SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gerry1117

Ye Olde Coffee Shoppe - Revisited

Gerry1117
15 years ago

Hello, all

I haven't been around in months and months, but do lurk now and then to keep up with everyone.

The Coffee Shop has always been where anyone can post on any subject that strikes their fancy. So come on in and have a seat and a cup of java (or whatever you prefer) Share a funny incident in your life, tell us about your new love, talk about the weather in Maine, or just let your mind ramble a bit.

Me? I was bit grumpy this morning. It's very cold for this part of the world - and my power was off for a couple of hours so the house got rather chilly - I couldn't use the 'puter - the trash removal service missed picking up the garbage.

But now I feel myself returning.....it's warm inside again and the computer is up and running....I am now a happy camper!!

May everyone have a wonderful day.

Comments (140)

• gneegirl
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh Eloise - you are wonderful!! I've never done that level of gardening before. This should be FUN!! Thanks.

Yes, I've been through a bit lately, but not as much as some of our friends here, and on other Forums on GW. My heart really goes out to everyone here - its not just coming out of the woodwork anymore. Skeletons must be getting itchy too - trouble is everywhere! I THINK I can see the light at the end of the tunnel; just trudging along to get there. I'm smiling though - can't do anything else but that, and also offer my heart and hand to another. BTW, my "friend" that wanted a time-out because of being overwhelmed without a job - yeah, that one; he has been calling like crazy. I told him that he was dangerous, but that I had my antenna up this time - LOL!! Now THAT is making me smile - who has the upper hand now!. Me thinks me do...

See y'all

gneegirl

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Good Afternoon everyone. Just thought I would drop in and say Hi. Hi! It's beautiful here in Kansas, I am having a good day today and typing with both hands. Hallelujah!!! Went to see Mom and my Sister today, took Sis some of my favorite movies as I replace the vhs tapes with dvd's. I stopped at Braum's and bought some of those Pecan Fudge Caramel Sundaes, they are so good they are downright sinful. Well, I'm gonna go sit down, watch a movies and eat one of those sundaes. Have a nice day all.

• Related Discussions

Bosch DW Cycles (Norm,Heavy,Auto) Revisited

Q

Comments (12)
    last night, for the first time tried the "half load" option (with Auto) and decided to use a some Cascade advanced gel since have container of that left and i'm into the whole experimenting thing :) it seems that "normal" according to the manual hits a lower peak temperature than Auto can... nothing terribly dirty (not pots and pans this time, but some dried on steak fat, but it cleaned well and in shorter time than usual (maybe 1:40). i may be using this half load option more often as i think that fits our usage patterns better. i'm still very nervous about leaving dishes in the DW more than the "day of" due to a long time ago experience of ants in the dishwasher... but...what struck me was the fact that as opposed to our old GE, the house did not smell of Cascade during the DW running. i'm not opposed to that smell like many, but i liked the fact that it didn't permeate the whole house. pretty cool and suggests that the Bosch is better sealed than the GE? @kashmi: thanks for the offer. i'm not sure what tests to suggest, but i'll let you know. i do have the suspicion that one dirty item and a lot of other clean items would really be hard for the "auto sensor" to figure out, if my guess of how it works is correct (checking water clarity down the drain). in reality, i don't think i would/should be doing too many pots and pans in the dishwasher...it just isn't a good use of space. aside: i'm also recognizing the benefits of the many foldable tines in our old GE and the top level Bosch 800plus 9ER. i wish the racks in our 7ER had more foldable options, but there was no way i was going to pay an extra $700 for those options. wondering aloud: how durable are these tines anyway? i'm wondering if i should be extra cautious (i have been so far) about them getting bent by pots and pans or heavy itens resting on them (ie, when they aren't/can't be folded down)
    ...See More

Do you like Starbucks coffee?

Q

Comments (100)
    This thread is definitely getting some mileage... Evaluating and recommending coffee, especially grading outlets that brew it is a nearly impossible task: Consistency in roasting coffee is the main thing that sets a master apart from the run of the mill roaster. Good espresso is almost always a blend of beans from different parts of the world all contributing to a certain aspect in the finished cup. The finished flavor of the combined beans is controlled by the taste buds of the roaster that does the blending. So the first challenge is finding a flavor profile that you like. The next challenge is getting that same flavor the next time they blend a batch for roasting. It's not too tough if their supply of green beans is large enough that they can simply follow a ratio of this bean and that bean the next time they blend from that stash of beans; they follow a recipe. The thing that sets the great roaster apart from the typical is the ability to achieve the same flavor profile when new beans come in from the growers. Simply using the bean from the same variety, even the same farmer, is not a guarantee because growing conditions alter the flavor of the bean from season to season. The master roaster must be able to tweak the recipe, and at times even introduce an entirely new varietal into the mix, in order to achieve the same flavor. This is no easy endeavor! So saying, "I like Luigi's espresso roast from ACME Roasters" is no guarantee that it will taste the same the next time you buy it. Add to this the short life span of a roasted bean before huge flavor differences occur (2 weeks max), the ability or lack of ability to properly grind and brew the stuff, the quality of your water, etc, etc- coffee is a very crazy culinary world of variables. I pride myself in having a very good knowledge of the subject, over twenty years of personal experience and pursuit, a ridiculously expensive set of brewing equipment; and I am constantly disappointing myself in my own ability to make a great cup of coffee. Espresso is the hardest. Even with pro equipment worth several thousand dollars and all of my skill, I think I can safely claim an 80% to 90% success rate in preparing what I consider a perfect shot. To get a success rate that consistent takes an almost insane degree of passion and concentration. There are definitly some exceptions but I find it so hard to buy a decent cup of coffee, I usually don't. To repeat what I said earlier about the genious of Starbucks- their roasting style is the best one for producing consistency regardless of the person preparing it, assuming that person has a modicum of training. The delicate nature and subtle nuances of a light to medium roast is traded at Starbucks for a robust, almost singular monotone flavour. I don't like the stuff but I understand so many that do, because of the consistency and lack of surprise. Follow your nose and your tastebuds. Not every flavor appeals to every person. Consider Liver and Onions for instance... michaelp Here is a link that might be useful: the prize...
    ...See More

Revisiting Clorox Green Works Detergent :)

Q

Comments (65)
    I don't know where you guys are getting that Walmart is doing great. They are not - closing stores and same store sales are flat or down depending on what quarter. They are facing increased competition from online and other retailers. I remember the day when you could go into Walmart and all shelves were stocked. They had some awesome IT infrastructure and made it work for them. But lately they are bare more often than not. A new (less than 2 year old) store is a dismal place to shop. P&G has stated that WM accounts for 14% of their sales. Period- outside of the USA WM is nothing. And those sales would not be affected at all. Bottom line is none of this would ever happen as no exec has the cajones to tell WM to stick it. But someone like P&G could pull it off if they thought long term. Simple as launching a full on assault on WM to get those shoppers into the aisles of the competitors! Something like full page ads "Walmart dropped us so we now have BOGO (Buy One Get One Free) everywhere else for the next month. It would cost but would get people into the competitors and long term would be better for them. I'm sure Target, grocery stores would love the chance to get those customers in the door.
    ...See More

Revisited a favorite store on visit to hometown

Q

Comments (12)
    Felt the same way, in the last few years, about the antique and "junk" stores I used to love to frequent. Until...my daughters started furnishing their own homes. Have found some recent bargains for them both. One particular bargain was a nice, big and round, Regency looking coffee table...solid wood...for a mear $45. In near perfect condition and had the original brass wheels. It made DD and SIL's living room! Goes well with their low couch and wide upholstered chair left by the former owner of their new house. :) Such a great bargain that I did not even haggle. That's the name of the shop. Now anytime DD needs something, we look at the "old" before the new. Been there for over 40-50 years. I have several items of furniture and accessories from the store. It's funny, though. I still see some of the same items that I did back when I shopped 25+ years ago.
    ...See More
  • gneegirl
    15 years ago

Stargazzer - are ya sharing!! Boy those sound good - even at this time of the morning!

Typing with 2 hands - I'm smiling! Sounds like your shoulder is getting better every day. I was listening to my boss yesterday, talking about his shoulder. He fell, like I did. You were at the tail end of the shoulder injuries, I think. He fell around the same time I did, and along with everyone else I know who had shoulder problems!! Maybe they should look into how to better protect shoulders. For something so small in comparison, they sure can turn you upside down when injured!! Best wishes for continued recovery!!

Eloise - just thought of something funny... When I was in HS, my nickname was "figleaf"!! PLEASE, don't ask me where that one came from. I was thinking of a name the other day for a login or something, and I suddenly remembered that. I can even remember the what the design of it on paper!! This weekend is supposed to be beautiful. I'm going to try to get some cuttings from my neighbors tree so I can have my own fig leaves!!

Hope everyone is doing well!

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Good morning all! I got up late today, and although I was wide awake, I made myself stay in bed until 6 AM, LOL! I don't know how one is supposed to get 8 hours of sleep or more when you automatically wake up earlier.

Stargazzer, sounds like you are on the mend and that is good news! Pecan Fudge Caramel Sundaes sounds yummmy, and just like gng said "even at this time of the morning!"

gng, that's a great name "figleaf" and I won't ask, LOL! But, come summer, you might be able to make a bikini out of you very own fig leaves :-)

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Which Summer, Eloise??!!! It won't be this one, for sure, as I'm ROTFLMAO!!!! Then again...

Hope you enjoy your day. It was beautiful here this afternoon. I'll have the windows open tomorrow. It must have been nice. I saw people walking around with not much more than a figleaf on. It was in the 70s.

• satine_gw
    15 years ago

Hi all. Hope everyone had a great weekend. The weather here was beautiful and I spent most of Saturday in Ellicott City where there are tons of antique shops and little gift shops. Didn't buy much but found some beautiful old hankies which I collect and I just had to buy a couple of them. Sunday went shopping with my daughter and finally found a new comforter for my bed. Really really tired of my old one! Now if I can just get my room clean enough to warrant putting the new bedding on I'll be a happy camper. Take care. Satine

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Yeah Satine, it was beautiful outside this weekend,and TODAY, when I had to be at work. I strolled outside a few times today - the sky was glistening!! Saturday, I went apartment hunting with my sister and then she and another friend and I went to nice little Carribean restaurant - it was sooooo good. There was so much food that I ended up with three meals out of it. I know the feeling about an old comforter. I can't seem to find one that catches my fancy. I bet you'll get that room cleaned up now. New stuff always works for me. glad you had a good time.

gneegirl

• livinup
    15 years ago

Hello - I just found this site and love the idea of the Coffee Shoppe. I retired early last year at 62 and after 7 yrs as a widow feel I am doing pretty well. But, now and then when the lonely feeling hits, now I have some friends I can visit with, no matter what time it is. You all sound like great folks to share my coffee with. I am off to a day of Master Gardener class through our county extension office but look foward to visiting with you tomorrow.

