Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Layouts Question

Posted by pattie33 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 07 at 9:53

Could anyone explain to me why my cutting layout says to put the sleeve and bodice back pattern printed side up, but the bodice front printed side down? And same for skirt - they want the skirt front printed side down and the skirt back printed side up.

What's the reason?

Won't that make the front showing the wrong side when I sew it?

I'm confused LOL

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Layouts Question

Are they cutting it on seperate fabric pieces?

o

Pattern layouts are usually laid out to use the smallest amount of fabric possible. If the pieces are symectrical it will make no difference which side of the pattern is up when you cut them out. If the back is on the fold and the two fronts are alike then you are OK. A more experienced sewer might not choose to use the recommended layout, but if you are new to sewing then it is the safest way. Sewing them together will not be different.

o

Not sure why they print it the way they do sometimes (possibly has to do with grain and/or continuation of the grain from front to back?), but you are just pinning the pattern to the fabric with the pattern piece printed side down.
You are still cutting all the fabric the same way just as you will still be placing right sides together to sew.
HTH
Cathy

o

thanks for the info, I feel much more assured now.

I made a skirt in home ec class about 5 years ago, we never got into details of "why" things are done a certain way.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here