Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Learning new Serger? HALP!!!!!

Posted by lazygardens (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 11:28

I bought a serger, planning to make some of these recucled sweater things, and also other stuff that just works better with serged edgers and seams.

What's the best way to start learning how to use a serger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Learning new Serger? HALP!!!!!

There are patterns specifically for serger use, usually fleece tops, etc. Also, I recommend you buy yourself a book on sergers, there are several that are very good. The books will give you tips on what your serger is capable of, basic troubleshooting tips, and lots of project ideas also.

As far as learning to use it, practice on scraps. I always sew on a scrap of fabric before I begin any project, whether on a sewing machine or serger You can get the feel for how it sews up, do you need a dif. needle etc. Knits are great in sergers, the stretch is much better than a zigzag on a SM.

Sergers are more sensitive to pulling too hard on the fabric, if you know what I mean. You can & should practice taut sewing w/a serger (and a regular SM), but if you pull too hard, you can knock it out of alignment. I always say, 'sit on your hands'. Not really, but be aware that you're only guiding the fabric through the machine, it'll pull the fabric, you don't need to help it along.

Lastly, youtube is a great resource. Last night when I couldn't find my serger manual to rethread the serger (WHERE is that dratted booklet??) I went to youtube & found a video quickly, which had me up & running again.

What kind of serger did you get? I bet once you get the hang of it, you're going to love using it. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: kwik sew serger patterns

o

make sure to read you manual you got with the serger
all the way through. so you know what the serger will do.
make sure to keep the manual and the accessories in a
safe place where you can find them easily.
never serge over a pin.
when the serger is not in use, put some type of cover
over the serger, cover should depend on the climate in
your area.
Happy Serging
Merry Christmas

o

It's a Bernina 2500DCE

I plan to read the manual and mess around with samples for a while.

o

you're going to love it. Bernina's are very good machines.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here