

Good Afternoon everyone. Just thought I would drop in and say Hi. Hi! It's beautiful here in Kansas, I am having a good day today and typing with both hands. Hallelujah!!! Went to see Mom and my Sister today, took Sis some of my favorite movies as I replace the vhs tapes with dvd's. I stopped at Braum's and bought some of those Pecan Fudge Caramel Sundaes, they are so good they are downright sinful. Well, I'm gonna go sit down, watch a movies and eat one of those sundaes. Have a nice day all.

o

Stargazzer - are ya sharing!! Boy those sound good - even at this time of the morning!

Typing with 2 hands - I'm smiling! Sounds like your shoulder is getting better every day. I was listening to my boss yesterday, talking about his shoulder. He fell, like I did. You were at the tail end of the shoulder injuries, I think. He fell around the same time I did, and along with everyone else I know who had shoulder problems!! Maybe they should look into how to better protect shoulders. For something so small in comparison, they sure can turn you upside down when injured!! Best wishes for continued recovery!!

Eloise - just thought of something funny... When I was in HS, my nickname was "figleaf"!! PLEASE, don't ask me where that one came from. I was thinking of a name the other day for a login or something, and I suddenly remembered that. I can even remember the what the design of it on paper!! This weekend is supposed to be beautiful. I'm going to try to get some cuttings from my neighbors tree so I can have my own fig leaves!!

Hope everyone is doing well!

o

Good morning all! I got up late today, and although I was wide awake, I made myself stay in bed until 6 AM, LOL! I don't know how one is supposed to get 8 hours of sleep or more when you automatically wake up earlier.

Stargazzer, sounds like you are on the mend and that is good news! Pecan Fudge Caramel Sundaes sounds yummmy, and just like gng said "even at this time of the morning!"

gng, that's a great name "figleaf" and I won't ask, LOL! But, come summer, you might be able to make a bikini out of you very own fig leaves :-)

o

Which Summer, Eloise??!!! It won't be this one, for sure, as I'm ROTFLMAO!!!! Then again...

Hope you enjoy your day. It was beautiful here this afternoon. I'll have the windows open tomorrow. It must have been nice. I saw people walking around with not much more than a figleaf on. It was in the 70s.

o

Hi all. Hope everyone had a great weekend. The weather here was beautiful and I spent most of Saturday in Ellicott City where there are tons of antique shops and little gift shops. Didn't buy much but found some beautiful old hankies which I collect and I just had to buy a couple of them. Sunday went shopping with my daughter and finally found a new comforter for my bed. Really really tired of my old one! Now if I can just get my room clean enough to warrant putting the new bedding on I'll be a happy camper. Take care. Satine

o

Yeah Satine, it was beautiful outside this weekend,and TODAY, when I had to be at work. I strolled outside a few times today - the sky was glistening!! Saturday, I went apartment hunting with my sister and then she and another friend and I went to nice little Carribean restaurant - it was sooooo good. There was so much food that I ended up with three meals out of it. I know the feeling about an old comforter. I can't seem to find one that catches my fancy. I bet you'll get that room cleaned up now. New stuff always works for me. glad you had a good time.

gneegirl

o

Hello - I just found this site and love the idea of the Coffee Shoppe. I retired early last year at 62 and after 7 yrs as a widow feel I am doing pretty well. But, now and then when the lonely feeling hits, now I have some friends I can visit with, no matter what time it is. You all sound like great folks to share my coffee with. I am off to a day of Master Gardener class through our county extension office but look foward to visiting with you tomorrow.

o

Welcome livinup! Yep, this is a great Forum. You said Master Gardener - another one I can be jealous of. There are a few pretty good gardeners here too. What area are you in, if you don't mind?

Hope you stay awhile!

gneegirl

o

Hello to all-today was busy-my grandson comes 4 mornings this week before his pre-kindergarten class. I really like him to be here but when he leaves I kind of sit and rest for a while before moving on to my things, as you other grandmas understand. I am in Illinois and we are just starting to get a peek at decent weather. Flower bulbs are up and some green is showing here and there. Thats what I need after all the days with no sunshine. We learned about vegetable gardening in the MG class this week - If I grow spinach and broccoli guess I will have to substitute greens for the doughnuts I really liked to eat during winter.
Hope everyone continues to heal up as Spring comes, I always think I am a lot healthier in the sunny months.
I am supposed to be working on some quilt blocks but got carried away with a mystery book by Clive Cussler so now I am way behind.
I was trying to review all the posts and realized what really caught my eye at first...all the food talk.
One of my kids from Arizona called last night and that really put me in a good mood. I don't want to go back in time but just to the part where we saw each other more.
LivinUp

o

OK livinup - you named a couple of my favorite place; AZ an IL. CA is my all time favorite but either way, I would love to be off this east coast. I spent about a year just north of Chicago and fell in love with the place. Nothing special, so I don't know why 'cause it's COLD. I never though I woulb e attracted to a cactus until I flew in to the Phoenix airport and saw them all over the place - and the mountains!!

