Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gnancyanne

Need advice about fabric dye

gnancyanne
10 years ago

(I couldn't figure out the best place to post this so if anyone thinks another forum would be better, please let me know.)

I had a pair of white jeans with a small pattern in light blue and silver that I wanted to over-dye in dark blue to make them more wearable year-round. I used a small packet of Dylon Permanent Fabric Dye in Denim Blue and one of Ocean Blue (there was only one denim at the store), and even though it isn't for the washer, I used the Rit Dye washer technique with a small load size of water for at least 45 minutes.

The dye job came out fine but looked like a medium denim--kind of like washed out regular jeans. The pattern is still visible but vague so that's okay. They're wearable but I'd rather have them darker (but not navy-ish).

What I want to know is--if I redo, should I try 1.) using a big bottle of Rit in Denim, 2.) use more of the Dylon in Denim--like 3 or 4 bags, 3.) add some black dye to either 1.) or 2.)? (I like darker denim or the blue/black denim so that's why I'm thinking about adding black.) Maybe somebody has more experience with these dyes/dyeing jeans?

--->The jeans were marked down to $9 at the Gap so I figured it was worth a try; if I keep foolin' around with dye, I'm goin' to end up spending enough that I could have bought a pair at regular price! : )

Comment (1)