Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Website for Single Life articles

Posted by mariaocean (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 18, 08 at 10:20

http://singleedition.com/

Someone posted an article on another single women message board, that had just come out on 12-31-07, about single people OK with their single status, and this link to this website was included in the article. Nice site that just came into being in 11-07 or 12-07. You can get on the e-mailing list for their newsletter. I just received my book "Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant" having ordered it after seeing it mentioned in the Single Edition newsletter.

I kind of wonder if a site like this isn't going to make it? Seems that the majority of anything for "singles" is the assumption that if you are single, you must be unhappy about it and eager to couple up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/31/business/media/31single.html?_r=1&em&ex=1199422800&en=c1dc1811fb2105bd&ei=5087%0A&oref=slogin

By the way, this is the link to the article that contained the mention of the Single Edition website.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Website for Single Life articles

Good link, thanks for sharing it, maria. What I find attractive about "our" site is that anyone is welcome and (so far) there is no spam from dating sites...If I want to date, I know pretty much what to do...if I have questions about dating, there are people here that will give advice. If I have a bad day and don't have anyone else to tell it to, I can vent here. I consider everyone that I have rapport here, as a friend. Some are closer friends than others, but it doesn't lessen my caring about others thoughts.

o

As nearly as I can tell, there are about the same proportion of unhappy marrieds as singles. Anecdotal and personal, I admit, but that's how it seems to me. "Assumptions" are very frequently mistaken. People have their own lives and they seldom disclose "everything".

o

Hopefully the singles and unhappy marrieds find someone or someplace to be able to talk...holding things in, because they are afraid of what others will think is not a healthy thing either. Not saying it has to be on a web site, just that I have run across a few unhappy people in my day, that tend to isolate themselves.

o
RE: isolation

I've known a few "isolateds" in my day. None of them were anything close to happy. Actually, all of them were strange as hell and becoming more so.

o
most people can't accept change without a fight

Change is hard to accept...whether it's divorce, retirement, or loss of a spouse. My brother has retired recently and I see him isolating himself and I'm trying to help him realize it's not time to shut down. We can all sit here and be proud of what we do for ourselves and sit pat, but what defines us, IMO is what we can do for others to make them feel better about themselves. It doesn't cost money. Just a little of ones time.

o
RE: Bravo

Ditto. Good on ya.

o

Michael, you are the king when it comes to making others feel good about themselves - THANK YOU!

o

Jo, I still recall that afternoon ride where you took me to that store and those girls were so glad to see you...it made their day....it wasn't a big deal for you or I maybe, but it was for them....looking back it was a big deal for me to see it happen.

o

Aaahhhhhhh, shucks - you make me blush - you are so sweet to remember! Hugs, Jo

o

I hope that you still stay in touch with them....it wasn't a "well to do" neighborhood store, just people trying to make do. You do indeed take the time to make a difference in peoples lives and you should be admired. If everyone took the time to make someones day, this world would be a better place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here