Return to the Single Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee Shop VI

Posted by kayjones (plant_lady2@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Jan 19, 08 at 8:47

The last post on the old thread was:

RE: Coffee Shop V - not just for coffee drinkers! clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by eloise_ca (My Page) on Sat, Jan 19, 08 at 8:22

Oh my Jo and Michael, I didn't know both of you were sick as well? I really hope you two will be 100% soon. Knock on wood, so far so good for me considering two of my GKs and SIL had been sick. I have been very fortunate my entire life that I normally don't catch colds and have had the flu only once. Of course, I have other aches and pains.
Michael, you don't have Monday off? Here, most places closed for ML King. We are having a bbq at my DD's.

Jo, I've been meaning to ask, when you move to FL, is your step son going with you?

Saturday, and hopefully I will stay home and do some stuff around here. I get restless and then take off to the stores or nurseries (plants). Most likely it is out of boredom not restlessnes, lol!

I haven't checked my email yet because I don't want to start my day with bad news. My aunt (mom's sister) is in hospice care and mom was going to see her yesterday. My aunt is in her late 80s (bless her), and got cancer about a year ago. My cousins took her to the doctor a week ago with jaundice, and they found out the cancer had spread to her pancreas. I already told mom I would not be coming to AZ when my aunt passes. She knows I can't deal with death/funerals as the pain becomes mine.

Hope everyone else is safe from the bug.

Eloise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee Shop VI....

Eloise, I am sorry to hear about your aunt - cancer is horrid at best, but pancreatic cancer is one of the most painful - that's what Gary died from.

No, Joseph won't move to Florida with me - he will be moving to Waco, Texas to attend Baylor University.

I am feeling better this morning - head is less stuffy, but I feel drained. I will just lay around today and drink lots of fluids and walk on my treadmill.

I shop when I'm bored, too - I think I will come to your house Eloise - I LOVE going to nurseries!!!

o
RE: Coffee Shop VI

It's nice to know I have sick buddies out there. I'm on my third day of the fever, ache-all-over, run to the bathroom quickly thing. And I had a flu shot.

I keep checking in here to read the new posts. Thanks for keeping me company.

I was really hoping I'd feel better today, but so far no...

Oh pooh.

Barbara

o

What is it with all of us? I haven't been around in awhile - a friend mentioned to me that we had a new Coffee Shop thread starting, so thought I would check in to see what was going on. I caught whatever is going around, too!! Fortunately, it only lasted a couple of days and today I am feeling quite fit.

I wasn't stuffy - just had chills,headache, sore throat, and ached all over with a low grade fever. I blamed it on visiting a nursing home recently, but now it looks like I caught it thru the SL forum!! I do hope all of you are feeling much better very soon.

I loafed about town all day today in the steady downpour and really enjoyed myself. Stopped by a different coffee shop than this one - Starbucks - had a vanilla latte and a slice of their pumpkin loaf. It was a great little afternoon snack and kept me out of the cold rain for a while - and it was WARM inside. Why is it that Starbucks is always filled with those YOUNG college kids? I'll take this Coffee Shop any day - much warmer, more welcoming, and the great company of a bunch of "not quite young anymore" kids -and I'll take it with or without the coffee.

Eloise, sorry to hear about your aunt. And I understand when you say you find funeral services traumatic - and which is why I don't intend to have one. If my children go against my wishes I will come back and give them a really hard time.

Jo, you mentioned drinking lots of juice. Have you tried pomegranate juice? Great tasting and so good for you, or so I hear. I have been having a large glass of it at least once a day. It is supposed to much higher in antioxidants than most any other juice.

Now back over to read the latest postings on other threads.

Night, all (hey, that's supposed to read Nytol)

gerry

o

Does anyone know where Gene is? I always enjoyed his ramblings, as he called them.

o

I haven't had pomegranite juice lately - I've been eating papaya like it's going out of style - love it!

I am like you - I have my cremation paid for, I will be buried on top of Gary (my favorite place to be in years past!) and all is ready for when the time comes.

I am an organ donor, so all my kids need to do is call the funeral home and it will all be done by them, no matter where I happen to be when I die.

It is such a relief to have all that done! I wish there was a law that required everyone to have a pre-need plan.

o

And a good chilly Sunday morning to you all,

The temp here this AM is 35 degrees with a wind chill in the 20's. Now, I know that sounds downright warm to some of you who live in colder climates, but for this little spot of the world it's COLD! No sleet or snow last night as had been anticipated - just lots more rain. But any type precipitation is greatly appreciated. Our Santee Lakes are dry as far out as the eye can see. One can see miles of tree stumps, old house foundations, etc. Scavengers descended upon the lake beds searching for artifacts, but I think they have put a stop to that, at least they have posted signs prohibiting it now. Lakes Moultrie and Marion are man-made - hundreds of thousands of farm land flooded, and when I look at those dry lake beds I feel a deep sadness for all those people who lost their homes and had to relocate elsewhere so many years ago.

Jo, I have made plans for my own cremation, too, through our state's Cremation Society, so it doesn't really matter where I am when I die, things will be handled. However, I don't plan to have my ashes buried. I had a very dear Jewish friend who was cremated and her husband said her ashes had to be placed in hallowed ground, so she was buried in a cemetery. As for me, I want to be "Blowin' in the Wind". After all, God walks everywhere they say, so why can't any place beloved by anyone be hallowed? My children may choose their own site, but my preference would be for them to take a party boat out to the middle of Wateree Lake (upstate), take along a few kegs of beer, a few bottles of wine, baskets of picnic foods, and scatter me so that parts of me might float up into some of those secluded little coves that I never got around to fishing when I lived up on that lake. Then they can start their party!! Of course I plan to be around another 31 years, so since my children will be getting kinda old themselves, maybe the grandchildren will do the party thing.

eclair, I suspect Gene is hibernating up in them thar hills. He stopped by a couple of times in the previous Coffee Shop I think.

Barbara, here's hoping today finds you feeling better - also Michael, Eloise, Jo, as well as any others who are not feeling up to par.

As some of you may know, I have been planning to do my Charles Kuralt thing soon. In fact, my "galivanting about the countryside, God only knows where" as my son likes to call it, begins the last day of January. Not going too far on that trip and of course I have to be back home later in February for my DD and SIL's visit from California and my son and granddaughter's birthdays, then I'm off again. Next on my list of things to purchase is a good GPS just so I don't wind up wandering in the wilderness.

Y'all have a great day.

gerry

o

Gerry, you do know that it is technically illegal to scatter ashes, don't you? I have thought about that too - set me free. I just have the cemetery plot because we bought three of them while they were affordable. We paid $300 each when we bought them, and they are now $900 each. If Joseph doesn't want to use the two remaining spaces, he can sell them. It costs $300 to open the grave. It's very expensive to die!

I am feeling really good today - going for a hair cut this afternoon - looking forward to the pampering.

I can't believe it's cold where you are, Gerry - aren't you in southern California?

o

Jo - I live in South Carolina - it's eloise who lives in Southern California. My DD lives in northern California.

It's 25 degrees here this morning (Monday, 7:45AM) with a wind chill of 14 degrees, per my local WeatherBug site.

o

Good morning all,

Well my 14 yo GD was sick yesterday! Hope she doesn't pass it on to the family, and then they will be sick again. Glad everyone is feeling better.

Come on over Jo! Went to the nursery yesterday after church, but really disciplined myself and only got what I went for: sand to put on top of my recently planted brugmansia cuttings, and three small pots. O.k., I did buy one small plant called Epazote. I had never heard of or used this 'herb' before, but on a cooking show, they said to put some in when cooking beans and it takes away the gas -- we'll see, lol!

I have an insurance that will cover my burial expenses so there won't be a burden on my DD. I always said "just do the cheapest way", i.e., cremation, but when I lost my son, I had a great 'need' to be at his grave site daily for a very long time. Now, I've put in my will that I prefer cremation, but my DD can do whatever her 'need' is. I too would want to have my ashes scattered, but mine would be in a beautiful garden! Jo, $300/900, that is cheap! Here it's several thousand dollars to bury inground, don't know about cremation.

Gerry, sounds like you will have a couple of good trips there. I think of you and February when your DD and SIL will be there, and I am happy!

My car is going to the Jeep dealer this morning. I've rented a car for a couple of days.

Cooked some chili beans for today. We are having bbq at my DD's.

I love pomegranates and pomegranate juice. During the summer, I traded for a small starter plant, but of course, it's still to young to bear fruit.

My aunt passed away last night. At least she is no longer suffering. Need to call my mom and see how she is doing.

Keep warm.

o

Oh, Eloise, please accept my sympathy for the loss of your dear Aunt. You are right - there is no consolation for the loss of our loved ones, except that they are no longer in terrible pain.

o

Eloise - I'm so sorry to hear the news about your aunt. But, as we all agree, this is no place to be if you are in pain or are suffering. Hope your Mom is doing OK, considering.

Sending HUGS to you and your family.

gng

o

Eloise, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Even though it is for the better sometimes, it is still not easy to cope with. I'll be thinking of you.

Once again, I am swamped at work....doesn't matter if I take vacation or am sick, seems twice as much work is waiting for me when I go back. I'm starting to envy the guy that pushes out my groceries at the store....at least he only has one cart on his plate at a time and if he gets behind, they call up another guy to push that one.

o

Thanks all. I know my aunt is in a better place. Last time I saw her was in October when we went to AZ for my mom's 80th b.d. party. At that time, you could see that glazed over look on my aunt's eyes. I am thankful that I saw her then.

Michael, isn't that the way it goes when you are a hard, conscientious worker? You take vacation and when you return, you have a backlog. For some reason, no one ever picks up the ball and does some of it, OR if they do, they screw it up royally! Also, because you are able to do more, they will give you more. I am so thankful that I am retired, although sometimes I do miss the hustle and bustle of the job and the full pay!!!!

Yesterday I went to pick up my grandson from school. I'm on the phone with him and he said, "I don't see you". I was right across from him, but he didn't know I had a rented car! It's a little thing, a Kia something, and compared to my Jeep, I feel like I could touch the ground, lol!

Keep warm.

o

Hi Eloise and all..So true about being a hard worker....I had a co-worker give me a "Frank and Ernest" cartoon a few years back...It said "We like the way you handle responsibility "tinmantu"...now we are going to blame something on you."

o

Good evening all,

Michael, one of my friends told me her boss tried to give her extra work because the other employee JUST COULDN'T WORK AS FAST!!! She refused to do the work and slowed down herself.

I know here in southern California we really shouldn't be complaining, but it's cold and has been raining for several days, and we aren't used to that!!! I get a kick when we see someone walking around with just a T-shirt during our winters and assume it's someone visiting from back east, lol! We are such wimps, well at least I am.

Well tomorrow is Friday! Anyone here happy about that? I am and hopefully I can have a restful Saturday.

o

Hi All!

Been away a few days in Detroit area looking after my Dad and Step-Mom. She had a stroke - sometime within the last 15 days. She's OK, as much as can be expected. I won't go into it all since I don't want to bore you all with a book, but what a mess!! My step brother, who lives in Long Beach, came out and we found a place for both my Dad and Step-Mom to live, but only for a month. They both need 24/7 care and cannot be separated for emotional health and wellbeing - put it this way, the Drs. even ordered they not be separated. Problem - no other family members in Michigan that can care for them. So, they will either have to come to my area or to Long Beach. Withoug going into a lot, that's almost another nightmare - they also have a house that they haven't been able to sell for 2 years. My dad is the man that abaondoned me when I was 12 and "adopteed" my stepbrother instead. Now my sister and I are left to help take care of him!! What a mess. Anyone know of a rehab or respite care facility in the Long Beach area - CAUSE THEY AIN'T COMING TO MY HOME!!

OK, sorry for the bad mood, but before I got to the gate at the airport to come home, the nursing home was calling with a problem!! I've had it!!

OK, I'm back to the normal gneegirl - thanks for listening. Hope all are doing OK. I may check on the "caregiver" forums for some advice too.

Take care,

gneegirl...

o

Hi Mary...been wondering about you....the caregiver forum has a lot of people there that have seen almost every experience imaginable....very nice people...I have posted there. I hope things get better for you.

o

Thanks Michael!! I have been home a couple of hours and have had a chance to calm down somewhat. I'm going to check them out, if for no other reason than to put things in proper perspective. There has got to be a better way. As it is, I'm worried sick because I havent' been able to reach my folks - either at the nursing home or at the house. Oh well, they'll call if something is wrong.

Thanks again...

gng

o

gng, so sorry to hear of your troubles. As I've never had to deal with that situation, I can't be of much help to you. All I can tell you is, for your own conscience, do what you can for them even if they don't deserve it. Also, don't take on the entire burden on yourself. Make sure your step brother helps.

God bless you and keep you strong.

o

Good morning, all. Well, it's just as I suspected - people are single (except for death) because they LIKE IT that way!

I went to an event last night, a meet-up of single people between 25 and 60 - what a bunch of dummys! I sat at a table with four other ladies my age (57) and three guys our age. NOT ONCE did they ask anyone to dance! They sat at the table a while, then found their way to the bar, stood there for awhile, came back and sat for awhile - amazing - we were there to meet people and have fun, but everyone was acting like teenagers!

I asked a couple of old guys to dance and they just looked at me like 'who, me' - I said 'forget this' and left after a couple of hours. Part of my problem is that I don't drink, and we all know that guys think they look better than they do and that the girls are all beautiful - after about three drinks.

I know this for SURE: I won't be going to any more 'gatherings' for singles! LOL

o

Jo, I needed your post this morning - made me chuckle. It isn't that funny because we're (you) still stuck at an event where you are supposed to have fun and the most fun is bending the elbow to the lips to take a sip!! What a waste! Maybe you should throw a party and teach them how to really cut a rug!! Best wishes...

Eloise, thanks for your thoughts. So far, I've already had two calls since the one at the airport - one at 2:30 this morning from my step-brother because my dad had a gran mal seizure!! Then this morning the facility called and they don't have the medical authority to change the meds we set up for them - even when the Dr ordered the change!! OK, maybe that makes sense from a medical liabilty standpoint, but I really think this country needs to do a much better job with resources and laws for the elderly and infirm. I am serioudly beginning to look at how my care should be administered if/when I get to that point. I hope my family will not have to go through any of this headache.

See you all..

gng

o

Gnee, do your parents have a legal guardian? If not, they should have one. Is there a durable Power of Attorney in place? If not, there should be one.

I know this is difficult, and if it is not possible for you to take care of their needs, then call the state elderly hotline and they will take over.

o

Thanks Jo. I think my step-brother has the D POA for his mom. She has it for my dad. In order for me to have it, sither she or my step-brother will have to give that to me. My dad's dimentia has already been declared to I can't get it from him, my self - what a complext situation. They have more power than I do as his daughter. I'm not really that bitter about it, but it sure is strange to me. the legal guardianship will probably fall to my step-brother as well - just to keep things simple. Plus, I don't want to have that responsibility since they would eventually have to come stay with/close to me. That would really be tough for me with my job and all. So, if my step-brother wants to handle it, then so be it - it doesn't matter much now anyway since I've never had my dad, or anything else about him around, but the problems anyway. This is one time I'm glad this to be the case - if I feel I have to do something for him now, without a lot of life with him, I can imagine how hard it would be if we had been closer. With my Mom, it was different, and I was willing to do anything for her. So...

Thanks for you info and suggestion though.

gng

o

Mary..Looks like you have gotten some advice on Caregivers site...I hope that they gave you some useful info. My day is coming sooner than I want it to.

o

Hey Jo, I have found the opposite to be true as to why people are single, aside from death. Whenever I am with friends or aquaintances who are single, and the statement "I would never marry again" comes up, I always say that I would if the right man showed up. Then, everyone will agree that they would too. I believe a lot of people would want to have a spouse, it just hasn't/doesn't happen sometimes and so it's easier to say that one is happier being single. Of course, there are some that do love being single.

gng, things are never that simple. I hope your step brother will take care of things for his mom and your dad, and only expect from you what you are willingand able to do.

Michael, we are all heading that way. Hopefully we will all have our financial and other stuff in order, so our loved ones won't have to deal it. My DD has several times said I can come live with them now. I told her that I can still take care of myself, and to keep the offer opened for when I really can't live on my own.

Gerry, Gene, Pris, and everyone else -- hope you are all doing great!

o

I hear you Eloise...I'm working on my own plans, but I was referring to the plight that Mary is in right now...My mom's going to be 89 in a little over a month and lives by herself....not sure how much longer that's going to be happening. She is adamant about not going to a rest home. She worked there when she was younger and just won't do it. Tough decisions ahead.

o

Greetings from the lowcountry,
I have been rather busy recently trying to get things ready for my travels. I leave tomorrow, will have to be back home the last two weeks in February, then I'm off again for perhaps several weeks.

I'm one of those weird people who actually loves packing to go someplace. Today I have had clothes scattered everywhere trying to decide what I will need, and what I MAY need. I always take too much unless I'm flying somewhere and weight counts. This is a car trip though. I think I gave up flying after 9/11. haven't flown since then anyway. However, I do plan to fly to California in early summer. I had planned it for early spring, but DD is coming here in Feb instead.

So y'all watch out - I may just wind up on YOUR doorstep!! I hope to have a brand new car by then and a good GPS so I don't get lost. Who knows? I may just drive right on to the Pacific Ocean.

Hey, I'm just trying to make this sound adventurous and exciting - I will really be visiting family and old friends from Georgia, S.C., N.C., VA, and WVA. MIGHT get over to Tenn.

Will keep in touch and take lots of pictures.

gng - I hope everything turns out OK with your parents. I took care of my mom her last year and it was very hard watching her lose the battle with Alzheimer's. She, too, had always hated the thought of being in a nursing home, and between the five of us sisters, she didn't have to. I am so glad. She was 88 when she passed. I still miss her very much. Sometimes, though, a nursing home is the only alternative. And there are some good ones around.

o

Hi Gerry...take lots of pics and post them for us to enjoy....if you get your new car and decide to drive to the Pacific, you'll most likely come thru my neck of the woods....I'll buy you dinner and a cup of coffee.

o

Opps, sorry Michael. My mom is 80 y.o. and I believe if she had to, she would go with my youngest sister. They are like soulmates and it's beautiful to watch them both! There are more of us that would take mom, but I think she feels more comfortable with my youngest sister.

Oh Gerry, I wish you a wonderful trip visiting family and friends! Can't wait to see pictures. When you decide to drive to the Pacific Ocean, stop by Michael's for a good send off, and then you can stay at my place. I am not too far from the Pacific ocean!

o

I'm smack-dab in the middle of the USA, so drop me an email and come visit me - I'd be delighted to have you. I guess I missed something - are you retired?

o

AGING IS A STATE OF MIND!

The aging process has you firmly in its grasp if you never get the urge to throw a snowball. ~Doug Larson

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. ~Mark Twain

Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. ~Samuel Ullman

You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair. ~Douglas MacArthur

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ~Chili Davis

In youth the days are short and the years are long; in old age the years are short and the days long. ~Nikita Ivanovich Panin

Age does not diminish the extreme disappointment of having a scoop of ice cream fall from the cone. ~Jim Fiebig

In a man's middle years there is scarcely a part of the body he would hesitate to turn over to the proper authorities. ~E.B. White

The years teach much which the days never knew. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Inflation is when you pay fifteen dollars for the ten-dollar haircut you used to get for five dollars when you had hair. ~Sam Ewing

Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been. ~Mark Twain, Following the Equator

Youth is a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on children. ~George Bernard Shaw

There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. ~John Mortimer

Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative. ~Maurice Chevalier, New York Times, 9 October 1960

Old Time, that greatest and longest established spinner of all!.... his factory is a secret place, his work is noiseless, and his hands are mutes. ~Charles Dickens

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. ~Author Unknown

A man's age is something impressive, it sums up his life: maturity reached slowly and against many obstacles, illnesses cured, griefs and despairs overcome, and unconscious risks taken; maturity formed through so many desires, hopes, regrets, forgotten things, loves. A man's age represents a fine cargo of experiences and memories. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupry, Wartime Writings 1939-1944, translated from French by Norah Purcell

Live as long as you may, the first twenty years are the longest half of your life. ~Robert Southey, The Doctor

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams. ~John Barrymore

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were? ~Satchel Paige

Father Time is not always a hard parent, and, though he tarries for none of his children, often lays his hand lightly upon those who have used him well; making them old men and women inexorably enough, but leaving their hearts and spirits young and in full vigour. With such people the grey head is but the impression of the old fellow's hand in giving them his blessing, and every wrinkle but a notch in the quiet calendar of a well-spent life. ~Charles Dickens

The first sign of maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to the left. ~Jerry M. Wright

When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it. ~Mark Twain

o

Great quotes Jo. I especially like this one: "Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. ~Author Unknown" Appreciate life!

Aging certainly is a state of mind, and sometimes I have to remind myself that my state of mind is not reqistering correctly, lol! For example, I have to remind myself that I can't/shouldn't do things beyond what is safe or sensible: like get on the roof to trim branches or carry heavy loads like a wooden half-whiskey barrel (injured my arm) or try to cut down a tree that died (injured my shoulder), etc. I hate not being able to do what I used to be able to do.

o

Good morning, everyone. Eloise, as I am looking for information on the internet, I run across goodies like the one above - some of them I keep - this was one of them.

Yep, there are a lot of sayings that tell us we aren't what we used to be, but again - slowing down beats death any day IMHO!

o

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been around in a few but it's been pretty disruptive around here the last few days. My folks are fine for now - in a different facility and getting the medical help they need. I'm telling you, it has been a true fiasco. My step-brother has been a real trooper and his wife has really been aggresive about making sure everyone starts doing what they should, all with very little sleep. My hats off to them for that.

Anyway, just wanted to check in and say thank you for all of your kind thoughts. I feel like my head is so full because I know that this state of calm is only temporary. My folks will have to move to another facility at the end of the month. But, it's good to have friends here - much appreciated.

Be well!!

gng

o

Mary, that's what friends are for - to lean on - I know each and every one on this forum will help in any way they can. We care about you, lady!

o

Welcome back, Mary!!!..I agree with Jo...there are some very caring people on here. I'm glad to see that your step-brother is helping you through this tough time. I've been thinking of your plight and glad you checked in to give us an update.

o

Thanks all!! Everyone is out of the woods for now - I hope. I think my whole family could use a break, especially my step-brother and his wife. They are going home on Monday so they can vote on Tuesday. That will be the real test - no one will be there to guide things. We'll see what happens - hoping for the best!!

Hey, take a look at my pics!! Now I'm sending them to everyone. This is fun!

o

Greetings all,

It's raining here and we are going to a 1 PM showing of The Wicked in L.A. I hope it won't be a mess just trying to get there.

gng, saw your new kitchen. Thumbs up! Glad your family is doing better, and I am happy that your step-brother did the right thing by his mom and your dad. Praying things will continue to go smoothly for you all.

Jo, the bottom line is that we only have two options, live or die. I don't know about you, but when I was preteen, I couldn't wait to be older; now, it seems like I am getting older too quickly, lol!

o

Thanks Eloise! BTW, how's your car?

o

Good morning all,

We had a wonderful day yesterday. Went to the musical "Wicked," then went out to dinner. IMO, the musical was good, but not fantastic. It did have a few fantastic numbers, but also a few that were sort of slow and boring. The main actors were fantastic though!

gng, I believe the soap opera with my car is finally OVER! I've had my car back for about three days and so far so good. However, I had to threaten them when they were again taking too long. The following day, they called saying the part they had been waiting for had arrived and it was ready that evening (surprise). Next day, I went to drop off the rental, and they gave us (had my grandbaby with me) a ride to the dealer's. The service advisor said he had called for them to bring up my car. Then he came back and said sorry, but when they were driving my car up he heard a noise in the engine; had it been there before? NO, and what am I suppose to do, wait? No, I have a loaner car ready for you. By the end of that day, my car was ready, again! As I said, so far so good. Since the first time I took my car in, I have driven an Expedition, Jeep Liberty, Dodge Avenger, Kia, and a Dodge SUV! It is so great to have my car back -- thank God!

Later.

o

Eloise, Consumer Reports could use you to give reviews on all those loaner/rental cars!! Glad to hear you are back to normal. Let's hope it stays that way!!

o

Good morning all,

Isn't that the truth gng, lol; I might be able to give reviews on different cars! The last time I was to pick up my car, I told my grandson that I would be picking him up from school in my car. Well, that's when I got the last loaner (SUV) so I had to really be on the lookout for him because he would be looking for my car. When I waved to him, he just smiled and said, is this your latest new car!

Gerry, just sending good thoughts for you on the road. I know you must be having a grand time traveling and visiting friends and family!

Did anyone have family or friends affected by the tornados?

o

Good evening all,

Just got off working on my taxes. I am not done yet, but needed a break from that stuff! I hate dealing with any work having to do with filling in or writing, ugh! But, once it's done, I will be happy.

Hope the weather is getting better for everyone. I didn't want to say this, but will; we are having such beautiful warm weather here. It almost feels like spring! I wanted to do some trimming outside after church, but then decided to work on my taxes so the day just slipped away.

I bidded on a cutting of a brugmansia on ebay, and will be picking it up possibly tomorrow. The seller is here in California only a little over 30 minutes by freeway. I am a happy camper :-)

Nothing else going on, but just wanted to touch base.

Later.

o

Eloise - just keep talking Spring. We could use it here. The way the winds are blowing here, it's like March. I guess Spring should be just around the corner - not likely!!

Hey, when you get your car back will you know how to drive it - LOL.

A really nice date - some folks on the Kitchen Forum decided to get together for dinner tonight. There are so many in my area - who knew! I ended up having to work longer than plan so I missed it. I hear it was a very nice outing. It was actually for a fellow Web'r that was staying here temporarily for medial treatment for her son. She is leaving next week. We all wanted to give her a good send off. One of the best things about Garden Web!

Hi to all...

gng

o

Hi gng, it's still very nice out here, but I am sure the weather will turn cold and rainy again. Got my brugmansia cutting yesterday, but that 30-minute drive was longer! It took me a total of 3 hours to get there and back because the freeway was packed going and coming. Yet, I bought two huge (over 5' long) brugmansia cuttings of a Shredded White and am very happy!

I have my car and it drove just great yesterday on my 60-mile drive on the freeway. I am soooooooooo happy that it performed beautifully. Especially since March 1, I am driving to Santa Barbara with friends to go to the annual orchid show there.

gng, that gathering from the Kitchen Forum sounds great. Sorry you couldn't attend. Definitely one of the best things about the GW -- this is how the gardening group I belong to started.

Hope all are doing well.

o

Eloise, where did you get your brug cuttings?

o

Jo, I bought the cuttings from an ebay seller who only had them available for pick up. Lucky me, she lives here in So. California! Are you into brugs?

o

I WAS into brugs! I went to Florida over Thanksgiving to be with my grandsons and I had my plants on my sun porch - the temps dropped to 19 for three days, and they all froze. I was given a gorgeous TRIPLE pink brug, and of course it froze - very sad indeed.

o

Eloise - can I come to your house! I is freezing rain -ICE, all over the place here!! It took a half hour to get the ice off of my car when I left work - LATE. My car was the only one left in the parking lot and I don't work in the best of neighborhoods. It's very pretty, but the goblins do come out at night! i just turned the lights out and kept the doors locked - and prayed!! Congrats on your car!! I know you feel pretty at-home now.

Jo, sorry about your plants. That's tough. As a former landscaper helper, I hate to say it, but what are brugs? Sounds like they are pretty special, the way you and Eloise describe them.

o

Oh Jo, so sorry about your brugs. I've not seen a triple pink, bet it was beautiful!!!! If you ever get it again, I would love a cutting. When you are ready, weather permitting, you can have cuttings of the shredded white. Also have a noid (no i.d.) pink and a noid white. I have other cuttings that I am currently rooting, but too small to share right now; hopefully my double white will grow quickly and I can share that as well.

gng, come on down! We are having marvelous weather. Ice, sounds painful. Brugs are brugmania or some call them Angel Trumpets. Go to the Brugmansia site here in GW and you will find lots of pictures. You might just find a new love!

o

Eloise, I plan to move to Florida this fall, and I saw some in PCB, where I plan to go. I appreciate your offer. I still have the plant, though it appears to be dead - i it returns, OF COURSE I will send you a cutting!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicmg src=>

o

I am drooling Jo! That is a beautiful brug; she reminds me of a ballerina, so light and graceful!

Each time I acquire a plant, I tell myself that I will not get anymore because I plan to re-list my home for sale; then, I get more plants, lol! Just know that the offer stands for when you are ready.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

o

Feel like I can breathe a little easier. Yesterday went to DMV to renew my driver's license.

(In re-reading this, it sounds like mom has no one to care for her, but she does. She said she had been coughing for a few days, and thought she had a cold. She always tells people she is fine, and that she is getting better.) Mom had surgery yesterday and is doing real well. She has been hospitalized for about a week taken by ambulance. Turns out she had water in her lungs, a heart attack (got a stent? put in), they found she had a broken bone somewhere close to her hip that was paining her a lot, and had a kidney infection. The latter, my family kept asking the doctors where did that come from because she had never had that problem before. They were extremely vague about their answers and we think it might have been the medication they have her on. Anyway, here surgery was delays for four days until they were able to get the infection under control and also to coat the kidneys for when they injected the iodine to look for blockage to her heart. God is good and she is coming along just fine now.

o

Good morning, Eloise. I don't think there is a need to drool - all I have now is a tan stick where that brug used to be. It was the oddest plant - one stem had single, odd looking blooms, one had double-tiered blooms and one had triple-tiered blooms.

Re: your mom - it's good to know she is recovering. Medical facilities are killing people right and left - they are loaded with staff infections - that's probably where your mom got hers. You know, that movie star (Roy Scheider/Jaws star) died of a staff infection. He had a blood cancer, but the staff infection ie C Diff, killed him.

Here is another picture of the brug:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic>

o

Jo - oh how beautiful!! I would love to have something like that in my yard - oops, garden (yeah, right). Well, at least I'm trying to take a stab at a garden. I had pretty good luck for a change with some annuals. Maybe I can get things going again this year.

Eloise, glad you Mom is doing better. You know, it could be the meds she was taking, but then again, older folks tend to have such a weakened immune system. Infections come from anywhere. When my step-mom and Dad came out of the hospital, they both has pneumonia! Best wishes for her speedy recovery!

gng

o

Mary, you can grow brugmansias - they are easy. When/if mine get up and growing and develope some hard wood, I will gladly root one for you - just let me know if you'd like one.

o

The weather totally changed yesterday and got super windy. I happened to be in the laundry room and saw something huge flying by, then crashed. It was palm fronds. I went out to bring some plants in before they got blown away. There was a total of 20 palm fronds all in a pile! Good thing they didn't hit the windows. There's a very tall palm tree in my backyard and when it gets windy, those fronds start coming down. I try not to go outside because if one of those things hit you, you are a goner. Between my backyard palm tree and my neighbor's palm tree in the front, I get lots of fronds that need to be cut up -- hate those trees. This morning, the weather is nice and calm again.

Thanks all. My mom is recouperating nicely and will be staying with one of my sisters and b-i-l close to the hospital when she gets released. Know it's true that one can catch something more than what you had when you go to a hospital.

O.k. Jo, I will droll at the picture, lol! I understand from other people, that their double or triple brugs will do that, i.e., some flowers will be single &/or double &/or triple on the same plant.

Friday, yeah!!

o

I have this beauty (Clivia)blooming in my spare bedroom/office today.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic>

o

We had close to 60 degrees today, after that awful ice storm. We've had warmer temps - close to 80, so I know Spring is coming. You two are really tempting me!! That's a beauty Jo. I wonder how much I can do with a lot of sun but not much rain!!!!! I wanted to put in an irrigation system but the kitchen took of that idea - maybe next year, if I'm still here. I want to move so much, but with new kitchen and W/D...hmmmm.

o

Definitely beautiful flowers...plants entrusted in me have been given the kiss of death. I admire those who can grow. Heck, I never even had luck with growing illegal plants back in the 70's. Photobucket

o

Very nice clivia bloom Jo. I should check mine that is planted outside and see if there's any signs of bloom. It's terrible, but sometimes I just take for granted some of the plants I have.

Michael, you just reminded me of a student friend. I was going to Arizona and he asked me to bring him back a cactus because that he could not kill. I got him a teddybear cactus which he kept in his window sill in his office. The cactus died and he didn't understand why "because he would water it with his leftover diet soda", duh!

o

Just touching base.

Bet Gerry is getting ready for her DD and SIL's visit from California!

Worked out in the yard today and boy am I beat! The weather was perfect, but I hear we are expecting rain tomorrow or the next day. Hope everyone enjoyed President's Day.

Tried a blended Java something or other from Starbucks. This coffee is for chocolate lovers. It had small chucks of chocolate that kept plugging up the straw; then it had as a topping, half of the side chocolate syrup and the other half whipped cream. Took me two days to drink it because it was just too much, lol!

Later.

o

Eloise, I thought of buying a Chia Pet, but had fears of the ASPCA coming after me after I killed it...I am snake bitten

o

Funny, Michael -- you know the ASPCA would be after you for cruelty to a Chia "pet". Once we started a Chia Pet, but after a while we got tired of whatever it was at the time, an animal of some sort. The seeds didn't all sprout and so it had some bare spots.

o

Eoise, you are so diplomatic - I can just imagine a chia pet with "bare spots". If I had one I probably would have said something else - LOL!!

Michael - I thought I was bad!! I can cut a mean lawn, but grow plants - you must be kidding!! However, I did pretty good last summer. I can't wait to try again - maybe my streak is changing...

o

I do grow some really nice moss on my Coffee bean tree.

o

gng, funny!

Michael, I wish I could grow moss. Tried, but it gets too hot here and it dies. You must have a lot of moisture in your area.

I wonder how Gene and Gerry are doing. Hope you both are enjoying life to the fullest. I'm sure Gerry is still glowing from her DD and SIL's visit! Gene, still haven't gone to the World Market, but Thursdays when I take my grandbaby to Gymboree, I pass by it and remember you.

Later.

o

Good morning all,

Went to the Santa Barbara Orchid show (bought 2) on Saturday and it was wonderful as usual. Afterwards we stopped in Carpenteria to one of the orchid greenhouses. They have hundreds and hundreds of cymbidium orchids (bought 2). Only posting a few pix as I don't know how to do clickables. Also didn't take too many pictures because my battery was low!

o

Beautiful flowers! See, that's another reason I want to move to a warm climate - I can actually GROW beauties like orchids!

o

Hi Jo, certainly is 'another' good reason to move to a warmer climate! Cymbidiums are very easy to grow. I have a pot of cymbidiums that are outside year around and I always get 5-6 spikes of flowers each year. This is pretty good considering I don't feed them as they say you should.

I'm just wondering where everyones gone. There's not much action in Coffee Shop. I wish I could remember which coffee beans I bought for my DD's house, then maybe Gene might comment. I know one was Spanish and the other from African, but can't recall their names, duh! I know I liked the one African coffee as it had better flavor, well to me anyway.

Hope all is well with everyone.

o

All is well here, except for being fat and bored!

I am depressed over the news that Patrick Swazey, aged 55, is dying with pancreatic cancer - that's what Gary died from - he was 54 - he will be gone a year on April 17th.

I start water color painting classes tomorrow. I am bored with retirement, so have to find some things to do. They want me to teach a class in beginner gardening and beginner computer at the senior center - guess I will. As soon as it warms up a bit, I will be out and about.

I need to start getting ready to move to Florida. I have been researching the best method to get my plants and other stuff moved there.

Should I rent a truck and drive it there or should I hire it done? If anyone has any words of experience, please share them with me.

o

Hi all - I'm here Eloise!!

I've been down with some kind of virus and really didn't know what, or that it had hit me. But when it did, it was awful. But, Iiiiiiii'm Baaaack!!

Jo, if you have an awful lot of plants that require care, you may want to go the pro way. They will have temp controlled trailers. That is probably very expensive though. My ex is an owner-operator, but he primarily hauls commodities, rather than furniture. A friend of ours used to take loads of plants to the HD stores - boy they look nice when the are in transport. What the heck happens after that, I don't know. I do know, they don't look the same after they arrive there!! I can ask him about your situation if you want. He goes to FL all the time, but he starts from here on the east coast. But it's worth a shot. He may know someone. Let me know...

Sending a shout out to the rest of you all...

gng

o

Mary, that would be great - ask him, please. I won't be moving my furniture (at this point). I am being told it will be cheaper to buy when I get there. I am moving clothes and plants and kitchen items/food stuff. Thank you for caring!

o

Jo, I just saw the news this morning about Patrick Swazey. I've always liked him and wish him well. I'm sure this doesn't help you because it brings up the hurt of losing your hubby. Sorry, your loss is fairly new.

Saw your water color on the other post. That's great that you are taking classes. Great opportunity to keep from being bored as well as the request to teach gardening and computer -- way to go! Sorry to be so uninformed, but how far is your current home from where you will be moving to? When I moved here in 1999, my sil rented this huge truck and the last load was my plants. They filled the truck, plus my car and I had to leave some behind because it was late and we were tired so didn't want to do another trip!

gng, sorry you've been down with whatever is going around. Several people I know have also been sick.

o

Thanks Eloise. I felt like you-know-what, but I was lucky. Most people I know were down for more than a week. I'm still headachy every once in a while but I sure am glad that it's on the way out.

Jo, I too saw your watercoler - it is really beautiful. Thanks for sharing that one.

I'll try to touch base with Buddy this weekend. He's probably in FL now and should be back either tomorrow or Saturday. I think it would be better to get new furniture. Plus that would be fun - my favorite past-time.

Yeah, Patrick Swazey story is very sad. I know you know the ins and outs of that disease. My sister lost a close friend about 3 yrs ago with it. By the time they found out, it was only 3 months later. I guess it's time for some major intervention into possible cures. Maybe Swazey's situation will help shed more light onto it.

Eloise, I know about leaving something behind. I had to leave a few plants because I was just too darn tired to dig them up. It was so late - 10:00 at night, by the time I had the time. By then, i didn't even have enough energy to think about it. I miss them too, as one was a gift from a special friend that I don't see any longer. Oh well, memories that I don't need, I guess.

Nite all!

o

Yes, Eloise - it is very painful to hear of anyone with this cancer - I am sure it will continue to be painful for the rest of my life.

Mary, if you need more plants, all you need to do is speak up - Eloise and I will be happy to send you some, WON'T we Eloise? LOL I maybe shouldn't volunteer others, but gardeners LOVE to share their plants!

o

gng, Jo is correct! Just say the word.

o

You guys are so sweet - thank you. I'm not sure what would work in my yard because even in the shade it is HOT and dry. There are a lot of tree roots - some of the trees are even around anymore and the roots are all over the place (and I bought this house because...???!!!). Any ideas????

o

Good morning all,

gng, lol, I know what you mean! I now want out of my house because it is just too much for me to care for properly and the market is so slow that it isn't moving. I have a fairly large backyard with the pool and front yard. The pool got a crack and so had to empty it because it wasn't a priority to have it fixed right away. With all the rain we have been having, and the winds that blew all these leaves and palm fronds into the pool, I need to empty it out again! The pump isn't functioning that well so will look into renting one to drain it, but want to make sure we won't have more rain soon. I've added mosquito dunks to the pool to kill all those wiggly things before they all attack me, lol! I used to maintain it pretty good, but now with being away from the house so much, I don't have the time. Anyway, when I first saw my house, I said "this is it"! It served me right for 9 years, but now it's time to move away from the area to a bit smaller lot.

Salvia leucantha, lantana, lavender, etc., grow very well in heat. You can put them in large pots since you have all those root problems, which by the way, hopefully don't get into your pipes!

Later.

o

Mary, Eloise has given you correct advice. When dealing with tree roots, there isn't much you can grow there except rose moss aka Portulaca - it's beautiful, grows from plants or seeds, self-seeds and looks awesome. Can you have someone come in and grind out the dead tree roots? Around here, the cost for that service is about $200 for a huge massive tree root system.

Growing plants in pots is a challenge, to say the least, because they will need to be watered two or three times PER DAY when it's windy and hot. I'd say silk flowers would be your best bet! LOL

Sell your house and get a YARD that is functionable, then we will get you some handsome plants to grace your life!

o

I'm going to write down those suggestions - thanks.

I actualy have a good size yard, front and back, to do a lot of planting. I just have so much sun and when the summer months hit, there just isn't enough water. I was going to put in an irrication system, but OMG, that a steep price just too look at some pretty flowers. So, I'm rethiinking what will work. I have one large tree that's close to the house that needs to come down. Plus my neighbors trees think they live on top of my house. Before my friend passed, we were cutting down trees like crazy so I could get some grass. We left that one large oak because we had cut down 4 that day and he was so tired that we thought better to wait so he wouldn't mess up, especially since it was so close to the house. When I bought the house there was a lot of stuff to do, inside and out. Most of it was cosmetic but since he was a landscaper by profession (owner), I let him handle the outside. We never got that one tree cut down, and a lot of the other outside stuff never was completed either. I sure do miss that guy - he was an artist when it came to landscaping and I haven't found anyone like him since. He had become such a close friend, and I trusted him. Of course I got discounts too. Now everyone wants money but the workmanship and dependability aren't there. I have a guy that cuts the grass now, but when his guys never bothered to edge the beds and I have grass growing all over the place in them. Not sure what I'm going to do yet but if I can, and if the market peaks any, I may sell next year. I'll just take my W/D, granite countertop and cooktop and ovens with me - LOL!!

I bought another new toy today - didn't plan this one at all. I ended up buying a Blue-Ray DVD player today, and some movies to go along with it. I watched Ratatoulle tonight. That is the cutest movie!! I don't to that kind of thing that much anymore, and it really felt like fun. It's been a VERY long day - electrician and computer geek were here early. Spend most of the day with the computer guy, trying to get the computer and TV stuff hooked up. Now I'm too tired to even think about cleaning up the wake from it all. But it was fun.

Hope all are doing OK out there!!

gng

o

Oh, Mary - I feel your pain in losing your friend - a person just doesn't realize what someone means to them until they are gone. Try to get some rest so you don't become ill - you've really been working HARD here lately.

o

gng, had to look up Blue-Ray DVD player because I had no clue what 'Blue-Ray' meant, lol! Nice toy! I love watching some of those 'kid' movies too! When my first two grandkids were younger, I used to take them to all the new kid movies.

Wednesday, my grandson (11 yo) told me after school that he had a great plan and it included me. He wanted some friends to spend the night on Thursday at his home, and that they would all bring their skateboards (don't think so). Next day they would all go to school from his house. After school, I (this is where the plan included me) would take them to the mall and they would skate in the parking lot (no chance of this ever happening). Afterwards, they would go to the movies to see "10,000 B.C." I said that I wanted to see that movie. He got very quite and said "you can't sit with us". I said "why not, I can be very cool, wear makeup and some skinny jeans, and ask your friends, what's your name dude?" He had this nervous smile on his face, lol! Anyway, when he told mom about his plan, it was a no go. She would take a couple of kids to the movies on Friday, but that was it. My GS was sick Thursday so he wasn't able to continue with his plan.

It's hard to find good service, and I basically don't trust too many of them.

o

I am just so pissed off. My car overheated today while picking up my grandson from school. Good thing they live close by the school. I am taking it to the mechanic in the morning, who is also close to my DD's home. It just makes me sick. Sometimes you just can't get ahead. Here I got some $ back from the IRS and now I have to use it on the car instead of something fun for myself. I suppose I should think of it as being thankful I have that money to fix my car, but I really don't feel like being positive right now, rats! I am also working on my letter to the Jeep Co. because my car is still not right! Being that I am so pissed about the car, this should make me be very creative in my letter writing. Just had to vent.

o

Eloise, I think it's time you contacted your state's Attorney General! I would have done it before now, but I'm a beatch, and I know you aren't. Bless your heart - I can certainly understand your angst - I would be fit to be tied! Keep us posted on how this ordeal pans out.

o

Jo, thanks for being there. I used to be a b*** all while growing up, and I was a b**** when I worked and fought many a good fight for our staff and me, but now, I can't seem to be one and really fight for me. I'm hoping my car is fine and won't overheat anymore as it was fixed yesterday. I also sent out a two-page letter (cut down from four!) to Jeep yesterday. Will keep you posted on the latter.

o

Eloise, since Gary died (a year ago almost!), I don't care about daily crap, either. In the case of your vehicle, it is your link to other people, so you NEED it. That's why I would call my SAO and get it handled right away!

o

Thanks Jo. I'll see what Jeep Co. does about the situation, and then will proceed with other measures to get this resolved in my favor.

On another note, how is everyone's weather coming along. We had a beautiful week, but it supposedly will get cooler with a chance of rain sometime. I only get bits and pieces of weather reports on the radio as I drive so not sure as to when we expect rain, but I figure that whatever I have to do, can be done whether it rains or not!

o

Our weather, here in KCMO, has been amazing!

The last two days it has been in the high 60's and sunny, today is supposed to be cloudy and high 40's - birds and animals are doing their 'thing', but no sign of flowers, except crocus.

Motorcycles are EVERYWHERE - sounds, smells and feels like spring has arrived in our neck of the woods!!!

o

Hey you two - sounds like you are at a table for 2. Sorry about that - I've been a little overwhelmed lately with trying to get life back on track now that the kitchen is nearly finished. Thanks for all the wonderful comments. Eloise - the Blue Ray is GREAT!!! I'm enjoying watchin that big black box in my family room now. Sorry to hear about your car story. Boy I know that just drains you. Jo, are you still painting? I can't believe you are doing so well on your first trials. You talk about what I'm doing, but you are truly doing something I can't do - draw, paint, and all that canvas kind of stuff. I don't have the eye or patience for it. I would love to do a sculpture though - that is a different type of patience - not like watching grass grow - LOL!!!!!

Take care all - I've really missed talking to ya!

gng

o

Good to hear from you gng! I too used to think I didn't have patience for painting, but it's extremely relaxing especially for us Triple A personalities, lol! Before, I couldn't even stand to cook because I wanted everything to be done now and would put the flame as high as I could so things would be done quickly. Now, I am daily working on patience to control what I think are the results of so many years functioning on adrenaline because of my impatience.

BTW, I always wanted to do a sculpture or stain glass, but heard it was very hard on the hands. Don't know why that stopped me being that my hands look like crap now, lol!

o

Good morning, ladies!

Mary, we have missed YOU, TOO!!!

I am FAAAAARRRRRRR from painting on canvas - I am 'painting' on paper - LOL! I am also far from being a painter - a kindergartener can 'paint' with crayons! That's basically what watercolor painting is, with a little shading added - not a big accomplishment. I started oil and acrylic lessons last Friday - now maybe THAT will qualify as art - oils are HARD to work with! How about posting some of your sculptures, Mary????

Eloise, show us some of your paintings - I love looking at other's accomplishments!

o

Good morning all,

Guess CS is dead.

Michael, forgot when your daughter was getting married, and wondering how the situation with mom is coming along. I hope things all worked out. Anymore photos?

Jo, how did you like your acrylic lesson? The reason I picked acrylic instead of oil is because acrylic dries faster and if you mess up you can paint right over it where with oil, you have to wait a day or so before it dries.

Two of us are going to meet a friend at UCLA today and then go into Westwood for lunch. Haven't done this in a while and it will be great visiting my colleagues.

gng, hope your kitchen is finally at the stage you want it to be. It's hard to get ones life disrupted.

Later.

o

Eloise - no way CS is dead; we are all just miserably S-L-O-W!!!!!

We'll back in the swing soon. When I first lucked up on this site, it was so dry. Then all of a sudden, we just popped a gasket!! Now I guess we're in a lull - at least that's what Jo promised - LOL, Jo!! Hope she's right - can't loose you guys!!!!!

Michael, if you are out there, shout back when you can - whenever. I hope you are having some fun too!!!

gng

o

Mary, you can bet Michael's in SOME SORT of trouble SOMEWHERE - he's as cute as a speckled pup, as sweet as pure cane sugar, and always THINKING! Maybe Ms. New Jersey is in town - seems to me he said she was coming down this spring SOMETIME. If she's in town, I KNOW where THEY ARE! LOL

Yep, this forum gets slow UNLESS someone is willing to stir the pot and add some pepper to it. I guess I will have to find something to spice this place up a bit! All of you put on your thinking caps and let's get something going here!

o

Wish I had something spicy to tell, but haven't done anything exciting.

Guess we will have to wait until Michael surfaces to hear some news from that front, lol!

I assume Gerry will be able to post and tell us about her trip end of January when we start a new thread because dial up takes too long for this to load up for her. Also, looking forward to Gene posting at some point, as well as some of the other previous posters.

It's a beautiful day here in southern CA. Taking my granddaughter shopping for a wallet. This girl always 'needs' something. Recently they bought her a new bedroom set, then dad took her shopping for a complete set of lamps, comforter, sheets, curtains and rug, and dad said "think the Queen's room is complete"!

Later.

o

I think both of you are right - we gotta get Michael back.

Jo - I believe it was March, that she was coming. I hope all works out for him. BUT, he had better hurry up and get back here. It's getting too slow around here!! Oh yeah, I remember his pic - he aint too bad to look at either. He actually reminds me of a guy that I dated for about a year. They were about the same age and oh boy, so much just plain fun!! We both realized we weren't right for each other, but we remained friends for a good little while, just to have company to hang out with. Sometimes, that's better than in a relationship!! Hmmmm, that makes me think about a new thread - "best friends" or "significant other"...?

Eloise - I'm just LOL RE your grandaughter! I remember my 12th Bday. My parents bought me a new bedroom set just like the one on display in the window the downdown department store - bedspread and all. I was so excited. I'll never forget that. Of course it was the typical White French Provencial. Mine was a little different though because instead of havng plain gold trim, it had light blue painted trim around the drawers, etc. They painted my room sky blue, to match. You couldn't tell me nuth'n!!

I hope you enjoy your shopping trip.

o

LOL, Mary - I can just see your nose in the air!

o

I'm alive and kickin'... had major company for mom's birthday and it all went off pretty well. Ms. New Jersey has been here since the 8th and will be here until (?). The weather has been too crummy to get out and do much touring, though. Maybe I'll come up with some pics soon. The wedding is 45 days away, so reality is beginning to set in. I do hope that everyone is doing well and enjoying the longer days of sunlight.

o

welcome back Michael - you were missed to be sure. It was way too quiet over here!!

Glad to hear things went well and all is flowing smoothly. One day at a time and sounds like that's what happening (although it's really probably pretty hectic right now.) But I hear so much more calm in your "voice".

Funny, when you mentioned the wedding, I momentarily forgot it was your daughter's. Thought at first you were talking about you - LOL!!!

I hope things continue to go well for you.

o

Welcome back, Michael - glad things are working well for you!

Mary, I thought the same thing - he's getting married!!

Michael - so the wedding is May 15th? Will your S.O. be here for that event?

How does your Mom like Ms. New Jersey so far?
I realize it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about her, but it sure makes things easier if everyone likes everyone! LOL I'm sure she is a sweet and lovely lady, but the general rule is that no one is good enough for sonny boy!

o

impo'tnt thoughts Jo!!

o

Hey Michael, glad things turned out good for your mom's b.d. BTW, where will the wedding be after all? I know that last was to go to Las Vegas, but don't recall if that was final. Won't be long, and I hope your daughter found a wonderful guy to care for her.

Jo and gng, are you trying to get Michael married already, lol!

Well the weather is great out here, and the nights are a bit cool. They keep saying we are getting rain, but so far none has fallen in my yard!

Later.

o

Eloise, NO - I don't want Michael to get married! If he gets married, he's off the market, and I may want him for myself some day!!!! Just kidding, Diane!

It was nice here, today - sunny, but the darned wind made it coat-wearing weather. I went to three nurseries today to buy goodies - an early birthday present from Gary - thanks, Honey - I love you!

o

Hey Jo - we know, we know - LOL!!! From what you have said though, and from the little bit I know here, he would be a good catch (no pink cheeks Michael; not trying to scare you away!!) OK, you have a little edge to you but that just keeps ya young. You just appear to be a caring and decent gentleman that enjoys life and loves to share it with others. That makes you a good catch all by itself!

Yeah, we do need the guy's here as much as possible. Everyone knows women have opinions, but the guys do to. This place is a free-for-all for them to fire away too. Good to have, to balance things here.

The weather here - well, it's been gorgeous the past few days. HOWEVER, thats about to change. I hear it will be close to freezing when I get up - arrrrgggh!!

nite all!!

o

Mary, Michael is indeed a very dear friend of mine, and I want only the best for him. He will make the right lady very happy indeed - the trick will be to pin him down!

It's cold and clammy here again today - we just can't seem to get that break from the northerner, allowing the southern breezes to flow and bring us warmer weather - you know, it beats being dead, hands down, so I won't complain!

o

I'm sure he is a good friend to have.

OK - it's still raining and I'm tired of it for today. Eloise, why don't I pack some up and send it your way!! I need some sunshine! We'll get there one day, Jo. But I bet you'll get there before I do - FL, here comes Jo.....!!!

o

Hi All!!...No wedding bells for me, thank you....KC misquoted the number of days to me, when I said 45...the wedding is on the 24th of May. Got fitted for my suit today. (I'll be selling pics of me ,in a suit, on the internet so that someone will have proof that I have ever worn one) It will be here in town, (I think :) )...Hadn't looked back in as I had to take mom to ER on Wednesday and she just got released this afternoon...a little dehydration, but other than that, docs have no clue for her dizzy spells. Flu was ruled out. BTW Jo, Diane and mom get along very well. Almost scares me, heh...

o

Michael, I am happy that your mom and future fiance get along - it's so important to your future happiness, IMHO!!! Thanks for updating us. Tell your mom to quit scaring you and DRINK her LIQUIDS as she's supposed to!!!

o

Michael, I know your daughter will be so proud to see you in that suit!! What a special day to look forward to - I'm excited for you. I remember when my nephews got married. One at the Courthouse and the other at the quaint chapel at University of MD. It is a beautiful place. My nephew stood there waiting for his bride with an expression I have NEVER seen before. He had such a calm expression, one of conviction as though he was so sure that he had picked the right one. We all know he did, even her family. That is such a priceless feeling.

Oh yeah, we wanna see those pics!!!

o

Whew, glad these couple of days are over! I've been busy since early Thursday morning. The school where my DD works and my GD goes to school at had their annual fashion show yesterday. It's been held at the Sheraton, but this year they had it at the Hilton. This is a fundraiser and I do the bouquets that they sell plus long stem red roses for the graduates. These students aren't graduating yet, but they get to walk down the runway. At the start of the runway, a guy comes out, meets a girl and hands her a long stem rose and walk to the other end of the runway -- very neat. Also did these huge bouquets to present to the two chairs of the show, and two smaller ones for the two choreographers. We had a wonderful lunch, there was a silent auction (and I got carried away and spent too much), fashion show, music, etc. The show appeared to be a great success and hopefully they made plenty of $ because it is for a worthy cause, a private Christian Jr.-Sr. High School!

Anyway, good to hear things are going well Michael. What do you mean, you will be selling pictures of you on the internet, LOL! You know, I wouldn't doubt that someone would buy one.

o

Hi Eloise,

Boy, you were busy. But, as you say, it was for a good cause. I have a close friend that creates floral arrangements for a variety of events. She even barters with her the owner of her hair salon. Problem with that, she goes EVERY week! It takes a lot of work to put something like that together, but it can really put as smile on your face when you can contribute to the success. I'm sure it will be.

Jo, how are ya doing out there? How's your painting going?

Oh well, it's time to crawl under for another week at work. Take care all...

gng

o

Good morning all,

Just sitting here in front of the computer having my coffee and checking out GW. Hope everyone is doing well.

Yesterday I planted a few plants, mowed the front lawn, raked leaves and washed my car. I just love it when I have that kind of energy and wish it was more often, LOL!

Anyone else had a successful day?

o

Hey Jo - something to do for your new retirement career - you should teach. Been following the "Opinions" thread, and you love this stuffI and know it too!! You're taking me back to my school days. I was a Psyche major for a few moments. I switched to Speach Pathology, but had to drop out - BIG MISTAKE!!! Maybe you could find a local college to teach Psych 101 or something, or even a higher level course. I'm sure your students would be engaged.

Eloise - Are you still as busy? I haven't seen you much. Seems like we are getting new frinds on the "Opintions" thread that Jonesy started. If you read it, Jo has started a firestorm - like the old Friday night rants!!

Hope everyone is doing well. Michael - are you married yet? - Just kidding. I know you are up to your eyeballs with your daughter's wedding, and I guess you still have a guest. Hope that's going well too.

This thread's getting ready to explode on us - well at least if everyone comes back to play. Who's got the lead on setting up CSVII?????

See ya'll.

gng

o

You can start Coffee Shop VII, Mary!

Yes, I'm afraid my sweet Michael is up to his ears in "Diane"!! LOL I am SO happy for him - he's a terrific guy, and any gal would be lucky to have him in her life.

Michael, I hope KC's wedding plans are progressing - it's creeping closer and closer. Come back and tell us what's going on - this forum is entirely too quiet without you!

o

Good news/bad news RE Michael. He sure did tame up some when she came out. I kinda guessed it was coming. See what powers we gals have!! Keep us posted. Michael, do we have to coax you back like the last time!!!! Just want to know how you are doing.

gng

o

This is the real busy season for Mike - he does heating and cooling installs and repairs. You are right, Knee, it was just a matter of time until some nice lady grabbed him. He probably has his hands full of women at the moment, what with his Mother, his daughter and his girlfriend ALL pulling at him!

o

Wow - wish he could come to my home. Need someone I could trust to do some work here. Furnace isn't old but needs some repair. Plus need to reroute some ductwork. There are some things this woman just can't do - LOL!!

o
RE: Coffee Shop VI - bump, bump, bump it up!

Hi all,

Can't lose this thread - just posting to revive it a little. I think it's the safest thread we've got - LOL!!

Anyway, hope all are doing OK. Vacations coming up, schools ending, the sun's out so folks are out making pretty, BUT, take a few moments to keep in touch. What's everyone doing out there!!???

gng

o

Hey, Mary! I am re-potting plants, taking care of the son and dog, getting fatter by the day, even though I walk the dog 3+ miles every day (weather permitting) - pretty much what everyone else is doing! What about you - any new projects on your agenda?

o

Hey there you two, nothing much happening here. I am drying a load of clothes, and watered the backyard, but had to come in because I could see mosquitoes aiming at me, lol! I hate them, but they love me! Yesterday in order for me to go outside, I put two sheets of Bounce on my clothing. O.k., don't laugh, but in some health mag. I read this repels the mosquitoes, and it really does work, yeah! I must have some BAD blood that mosquitoes and fleas just love.

o

Good morning all,

Took my car to a different dealership. Had a sensor replaced that was causing the rpms to fluctuate. So far so good. Also had my brakes done. Man it's expensive to get your car fixed at a dealership! Next, I need a smog check.

Yesterday, I cleaned out my half-whiskey barrel pond. The waterlilies had roots all wrapped around at the bottom of the pond. Glad I took the time to do that.

Anything new with anybody?

o

Eloise, we are still getting frost here in KCMO! I had to go out and cover all my tropical plants again last night - should be the last time this year.

I love water lilys - will try to grow some when I get moved. There are so many plants I need/want to replace when I get moved. I miss my Thumbergia grandiflora/blue sky vine the most - it got too cold and died.

I guess we can say goodbye to this forum again - it seems to completely be ignored for weeks at a time.

o

Hey there -

Don't give on CS yet - it't still a good one. It's someplace safe for us aging singles that just want to chat every once in a while.

Eloise - glad your car is finally showing some progress. Sensors are a pain to have to deal with. For such small parts, they are so expensive. You would think that since they have been around for so long - computerized cars and all, that the price would go down some. But then there is the labor - now that's gone up!!!

Jo - hopefully that is the last frost for you. I know what it's like to have to do the cover up thing. I had to do it one year and promised myself that I would wait until after April to plant anything. The one good thing, the plants really had time to settle in before the drought came. They were pretty hardy by then and I think that's what saved them when it got pretty bad here that year.

Well, not much going on here except that I'm cringing at the banging and scraping I'm hearing outside my kitchen window. I'm FINALLY having a pretty large oak tree cut down. This is the last one that of a group of trees that needed to be cut down. My friend and I were going to cut it down one afternoon, after having cut down 4 that day. We were a little tired and thought better of it since it is so close to the house. Well, you know that never happened and since he passed away, I've been trying to find someone that wouldn't charge so much - $1700 or more. This guy is doing "only" charging $1100 for the big one and also a small but tall one. For another $500 he says he'll grind all the stumps - even the ones from when my friend and I cut before. That's at $100 per stump becasue he has to rent the equipment and pay the guys. Anyway, I'm glad it's going. The year we had cecadas pretty badly, they got to the tree and about killed it so even though it would have some leaves, it looked pretty bad. My neighbor even said he would help pay for it because it looked so bad - I wish I could hold him to it!!

Anyway, it's a beautiful day here so I'm going to try to enjoy it some.

Take care...

gng

o

Mary, you won't ever regret paying to have those stumps professionally ground out - to do it yourself is virtually impossible! We cut down some red bud trees and spent almost as much money on chemicals and physical energy, to remove them, as if we had paid to have it done.

o

Thanks for the encouragement Jo. I have one this is HUGE, but it has started to disentegrate. But,I know there is stiall a lot left that I can't see. So yeah, even though it's breaking the bank, it the best thing to do.

I've been outside on the patio enjoying the view!! Both trees are down and it looks so different. They were pretty tall and you could see them from the front street. My neighbors and I were laughing at how empty it looks. They are going to finish cleaning up tomorrow (Ihope). I wasn't home when they left but the the owner of the company said he would be here tomorrow morning. The uncomfortable thing - I've paid him everything! The woman who's tree he cut down yesterday (that's how I found him), speaks for him since NO ENGLISH. He is a friend of her dad's and speaks very highly of him. So,I'm pretty sure I can trust him. If he doesn't show us, I know where she lives and I know he has a driver's lic. (hope is legal, but I think so). So, we'll see...

o

Wow Jo, you guys are still having frost! Hopefully that's it. Waterlilies are beautiful; I can see why when a person gets a small pond, they always want a larger one to add more plants to it! I've never had a Thunbergia grandiflora vine, but after searching I might just have to be on the lookout for one, LOL! It says they are easily propagated through cuttings.

gng, I bet it looks empty! When my neighbor and I had a new fence put up between our properties, there were like maybe 8 huge trees on the fence line that he had cut down. I was happy that the pine trees (messy) and a ficus were cut down, but there was a beautiful redwood too that I wished had been spared. Since the trees were on his property, not much I could say. The other thing it did to my side was took all that shade that protected my plants from the summer heat. I still haven't moved some that need moving to a shadier spot, but should do that fairly soon before our summer is here!

Hope that man shows up to finish the job, and I hope he is legal.

o

Came home for "lunch" today and my backyard looked like a sandbox from all the sawdust! Yes they came back but will need another day to finish. The interpreter is becoming a royal PITA!! She called today to tell me that his bank (which is also my bank) put a hold on the checks until sometime next week. Of course he was going to use that money to get supplies to finish my job. When I talked with him tonight (as much as we could carry on a sensible conversation) he didn't seem to be as bothered about it as she made it out to be. I'm going to give him cash - maybe $200, on Wednesday just to pay for the mulch and partial dump fees which are about $100/ton. I know that's expensive because I used to go to the dump when I was doing landscape work. So I don't mind doing that. But I'm getting a receipt for it and we both will have to sign that he owes me the money back. What a mess, but who has a couple of thousand $$ cash just laying around???? No one in my cirle, that's for sure. My neighbors all think I'm loaded because of all the work I'm having done. But little do they know, that it's ALL gone now. No more stuff unless I do it myself. But, it's worth it, even if it makes the house look nice enough to grab a couple of more dollars if I have to bail out and sell.

What a day!!!...

o

Mary, DON'T give him cash!

o

gng, I agree with Jo -- DO NOT give him cash! If this is his business, then he should be prepared to take care of his own expenses instead of expecting people to pay ahead so he can do the job! To some people, signing on a piece of paper means nothing. There is no guarantee he will return $200 back to you!

o

Totally agree guys. However, at some point I'll have to have the work finished. He is supposed to come back tomorrow and do the clean up - I just talked to the "interpretor". If he does that then I'll be OK. The bulk of the work is done - just the clean up is left that I've paid for. The $200 is for mulch and install - he'll get that if he comes tomorrow. We'll see...

Thanks for your support, as always! You two are super, super, super!!

gng

o

Mary, I guess I missed something in the translation. Explain what you are saying here, please:

But I'm getting a receipt for it and we both will have to sign that he owes me the money back

o

I'll give him the $200 for the mulch and install if he gets the materials and starts work tomorrow. Otherwise, not. I am asking for a receipt for all the work though. If I give him the $200, he will owe me that back. I'm not that worried for some reason; just PO'd more than anything. I've worked this business and I know what it's like to have to do major jobs like this with costs that almost meet the charge. It's pretty costly to take that stuff to the dump, so I know he's spent a good deal already. I'll compromise if I see where he is still working. But if he isn't here tomorrow to finish clean-up, I won't give him the money. So, we'll see what happens tomorrow. He has actualy done some extra work that wasn't included in the initial price, and I'm sure that is worth more than $200. He has more work to do for his friends, down the street. I'm pretty sure I can find him if I need to.

Rock and hard place with this one - it would have cost me a whole lot more to get the tree cut down by someone else (several). Both trees are down, which was the initial need. The rest is gravy. Even if he never comes back, I can clean up what he left, almost by myself. So...

Wish me luck!! Oh yeah, thanks again for caring!

o

Mary, we know you as a wise woman and a survivior - good luck on whatever you decide to do!

o

Thanks Jo...

Sometimes I'm not so wise, and "survivor", well, that's relative. I don't think I have a choice in that department. When I wake up in the morning, I just know that I can't not get up. So, I try to make it the best way I can. But, I do have friends, including you here on the SLF that help to bolster me through so much.

ANYWAY, my yard is beautiful!! At least the front. They put the mulch down and moved all the trash from the trees. I spent most of my evening raking my little heart out so the guy that cuts my grass won't break his mower with all the tree debris in the grass. It was awful. The guys picked up most of it, but the yard is still a mess - in the back. So, I'm glad of that. I'm still going with my instinct and hope that I'll get the money back. If not, it's money well spent for the things that I was originally going to get for free. Even my neighbor, who hates my house, was impressed at how good it looks with out those trees - they were UGLY!!

Something's going on with my dad and stepmom, but I'm not sure what. I got a call today from my uncle's wife saying that she couldn't reach my stepmom. When she called the nurse's station, they wouldn't tell her anything. I called and they wouldn't tell me anything either because my step-brother has POA. I'm a little more than annoyed at that. I can't even find out how my dad is doing!!!!

Hope you guys are doing OK.

o

gng,

Did you sleep good after all that exercise of raking? Now, why does your neighbor hate your house? Do they have a mansion and you don't? If so, then don't we all, LOL!

I hope your dad and step-mom are o.k. That really sucks when you can't even inquire about your own father. Did you call your step bro?

o

Eloise - boy did I sleep well. I was late getting to work!! But I needed it even without the raking. If you'll look, you'll see the time I did that post last night. It was entirely too late to be up. But, having problems going to bed - STRESS!!! My boss told me today that I should be looking for Plan B - she is. Our new VP is really making life difficult. We don't think she wants any of us there - so she can bring in her own people and also confirm herself to everyone. So, we'll see on that one. Let's just say though - not good at all. I'm too old to be considered a real candidate anywhere other that someplace 50 miles from home. That's the kicker, I'm 8 miles from home now - never had that before. Plus, I like the company. We just have a micro micro-managaing, self-absorbed, control-freak for a boss that is begining to remind me of a wicked witch! She is so much so that I don't trust her as a person. It's one thing to not trust your boss, but I don't trust her as a person - too high on herself and what she can do. No telling what she will do to prevent someone from seeing her faults. The bad thing - I think that's why she was hired!!!

The other stressor - my folks. Found out today that they are OK -somewhat. They are being moved to the other facility to have more intense care - thank Goodness! But that's not saying things will be OK but I do feel better that they can be watched. My step-mom is becoming very manipulative and they are worried about my dad's safety. So, THAT saga continues. At least they are dead and my step-mom didn't kill someone!!

Hey, I'm 139, I think.

BTW, What's going on with TNMN2???? Check in Michael when you can. Miss you, big guy!!!

o
RE: Coffee Shop VI - funnnnnn

GEOGRAPHY OF A WOMAN

Between 18 and 22, a woman is like Africa , half discovered, half wild,
naturally beautiful with fertile soil.
Between 23 and 30, a woman is like America , well developed and open to
trade, especially for someone with cash.
Between 31 and 35, a woman is like India , very hot, relaxed and convinced
of her own beauty.
Between 36 and 40, a woman is like France , gently aging but still warm and
a desirable place to visit.
Between 41 and 50, a woman is like Great Britain , with a glorious and all
conquering past.
Between 51 and 60, a woman is like Yugoslavia , lost the war and haunted by
past mistakes.
Between 61 and 70, a woman is like Russia , very wide and borders are now
unpatrolled
After 70, she becomes Tibet . Wildly beautiful, with a mysterious past and
the wisdom of the ages....only those with an adventurous spirit and a
thirst for spiritual knowledge visit there..

GEOGRAPHY OF A MAN
Between 1 and 70, a man is like Iran - ruled by a dick.

o

gng, can you retire? Don't you just hate it when someone new comes in and starts causing problems for everyone? One year, we had this woman that transferred in and was over most of the regular staff. Not over me because I worked directly under the second in command person. We didn't hit if off, and she told me "that she liked having her way". I told her, "that's funny, so do I"! She tried discrediting me, but it didn't work. As I worked with faculty, to her sly comments about me, they put her in her place and defended me. All this just because I didn't fall for her crap. Well she ended up moving on.

Read the Geography ... before, thanks.

o

Thanks Jo - no, can't retire just yet. Boy that sounds good though. I'm not sure what I'm going to do though. I really don't want to look for another job, but today when I left the office I was so sad - I don't like my work anymore. I really think I need to find a Plan B. My boss is part of the problem as well. I think I could put up with the witch if my boss wasn't around. She is VERY good, but I'm so tired of her saying that she knows everything about everyting. Oh well...

o

gng, hopefully your job situation changes for the better quickly. You know, the other thing about these bosses/managers is that they act as if they know everything, but the truth is that the employees are the ones that know and are doing the work. The bosses/managers only take the credit for it and the $$!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Single Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here