Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fabrichappy_gw

Curtain Hem Dilemma

fabrichappy
15 years ago

I am working on a curtain project. I would like to use sew on rings at the top and I also need a lining and interlining as the door has a terrible draft. I am using a patterned linen, I believe damask. I am well aware of my matching needs. I will be making 2 panels. I have enough to make a dble turned 4" hem for one panel but I only have 41/2" total for the other. I have more of the same fabric, just not on the same cut. I thought about sewing on the extra 31/2" but am unsure how that will look (too bulky?). The seam would fall on the inside of the hem.I would also like to put a bias binding or a 2" contrast fabric on the sides. However, with my pattern just fitting in the space I need, lengthwise, I do not want to add 2" to the bottom. I could put a bias binding on the bottom but I am unsure of how the lining and interlining would be attached on the edges and corners. Is a bias binding ever done on the hem or would it look like I cheaped out on the bottom?

Also, I am not sure if I need to use a heading tape for stability? Lots of questions in this dilemma.Hope you can help!

Comments (4)

• bonnie-w
    15 years ago

Hi: Yes you can do a dummy hem by adding the extra fabric on the bottom. You will not see it because its folded up in the hem. You could also do the contrast fabric on the side but I would do at least 4" wide piece (2" would look cheap). Run it from the top right down to the bottom. This piece is added after the drape is made so it doesn't effect the hem. Also I would only do the center edge of the drape. Other ways to solve your length problem you could do the contrast on the bottom (no more than 1/3 of the drape length) or you could do tab tops and add length that way. Just make sure your rings are heavy enough to carry all the weight of drapes, lining and interlining.

Hope that helps, good luck.
    Bonnie

• fabrichappy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the response bonnie. You have the same birth date as my best friend, only 2 days away from mine!
    So, I love the dummy hem idea! I have more of the same fabric, just not on the same long piece, it won't look bulky with the seam in the hem? I don't think I will add the contrast color on the bottom, as the pattern fits just nice. However, I was thinking of doing a bias binding on the side edges. Do you know where the lining and interlining go together in all that? How would I handle the hem with the bias binding on the sides?
    I am really glad you brought up the point of the weight of the fabric. It is quite heavy and I was planning on using sew on rings. I don't want to change that. Maybe I should use extra? Will I need heading tape for stability?
    I appreciate any feedback! Thanks again

• bonnie-w
    15 years ago

Hi; When you do a contrasting edge you make the main drape first. So you are basicly sewing a band on a finished drape. If you want a 4" band cut the fabric wide enough to cover the finished edge plus seams. ie. the drapery fabric should fold to the back 1 1/2" so the contrast should be cut 8" (double 4") plus 1 1/2" (fold back) plus 1" (2- 1/2" seams)for a total of 10 1/2" wide. Cut it 8" longer than the finished length so you can turn under a 4" hem top and bottom. If the contrast fabric isn't as heavy as you would like you could use an iron on interfacing on it to add some weight. Fold the fabric in half, turn under the hems and sew it on the same way you would a bias tape.(covering the fold back so all you see is the lining) I would use a header tape to help keep its shape.

Hope that was clear.

Bonnie

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

Well, when I make banded sides, I always sew the bands on first, iron the seams and iron fold on the band-the desired widh, iron single fold on the bottom hem,lay the panel on the table and interlining on top of it.Make sure bottom of the interlining goes to the ironed bottom line. Even all out and finish the other fold on the bottom, use pins secure all together and blind sew the hem. Make a ham on the lining too. Lay the panel w/ interling down on the table (right side of the panel facing table,interling facing you), make sure all is even and straight. Lay the lining on top of it, hem facing down. The lining should be about 1/2" shorter than the front panel. Pin it together. Again make sure all the fabric lays flat and even. Now you do the sides. Interling and lining should be cut straight to the ironed fold of the band.So double fold the band material as you would do on the bottom, make sure the band has same widh in the back as in front and pin it every 6-8", do the other side and blind stitch it. Remove the side pins as you sew, leave bottom pins still in.
    Lay the whole panel on the table and measure your lengh from bottom up,cut straight,fold over, iron. You can add buckram if you want stiffer top or just make double ham and stitch it which ever way you prefer. Remove bottom pins.
    From my experience w/ interlining. Sometimes I sew it on the lining instead of the main panel. Depends on the fabric I use. When it comes to banding, I would not recomend bias cut unless you put something in to stabilize it- like iron on backing to prevent it from stretching and looking "wavy".
    When it comes to hem size, if you don't have enough material for 4" double, you can make smaller hem. Personally, I don't like dummy, add on piece. I'd rather put weight tape inside the ham to hang right. If you make smaller ham, make sure the ham on lining is smaller too.
    Sorry if it is confusing, or my spelling.
    Any more questions? Just ask.