I'm not a grandma but my sis has 4 grans. They are truly special. It's fun to watch her with them. One is a brand new little girl!

Here's a thought - maybe you could make spinach donuts - LOL!!

o

Good Morning all, It's been cloudy, damp and cold here in Kansas. I like the sun to shine because it is solar heat for the living area of my home, it's nice to stretch out in the recliner by the window and soak up the heat and sunshine. I am doing better emotionally and physically. The last four months have been an emotional roller coaster ride for me. I am using my left arm and hand as much as I can without putting to much pressure on it. I don't lift or push with it.

I love every part of our country except Kansas, it's so flat and boring. LOL I guess everyone wants what they don't have. I have 3 trips planned this year. Next month a 3 day trip to Branson, don't usually like "shows" but am looking forward to seeing The Oak Ridge Boys this time and riding on the tram through the dogwoods. In May will take a bus tour to Chicago, have dinner on a boat and see the skyline of the city at night. Looking forward to that also. In August I fly to Europe, board a Princess ship and tour the British Isles and Iceland. So I have something to look forward to for awhile.

o

It's hard to try and catch up with all the different posts when you aren't able to log on each day.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. Yesterday, I got to go to the annual fashion show that my DD's job puts on every year. It was great, had wonderful food and I only spent half of what I did from last year on the silent auction, LOL! The day was pretty much overcasted all day, but since we were inside at the hotel, it didn't matter. I'm hoping the sun shines today so I can be outside doing some yard work after church.

o

Good Sunday afternoon, all,

Must be rainy/dreary nationwide this morning. Eloise says her skies in CA are overcast, just had an email from my friend up in the mountains and it is raining at his place, it's raining at my sister's home up in N.C., and it is also raining here near the eastern coast of SC. Heavy rains predicted for rest of today as well as tomorrow. Oh, well, I love a rainy day....

Five days and counting until the lst day of spring. Already in this area the azaleas, dogwoods, Bradford Pears, are beginning to bloom. Daffodils and forsythia have been blooming for a while already. Cool, then warm - rainy then sunshiny - the days seem to be taking turns doing their thing. Just hope it doesn't turn COLD again.

DD and her hubby's visit from Davis, CA, was much too brief - though a much longer stay than usual. They have just under 17 months left to go before returning for good. They are really looking forward to getting their lives settled and a family started.

Just finished decorating a half bath in a beach theme. The walls are sand colored, floor is wood. I used a small sisal area rug on the floor in front of the vanity. I managed to find an arrangement of sea grasses and sea oats, artificial but quite real looking, hung a painting of a beach scene with sand dollars, starfish, other shells, with just an edge of the ocean visible. In the corner I put a sweetgrass basket filled with sea shells I have collected over the years. On the vanity I put a french vanilla pillar candle in a large abalone shell (more for the creamy color than the actual scent). I have pale peach hand towels hanging, but since guests tend to be reluctant to use them, I added a wood stand-up paper towel holder and put on a roll of paper towels with a border of sea shells on it. The peach towels pick up the peach tones in the painting and on the inside of some of the conch shells in the basket. It has turned out very beachy - and peachy!! Am very pleased with the end result.

eloise, I read your tips in an earlier post about rooting figs so am trying to do some. Have some cuttings in pots, but also put three in a spot where I would love to have a fig tree, so if they root where they are I'm a bit ahead of the game.

Does anyone here decorate for St. Patrick's Day? I've done a little - in the living room I have a couple of leprechauns (sp?) sitting on a table by a shiny brass pot filled with flat chocolate mints wrapped in gold foil. Strung some green Christmas lights in a tall floor plant. On the dining table I have a bowl of daisies flanked with green candles, and have green place mats and napkins. I also cut some large shamrocks from green poster board and have three of them on my refrigerator door and smaller ones stuck to the glass in the back door.

I was up rather early this morning. Now, with it being a lazy Sunday and with the rain pattering against the windows, I may decide to snooze a while.

