Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bixll

Thread advice

bixll
16 years ago

Hi all, I need some guidance on thread. I recently purchased my wife a serger for Christmas. I have no idea what it i for, but she has wanted one for years. My question is, I want to buy her a assortment of thread for it, but I am wondering if there is any difference in thread? Can I just get it at Wal Mart, or should I go to a fabric store or something???

Comments (6)

• sai_in_id
    16 years ago

Hi bixll,

I've owned a serger for 20+ years and I've always bought thread at Walmart and have never had a problem with it. I buy the large spools of white (3,000 yds) I believe. I have the spool discs to use the smaller thread sizes but never use them.

(A serger sews seams up just like a sewing machine but it also cuts the material and gives it a nice finished edge.) She will LOVE it!

Susan

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

She will need some colored serger thread also, black or navy, neutral tan, maybe red. Remember to get enough spools for the machine you have bought. Serger thread is different than thread for a regular sewing machine.

• bonnie-w
    16 years ago

I would suggest that if you have a Joannes in your area go there. The prices are reasonable. You need 4 cones of each color for the machine to work. Get 4 cones of each of the basic colors. Black, white and beige.

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

While it's true that serger thread is different from regular sewing thread, you *can* use regular thread in the serger. It's generally more expensive, so not cost effective, but can certainly be done.

One thing you can do is blend colors, so instead of 4 cones of exactly the same color, you can blend gray with colors to tone them down. I always use 4 cones of white, cream, black and navy, but I frequently blend other colors. Gray is especially useful for blending.

• soonergrandmom
    16 years ago

Thread for the sewing machine is 3 ply thread and for the serger you normally use 2 ply thread. I agree about buying as many spools as you need (4 if a 4-thread serger) in basic colors like black, white and maybe eggshell, but for the other colors you can save money by just buying spools for the needle threads. The looper threads can be one of the black, white of eggshell spools. Just pick the one nearest the color of you fabric. Sometimes it is hard to find large spools in the exact color of your fabric for the needle threads and you may need to use the smaller spools of sewing machine thread to get a good match, but sewing machine thread for the loopers makes the seam too thick.

• kathyg_in_mi
    16 years ago

Hey bixll!
    Did your wife like the serger?
    Kathy G in MI, whose serger is in getting a long overdue tune up.