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Welcome livinup! Yep, this is a great Forum. You said Master Gardener - another one I can be jealous of. There are a few pretty good gardeners here too. What area are you in, if you don't mind?

Hope you stay awhile!

gneegirl

• livinup
    15 years ago

Hello to all-today was busy-my grandson comes 4 mornings this week before his pre-kindergarten class. I really like him to be here but when he leaves I kind of sit and rest for a while before moving on to my things, as you other grandmas understand. I am in Illinois and we are just starting to get a peek at decent weather. Flower bulbs are up and some green is showing here and there. Thats what I need after all the days with no sunshine. We learned about vegetable gardening in the MG class this week - If I grow spinach and broccoli guess I will have to substitute greens for the doughnuts I really liked to eat during winter.
    Hope everyone continues to heal up as Spring comes, I always think I am a lot healthier in the sunny months.
    I am supposed to be working on some quilt blocks but got carried away with a mystery book by Clive Cussler so now I am way behind.
    I was trying to review all the posts and realized what really caught my eye at first...all the food talk.
    One of my kids from Arizona called last night and that really put me in a good mood. I don't want to go back in time but just to the part where we saw each other more.
    LivinUp

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

OK livinup - you named a couple of my favorite place; AZ an IL. CA is my all time favorite but either way, I would love to be off this east coast. I spent about a year just north of Chicago and fell in love with the place. Nothing special, so I don't know why 'cause it's COLD. I never though I woulb e attracted to a cactus until I flew in to the Phoenix airport and saw them all over the place - and the mountains!!

I'm not a grandma but my sis has 4 grans. They are truly special. It's fun to watch her with them. One is a brand new little girl!

Here's a thought - maybe you could make spinach donuts - LOL!!

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Good Morning all, It's been cloudy, damp and cold here in Kansas. I like the sun to shine because it is solar heat for the living area of my home, it's nice to stretch out in the recliner by the window and soak up the heat and sunshine. I am doing better emotionally and physically. The last four months have been an emotional roller coaster ride for me. I am using my left arm and hand as much as I can without putting to much pressure on it. I don't lift or push with it.

I love every part of our country except Kansas, it's so flat and boring. LOL I guess everyone wants what they don't have. I have 3 trips planned this year. Next month a 3 day trip to Branson, don't usually like "shows" but am looking forward to seeing The Oak Ridge Boys this time and riding on the tram through the dogwoods. In May will take a bus tour to Chicago, have dinner on a boat and see the skyline of the city at night. Looking forward to that also. In August I fly to Europe, board a Princess ship and tour the British Isles and Iceland. So I have something to look forward to for awhile.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

It's hard to try and catch up with all the different posts when you aren't able to log on each day.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. Yesterday, I got to go to the annual fashion show that my DD's job puts on every year. It was great, had wonderful food and I only spent half of what I did from last year on the silent auction, LOL! The day was pretty much overcasted all day, but since we were inside at the hotel, it didn't matter. I'm hoping the sun shines today so I can be outside doing some yard work after church.

• Gerry1117
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Sunday afternoon, all,

Must be rainy/dreary nationwide this morning. Eloise says her skies in CA are overcast, just had an email from my friend up in the mountains and it is raining at his place, it's raining at my sister's home up in N.C., and it is also raining here near the eastern coast of SC. Heavy rains predicted for rest of today as well as tomorrow. Oh, well, I love a rainy day....

Five days and counting until the lst day of spring. Already in this area the azaleas, dogwoods, Bradford Pears, are beginning to bloom. Daffodils and forsythia have been blooming for a while already. Cool, then warm - rainy then sunshiny - the days seem to be taking turns doing their thing. Just hope it doesn't turn COLD again.

DD and her hubby's visit from Davis, CA, was much too brief - though a much longer stay than usual. They have just under 17 months left to go before returning for good. They are really looking forward to getting their lives settled and a family started.

Just finished decorating a half bath in a beach theme. The walls are sand colored, floor is wood. I used a small sisal area rug on the floor in front of the vanity. I managed to find an arrangement of sea grasses and sea oats, artificial but quite real looking, hung a painting of a beach scene with sand dollars, starfish, other shells, with just an edge of the ocean visible. In the corner I put a sweetgrass basket filled with sea shells I have collected over the years. On the vanity I put a french vanilla pillar candle in a large abalone shell (more for the creamy color than the actual scent). I have pale peach hand towels hanging, but since guests tend to be reluctant to use them, I added a wood stand-up paper towel holder and put on a roll of paper towels with a border of sea shells on it. The peach towels pick up the peach tones in the painting and on the inside of some of the conch shells in the basket. It has turned out very beachy - and peachy!! Am very pleased with the end result.

eloise, I read your tips in an earlier post about rooting figs so am trying to do some. Have some cuttings in pots, but also put three in a spot where I would love to have a fig tree, so if they root where they are I'm a bit ahead of the game.

Does anyone here decorate for St. Patrick's Day? I've done a little - in the living room I have a couple of leprechauns (sp?) sitting on a table by a shiny brass pot filled with flat chocolate mints wrapped in gold foil. Strung some green Christmas lights in a tall floor plant. On the dining table I have a bowl of daisies flanked with green candles, and have green place mats and napkins. I also cut some large shamrocks from green poster board and have three of them on my refrigerator door and smaller ones stuck to the glass in the back door.

I was up rather early this morning. Now, with it being a lazy Sunday and with the rain pattering against the windows, I may decide to snooze a while.

Hope everyone has a HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY.