Hope everyone has a HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY.

o

Hey the sun finally came out and my WW says it's 59 outside. I have been watching Stargate most of the day, time for a change. I just bought the pilot of Stargate Atlantis. Should be watching it. Have a nice day all.

o

Somebody send some of that sun over here, please. It's been raining and dreary looking all day, but not as cold as I thought it would be. I had to run lots of errands today and didn't bother to put on a jacket to get out of the car (until the rain started getting pretty heavy).

I was at the BB&B today and wouldn't you know it, I suckered up and bought something that was staged at the check-out counter - that Sliders hamburger cooker. It makes the teeniest burgers, but is pretty neat. Martin's Potato Bread company makes buns just the perfect size. They remind me of the White Castle hamburger eating contests that my Uncle would start between all of the cousins when we visited them in NY, as kids. It's really a waist of money, but great if you have little ones around - no wasting meat or burger buns.

Ran into the HR rep from my last job, today. She and I became friendly while I was there - even though no one likes her. She was the one that had to be present when they let me go. I really felt badly for her because she knew they were wrong but couldn't do anything about it. I had just left her office when they did it, and I know she knew then. In five minutes we went from happpy, laughing at stupid stuff, to her having to deliver the ugly news. She lives close by so we'll probably get together to do stuff - movies, lunch/dinner, shopping, girl-stuff. I'm happy about that because there aren't a lot of people my age here and company is good sometime. Besides, my semi SO and I just ended our relationship, so i'll have a shoulder with kleenex.

Gerry / Eloise - good to hear from you 2! I haven't had an opportunity to get over to my neighbors yard yet, so I haven't started by fig tree yet. Maybe this week I'll get a chance. I'll be so excited if it works!

Stargazzer - I've never been into that type of movie/show, but I've noticed lately that the interest is growing. I'll have to check it out - saw it on last night, but flipped right on by.

Nite All!

o

I have never really gotten into a television show like some women do soaps, but I got into this series. It is so new and refreshing from normal TV. When one of the main actors quit I actually got mad at him. LOL I have all 10 seasons, the first movie starring Kurt Russel and the two follow up movies after the series was canceled. If you can find and watch Kurt Russel's Stargate first, then the first season it will make a lot more sense. Richard Dean Anderson is the star in the series. It's call Stargate SG 1. I highly recommend it. It was all shot in Vancouver and the surrounding area. If you buy or rent one be sure to check out the "special features" on the CD.

o
Where is everyone?

Ok, so what is going on with everyone? There haven't been any new posts for a while. Not much new with me-just going to work and heading home. I did babysit last night for my two granddaughters. That is always fun. Picked them up from afterschool care and went to the library where the youngest one had a scout meeting and the oldest one spent time on the computer. I had a full hour to just relax and read a good book I'm really into. What is everyone else up to? Satine

o

The same as usual here, therapy, lunch and shopping, therapy, lunch and shopping. LOL I had an evaluation yesterday, improved over all, some as much as 31%. Don't know what to believe, they really push when they take measurements. Seems like they want a good report card. I have lost a lot of respect in the medical care in the last 10 years. This is laundry day, time out for lunch at Freddie's. My house cleaner came over yesterday and I had him just do the floors because I don't like the chemicals he uses on other surfaces. I had a runny nose for 3 weeks after he cleaned last month. Have a nice day all.

o

Wanted to add to my post. I ordered a turtle sundae at Freddie's after I had eaten my burger and the guy in charge didn't charge for it. I asked why and he said his Mom bought him ice cream when he broke his arm and he wanted to do it for me. I have met a lot of nice people during this time. You only hear the bad stuff about people on the news and in the paper it's nice to see most are very nice. It really gives you an emotional lift when someone does something nice like that.

o

Stargazzer, I read your post and just had to say ahhhhh how sweet of that fellow. MMMM burger and a sundae sound good to me. So, what is Freddie's? When I want a good burger and really really good fries I go to Five Guys but they don't have ice cream so sounds like Freddie's might be the place to go! I have a friend going through physical therapy after shoulder surgery and she is just about disgusted with it. Poor thing just wants to be all better and Im sure you can understand that. Take care. Satine

o

Freddys Frozen Custard is a hamburger place. They are made fresh, no warmers and they are steak burgers, very thin patties so I order the double. You forget what a hamburger is suppose to tastes like after years of Burger King, McD's and Wendys. I have one once a week so I don't get tired of a good thing. They open at 10:30 AM which is a plus for me because the days I eat lunch out I don't eat breakfast. We don't have a Five guys here.

I am not disgusted with the therapy as much as going through this kind of thing without some counseling about what to expect, what's normal, what needs the doctor's attention. Same thing when I had surgery years ago. No one in my family had surgery so I had no idea what to expect and I am not one of these people who just lays back and let them do what they want with my body. I want to know what and why. As I said before the emotional roller coaster ride is worse than the pain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freddys

o

Hi everyone!!

Yes, it has been a little quiet around here. OK, I want to go to Freddy's!! I'm not a burger person, but when they are FRESH and juicy, I'm a real fan - just add the Bleu and Cheddar!!

Med industry - I'm with you. I LOVE my Dr., but I've been suffering with sinus and ear infections over the past 4-5 years. I was referred to an ENT, and then lost job so couldn't follow up. My PCP is stingy on the antibiotics, and I know why. But, when I need them, I need them. I had an appt with the ENT this week. I have a very bad sinus infection and also ear infection. That is so bad, they are sending me for hearing test!! I wish my Dr. would have been a little more willing to part from the norm because I've been suffering so much. Much of my ranting and pity-partying here has been a result of not feeling good, or being able to deal with things because I was was feeling so badly. The problem - now that I'm on meds, I feel a billion times better, BUT, the darn meds cost over $300! My diabetes meds are almost $600 for 90 days. The insurance with my new job carries a $1200 deductible - YIKES!! I had to borrow to get just the one. Think we need to revamp the entire med/drug/geriactric/special needs policies.

OK - I'm off my soapbox. There are others with worse problems.

Nothing much going on here except that it's so windy and cold for the 1st day of Spring. It's supposed to be relatively nice for the weekend, so I might be able to venture over to the outer corner of my yard, to "steal" a few branches on that fig tree. I want to try that method that Eloise mentioned. Wish me luck!!

Hope all others are doing well. Will check back later. Oh, BTW, it's nice to see a few posts again!

gneegirl

o

It's slipping down here and we don't want that. It's a beautiful day here in the Midwest. It's nice driving or walking down our street and seeing people out working in their yard. It was 65 when I went for my walk this afternoon. I cleaned the garage floor and the sweeping was difficult so I got out the garden hose and hosed it. I think I will find a stool to sit on and cut my variegated ornamental (12") grass tomorrow if it is still nice out. I can do that without using force. The therapist told me I need to use my left arm. I have to remind myself to use it after 4 months in a sling and protecting it. I am watching journey to the center of the earth with Treat Williams and it ended without finishing so I have to put in the other movie DVD, I hope it's on there. It was a two movies in the package.

o

Time just flys! Hope all are doing great, and ready for the weekend.

I am going to try to get to Descanso Garden on Saturday for their plant sale. First, I need to mow the lawn! I had to take the mower in for service and also a cable was breaking. With the rains we had before, dandelions just sprouted all over the lawn so I really need to mow them down. Yesterday, I did pull some up, but I prefer to just mow them to keep them from flowering and reseeding. I had a call that the mower was ready so I'll pick it up tomorrow afternoon. How exciting, NOT!!!

Gerry and gng, I hope you both succeed in starting your own fig tree. A couple of days ago, I planted one in a big redwood planter box. I might try to espalier it. I would have loved to have it in the ground, but gophers love fig tree roots, and I have gophers!

We've had some great weather, but the last two days, we have been getting high winds.

Stargazzer, I've watched Stargate probably twice with Richard Dean Anderson. I did enjoy the episodes, but there must have been something else on at that time that I preferred so only watched a couple of times. What I really try not to miss is when Prison Break and Lost are on!!!

A fantastic weekend to all!

o

Sorry guys, no luck on the fig tree yet, for me. Can't quite get to it yet. I think it was cut back some. The electric company around here has been in a lot of hit water for the power outages because they haven't maintained their lines. I they they have been in the back yards. I have a transformer in my backyard by the fig tree. I'm sure they had to cut some of that. I'll keep trying. Funny, QVC just had one on, over the weekend, I think. I almost bought it, but thought x2 - why should I pay when I can get it for free...hmmm. We'll see what happens.

Not much going on here except it's been cloudy and rainy today. That will last through the weekend so they say. We need the rain but not on the weekend folks - please. My house looks pretty rough since my yard really needs attention. Then again, so does everyone else's on my block.

I had some interesting news yesterday. I had been turned down twice on a job I applied for last Fall. They called yesterday to ask if I was still interested. Of course not - the Director is a you-know-what. BUT, I've been thinking about looking for another job. I started my current job in December and really don't want to change. But I need better bennies - especially health insurance. The other job isn't as much money, but enough. They pay for all benefits, which are far better than what I have. Plus they are a little more structured for what I do. It's been a little bit of a struggle at my current job, with having no structure, and most times, nothing to do. There's plenty of work, but the owners operate like a mom/pop, and are very slow to update. Simple things like direct-deposit are way over the top for them. Around here, it's almost a no-brainer. I haven't got to the bank to deposit a check in more than ten years. So, we'll see. I'm supposed to their offer tomorrow. I won't count my chickens just yet, and of course will think very hard about the switch.

Eloise, when you finish cutting yours will you head East to do mine too? I need to get a lawn mower since both of mine are broken. The guy that has been cutting mine will probably start soon, He is such a great guy and continued to come even when I couldn't pay him after I lost my job. He comes regularly, which is tough to get around here, and it pretty cheap. Since I'm still trying to catch up and get my savings back though, I might get a new mower and start cutting the yard myself - at least for a while. Besides, I need the exercise.

Hope everyone is doing OK. Nite, all!

o

Eloise, I think you can kill gophers with pellets. Moles won't eat it.

o

Greetings all. I have a couple of minutes.

Yesterday they called that the mower was ready. Today I stopped after leaving my DD's home and they said it wasn't ready, that the engine blew!!!! They ordered one so it will be another week, rats, I was all ready to start mowing today! I talked to the owner (the wife) about recommending a gardener and she said she had a good one, we'll see how much he charges. gng, on my way to mow your lawn, LOL!

Stargazzer, previously my SIL tried the pellets, but they don't work that well. To me, the best is trapping them, which kills them, but I haven't taken the time to set the trap. The nursery by my house said to leave the dead gopher in the tunnel and cover it. They said this deters other gophers. In the past when I trapped, I always discarded the gophers in a bag and put in the trash.

I need to find something for dinner. I had it all planned out that I would pick up the mower, stop by Panda Express and eat, change clothes and mow. Since the mower wasn't ready, I didn't stop at Panda, but instead came home and got some Rocky Road ice cream :-) until I get some dinner, LOL!

gng, if you like the job and they pay you well, never not consider a position because the owner/manager/director is a "b". It depends on how secure you are about yourself and your abilities. I took a position for more $$ knowing the big boss was a total nut (tyrant). Everyone talked about them, but do you know that because I knew my job well, was hardworking, did not let others step on me, never allowed anyone to disrespect me, and saw myself an equal to others, that boss and I got along just great at the end. Sure we went a couple of rounds several times, and when the boss realized I could not be intimidated like most were there, things worked out. I even got paid some great overtime when everyone else said it was not allowed. After that boss, I had a couple others that came into that position, but at the end, it worked out for me. Once, a new manager came in that immediately I knew we would not get along. She told me "I like having my way" to which I said "that's funny, so do I!" Anyway, she ended up leaving. I have great respect for those that are hardworking and earn their keep. Anything less than that is not acceptable, and please believe me, there were lots that spend their entire day figuring out how to not work! Thank God I am now retired, LOL!

A great weekend all!

o

bye, bye coffee shop. I guess I'll have to go to Quick Trip to get my cherry cappuccino.

o

Eloise - thanks, my yard looks wonderful - LOL!

Stargazzer, where are ya going? Did I miss something. Hope you are doing OK!!

We had a BEAUTIFUL Sunday afternoon. I know up in Satine's way, it changed to bad weather again, but it stayed pretty nice where I am. I'm probably about 20 - 30 mi away. The wind was something else though. I was almost blown away this morning while walking from my car into my building at work. When I came home my neighbor yelled out that I would need sun glasses if I wanted to go into my backyard. The electric company was here today - they hacked a bunch of trees - all in my neighbor's yard, but hanging mostly in my yard. Now the transformer sticks out like a red sore thumb in my yard. In doing that, they really cut back the fig tree, and I can't even stretch enough to reach it. I'm going to ask my neighbor if he would cut a piece for me. My yard really does look naked without the trees. I'm a little PO'd, but it doesn't look as bad as some I've seen after they've been there. Oh well, maybe I can grow grass now instead of moss!

Eloise - thank you so much for the peck talk about my job. I have not heard from the other company. Right now, I'm glad about that. Each day is a different day where I am now. Today was a good day. I think my boss realized that something I had been talking about since I've been there, was really true, and I did know what I was talking about. He actually made an attempt to let me know that he didn't think his confidant was not quite right in his thinking. I didn't say anything - just remained neutral. We'll see how things go tomorrow.

Nite all...

o

gneegirl, Just joking around about the "coffee shoppe". Since it was slipping I thought I would have to go to the convenience store to get my cappuccino fix instead of at Ye Olde Coffee Shoppe.

Photobucket

o

Good morning everyone. I was away for the weekend and didn't get back until last night. I had a good time at my sister's house and really feel like I've had a mini vacation. We shopped and ate and shopped and ate some more. We talked alot! When I got home last night my youngest daughter took me to dinner at Panera's so I didn't have to face reality until this morning. Hope everyone had a good weekend. I have some flowers bloomed in the little bed in front of my house so I am feeling like spring is here. Hope everyone is well. Satine

o

That sounds like my day, shopped and ate. Only I do it alone.

o

Hi all!

Stargazzer - I thought that's what you meant, but you scared me. You can't leave us! Then I thought you were talking about your shoulder, and thought I missed some treatment you were going to have. No worries though. Glad you are still here!!

Satine - thought about you all weekend, and hoped you were enjoying your trip. I'm so happy you enjoyed your "VAC"!

What a day for me! I knew I was going to need to have some work done on my car, but was holding off as long as I could since I've been trying to recoup from not having a job. WELL (as the saying goes), as I was driving to work, I kept hearing a rattling as I was driving, and especially when I pulled off - say from a light. Because my ex had been looking at some things that needed fixing before, I knew it was my brakes. As the day went on, I knew I didn't have a choice - I was going to have to get new ones this weekend. Turns out, it had to be TODAY! My sister knows a mechanic that works at GY, that had done some work on my other car (she drives that one). He put brakes on my car a few years ago, and he's very good. I called my ex to see if he was home (not trucking on the road), and luckily he was. In his past life - and this one too, I guess, he was a mechanic, also having worked at GY. He told me that he was working on the truck, and to call the other mechanic. That guy actually came out to my job, picked me up to purchase the parts and came back to the job and put on the brakes - both sides, right there in the parking lot. It only took him about 40 minutes! What a great guy. He did tell me that I needed rear brakes too, but will put them on in about 2 weeks. He also told me that the power steering pump problem I had been having was because of the hose - it was bad and releasing or adding (don't ask me, that's why I pay them)pressure. The noise was awful. Not I don't have to replace it - just the hose. With all that happening (took all day to arrange), my boss decided he wanted to be in charge today - unlike his niceness from yesterday. I've been trying to nicely add professional opinion to prevent problems down the road. I thought that's why they hired me. Guess I was wrong. He is so rude when he wants to be the one calling the shots - even when he's wrong. Don't get me wrong. I have the GREATEST respect for his knowledge. But he can be very ugly when he wants to have his own way, even when he's wrong. So all of that going on today, has really made me tired. But, I do feel better that I have good brakes. Plus, to top it off, my sister found a job, and starts work this weekend. It's been a real struggle for her as a skin care specialist, especially with the downed econoly. Now she will be managing a spa, instead of a provider. Mo money, mo money, mo money! She has an autoimmune disease and needs health insurance. After 10 years, she will finally have it - YIPPEE!!!

Anyway, I've said e-nuf here. Hope everyone has a great night!! Be careful with that stupid computer worm tomorrow!

gneegirl

o

Stargazzer and gnee, good to hear from both of you. Stargazzer if you lived nearby you would be welcome to join us shopping and eating and gabbing any time. Gnee, sounds like you had one he!! of a day. Doesn't it seem like everything comes at once not giving us a chance to catch our breath. Hopefully your car will be good for a while and your boss-well-sometime people are just jerks. Im glad you (and I) have a job right now even if not a dream job. We just got an email from our ceo telling us that since 40% of the companies in the same field as ours (network systems) aren't giving raises we're not getting them either. I did notice he only mentioned raises and not bonuses which I know did go out in January. As the old saying goes the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. I guess I'll just have to tightent the belt a bit more or maybe find a little part time job to help out. Hope everyone has a good day. Satine

o

Thanks Satine, When we bought this new home, I made friends with some of the new owners, but couldn't go places with them because my husband had Alzheimer's. After he went into a home, I started socializing with my neighbors. After a year or two, I backed away. I have a tendency to put everyone else first so after awhile I was eating where they wanted, going places with them I didn't want to go, etc., so I backed off and am enjoying being by myself and spoiling me. It gets lonely at times, but still preferable to me.

o

Hi all -

Yep, the car rides much better. How the heck did it know that I spent all that money on it yesterday!!

Satine - I hope the job situation remains steady for you. Yes, the rich continue to get more MORE rich. One of the reasons I like where I am is that the boss - the owner is close to everything and seems to babysit us a lot. He likes that, but is getting too busy for it. But, that does mean that he generally cares about us. He is VERY well known and liked by the customers and that helps too. I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon. I did get a call from the other company today. They want to meet on Monday, supposedly so that the jerk that interviewed my last can apologize and he and I can start from scratch. It won't be an interview because the job is mine if I want it. Not sure what I'll do yet. They are only a couple of blocks away from where I am now, and that makes it more difficult to deal with - there is no real discriminator. We'll see.

