Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

How to hem without showiing on right side

barb_roselover_in
14 years ago

I have a black skirt that I need to re-hem. I read somewhere (my favorite saying) about doing this so that it does not show on the right side. I believe it was an article by Sandra Betzina, but have no idea where. Can somebody explain this? Thanks so much - Barb

Comments (7)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Barb:

There are sites on line that show step by step what to do and they can explain better than anyone here in just words. Just google "hand stitching a blind hem" After you cut the hem the right length + the hem, you have to overcast the cut edge or it will ravel

• rjinga
    14 years ago

Well this may or may not be of interest (or it might not work for what you want) but I found recently at walmart a no sew hem material. It's something that is ironed on to one side, then you remove a paper on the top side, place your hem in where you want it and then iron it all together, VERY COOL STUFF. came in white and black. pretty reasonable price wise.

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the help. I turned on that video and saw how to do this. I was pretty-much doing it right, but I have arthritis in my hands and have trouble just getting that little bite. Rjinga, I remember using the stitch-witchery to do this also like that stuff you were talking about at Walmart, but I made a stiff place in the fabric. This is a black ccrepe skirt,a nd I worry abut that. Any comments? This other way used something larger than the hem, and you stitched to that. - Barb

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Barb:
    Sorry about the arthritis but I can't see how anything larger than the hem will help. However you sew it you still have to go into the material of the skirt to hem it unless you use stitch withery or some kind of glue or completely line it. I wish I could help more.

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

I don't know how you are going to do a hem that doesn't show at all on the front, but a blind stitched hem done on your sewing machine shows very, very little if you get the adjustment right. We talked about this hem in another thread named "Can someone please help me to understand this?"

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found it. This is about hemming pants. "Cut a length of crossgrain or bias-cut fusible tricot interfacing that's 1/2 in. wider than the hem allowance. If fusible interfacing isn't suitable, use a bias-cut length of sew-in interfacing, hand-tacked at the top and bottom. The width difference allows you to anchor the hem allowance to the interfacing rather than the fashion fabric. This way the hem is truly invisible." Now I can think about something else. Stuff like this nags me. - Barb

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

2 problems with this--fusable interfacing often doesn't stay fused when it's washed or dry cleaned, and sew in interfacing will have to be tacked to the garment so you'd have to take small stitches anyway.

No thanks I'll stick to doing hems my way.