Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_co_gw

Machine that can sew heavy and light fabric?

michelle_co
16 years ago

Hi,

My head is spinning from looking at machines, HELP! I currently have a Juki lockstick/industrial that works for most of what I sew (english saddle blankets & some other horse tack). I would like a machine that can sew breeches out of lycra & stretchy stuff and zigzag the edges and center seam of my blankets. For example, the center seam is two layers of fabric, two of heavy fleece interfacing, four layers of high loft poly batting, and two layers of flannel (pretty thick!). Oh, and for that I use a heavy thread.

Currently I use my grandma's ancient machine for simple zigzag, but it's sooooo old and slow and won't sew thick material. And it skips stitches and the zigzag settings creep out of adjustment as you sew... I want an upgrade, and she wants to use MY new machine, which is cool with me. :-)

I might like to do some basic quilting work later on, but it's not a primary function for now. Honestly, I am not used to having many stitch options so I have no idea what I would do with all the fancy stitches! I looked at the Bernina Activa 230 and it seems like pure overkill. Lovely machine, but just way too much.

Anyway, please suggest away. I would like a GOOD, RELIABLE, workhorse machine that emphasizes utility over wizardry.

Here's a completed quilted saddlepad, this was done on the Juki:

{{!gwi}}

Thanks!!!

Michelle

Comments (5)

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

For what you are doing i think industrial ones are the way to go.Don't know if you could find all you need on one machine though as industrials often have certain machines for certain things.

Other than that,i think you need something that is made very well,like the Berninas and that can handle all those stacked fabrics.

My suggestion would be to make up some sample of what it is you do and take those to the store with you as you try the different machines.That way you can see which can handle it ,and which can't.JMO
    Kathi

• merry_ann
    16 years ago

I have the Janome 6600p and it is a good, reliable, workhorse of a machine that would probably work for you. Warning this machine is portable only in the sense that Janome managed to put a handle on it. It is heavy. Your grandmother may not be able to tote it around. The earlier model (6500p) would also probably work. The major dfference (other than price) is that the newer model has a built in walking foot system, the 6500 uses a regular walking foot that you attach when you are quilting. It may be a bit fancy, but is an awfully nice sewing machine. I believe, when I bought mine the dealer told me that these machines are made for Janome by Julki.

• michelle_co
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both - after reading your posts, I did some more research and I ended up buying a used heavy duty Janome off of ebay tonight from a reputable seller (a 4500, not as nice as the 6500 but met all the requirements). It should be a good chance for me to really use the machine. If I need an upgrade next year or a good machine for light fabrics, it will not be a big deal plunk down the money on a nice machine.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• chelone
    16 years ago

What Juki lock-stitch "industrial" are you using?

You bought that machine from SOMEONE, what does (s)he suggest for the work you presently wish to perform?

Don't waste your time and money on "home machines". Sure, many of them are wonderful, but if you're going to use a machine day in/day out you DON'T want to jack-ass around with a "home machine". You need an industrial machine, END OF STORY.

Think carefully about what you want the new machine to DO. And visit dealers with samples of what you want to do. And be willing to sit and stitch. Think. And GO HOME and think BEFORE you make a choice.

If you want to crank out a "professional" product, you need INDUSTRIAL equipment, end of story! Buy the "good stuff" and don't screw around with "home" machines (most of which are grossly over-priced) IMO.

• michelle_co
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a Juki DNU-241. It was from a factory that made wet-suits, I got it in trade for some computer equipment several years ago and have used it for stitching up leather and biothane tack, etc.

Since I am making things just for myself and occasional gifts for friends, I can't see forking out thousands of dollars on a schwing-y new machine... For me, it's just an enjoyable winter hobby to make the things I wouldn't go out and buy for myself.

Cheers,
    Michelle

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County