Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimpa600

Broken zipper problem

I keep finding that zippers will fail on some of our coats and I want to try to fix them instead of throwing the whole coat away.

Sometimes the material attached to the metal piece that goes into the zipper pull will start to rip. This makes the zipper sides not match and it won't zip up right. Does the zipper need to be replaced or can it be repaired?

One of our coats has lost its metal piece that goes into the zipper pull and the material is frayed there too. Replace the zipper?

Ripping out the zipper will be a challenge. Any tips to make it go faster? Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (4)

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Sometimes the material attached to the metal piece that goes into the zipper pull will start to rip. This makes the zipper sides not match and it won't zip up right.

Do you mean the lining of the jacket or coat is catching?? If so,zip it up or down just enough to get the lining loose.Once that is done,unzip it all the way.It may be that they left the lining a little too big,which causes it to get caught.If this is the case you can just fold it back against itself to keep it away from the zipper and hand tack(sew) it back.

One of our coats has lost its metal piece that goes into the zipper pull and the material is frayed there too.

The metal piece is called a zipper pull,and you can buy these at any fabric store,not sure if walmart carries them,but you can check.No sewing involved in that one.

Ripping out the zipper will be a challenge. Any tips to make it go faster?

Buy yourself a seam ripper at wal mart,or any sewing/fabric store.This will make taking the zipper out a lot easier.

Now my question to you,do you know how to sew,and do you have a machine?? If the answer to either is NO,then take your coats to any dry cleaners and have them put new zippers in for you.Should cost between 12 and 20 dollars,i think,and well worth the money if the coats are still in good shape,and it's much cheaper than new coats.HTH
    Kathi

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Kathi, Thanks for responding. I wish I knew how to post pictures on these forums to make things much clearer. There are instructions but I don't even know how to use our digital camera yet! I will work on this next year.

But the good news is that I do know how to sew (but there is always much more to learn). I wrote "Sometimes the material attached to the metal piece that goes into the zipper pull will start to rip. This makes the zipper sides not match and it won't zip up right". I meant the other side of the zipper, not the zipper pull side. You insert one side of the zipper into the other side and then zip it up. The 1/2 inch long metal piece at the bottom is becoming detaching from the material.

I just bought a curved blade seam ripper and already have the regular kind. I also bought the new zipper. But ripping out is time consuming for me and then all those little threads left over. Maybe tape will help to get the threads out.

Most of my sewing lately has been repairs and I do love the fix things. My neighbor took her kid's coat to the cleaners for a new zipper and they said $50. The coat was not worth much more than that so she tossed it. The coat zipper I am talking about should be an easier one but the next coat I need to do has a placket under the zipper and will take more finesse. One at a time.

• kathyg_in_mi
    16 years ago

Hello,
    Yep, when that little metal piece at the bottom of the zipper starts to let go of the fabric, you do need to replace the zipper. It is a tedious process, but can be done. When my kids were small I would replace zippers to save myself some $.
    Once, an elderly gentleman asked me how much would I charge to replace a zipper in a pair of his pants. (Trust me, it's work) I told him $30, he said I could buy a new pair of pants for that! (of course you could) Well, his wife thanked me. Seems those pants are probably 25 years old and she would like to see them gone.
    So, it is a good skill to have, even tho it can be tedious.
    Put an old movie on, grab your seam ripper and start ripping. You can do it!
    Kathy G in MI

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got half of it done. Made a few mistakes but all is good! Thanks for the encouragement, Kim