Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maibonn

Looking for machine advice

maibonn
14 years ago

I have been using my Mom's machine. It's an old Singer Touch & Sew... I believe a 600e. I love this machine, but my mom is going to want it back and I have no idea where to get it repaired anymore. The last place I knew just went out of business this summer. It's for that same reason I'm not trying to find one just like it for me. But that thing is a sturdy work horse. It sews anything I can throw at it.

Now, I would like to find a machine of my own so I can my mom's back to her. I'm an advanced beginner to intermediate sewer. I tend to enjoy sewing some garments but I also very much enjoy making bags and purses. So the machine I get needs to be able to sew through several layers. I also want the machine to be sturdy and last many years if possible. (If it was the workhorse the Singer is, that would be great, but I am pretty sure that's an unrealistic goal.) But, I don't want to pay loads of money. I'd like to stay around $500 or less.

I'd been looking at the Janome Magnolia 7330 but have read that it's not great at sewing things like denim or many layers such as those found when making a purse or bag. Is this true? Is there a Janome or other sturdy brand that might better fit my needs?

Thank you so much for your help. =)

Comments (6)

• happytomato2008
    14 years ago

I worked for sewing machine mechanic and did some of the tuneups and want to say that you have to get an sewing machine about the age that you are sewing on ( your Mom's) The E-Bay has a Singer Stylist, Necchi ($49.) and a very nice Sears Kenmore 1757. The Kenmore has alot of the necessary cams for decorative sewing. The new machines are not going to do the several thickness of denium. The are not engineered to do heavy work. Just the lightweight and medium weight sewing. (hemming a mens denium jean is heavy duty ) If you are going to do the handbags you may want to look at an industrial machine. Those are selling cheap now as the factories that were using them have gone over to China, India, etc. It is a worthwhile investment. I own three Ind. myself. One is a Pfaff Zig Zag. I paid $35. for the "head." It will sew heavy canvas,boat tops, etc.
    These older machines,like the one you are sewing on , now are selling for more that it orginally sold for at the dealerships in the U.S.!!

• birdtalker
    14 years ago

some months ago i bought a Janome/kenmore 19606 from ebay for $399+ free shipping. Love it. I have made a lot of bags on it some made from denim jeans and had no problems at all. I also make things that are knit material and flannel. I have something like 500 stitches which i find useful for decorating things. Give it a look.

• johnr55
    14 years ago

In 30+ years of sewing I have found that so much of the time that people have trouble with sewing through thick, it is because they are not using the appropriate needle. I have sewn bags, totes, etc. on small portables as well as full sized machines. It is important to use denim needles, pref Schmetz. Vintage machines, with all metal gearing, will do them easily, but may not have all the convenience goodies e.g.needle threading, etc., that you want. If you don't need those and like Singer, get a pre T&S; they have metal gearing but of course they will also need oiling, a simple procedure. One of those will outlast you, and do you heavy work.

• nightangel
    14 years ago

I have 4 machines I use. A Bernina 930 which I use the most, a Viking D1 that is used for embroider, a Modern Home machine which is strictly a straight stitch and a Singer Futura. The first two i bought brand new and the second two I bought at thrift stores for under 15 dollars each. They are all good solid machines. Keep an eye out at the thrift stores and consider an older machine. Sometimes they need to be serviced but they generally are much better quality than the newer machines. I also have a singer serger that I have used more than 4 or 5 times because it's noisey and not what I thought it would be.

• ranchers_wife
    14 years ago

Do you have an owner's manual for the 600e?? I have lost mine and need to know what the correct dial setting is to sew a ziz zag pattern. Thank you so much!!

• sherwoodva
    14 years ago

I brought my Kenmore in 1974 and have only had it serviced once. I don't use it as much any more, but it still works fine. I like the older machines better because they will sew over pins (the newer machines will not). I have a Baby Lock serger that I brought in the '80s. It is a pain to set up the threads, but it works fine.

I agree with the others, an older machine is better.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations