Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamweaver1019

3XL-6XL Patterns

dreamweaver1019
18 years ago

I have some larger relatives I wanted to sew for but cannot find patterns in these sizes, especially for men. Does anyone have any patterns in these sizes they could somehow share w/me, or direct me to a website that I could order them through. Thank you so much, and an early Merry Christmas to All. Marsha

Comments (8)

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

go to google and put in : 3x to 6x sewing patterns for men and women.There are about 20 different companies to get them from.HTH
    Kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Sorry,i took a closer look,not all are sewing patterns,but some are,and as you scroll thru that site that says sewing patterns,you'll see some that say they have 32 sizes in the envelope.
    KATHI

• nancynancy
    18 years ago

I'm just starting to sew, but I've been doing a lot of research on patterns, and I found two companies that provide custom sized patterns in very different ways.

Unique patterns charges $30 per year for membership, stores one set of your body measurements and will send you customized patterns for any McCalls or Butterick pattern you buy. If you want to make a garment for someone with different measurements, you'll have to pay an additional fee. Incidentally, for $100 you can have your body computer scanned at one of a dozen body scanner centers in the U.S. Of course, you can also have a friend take your measurements for free.

In contrast, Wild Ginger sells software that will allow you design your own patterns to fit your body (or anyone else's body). There are about eight different categories (casual jackets, classic blouses, etc.), and each allows you to mix and match style options like buttons, zipper, sleeve length and fit (sleek vs. ease). You can print the pattern on your computer using consecutive sheets of paper which you piece together for your pattern.

I haven't tried either service, but I think the Wild Ginger option is the way to go. I'm 53 years old and a petite size two with narrow shoulders, a short waist, and long arms and legs. Finding simple, youthful but classically styled casual clothes that flatter my figure has become almost impossible during the past two years. Anything that fits looks like it was designed for a twenty year old with a pierced navel. I hope as my sewing skills improve, I can order the Wild Ginger software and design the sleek warm up jackets and black yoga pants I can't find any more.

• nancynancy
    18 years ago

Oops. I forgot to add the link:

http://softexpressions.com/software/wear/#clj

The price is $23 per category (Casual Jackets; Classic Blouses, etc.)

• dreamweaver1019
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I want to thank the ladies that responded with very good information. I will definitely be using this info immediately. Have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year!! Sincerely, Marsha

• glassquilt
    18 years ago

I was able to take a pattern making class at the local college. I can make a pattern from body measurments but even better I can make changes to store bought patterns. I never did understand alterations.

• dreamweaver1019
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you glassquilt for the suggestion, I will check at our local college and also the technical college we have here to find out if such a class is offered. Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!! Marsha

• liza070831
    18 years ago

have you looked at Burda patterns they sometimes go up to 5x I sew for big girls too. Have fun