Stargazzer - I know what you mean about doing everything everyone else wants. I have many friends that are upset because I don't stay in touch. My reason doesn't have anything to do with them per se; it's just that so much has been going on. But, when we were closer, whenever I ask to do something, I, or it was too far. That said, one friend that always does this, has always been soooper supportive and has done so much for me. But, that control thing is a bit much.

Hey guys - got an idea. Maybe we can cyber-shop together!

o

stargazzer, is there such a thing as cherry cappuccino? Sounds delicious! O.k. you mentioned about the olde coffee shoppe going away/slipping. We can keep posting up to about 150 post so we have a little more to go before: it either goes away because we've reached the limit or we start another post!

gng, I am glad you liked the way I mowed your lawn, LOL! Whoa, cyber-shopping is dangerous! We did that on ebay over at the Brug forum, and we all had like three windows on our computers opened: ebay, our email and the Brug forum. We kept telling each other what we were bidding for so the other members wouldn't bid against us. Several of us were drinking either beer or wine while we waited on whether or not we got what we bidded for. It was like a party, very energizing and a lot of fun. After that, ebay changed the way they display the names of the people bidding, LOL! BTW, good luck with whatever you decided re. jobs.

satine, your mini-vacation sounds wonderful, and I am glad you had some flowers blooming!

Let's see, I did hire a guy to come mow the lawn twice a month, which he will start this month. However, last month, he wanted to do a thorough clean-up which I agreed. He said he would trim everything nicely. When I got home, I was saddened as I went around the front and back yards where some of my bulbs and other plants that were sprouting were cut down :-( The yards look so 'clean' but I really like the jungle-look. I know those plants will grow again, but I might not see them bloom this season. I assumed when he said he would trim everything nicely, that he was talking about trees/shrubs.

You all have a wonderful week.

o

A convenience store here has the best cappuccinos in town and they had a banana and a cherry. The cherry one has a caffeine warning on it. I thought all cappuccinos had coffee in them until I saw that. Most cappuccinos are to sweet for me so I add an inch of coffee.

about the coffee shop slipping away. I just meant no one is posting and it is slipping out of site. Just teasing about it.

o

OK, I'm bringing this one back to the top. Hoping some of the group will at least check in to say Hi. One I know, and hope is OK, is Eloise. Sorry to call you out, but you are missed here. We both know it has been a little sparse, and the topics have been ho-hum, but check in to let me know you are OK.

Everyone else - grab a cup and have a seat!!

gneegirl

o

Hi everyone. Not much new with me. I have been working and then heading home to veg out. Im in a real slump and can't seem to get myself out of it. Things are really slow at work and I guess that is part of the problem-too much time with nothing to do. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and hope everyone is doing well. Satine

o

Hi!!!! Sorry about that gng, time has just been getting away from me. I have been going out more with friends and so that means less time on the computer, LOL!

Been out in the yard this morning, and decided to check in here. I 'repotted' two small water gardens into one larger one. The water kept disappearing and I assume it's birds, my one hen and a raccoon. This one pot is a bit taller so maybe that will help. I had planned on going to a class near the nursery by my house, but then decided not to only because if not, I don't get anything done here.

Well I'm off to get lunch. Have a great weekend all!

o

Hi there Eloise!! Good to hear you are still around, but even better to hear that you are enjoying what we all should be doing - getting out, being with our friends and staying off this darn computer. Check in every once in a while - just to let us know you are doing. BTW, a hen???

Not much going on here - too rainy. I finally couln't stand being in the house any longer today, so I took my little doggie for a ride. Believe it or now, I went to a few garden shops and walked around in the rain. I wasn't the only crazy one though. There were a lot of people doing the same thing - they even bought stuff. I saw some things - shrubs and green plantings, that were very reasonably priced for this area. I'm still in the dream stage of what I want to do for landscaping. The electric company here - I think I mentioned it before, has been whacking down trees because of horrible power outages. They have been mandated to do this, and were even being investigated for large scale and lengthy outages. I guess the revenge is to cut down everything in sight, and with the least amount of care/concern. I now have a VERY hot and sunny yard - even in places where I had some beautiful perrenials that require shade. Oh well, I like doing this stuff - just not re-spending for areas that I thought were OK.

The only other thing - I think I've decide to have my thyroid removed. It is bugging the heck out of me and all of my Drs. have said it should be removed. Not sure I'm OK with that just yet, but the surgery is scheduled for June 10th. We'll see if I keep that appt!!

o

Greetings all. Hope all moms had a fantastic day yesterday -- I did!

gng, yes I have one chicken in my backyard. She is an Americana and lays beautiful light green/blue eggs! I used to have more, but throughout the years either they died naturally or raccoons got them. I'm now using the area that was their coop to house some of my shade plants. My 'Chicky' roams free in the backyard, and in the evening goes into the garage where I have a big parrot cage. She is safe there from raccoons. BTW, what kind of symptoms are there with the thyroid? Hope you don't need to have it, or anything else, removed.

Getting ready to meet some friends at a park so we can do some form of exercise, LOL! Hope the mosquitoes don't attack me.

o

Eloise - sorry, just seeing this message. That's interesting, about your little chik-a-dee. I used to live in an area that was farmland turned to more suburban life. But there sure were a lot of barnyard animals - and Bambi's babies. It was fun, except for the rooster that crowed at my daughter's bedroom window at 4:30 every morning. My sister and I had Easter chicks that didn't make it very long in life. My ex was raised on a farm in GA, and of course they had chickens. We drove down for a funeral and his wonderful aunt fried chicken for us to take on the 14hr trip home. I would not eat it because I thought it was made with one of the chickens from her yard! It wasn't, but it was a long time before I could eat chicken.

Thyroid - well, yep, it needs to go. I'm not sure of the urgency, which is why the docs are urging me to remove it. They can't tell with one nodule whether it is cancerous because it is so large, and the biopsy could yield some false negative. We'll see. I'm not convinced yet - there is an entire lifestyle change once its removed. More to follow...

o

Hope everyone is enjoying this 3-day weekend for Memorial Day! Planning on gardening tomorrow, but today after church, we are going to a restaurant by the beach!

Thanking all the families, and veterans for their sacrifice and service. God bless.

gng, that's funny about your ex's aunt having fried chicken and you connected it to the chickens in her yard, LOL! Wishing you a remedy for your thyroid issue.

o

Hi Eloise - thank you for your kind thoughts. That day is getting close and now I'm getting cold feet. The pre-op is thursday so we'll see. If I can find another way, I'm all for it.

Lunch by the beach sounds great to me, especially when the family gets together. I planned to do so much this weekend, but I tell you, when the sun is out, I'm outside -planting, rearranging and docorating my yard. Now I don't feel like doing what I was supposed to do inside. It was a good weekend though - I was and the Mall and ran into some friends I hadn't seen in about 3 years. As we were talking, a relative of theirs, and her family walked up to us. I hadn't seem my friend's daughter since she was a baby - she is now 13, and shopping for a dress for her 8th grade dance!! That made for such a special day - and weekend.

This is really a family holiday - many share it with family as the beginning of summer (end of winter) and many truly spend it memoralizing our current and fallen heroes of the Military. It's something that you think about but when you really connect the dots, we do owe our soldiers, past and present a heavy debt of gratitude. As we read about the many civil wars and blood baths in other countries, and also remember "9/11", we have to feel pretty special, and it's because of our men and women who lay it all out there for our freedoms. A heartfelt "THANK YOU" to those of you that think I'm special enough to fight for my freedom and that of those I love.

o

Good morning everyone. Glad everyone had a good weekend. I haven't been around lately so Im going to be busy catching up with what everyone is doing. I had a good weekend with dinner out with friends Saturday, dinner out with my daughter Sunday and a cookout at my oldest daughter's on Monday. Gee, seems like all I did was eat! I did also get to church, buy and plant some flowers and do a little cleaning. All in all a good weekend. Im going to catch up now. Satine

o

Hi everyone - just checking in to this v-e-r-y s-l-o-w sight. I know, I'm "guilty" too. I've been watching but not posting. Hope all are doing well and enjoying Sping and having fun outside.

FYI - I think I've mentioned that I needed to have my thyroid removed. Well...; I'm scheduled for Wednesday of this week. I think I've accepted it, but still a little nervous. Hopefully I'll begin feeling better after the surgery. I'll keep you guys posted. If you don't hear from me in the next few days, it's probably because I won't be near the internet. Wish me luck, and please include me, the Dr. and the support staff, in your prayers.

See ya on the flip side!!

gneegirl

o

OK - where is everyone. My voice is almost back so I can shout now. Good to be back on the mend. Wish we had some rain though - not fun looking at wheat in my front yard.

How are you all doing?

gneegirl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here