Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bobbin keeps popping out of place

Posted by christine (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 7, 09 at 13:24

My cheap Borther machine keeps locking up. I think I figured out that the bobbin holder is coming loose and starts spinning - once the needle pierced right thru the plastic of the bobbin holder!!!

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Has this happened to you? Is there an easy fix?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bobbin keeps popping out of place

If your machine is the kind that the bobbin holder/case comes out,then you put the bobbin in and put it back in it's place,you may not be getting it in correctly so it locks into place.Play with it a little bit,and see if that's your problem.If not post a picture of your machine and the bobbin area and i'm sure someone will be able to help you figure it out.
Good luck
Kathi

o

Do you put the tail(handle) in the slot. If you don't it is not locked in. This will happen with any machine that has a bobbin case like that. Put the bobbin in and try to turn it manually if it turns you are not putting it in right.

o

Good tips from others. When the needle stuck in the bobbin case is there a burr on the case? You can use an fine emery sandpaper to smooth it, thread maybe catching on the burr and pulling the it out of place. After threading and replacing the bobbin when you draw up the bobbin thread pull it and upper thread back behind presser foot.
Remember when you start sewing to have the needle down in the fabric.

o

I've had bobbins come up on me from getting lint built up under them. You wouldn't think a little lint would cause a problem, but it can. Also, if you're using replacement bobbins, make sure they are the right style for your machine. HTH

o

So Christine,did you get the problem solved????
Kathi

o

Thanks for the info! I have actually not had a chance to get my machine out since the holidays and probably won't until after New Year's...I apologize for 'posting and running' as it were, things just got a little crazier than I expected this year.

I have taken the cover off the bobbin area, cleaned it out, and rechecked the manual to be sure I am putting it in correctly. This machine has worked for years and just started doing this out of the blue... The only thing I think might be happening is that the spring that the bobbin kind of 'bounces' off of is loose or has weakened somehow...? It seems like if I push on the bobbin in that direction, it will allow the bobbin to spin with enough pressure.

If this isn't making sense, I can take a picture...

o

my sisters brother did the same thing. you do have to have the notch nerxt to the spring on the bobbin case .her problem was the screws that hold the throat plate in place were loose allowing the bobbin case to spin i tightened them down and problem fixed ralfsmom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here