Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carajon

Need a sewing caddy or box for my daughter

carajon
15 years ago

I just bought my 7 year old dd a small sewing machine (the Kenmore recommended in another thread) for Christmas, and I want to get her a sewing basket/caddy/box to go with it. I have fond memories of my own childhood sewing box, which was a three-tiered rectangular box that opened out. I found a similar one made by Singer, but am wondering if it is really the most practical thing or if I'd be better off getting her a plastic caddy (like a tackle box) that our local fabric store sells. I'd really, truly appreciate any thoughts, recommendations, etc. Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Singer sewing caddy

Comments (6)

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Actually, go to the sporting goods section and get her an actual tackle box. They are built better, come in dozens of configurations and are usually cheaper than the "sewing boxes" made for women. Why does something immediately get a higher price tag because it's for a woman?

Annie

• lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

Here's a link with Plano's tackle boxes. Click on the left column 'youth/kids organizers". You'll see a cute pink tackle box there. I like their 2 sided boxes for my sewing stuff, but this is cute for a girl. WM carries some of their boxes. You may be able to order from this website or find it at a sporting goods store. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Tackle Box

• susie53_gw
    15 years ago

The tackle box is a great idea for a child. Easy to see what is there. Did you get the 3/4 Kenmore machine? We bought our grandaughter one. Also picked up a couple sewing books for her. Can't wait until Christmas morning.

Susie

• gram999
    15 years ago

I used to have some sewing items in a tackle box, but recently bought some plastic containers that hold items on one side & you flip it over & other items are on the bottom. They snap shut & can be stacked. There are many other containers to choose from.

A tackle box needs a lot of room to be "stretched out" to get things out, & I have a smaller sewing space than I used to. It does hold a lot tho.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Gram--you can find those in the tackle box section, too!

I need to take pix of the tackle box I got at Walmart this summer for toting stuff for my treadle demonstrations. The lid is made so that it's got little compartments for small stuff that you use frequently: pins, bobbins, needle threader, etc--this has it's own clear cover. When you open the lid theres a divided tray, perfect for my thread and rotary cutter. Under the tray is room for the miscellaneous stuff that I don't use so much, or is too big for the tray compartments: bottle of oil, rags for cleaning, my big shears, a pliers, etc...What I liked about this box is that it is small enough for convenience, but still holds a lot of stuff.

Annie

• carajon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your ideas! I ended up at Joanns, where they had a great sale on some cute padded sewing baskets. Not exactly as practical as a tackle box, but plenty of room for her purposes, and really cute to boot! I filled the basket and gave it to her, along with her new Kenmore sewing machine - and it was a huge hit!
    Thanks everyone for your advice.