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Hey the sun finally came out and my WW says it's 59 outside. I have been watching Stargate most of the day, time for a change. I just bought the pilot of Stargate Atlantis. Should be watching it. Have a nice day all.

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Somebody send some of that sun over here, please. It's been raining and dreary looking all day, but not as cold as I thought it would be. I had to run lots of errands today and didn't bother to put on a jacket to get out of the car (until the rain started getting pretty heavy).

I was at the BB&B today and wouldn't you know it, I suckered up and bought something that was staged at the check-out counter - that Sliders hamburger cooker. It makes the teeniest burgers, but is pretty neat. Martin's Potato Bread company makes buns just the perfect size. They remind me of the White Castle hamburger eating contests that my Uncle would start between all of the cousins when we visited them in NY, as kids. It's really a waist of money, but great if you have little ones around - no wasting meat or burger buns.

Ran into the HR rep from my last job, today. She and I became friendly while I was there - even though no one likes her. She was the one that had to be present when they let me go. I really felt badly for her because she knew they were wrong but couldn't do anything about it. I had just left her office when they did it, and I know she knew then. In five minutes we went from happpy, laughing at stupid stuff, to her having to deliver the ugly news. She lives close by so we'll probably get together to do stuff - movies, lunch/dinner, shopping, girl-stuff. I'm happy about that because there aren't a lot of people my age here and company is good sometime. Besides, my semi SO and I just ended our relationship, so i'll have a shoulder with kleenex.

Gerry / Eloise - good to hear from you 2! I haven't had an opportunity to get over to my neighbors yard yet, so I haven't started by fig tree yet. Maybe this week I'll get a chance. I'll be so excited if it works!

Stargazzer - I've never been into that type of movie/show, but I've noticed lately that the interest is growing. I'll have to check it out - saw it on last night, but flipped right on by.

Nite All!

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

I have never really gotten into a television show like some women do soaps, but I got into this series. It is so new and refreshing from normal TV. When one of the main actors quit I actually got mad at him. LOL I have all 10 seasons, the first movie starring Kurt Russel and the two follow up movies after the series was canceled. If you can find and watch Kurt Russel's Stargate first, then the first season it will make a lot more sense. Richard Dean Anderson is the star in the series. It's call Stargate SG 1. I highly recommend it. It was all shot in Vancouver and the surrounding area. If you buy or rent one be sure to check out the "special features" on the CD.

• satine_gw
    15 years ago

Ok, so what is going on with everyone? There haven't been any new posts for a while. Not much new with me-just going to work and heading home. I did babysit last night for my two granddaughters. That is always fun. Picked them up from afterschool care and went to the library where the youngest one had a scout meeting and the oldest one spent time on the computer. I had a full hour to just relax and read a good book I'm really into. What is everyone else up to? Satine

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

The same as usual here, therapy, lunch and shopping, therapy, lunch and shopping. LOL I had an evaluation yesterday, improved over all, some as much as 31%. Don't know what to believe, they really push when they take measurements. Seems like they want a good report card. I have lost a lot of respect in the medical care in the last 10 years. This is laundry day, time out for lunch at Freddie's. My house cleaner came over yesterday and I had him just do the floors because I don't like the chemicals he uses on other surfaces. I had a runny nose for 3 weeks after he cleaned last month. Have a nice day all.

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Wanted to add to my post. I ordered a turtle sundae at Freddie's after I had eaten my burger and the guy in charge didn't charge for it. I asked why and he said his Mom bought him ice cream when he broke his arm and he wanted to do it for me. I have met a lot of nice people during this time. You only hear the bad stuff about people on the news and in the paper it's nice to see most are very nice. It really gives you an emotional lift when someone does something nice like that.

• satine_gw
    15 years ago

Stargazzer, I read your post and just had to say ahhhhh how sweet of that fellow. MMMM burger and a sundae sound good to me. So, what is Freddie's? When I want a good burger and really really good fries I go to Five Guys but they don't have ice cream so sounds like Freddie's might be the place to go! I have a friend going through physical therapy after shoulder surgery and she is just about disgusted with it. Poor thing just wants to be all better and Im sure you can understand that. Take care. Satine

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Freddys Frozen Custard is a hamburger place. They are made fresh, no warmers and they are steak burgers, very thin patties so I order the double. You forget what a hamburger is suppose to tastes like after years of Burger King, McD's and Wendys. I have one once a week so I don't get tired of a good thing. They open at 10:30 AM which is a plus for me because the days I eat lunch out I don't eat breakfast. We don't have a Five guys here.

I am not disgusted with the therapy as much as going through this kind of thing without some counseling about what to expect, what's normal, what needs the doctor's attention. Same thing when I had surgery years ago. No one in my family had surgery so I had no idea what to expect and I am not one of these people who just lays back and let them do what they want with my body. I want to know what and why. As I said before the emotional roller coaster ride is worse than the pain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freddys

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!!

Yes, it has been a little quiet around here. OK, I want to go to Freddy's!! I'm not a burger person, but when they are FRESH and juicy, I'm a real fan - just add the Bleu and Cheddar!!

Med industry - I'm with you. I LOVE my Dr., but I've been suffering with sinus and ear infections over the past 4-5 years. I was referred to an ENT, and then lost job so couldn't follow up. My PCP is stingy on the antibiotics, and I know why. But, when I need them, I need them. I had an appt with the ENT this week. I have a very bad sinus infection and also ear infection. That is so bad, they are sending me for hearing test!! I wish my Dr. would have been a little more willing to part from the norm because I've been suffering so much. Much of my ranting and pity-partying here has been a result of not feeling good, or being able to deal with things because I was was feeling so badly. The problem - now that I'm on meds, I feel a billion times better, BUT, the darn meds cost over $300! My diabetes meds are almost $600 for 90 days. The insurance with my new job carries a $1200 deductible - YIKES!! I had to borrow to get just the one. Think we need to revamp the entire med/drug/geriactric/special needs policies.

