Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RTW Crotch Length

Posted by josal (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 07 at 19:35

Does anyone have a way to lengthen the crotch on RTW pants? I have two pair of black cotton twill pants that would be more comfortable if I could add an inch to the CL. Help, please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RTW Crotch Length

Well try to move the button at the waist. See if there is any fabric at the crotch seam to let out.....probably not. I don't know of anyway to do this easily, sorry. Salena

o

Thank you, salena. I was afraid of that. So they stay in the closet as a reminder to return things that are not satisfactory.

o

Can you let out the inseam (inside leg seam) at all?

o

You might try this:
Turn the pants inside out. Now turn one leg inside the other. See the "U" shape the crotch curve forms? Try stitching a curve a little deeper than the one manufactured, say, 1/4 inch deeper, and taper it to meet the original seam at the bottom of the fly in the front, and maybe 1/3 way up the curve in the back. Trim the extra fabric, a tiny bit, because if you don't trim the fabric you won't feel the extra room you've made.

You might think that you're "taking it in" and making it smaller. Not at all. If you think about geometry class in high school, imagine you're making room for a bigger sphere. It would be a bigger circle. It doesn't have to be much bigger, to look at, to have a much larger measurement.

o

evaf, thank you, thank you, thank you. This will do the trick. I would have thought of this myself, but I dreamed my time away in geometry class and anyway, it was too many years ago. (:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here