Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

How to make a pattern from an existing unusual fleece hat?

I bought a fleece hat and want to copy the style and make more in other colors to match other coats. I have a large head and have trouble finding a hat that fits and doesn't crush my hair. I can literally try on 100 hats and walk out of a store empty handed, because none will fit. This hat is unusual in that it looks like a cuffed stocking cap style: but 1) the cuffed part is extra deep, meaning it can be pulled down to fully cover my ears, 2) the "dome" part of the hat is not a hemisphere, but has a slight flare, which is why it does not crush my hair.

I am hoping I can make a pattern from my existing hat rather than taking it apart. With all the top stitching on top of fleece, it would be difficult to take apart without ruining it, and it did cost me over $ 50 in a high end store. I only paid that kind of money because it is the only hat I have found in decades that fit, and it was the only one. I know there are hat patterns, but would like to avoid the trial and error, as I KNOW this style fits. Thanks for your help!