Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riley1739

Need help with a dress please

riley17
9 years ago

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way I could lengthen this dress so it covers my knees? There is no hem to let out. Anyone have any ideas? thanks!!

This post was edited by riley17 on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 19:08

Comments (8)

• donna_loomis
    9 years ago

That's a tough one. It would be nice to see the entire dress, including the bodice. Chances are slim that you would be able to find a perfect match for either of the fabrics I see in the photo. If you will be wearing black shoes with the dress, you could add a bit of black at the hem, either material or a wide lace. I wouldn't just tack it on at the bottom, I would probably sew it on where the solid fabric is sewn to the print and make it long enough to peek out beneath the solid fabric just enough to cover your knees. And it might be a good idea to add some black on the bodice, too. Maybe at the waist.

I'm not sure, but it looks a bit sparkly. Is that gold? It might be pretty to have gold peeking out from beneath the hem, too.

• riley17
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yea, those vertical sparkly panels make it hard. :/ They're actually the same fabric as the rest of the dress, but they have red glitter over it in poinsettia flowery shapes. It's not gold unfortunately. A black belt might look nice with it if I add black fabric to the hem, up where you said so it peeks out down below. I think I will try that! Those black shoes are the ones I want to wear with it. I also need to add weights to the hem since I'm wearing it to a dance my husband is taking me to and he said when I spin it comes up way too high.

This post was edited by riley17 on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 9:14

• riley17
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the whole dress, with the jacket.

• donna_loomis
    9 years ago

I think black satin, sateen or taffeta would be a nice material for lengthening and then make a black sash to add to the waist, tied at the back or a faux waistband.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Hi - I've done this before - added several inches to the length using a sheer material in a matching shade (it's a black sleeveless dress), simply folded in half & attached around the hem, pressing & stitching the seam upwards, so as not to show. Doubling the sheer fabric made it more opaque & eliminated the need for hemming.

I used leftovers to make a shrug to tie things together, since you already have a jacket, you could make a scarf.

Or what about a ruffled petticoat that extends beyond the hem...?

• riley17
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all of the suggestions!! They were so helpful! I'm going to go look at the fabric store tomorrow. :)

• evaf555
    9 years ago

I wouldn't stitch stuff to the bottom, myself. I think it would look added on. I'd be tempted to make a black petticoat to wear under dress.

• donna_loomis
    9 years ago

Eva, that's exactly why I suggested sewing the addition to the seam that is about three inches above the hem, so it might look like a petticoat peeking out from beneath the hem.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company