Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c__j

Bobbin keeps popping out of place

christine
14 years ago

My cheap Borther machine keeps locking up. I think I figured out that the bobbin holder is coming loose and starts spinning - once the needle pierced right thru the plastic of the bobbin holder!!!

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Has this happened to you? Is there an easy fix?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

If your machine is the kind that the bobbin holder/case comes out,then you put the bobbin in and put it back in it's place,you may not be getting it in correctly so it locks into place.Play with it a little bit,and see if that's your problem.If not post a picture of your machine and the bobbin area and i'm sure someone will be able to help you figure it out.
    Good luck
    Kathi

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Do you put the tail(handle) in the slot. If you don't it is not locked in. This will happen with any machine that has a bobbin case like that. Put the bobbin in and try to turn it manually if it turns you are not putting it in right.

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Good tips from others. When the needle stuck in the bobbin case is there a burr on the case? You can use an fine emery sandpaper to smooth it, thread maybe catching on the burr and pulling the it out of place. After threading and replacing the bobbin when you draw up the bobbin thread pull it and upper thread back behind presser foot.
    Remember when you start sewing to have the needle down in the fabric.

• noinwi
    14 years ago

I've had bobbins come up on me from getting lint built up under them. You wouldn't think a little lint would cause a problem, but it can. Also, if you're using replacement bobbins, make sure they are the right style for your machine. HTH

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

So Christine,did you get the problem solved????
    Kathi

• christine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info! I have actually not had a chance to get my machine out since the holidays and probably won't until after New Year's...I apologize for 'posting and running' as it were, things just got a little crazier than I expected this year.

I have taken the cover off the bobbin area, cleaned it out, and rechecked the manual to be sure I am putting it in correctly. This machine has worked for years and just started doing this out of the blue... The only thing I think might be happening is that the spring that the bobbin kind of 'bounces' off of is loose or has weakened somehow...? It seems like if I push on the bobbin in that direction, it will allow the bobbin to spin with enough pressure.

If this isn't making sense, I can take a picture...

• Apostle Muzamai
    4 years ago

My machine's "throat plate" you referred to is broken. Where can I find a replacement? Thank you.

• msmeow
    4 years ago

Apostle, contact the manufacturer of your machine, or a local dealer that services your brand.

• ginny hoffman
    last year

Needle shakes fast

• Jill Hornet
    last year

The first thing I would recommend is to make sure that the bobbin holder is properly secured. If it's not, then it could be causing the needle to pierce the plastic of the bobbin holder. If the bobbin holder is secure, then you may need to replace it.

• Denise
    10 months ago

Sounds like the bobbin is not inserted correctly or the bobbin holder is not in place as it should be...that would be my first two guesses.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer