Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spoony888

how much to charge to alter bed spread

spoony888
15 years ago

I have been ask by a friend to do alteration on bed spead, what i need to do is cut the bed spread into two halfs and sew the ends to make two smaller bed spread. how much I should charge my friend. I'm thinking about £5-£8 each one I have do, could be 30-40 pieces

Comments (7)

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

I don't know what the current exchange rates are, but I charge $20/hour for ANY sewing that I do.

Annie

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Afraid I don't understand where the 30-40 pieces come in? If it is a large spread that you cut in half, then hem both ends for a total of 4 hems - what else is there?

I agree with Annie - the UK equivalent of $20 an hour.

• spoony888
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, thats about £13-14 per hour, its seen a lot of money, how long will it take me to do one bed spread. cut into two, machine two hems. for 30-40 bed spread.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I don't think anyone here would be able to tell you how long it will take you to do this alteration. If it takes you 40 minutes, you charge for an hour or you charge 40 minutes worth. Ask yourself, what would a "professional" alterations shop charge for this job.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Most of us who do alterations have a minimum charge, too. Even if the spreads take only 40 minutes each, there's the electricity, threa, and wear and tear on the machine to factor in. I have a $20 minimum. If you are doing 30-40 bedspreads, I'd ask her to give you one spread to alter, and figure your pricing for the rest based on how long the first one took.

Annie

• theturtlelady
    15 years ago

I'd give some discount on what you figure on the fist one in order to get the entire order. They would certainly go faster as you went on, so it would work out. Also, is it a plain fabric spread or is it stuffed? In that case, the work would be more in preparing the edges, tedious and valuable in my opinion.

• spoony888
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you so much for all the good advise, I will time myself to do the first one. it should be a simple job, but sometime not realize how long it will takes to do it. thanks again.