OK - I'm off my soapbox. There are others with worse problems.

Nothing much going on here except that it's so windy and cold for the 1st day of Spring. It's supposed to be relatively nice for the weekend, so I might be able to venture over to the outer corner of my yard, to "steal" a few branches on that fig tree. I want to try that method that Eloise mentioned. Wish me luck!!

Hope all others are doing well. Will check back later. Oh, BTW, it's nice to see a few posts again!

gneegirl

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

It's slipping down here and we don't want that. It's a beautiful day here in the Midwest. It's nice driving or walking down our street and seeing people out working in their yard. It was 65 when I went for my walk this afternoon. I cleaned the garage floor and the sweeping was difficult so I got out the garden hose and hosed it. I think I will find a stool to sit on and cut my variegated ornamental (12") grass tomorrow if it is still nice out. I can do that without using force. The therapist told me I need to use my left arm. I have to remind myself to use it after 4 months in a sling and protecting it. I am watching journey to the center of the earth with Treat Williams and it ended without finishing so I have to put in the other movie DVD, I hope it's on there. It was a two movies in the package.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Time just flys! Hope all are doing great, and ready for the weekend.

I am going to try to get to Descanso Garden on Saturday for their plant sale. First, I need to mow the lawn! I had to take the mower in for service and also a cable was breaking. With the rains we had before, dandelions just sprouted all over the lawn so I really need to mow them down. Yesterday, I did pull some up, but I prefer to just mow them to keep them from flowering and reseeding. I had a call that the mower was ready so I'll pick it up tomorrow afternoon. How exciting, NOT!!!

Gerry and gng, I hope you both succeed in starting your own fig tree. A couple of days ago, I planted one in a big redwood planter box. I might try to espalier it. I would have loved to have it in the ground, but gophers love fig tree roots, and I have gophers!

We've had some great weather, but the last two days, we have been getting high winds.

Stargazzer, I've watched Stargate probably twice with Richard Dean Anderson. I did enjoy the episodes, but there must have been something else on at that time that I preferred so only watched a couple of times. What I really try not to miss is when Prison Break and Lost are on!!!

A fantastic weekend to all!

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Sorry guys, no luck on the fig tree yet, for me. Can't quite get to it yet. I think it was cut back some. The electric company around here has been in a lot of hit water for the power outages because they haven't maintained their lines. I they they have been in the back yards. I have a transformer in my backyard by the fig tree. I'm sure they had to cut some of that. I'll keep trying. Funny, QVC just had one on, over the weekend, I think. I almost bought it, but thought x2 - why should I pay when I can get it for free...hmmm. We'll see what happens.

Not much going on here except it's been cloudy and rainy today. That will last through the weekend so they say. We need the rain but not on the weekend folks - please. My house looks pretty rough since my yard really needs attention. Then again, so does everyone else's on my block.

I had some interesting news yesterday. I had been turned down twice on a job I applied for last Fall. They called yesterday to ask if I was still interested. Of course not - the Director is a you-know-what. BUT, I've been thinking about looking for another job. I started my current job in December and really don't want to change. But I need better bennies - especially health insurance. The other job isn't as much money, but enough. They pay for all benefits, which are far better than what I have. Plus they are a little more structured for what I do. It's been a little bit of a struggle at my current job, with having no structure, and most times, nothing to do. There's plenty of work, but the owners operate like a mom/pop, and are very slow to update. Simple things like direct-deposit are way over the top for them. Around here, it's almost a no-brainer. I haven't got to the bank to deposit a check in more than ten years. So, we'll see. I'm supposed to their offer tomorrow. I won't count my chickens just yet, and of course will think very hard about the switch.

Eloise, when you finish cutting yours will you head East to do mine too? I need to get a lawn mower since both of mine are broken. The guy that has been cutting mine will probably start soon, He is such a great guy and continued to come even when I couldn't pay him after I lost my job. He comes regularly, which is tough to get around here, and it pretty cheap. Since I'm still trying to catch up and get my savings back though, I might get a new mower and start cutting the yard myself - at least for a while. Besides, I need the exercise.

Hope everyone is doing OK. Nite, all!

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Eloise, I think you can kill gophers with pellets. Moles won't eat it.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Greetings all. I have a couple of minutes.

Yesterday they called that the mower was ready. Today I stopped after leaving my DD's home and they said it wasn't ready, that the engine blew!!!! They ordered one so it will be another week, rats, I was all ready to start mowing today! I talked to the owner (the wife) about recommending a gardener and she said she had a good one, we'll see how much he charges. gng, on my way to mow your lawn, LOL!

Stargazzer, previously my SIL tried the pellets, but they don't work that well. To me, the best is trapping them, which kills them, but I haven't taken the time to set the trap. The nursery by my house said to leave the dead gopher in the tunnel and cover it. They said this deters other gophers. In the past when I trapped, I always discarded the gophers in a bag and put in the trash.

I need to find something for dinner. I had it all planned out that I would pick up the mower, stop by Panda Express and eat, change clothes and mow. Since the mower wasn't ready, I didn't stop at Panda, but instead came home and got some Rocky Road ice cream :-) until I get some dinner, LOL!

gng, if you like the job and they pay you well, never not consider a position because the owner/manager/director is a "b". It depends on how secure you are about yourself and your abilities. I took a position for more $$ knowing the big boss was a total nut (tyrant). Everyone talked about them, but do you know that because I knew my job well, was hardworking, did not let others step on me, never allowed anyone to disrespect me, and saw myself an equal to others, that boss and I got along just great at the end. Sure we went a couple of rounds several times, and when the boss realized I could not be intimidated like most were there, things worked out. I even got paid some great overtime when everyone else said it was not allowed. After that boss, I had a couple others that came into that position, but at the end, it worked out for me. Once, a new manager came in that immediately I knew we would not get along. She told me "I like having my way" to which I said "that's funny, so do I!" Anyway, she ended up leaving. I have great respect for those that are hardworking and earn their keep. Anything less than that is not acceptable, and please believe me, there were lots that spend their entire day figuring out how to not work! Thank God I am now retired, LOL!

A great weekend all!

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

bye, bye coffee shop. I guess I'll have to go to Quick Trip to get my cherry cappuccino.

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Eloise - thanks, my yard looks wonderful - LOL!

Stargazzer, where are ya going? Did I miss something. Hope you are doing OK!!

We had a BEAUTIFUL Sunday afternoon. I know up in Satine's way, it changed to bad weather again, but it stayed pretty nice where I am. I'm probably about 20 - 30 mi away. The wind was something else though. I was almost blown away this morning while walking from my car into my building at work. When I came home my neighbor yelled out that I would need sun glasses if I wanted to go into my backyard. The electric company was here today - they hacked a bunch of trees - all in my neighbor's yard, but hanging mostly in my yard. Now the transformer sticks out like a red sore thumb in my yard. In doing that, they really cut back the fig tree, and I can't even stretch enough to reach it. I'm going to ask my neighbor if he would cut a piece for me. My yard really does look naked without the trees. I'm a little PO'd, but it doesn't look as bad as some I've seen after they've been there. Oh well, maybe I can grow grass now instead of moss!

Eloise - thank you so much for the peck talk about my job. I have not heard from the other company. Right now, I'm glad about that. Each day is a different day where I am now. Today was a good day. I think my boss realized that something I had been talking about since I've been there, was really true, and I did know what I was talking about. He actually made an attempt to let me know that he didn't think his confidant was not quite right in his thinking. I didn't say anything - just remained neutral. We'll see how things go tomorrow.

Nite all...

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

gneegirl, Just joking around about the "coffee shoppe". Since it was slipping I thought I would have to go to the convenience store to get my cappuccino fix instead of at Ye Olde Coffee Shoppe.

• satine_gw
    15 years ago

Good morning everyone. I was away for the weekend and didn't get back until last night. I had a good time at my sister's house and really feel like I've had a mini vacation. We shopped and ate and shopped and ate some more. We talked alot! When I got home last night my youngest daughter took me to dinner at Panera's so I didn't have to face reality until this morning. Hope everyone had a good weekend. I have some flowers bloomed in the little bed in front of my house so I am feeling like spring is here. Hope everyone is well. Satine

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

That sounds like my day, shopped and ate. Only I do it alone.

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Hi all!

Stargazzer - I thought that's what you meant, but you scared me. You can't leave us! Then I thought you were talking about your shoulder, and thought I missed some treatment you were going to have. No worries though. Glad you are still here!!

Satine - thought about you all weekend, and hoped you were enjoying your trip. I'm so happy you enjoyed your "VAC"!

What a day for me! I knew I was going to need to have some work done on my car, but was holding off as long as I could since I've been trying to recoup from not having a job. WELL (as the saying goes), as I was driving to work, I kept hearing a rattling as I was driving, and especially when I pulled off - say from a light. Because my ex had been looking at some things that needed fixing before, I knew it was my brakes. As the day went on, I knew I didn't have a choice - I was going to have to get new ones this weekend. Turns out, it had to be TODAY! My sister knows a mechanic that works at GY, that had done some work on my other car (she drives that one). He put brakes on my car a few years ago, and he's very good. I called my ex to see if he was home (not trucking on the road), and luckily he was. In his past life - and this one too, I guess, he was a mechanic, also having worked at GY. He told me that he was working on the truck, and to call the other mechanic. That guy actually came out to my job, picked me up to purchase the parts and came back to the job and put on the brakes - both sides, right there in the parking lot. It only took him about 40 minutes! What a great guy. He did tell me that I needed rear brakes too, but will put them on in about 2 weeks. He also told me that the power steering pump problem I had been having was because of the hose - it was bad and releasing or adding (don't ask me, that's why I pay them)pressure. The noise was awful. Not I don't have to replace it - just the hose. With all that happening (took all day to arrange), my boss decided he wanted to be in charge today - unlike his niceness from yesterday. I've been trying to nicely add professional opinion to prevent problems down the road. I thought that's why they hired me. Guess I was wrong. He is so rude when he wants to be the one calling the shots - even when he's wrong. Don't get me wrong. I have the GREATEST respect for his knowledge. But he can be very ugly when he wants to have his own way, even when he's wrong. So all of that going on today, has really made me tired. But, I do feel better that I have good brakes. Plus, to top it off, my sister found a job, and starts work this weekend. It's been a real struggle for her as a skin care specialist, especially with the downed econoly. Now she will be managing a spa, instead of a provider. Mo money, mo money, mo money! She has an autoimmune disease and needs health insurance. After 10 years, she will finally have it - YIPPEE!!!

