Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making muslin produce storage bags

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 13, 08 at 16:56

Someone was describing to me these cloth bags used to store produce in the refrigerator in some other countries. They are supposed to make produce last longer because it can breathe and doesnt trap too much moisture like plastic bags do. Id like to make a set. Near as I can tell, undyed muslin would be a good choice. Or canvas? Anyone try making these and know more about what fabric to use, weight, etc?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making muslin produce storage bags

I've bought these, and they worked pretty well. They're just a lightweight or maybe light midweight cotton. Probably not a canvas. They'd be extremely easy to make. If you're interested in seeing some models for size (can I post this? I am not affiliated with the company or selling anything) then Reusablebags.com has some.

Here is a link that might be useful: Muslin produce bags sold online

o
RE: Making muslin produce storage bags

My girlfriends and I had a sewing bee in early December to make similar bags. We made 3 different sizes using a mosquito type netting. Cut out using rotor and cutting mat. Very efficient. 3 sewing machines operating and after 7 hours we had made 55 bags! Zigzagged edges, then casing on top w/ drawstring. For presentation rolled 3 different sized bags and wrapped w/ raffia. A nice environmentally friendly gift plus we had lotsa fun in the making.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here