Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralfsmom

polyester double knit fabric

ralfsmom
15 years ago

i have a lot of nice new double knit fabric that i have made some braided rugs out of. does anyone have ideas for other things or quicker ways to make rugs out of it? ralfsmom

Comments (5)

• krissie55
    15 years ago

Double knit makes beautiful throws to use on sofas or across bed for extra cover. Cut one piece smaller in order to turn over the other piece and hem mitering the corners (allow 1 1/2" on all sides). Do not turn under the edge.. A zig-zag stich work great. Do not add batting, makes them too heavy. You can make throws any width desired according to width of double knit.

Double knit throws wear like iron!

I have made many double knit throws for charity.

• jaybird
    15 years ago

Table cloths are wonderful if made of double knit!!
    Our church also makes large reversible bibs for nursing home use from double knit. They are well received by the homes.

• blueberrier1
    15 years ago

Make a kitchen/bath/doorway throw rug. This is washable.

Assuming you have a sewing machine that will stich thru a base layer of PREWASHED medium canvas or heavy denim and the double knit fabrics:
    (1) Cut double knit into 2-3" bias squares. 100% accuracy not required. I have used some circles as well.
    (2) Hem your canvas to rectangle/oval/other desired shape and size. My largest are about 18"x36".
    (3) Pencil stitching lines on base fabric top side. Lines should be 1/2-1.5" apart. Lines can be curved, if you feel dramatic. You can mark what color of double knit you want in a specific area or just have random placement.
    (4) Stitch the knit pieces to the base on the diagonal. I like to overlap the tips by 1/4-3/4". I stitch 1/2" from the outside edge.
    (5) One of the easiest 'designs' is to stitch a circular patterm from the center, and then finish the rest of the mat parallel. Much depends on your machine's throat space. Backstitch at edges/ends.
    (6) Additionally, if your knits are the lightweight types, tuck small pleats as you stitch. On most uses, I place a mesh carpet mat under this mat. These mats "shake out" easily. They are tough, hold lots of debris, yet comfortable to stand on if you have a stone floor. Am planning to make a mat from my silk scraps for my bathroom.
    If you desire, you can line the base of the mat. Most of mine are made on a commercial walking foot machine with #69 upholstery thread. Some were made with poly cotton thread and are still in use. If you only have a standard machine and thread, you could double stitch pieces.
    (7) Another variant I have used for lightweight double knits is to cut 1 1/2-2" bias strips, gather down the center and then stitch to the base.

Hope this is clear-e-mail if not. Happy re-purposing.

• chickadee__3a
    15 years ago

I have made many crocheted rugs from double knit fabric for our cottage. As Krissie says, double knit wears like iron. I have also made rugs from old T shirts or strips of cotton. I find crocheting much quicker than braiding.

• originaloldfolks_1_netzero_net
    13 years ago

Hi, is the double knit you have the old time fabric from the 60's, if it is you could donate it to me or sell it for a small price, I have been looking for it for a long time, please respond. Thank you