Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

Am I the only one?

barb_roselover_in
14 years ago

I just finished looking at a tape that I had copied from "Sewing with Nancy" with Nancy Zieman. The only thing I can find to watch about sewing talks about nothing but crafts. I am not into crafts and just want to watch something about sewing methods for clothing. I would imagine that with the downturn in the economy, there are more people using their sewing machines. They used to have a lot of good programs like the ones they used to have with Sandra Betzina but I can find nothing now except quilting and crafts. Is it because I live in the Midwest or are there other sources of which I am not aware? Maybe I am wrong because there doesn't seem to be too much activity on this forum although I have gotten some good help. - Barb

Comments (6)

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Barb, I live in FL and we don't have ANY creative shows...they used to show Fons & Porter, Eleanor Burns, Alex Anderson and Nancy Zieman. Now - nothing.

I know of some online quilting sites (QNN, etc.), but I don't know if there are any sewing shows online.

Donna

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Yes it is true there are very few sewing shows on TV. They have been few and far between at any time that I know of. Any that would be on are usually carried on PBS.

While watching a show on TV may be interesting how much of that knowledge will you keep in your head. It is in the doing that you learn. Find some good books and read, and then practice what you read. The books will be there for referral when you need to know.

Most of us older, long time sewers learned from family or friends, books or trial and error. The downturn in the economy isn't going to make any more people sewers than in good times. If you are out of work, you are not about to shell out money for a sewing machine when you can shop at thrift shops, the Salvation Army and Walmart.

People on this forum can only answer questions that are asked. If you want to know and learn. Pick a project and ask questions, when you don't understand--you will get answers. You may even get walked through your entire project.

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

They only have Sewing with Nancy in my area on Saturdays.

The site I have listed be blow are tutorials from her shows. Scroll down under the black screen have many types,
    Think there are 64.

Here is a link that might be useful: Online tutorials

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I guess I found out. The sewing shows are few and far between. You are right. The only ones I have found are on the PBS station, but they mostly deal with quilting and crafts. What books would you suggest? I have several sewing books and have checked the library, but most of theirs are old. I love Threads magazine, but boy that is out of my league anymore, pricewise. I used to subscribe to it and really enjoy the comments, etc. I saved several of them and marked what I was interested in. If I find something interesting, I tape it and save the information. I don't know why HGTV doesn't have anything. I love the gardening shows. Well, thanks anyway for your comments, I guess I am on my own on this one. Barb

• akrogirl
    14 years ago

Patternreview.com is a great website that has a lot of posters who are very knowledgeable about garment sewing.

The site has tutorials available for a fee, which I haven't tried yet, but, more importantly, many people who will gladly help with suggestions if you have a fit issue or other construction problem with a pattern.

There are also reviews of various books, patterns and machines etc.

I should warn you though, that site can get you into lots of trouble ;-) I found great sources for fabric I wasn't aware of before, plus lots of good info on cover stitch machines and sergers.

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Sandra Betzina, Nancy Zieman, Palmer and Pletsch, Singer, Kwik Sew all have books on different topics and fabrics. Select ones with pictures, we are all visual.
    I know that some of the shows inspire, maybe check online for some tutorials on subjects or clothing you are interested making. Select a pattern and fabric.
    Choose either fitting or working with type of fabric book go into to it a project at a time.
    I have wasted many dollars in the past buying several books on knits or other woven projects but kept referring to only a few they all had such similar information, so I recently got rid of several.
    Threads does have some online tips for alterations and sewing specialty fabrics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Threads Tips.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions