Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbychickenmom

fabric sources?

Deb Chickenmom
15 years ago

Other than JoAnn's and Hancock's Fabrics, does anyone know of stores in the DFW area (or on internet) that sell fabric for clothing? Not cartoon character, quilting or fleece, but simple fabrics suitable for adult clothing?

Comments (9)

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

chick, I was at work one day and this lady customer came into the waiting room , to wait for her car to be worked on and she had the prettiest blouse on.. I told her ,"what a pretty blouse".. she said she made it.. which I might add, she did a beautiful job.. and she said it cost her just over $2.00 and she bought the fabric at WalMart.. So I have always looked at the fabric at WalMart, because you never know, when they will have some really pretty fabric on sale..even if I do not need it at that time, I put it away .. and I have collected a nice stash of fabric that way.. I usually buy at least 2 yards if it is a good buy.. Now I do not make items like blouses, but I have made little girls dresses and my grandson when he was small I made him rompers and such.. one time I found some fabric and it could be used on either side.. so I made the top which had a pocket in the front.. I made the top out of the dark side and the pocket out of the lighter side, turned out really cute.. pants and shirt cost right around $1.50.. most expensive was the ribbing for the neck and sleeves and pants legs.. so when looking a fabric.. always look at just how you can use it..
    sorry so chatty this morning.. LOL
    Huggy

• Deb Chickenmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did buy fabric for some things at Walmart. Then they shut down the fabric section of the Walmart where I usually shop. I'm trying to find fabrics like a lightweight gray wool or blend for a work skirt. Or plain linen or linen type fabric. There used to be places I could go buy fabrics like that and not have to get them online where I can't actually feel the material. The fabrics offered at JoAnn and Hancock have changed; they are mostly craft or quilting oriented. I quilt too, but would like to find fabric for clothing.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Waechter's Silk Shop (www.fabricsandbuttons.com/ above) has Brussels Washer, a wonderful linen, pricey but worth it. The Fashion Fabrics Club has lots of linen, rayon, and blends. You might want to look at tencel also; it is a natural fiber made from wood (I think) that sews up well and washes too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brussels Washer at Waechter's Silk Shop

• lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

Do you know about this place? I looked up Dallas fabric store on Google Maps and found a couple, but don't know if they're still open. The garment district here in Los Angeles has dozens of fabric and trim salvage stores from the industry. The swap meets in this area also have oceans of fabrics on certain days. The fabric dealers go to different ones each day, but will sell at the same one every Tuesday, etc. I can't find a garment district on the map of Dallas, but if there is one, there are surely outlets in the area for their left over stuff. These places probably won't show up in the web or even in a phone book. You usually have to hunt them down by asking around. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric store

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh. You have the best place to buy fabric that I know about. I live in northern Oklahoma and I go there every chance I get. It is not in the greatest part of town, but it is the best fabric shopping. It is on Harry Hines, and south of I-240. One shop is on the street and about eight or nine more stores behind it in the same block. You can park your car and walk to all of them. Just don't spend all your money in one shop until you see the others. LOL I love, love, love to go there. I think the name of the one on the streets is "Best Fabrics" and you can't leave that one without buying something, but don't miss the others behind it.

• lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

Here's a link to some of our downtown LA and swap meet sources. There's never a shortage of any fabrics here. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric District

• Deb Chickenmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all for the information. The Brussels Washer linen blend looks beautiful and I may try to buy fabric online if I can't find an actual fabric store in this area. I've been to many of the stores in Dallas on Harry Hines and also in other areas in Dallas and they all sell fabrics for drapes, upholstery, trims, etc. They are great for that sort of material and I have bought a lot of fabric there, but I did not find fabric for clothing. The link from Linda looks like they have fabric for clothing as well as upholstery, so I will call them and see what I can find out. Thanks again!

• grannygo
    15 years ago

does anyone know if they have a garment district in Houston ? if so where is it. Thank you so much

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996