Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danmc91

stitching on shock cord

danmc91
14 years ago

I'm on the last step of a fleece pullover (Green Pepper #520). This step calls for anchoring the end of some elastic shock cord by stitching over and through it several times. This just produces an awful birds nest on the bobbin side. I've tried on some scraps where I sandwich the cord between two pieces of the fleece and get the same result. I'm using a schmetz universal 90/14 needle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

-Dan

Comments (7)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

The fabric plus the cord might be too thick for your machine to handle. The feed dogs may not be pushing the material through and it stays in one place, hence the birds nest.

In case it isn't--try this Use a jean needle. They are designed for sewing through thick material. Increase your stitch length and help guide the material through by holding the material on both sides of the needle.

If all fails take a couple of stitches by hand and knot it off. The purpose of sewing it is so the cord won't slip out of the casing.

• danmc91
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't think thickness is a problem. I've put some mighty thick stuff through this machine (old like me singer fashion mate 257) before. But, maybe the jean needle will do it. I'll give that a shot. If that fails I'll do like you suggest and just hand stitch it. One thing I'm concerned with in the actual design in the pattern is the stitching on the end of the shock cord actually holds tension because the cord only goes 1/2 way around the waist. I may just run the cord all the way around and then the stitching will just be to keep it from falling out as opposed to holding under intentional tension.

-Dan

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Oh that's the way it goes. I was thinking all the way around. I had never heard of a stress cord, but I think it must br elasticized. Like you, I would be leery of that half way stitching, anyway. The stress points would be on the seam and stitching and will either get pulled off or rip the fabric. I think I would either sew in elastic at the back or run the cord all the way around like you mentioned.

• izzie
    14 years ago

I have a winter coat with a elastic cord that goes to about the middle of the front panel on either side. It is adjustable with one of those things that the cord fits through and has a button to allow you to adjust it to what tightness you want it. Maybe you can make it adjustable, just put in a opening and have cord hang out on both sides, n the inside of coat, and put a thing one the cord on both sides..I know those things have a name, not sure what. Or, maybe just use some regular flat elastic you can sew on easier.

• buteau3rd
    14 years ago

I've been there. The only thing I could think of was to REALLY tighten the tension and some times it would work. But I think the anchoring with some hand stitches would be the best bet.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

What issie means is an adjustable toggle and thar would work, if you can find some. Check out some fabric stores.

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

My suggestion would be to fold something up like an index card (or a jean-a-ma-jig or hump jumper) until the card is high enough that your machine foot is flat and never pointed up or down. You may have to put it in front part of the time and in back part of the time. Make sure you lever is down to lower the foot, but just keep the foot level at all times.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts