Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimbercup

Purchasing a Sewing machine......

kimbercup
15 years ago

Hi. I am glad to find this forum. I really need the help of all of you sewing veterans!

I am totally new to sewing. I want to learn to make my own clothes, and clothes and for my kids ect..

Well, I didnt want to just buy your average walmart sewing machine, because that was what my sister did, and she has regretted it ever since.

I did a little bit of research on good long lasting sewing machines, and came up with a few names that I thought I would look for on ebay. Janome, Necchi, Bernina....ect

I jumped on a BUY NOW, and committed myself to purchasing one, and now I want to know if I have made a mistake!! LOL!!

I found a Necchi 535FA in very gently used condition. It LOOKS like a beautiful machine, in like new condition, but, since it is an older model, do you think I have made a mistake?? Oh, I paid 39.99 for it.

Let me know what you think about this as a beginners machine. I dont even know if it does buttonholes!! LOL!!

Thanks! Kim

Comments (9)

• kimbercup
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention that, since I love linen, I do plan on sewing using linen fabric, which I know is a bit of a heavier coarser fabric. So, this was why I wanted a machine that was heavier duty, then your average everyday low price 68.88 plastic model brother at my local walmart. (Not that I have anything against brother specifically, only know that my sister cannot sew much of anything with hers....)

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

I don't think that you can go too far wrong at that price, even with the shipping added. It does do buttonholes, BTW. These later model Necchi's aren't the same quality as the earlier ones, but that's pretty much the case with any model and it should be able to get you started fairly painlessly.

Annie

• budster
    15 years ago

Hummmmm. I can say I personally never sewed on a Necchi but have heard good things about them (especially the older ones). For that price, what can you have lost? Even if you only use it a few times......You would get more than $40.00 in my area for it as a trade in. You will have to do a few projects and really attempt to learn your machine and see if it is a fit. Take your time, have PATIENCE.....that's a big one....... and don't get turned off the first time something goes wrong. Find a "good" reasonable repair place that can help you out if you have problems.....call around for some dealers in your area....call repair places....."Do you repair Necchi machines" or "Can you tell me anything about Necchi machines" is a good opener.....I stress calling, you don't have to drive around until you find a dealer who at least seems to know what they are talking about. I hope you got a manual or some attachments.....a manual is SO worth having, even troubleshooting small problems. Remember once your machine arrives , start with something small....a potholder, apron, pillow....don't think you are going to make floor length curtains, bed shams etc. It will take a while to learn your machine and your own level of skill. HAVE FUN, sewing is such an adventure, even those of us who have sewn for years are always learning something "new" and trying new things. good luck. Budster

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

I personally don't know anything about that brand but I wanted to add if it is a good basic machine keep it and buy yourself a serger.
    I do clothing construction on a 45 year old singer, and a serger. Buying a good used machine allowed me to spend my money on something I wanted.

Also all brother machines aren't bad, just the cheapo wal-mart ones. I have a top of the line brother embroidery machine that I am very pleased with. But had a WM brother that was a piece of junk. I thought I needed an auto buttonhole feature before I bought the embroidery machine.

Good Luck,
    Susan

• kimbercup
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for the input and tips!

I plan to start out with small stuff, like you suggested. I know me, and I am the type that will gain confidence going from smaller to greater....
    I will try to make potholders first, mainly because I need them really bad!! LOL!! Then, I found the cutest apron pattern on ebay, that might be next if I feel up to it.
    So, for clothing... tell me about the serger... what is that??

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

A serger is what makes most of your ready to wear clothing. You do seams with it. You still need a regular machine for top stitching, etc. A serger sews many stitches in a minute and it overcast and trims the edge as it does the seam. You can make a pillowcase in about 2-3 minutes.

This is the inside of pants that I did and a pic of the finished outfit.
    Susan

• budster
    15 years ago

That's a sweet outfit and nice picture showing what a serger does (you should write a book with all your ideas by the way). I HAVE to ask......Is this for our resident Diva.....it's pink, and pretty and so girly girly. I love the ribbon effect on the top. KIMBERCUP - You are starting at just the right point, play with your machine, use old or inexpensive fabric, buy yourself that apron pattern, go for it! Each mistake you make and correct is a lesson learned. Do you have a sewing buddy? Someone near who can help out with advice ? A sewing neighbor, sister, whatever? Don't fret if you don't, you can l. take a short set of learn how classes 2. ask at the place you purchase either your fabric or pattern eg. Walmart - I stress asking when they aren't busy with customers 3. Don't forget about us all here......so many of the people who post have years of experience with most problems....ask and someone will come up with suggestions or ideas. This is a very friendly forum and no question is too "dumb".......if you don't get an answer, well see who on the forum has offered good advice in the past and email them ....they may have missed the post or will honestly reply "sorry I don't know". What can it hurt. I must add that I do advise you to check into some good sewing books in the library on "how to"......if you want to do potholders or aprons...or just learn basic skills there are many many books with good instructions. Also check your local thrift stores...... they usually have a few older (but still good basic instruction information) sewing books on the shelves. If you don't know where to look in the library ask the librarian to pull you a few basic learn how books on sewing. You don't need them all but just a few to begin with. Have fun, don't be discouraged and enjoy yourself. That is what it's all about.

• baltimoron
    15 years ago

Hi Kimbercup:

I just purchased this same machine from Ebay for all of the reasons you mentioned above. I wanted to see how you made out with you new machine? Are you happy with it? Anything I should look out for?

• budster
    15 years ago

For what you paid, really how can you go wrong. You will have to use it and make your own decision. If it fills all the things you want it to do then it will be a good purchase. Sorry for hi-jacking the posting but let the rest of us know how it turns out.