Anyway, I've said e-nuf here. Hope everyone has a great night!! Be careful with that stupid computer worm tomorrow!

gneegirl

• satine_gw
    15 years ago

Stargazzer and gnee, good to hear from both of you. Stargazzer if you lived nearby you would be welcome to join us shopping and eating and gabbing any time. Gnee, sounds like you had one he!! of a day. Doesn't it seem like everything comes at once not giving us a chance to catch our breath. Hopefully your car will be good for a while and your boss-well-sometime people are just jerks. Im glad you (and I) have a job right now even if not a dream job. We just got an email from our ceo telling us that since 40% of the companies in the same field as ours (network systems) aren't giving raises we're not getting them either. I did notice he only mentioned raises and not bonuses which I know did go out in January. As the old saying goes the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. I guess I'll just have to tightent the belt a bit more or maybe find a little part time job to help out. Hope everyone has a good day. Satine

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Thanks Satine, When we bought this new home, I made friends with some of the new owners, but couldn't go places with them because my husband had Alzheimer's. After he went into a home, I started socializing with my neighbors. After a year or two, I backed away. I have a tendency to put everyone else first so after awhile I was eating where they wanted, going places with them I didn't want to go, etc., so I backed off and am enjoying being by myself and spoiling me. It gets lonely at times, but still preferable to me.

• gneegirl
    14 years ago

Hi all -

Yep, the car rides much better. How the heck did it know that I spent all that money on it yesterday!!

Satine - I hope the job situation remains steady for you. Yes, the rich continue to get more MORE rich. One of the reasons I like where I am is that the boss - the owner is close to everything and seems to babysit us a lot. He likes that, but is getting too busy for it. But, that does mean that he generally cares about us. He is VERY well known and liked by the customers and that helps too. I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon. I did get a call from the other company today. They want to meet on Monday, supposedly so that the jerk that interviewed my last can apologize and he and I can start from scratch. It won't be an interview because the job is mine if I want it. Not sure what I'll do yet. They are only a couple of blocks away from where I am now, and that makes it more difficult to deal with - there is no real discriminator. We'll see.

Stargazzer - I know what you mean about doing everything everyone else wants. I have many friends that are upset because I don't stay in touch. My reason doesn't have anything to do with them per se; it's just that so much has been going on. But, when we were closer, whenever I ask to do something, I, or it was too far. That said, one friend that always does this, has always been soooper supportive and has done so much for me. But, that control thing is a bit much.

Hey guys - got an idea. Maybe we can cyber-shop together!

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

stargazzer, is there such a thing as cherry cappuccino? Sounds delicious! O.k. you mentioned about the olde coffee shoppe going away/slipping. We can keep posting up to about 150 post so we have a little more to go before: it either goes away because we've reached the limit or we start another post!

gng, I am glad you liked the way I mowed your lawn, LOL! Whoa, cyber-shopping is dangerous! We did that on ebay over at the Brug forum, and we all had like three windows on our computers opened: ebay, our email and the Brug forum. We kept telling each other what we were bidding for so the other members wouldn't bid against us. Several of us were drinking either beer or wine while we waited on whether or not we got what we bidded for. It was like a party, very energizing and a lot of fun. After that, ebay changed the way they display the names of the people bidding, LOL! BTW, good luck with whatever you decided re. jobs.

satine, your mini-vacation sounds wonderful, and I am glad you had some flowers blooming!

Let's see, I did hire a guy to come mow the lawn twice a month, which he will start this month. However, last month, he wanted to do a thorough clean-up which I agreed. He said he would trim everything nicely. When I got home, I was saddened as I went around the front and back yards where some of my bulbs and other plants that were sprouting were cut down :-( The yards look so 'clean' but I really like the jungle-look. I know those plants will grow again, but I might not see them bloom this season. I assumed when he said he would trim everything nicely, that he was talking about trees/shrubs.

You all have a wonderful week.

• stargazzer
    14 years ago

A convenience store here has the best cappuccinos in town and they had a banana and a cherry. The cherry one has a caffeine warning on it. I thought all cappuccinos had coffee in them until I saw that. Most cappuccinos are to sweet for me so I add an inch of coffee.

about the coffee shop slipping away. I just meant no one is posting and it is slipping out of site. Just teasing about it.

• gneegirl
    14 years ago

OK, I'm bringing this one back to the top. Hoping some of the group will at least check in to say Hi. One I know, and hope is OK, is Eloise. Sorry to call you out, but you are missed here. We both know it has been a little sparse, and the topics have been ho-hum, but check in to let me know you are OK.

Everyone else - grab a cup and have a seat!!

gneegirl

• satine_gw
    14 years ago

Hi everyone. Not much new with me. I have been working and then heading home to veg out. Im in a real slump and can't seem to get myself out of it. Things are really slow at work and I guess that is part of the problem-too much time with nothing to do. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and hope everyone is doing well. Satine

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Hi!!!! Sorry about that gng, time has just been getting away from me. I have been going out more with friends and so that means less time on the computer, LOL!

Been out in the yard this morning, and decided to check in here. I 'repotted' two small water gardens into one larger one. The water kept disappearing and I assume it's birds, my one hen and a raccoon. This one pot is a bit taller so maybe that will help. I had planned on going to a class near the nursery by my house, but then decided not to only because if not, I don't get anything done here.

Well I'm off to get lunch. Have a great weekend all!

• gneegirl
    14 years ago

Hi there Eloise!! Good to hear you are still around, but even better to hear that you are enjoying what we all should be doing - getting out, being with our friends and staying off this darn computer. Check in every once in a while - just to let us know you are doing. BTW, a hen???

Not much going on here - too rainy. I finally couln't stand being in the house any longer today, so I took my little doggie for a ride. Believe it or now, I went to a few garden shops and walked around in the rain. I wasn't the only crazy one though. There were a lot of people doing the same thing - they even bought stuff. I saw some things - shrubs and green plantings, that were very reasonably priced for this area. I'm still in the dream stage of what I want to do for landscaping. The electric company here - I think I mentioned it before, has been whacking down trees because of horrible power outages. They have been mandated to do this, and were even being investigated for large scale and lengthy outages. I guess the revenge is to cut down everything in sight, and with the least amount of care/concern. I now have a VERY hot and sunny yard - even in places where I had some beautiful perrenials that require shade. Oh well, I like doing this stuff - just not re-spending for areas that I thought were OK.

The only other thing - I think I've decide to have my thyroid removed. It is bugging the heck out of me and all of my Drs. have said it should be removed. Not sure I'm OK with that just yet, but the surgery is scheduled for June 10th. We'll see if I keep that appt!!

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Greetings all. Hope all moms had a fantastic day yesterday -- I did!

gng, yes I have one chicken in my backyard. She is an Americana and lays beautiful light green/blue eggs! I used to have more, but throughout the years either they died naturally or raccoons got them. I'm now using the area that was their coop to house some of my shade plants. My 'Chicky' roams free in the backyard, and in the evening goes into the garage where I have a big parrot cage. She is safe there from raccoons. BTW, what kind of symptoms are there with the thyroid? Hope you don't need to have it, or anything else, removed.

Getting ready to meet some friends at a park so we can do some form of exercise, LOL! Hope the mosquitoes don't attack me.

• gneegirl
    14 years ago

Eloise - sorry, just seeing this message. That's interesting, about your little chik-a-dee. I used to live in an area that was farmland turned to more suburban life. But there sure were a lot of barnyard animals - and Bambi's babies. It was fun, except for the rooster that crowed at my daughter's bedroom window at 4:30 every morning. My sister and I had Easter chicks that didn't make it very long in life. My ex was raised on a farm in GA, and of course they had chickens. We drove down for a funeral and his wonderful aunt fried chicken for us to take on the 14hr trip home. I would not eat it because I thought it was made with one of the chickens from her yard! It wasn't, but it was a long time before I could eat chicken.

Thyroid - well, yep, it needs to go. I'm not sure of the urgency, which is why the docs are urging me to remove it. They can't tell with one nodule whether it is cancerous because it is so large, and the biopsy could yield some false negative. We'll see. I'm not convinced yet - there is an entire lifestyle change once its removed. More to follow...

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Hope everyone is enjoying this 3-day weekend for Memorial Day! Planning on gardening tomorrow, but today after church, we are going to a restaurant by the beach!

Thanking all the families, and veterans for their sacrifice and service. God bless.

gng, that's funny about your ex's aunt having fried chicken and you connected it to the chickens in her yard, LOL! Wishing you a remedy for your thyroid issue.

• gneegirl
    14 years ago

Hi Eloise - thank you for your kind thoughts. That day is getting close and now I'm getting cold feet. The pre-op is thursday so we'll see. If I can find another way, I'm all for it.

Lunch by the beach sounds great to me, especially when the family gets together. I planned to do so much this weekend, but I tell you, when the sun is out, I'm outside -planting, rearranging and docorating my yard. Now I don't feel like doing what I was supposed to do inside. It was a good weekend though - I was and the Mall and ran into some friends I hadn't seen in about 3 years. As we were talking, a relative of theirs, and her family walked up to us. I hadn't seem my friend's daughter since she was a baby - she is now 13, and shopping for a dress for her 8th grade dance!! That made for such a special day - and weekend.

This is really a family holiday - many share it with family as the beginning of summer (end of winter) and many truly spend it memoralizing our current and fallen heroes of the Military. It's something that you think about but when you really connect the dots, we do owe our soldiers, past and present a heavy debt of gratitude. As we read about the many civil wars and blood baths in other countries, and also remember "9/11", we have to feel pretty special, and it's because of our men and women who lay it all out there for our freedoms. A heartfelt "THANK YOU" to those of you that think I'm special enough to fight for my freedom and that of those I love.

• satine_gw
    14 years ago

Good morning everyone. Glad everyone had a good weekend. I haven't been around lately so Im going to be busy catching up with what everyone is doing. I had a good weekend with dinner out with friends Saturday, dinner out with my daughter Sunday and a cookout at my oldest daughter's on Monday. Gee, seems like all I did was eat! I did also get to church, buy and plant some flowers and do a little cleaning. All in all a good weekend. Im going to catch up now. Satine

• gneegirl
    14 years ago

Hi everyone - just checking in to this v-e-r-y s-l-o-w sight. I know, I'm "guilty" too. I've been watching but not posting. Hope all are doing well and enjoying Sping and having fun outside.

FYI - I think I've mentioned that I needed to have my thyroid removed. Well...; I'm scheduled for Wednesday of this week. I think I've accepted it, but still a little nervous. Hopefully I'll begin feeling better after the surgery. I'll keep you guys posted. If you don't hear from me in the next few days, it's probably because I won't be near the internet. Wish me luck, and please include me, the Dr. and the support staff, in your prayers.

See ya on the flip side!!

gneegirl

• gneegirl
    14 years ago

OK - where is everyone. My voice is almost back so I can shout now. Good to be back on the mend. Wish we had some rain though - not fun looking at wheat in my front yard.

How are you all doing?

gneegirl

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor