Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sai_in_id

Looking for a new Sewing Machine

sai_in_id
16 years ago

My husband offered to buy me a new sewing machine for christmas. We've been looking at the combo units and just can't decide what to get. After reading a lot of info on the embroidery forum, I think I've been officially scared away from those. Everyone mentions the hobby is SOOO expensive and I do live on a budget. There also seems to be loads of problems anywhere from software program to getting the design to stitch out nice on the fabric.

My question: Does anyone have any suggestions on a good quality sewing machine for a couple hundred bucks? I'm smitten by all the fancy stitches that I've seen on the combos (ie. Brother SE270D, Singer CE-150). I was looking at spending $500 for the combo. I sew a variety of things: clothes, quilts, accessories, etc. The feather stitch has always been a must for binding the quilts.

All my research was done on the combo units and I am just too tired to start researching over (I've spent 2+ weeks on this!), and Christmas is VERY SOON. :) I haven't touched my genealogy in 3 weeks, which is amazing (obsession #1)! So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to read them. I currently own a Necchi 522 that's almost 30 years old.

Thanks for the advice,

Susan

Comments (21)

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Can you get your mind around spending $500 for a decent computerized sewing machine (no embroidery functions) that has a lot of programmed stitches? If you enjoy sewing and you were willing to spend that much for a combined machine, I'd say go ahead and spend that amount on your new machine.

Look at Janome, Bernina, Viking, Pfaff, Brother, Kenmore, and Baby Lock brands. Also be willing to look at used machines tuned up and with a warranty from the dealer. You can often find machines that are gently used because the original customer wanted to trade up to a fancier model. Above all, find a good dealer who will train you on your new machine and provide answers to any questions you have.

Teresa

• sai_in_id
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Teresa,

Thanks. I've been to the Janome dealer and I don't think they had anything under $1,500. I'm nervous about buying something online and having problems. I've also read that Bernina is expensive to buy any accessories for. So I wasn't sure what else to look at / for.

The dealer that seemed to have the most variety in knowledge and machines is about 1 1/2hr drive away. And I would hate to drive all the way there without all the insight on the machines.

Susan

• bonnie-w
    16 years ago

Susan
    I agree with Teresa your support team is almost as important as the machine itself. If you don't know how to use all the functions on it you are not getting your moneys worth and not having as much fun with your machine as you should.

Personally I have a Pfaff (2144) and love it. I would suggest :Pfaff, Babylock, Bernina, or Kenmore. (in that order) I would stay away from Singer or Brother, there quality is not what it used to be. Also I would not buy one at Walmart

Hope that helps
    Bonnie

• sai_in_id
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Bonnie. I'll call the dealers again today and see what used machines are available. Since this will be my ONLY present under the tree this year, I would really like to find something! And I'd really like to get something else accomplished during my days besides surfing the net!

Thanks,
    Susan

• cmc_97
    16 years ago

Janome, like most manufacturers, does make machines in a variety of price ranges, not just those $1500 models. It depends, of course, on what features you want.

A used machine can provide very good value for the money you spend; more features for the buck, as it were.

Concentrate on the features you want, whether you decide to buy new or used. If that $1500 model has the features you want, then look for a similar model in a used machine. What were they selling that had those features 5 or 10 years ago?

The supply of used machines at my dealer varies, depending on who has traded in machines recently. Christmas time might actually be a good time for trade-ins as sewers upgrade to fancier machines.

I have several Pfaff machines, but Pfaff is not the only good brand out there.

CMC

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

If you can't find a good used machine (and I echo the desirablity of good dealer support), I'd suggest you take a look at the Viking Emerald 116. Basic model with Viking quality.

In my area it's about $300

Here is a link that might be useful: Viking's site

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

Yes, embroidery is expensive and addictive. It's a lot of fun, BUT, after you've bought the sewing/embroidery machine, you need software to get designs from your computer onto the machine. The software that Viking/Pfaff etc sell is very expensive. Embird is less expensive, the basic program is about $130, but then you have to buy add on programs if you want to do lettering, or see your designs in jpeg formet, or any number of other features. And Embird does take a while to learn (I'm in the process right now).

Then the designs are expensive (although there are free designs out there). Then you need embroidery thread (more expensive than regular thread), bobbin thread or pre-wound bobbins, and stabilizers. You need different stabilizers depending on the fabric.

It really does add up fast. I bought three spools of embroidery thread yesterday. They were 5.95 each and I had a buy2 get 1 free coupon.

Then once you are thoroughly hooked, you discover that the design you MUST have needs a bigger hoop. Extra hoops are very expensive.

so unless you are prepared to shell out $$ continuously, I'd stay away from machine embroidery, at least for the time being.

• sai_in_id
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to CMC & zone 8grandma. I've spent all morning on the phone with different dealers - wow can some of them talk! And the guys did loads more talking than the girls! Anyway, the few dealers that there are in my area have the following:

used Bernina #802 for $350,
    used Bernina #1010 for $550,
    used Pfaff 1473 - still hasn't called me back with a price,
    used Pfaff 2140 $999 - I'm drooling again ;)
    Brother Project Runway - Novis40 for $300 and Novis80 for $500,
    Huskystars combo for $699 or Huskystars c20 for $499.

I guess I have a boat load of homework to filter out what would work the best for me. I would still love to do the embroidery but it does sound like a hobby that is more costly than I would be able to afford.

Thanks for all the imput. I'll plug away and let you know what I come up with. And I'm assuming I need to hurry because someone else might snatch them up! I'm off to get dinner done and the son to his choir concert!

Thanks again! You've all been very helpful,
    Susan

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

Although I own Vikings, I don't think you can go wrong with a Pfaff, Bernina, or Brother. They are all good machines.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Ya know before they had all these machines that do the embroidery,we did what is called "Free Motion embroidery".I took classess in it in the late 80's.You may be able to find classess on free motion at Quiltuniversity.com,and /or google it.
    Kathi

• sai_in_id
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ahhh, back from the concert and a moment to relax, hahahaha. Thanks zone 8grandma. It seems that the dealers liked to bash the other guys and it makes it hard to know which is really a good machine and which isn't. One of the gals I spoke with three weeks ago said to stay away from Brother brands and Singer, who also happens to own Viking and Pfaff!

Thanks Kathi for the "free motion embroidery" tip. My Necchi has the option of dropping the feed dog but I've never ventured to use that - didn't know what to do. I'll have to play with this technique and see if I like it. It certainly wouldn't hurt to add another skill under my belt. :)

Maybe someday I'll find something to do that I could make money at and have fun to boot!!! Now off to compare those machines before they're all sold out and I have to open an empty box on christmas morning!

Thanks,
    Susan

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Sounds like you are doing your legwork to find the machine that is right for you! Good for you!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the models you are checking on. Another feature to ask about is "needle up/needle down" - a little thing that can make sewing easier and more precise. This is the capability to have the needle stop in the upper range or down in your fabric when you lift your foot off the pedal. Much easier to turn corners and adjust your work with the needle down.

You will like the ability to drop the feed dogs on any machine so you can do free motion quilting.

I loved my Viking 450 that I sold to my niece a few years ago. It had a number of decorative stitches and ran like a dream. It was a gently used machine when I bought it.

Teresa

• loganhogan
    16 years ago

Susan,
    I just wanted to add that yes, starting up with embroidery is expensive; however if you can monogram a few things for friends co-workers etc and charge them a little less than what monogram shops do you can support the habit.
    We we're talking today about when I bought my machine. I bought it used and I was lucky in the fact that my Mother has the machine 1 model yr newer so everything was interchangeable and she already had supplies. Long story short, I paid for a $1200 dollar machine before the credit card bill came due. Doing some embroidery and regular sewing.
    We get all of our supplies on half price notions days and we order our thread on-line and get huge spools for a little more than the little spools cost at the fabric store.
    Good Luck,
    A Susan too!

• sai_in_id
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Teresa and Susan! I keep going back and forth on axing the embroidery machine. It's become a very tedious chore to try and decide. I spent a couple more hours this morning looking at the different models and had somewhat narrowed the field down to the Viking Lily 545 (used for $500 and NO warranty) or the Huskystar c20 and em10 for $700 (new w/ warranty), until...

I had to run into Idaho Falls today so I took a spare moment and stopped off at the Bernina dealer who had the Lily 545 (same dealer that had the Berninas 802 & 1010). After talking with the wife, she had me looking at the Babylock creative pro for $450 (new). I only had a few minutes to look at it but brought back a brochure to pour through.

After mulling it over I think I'll go for a new machine that has the warranties instead of an "as is" used. I'm concerned about the computer brain going out. It's bad enough when mine goes!!! Any thoughts on that?

I have one other place to contact, hopefully tomorrow, where I may be able to get a Huskqvarna ?? for $300. I need to find out which model it is. Hubby found out that he might be able to get me an employee discount through work - who knew?!? Anyway I need to find out which model, etc. The only drawback is that the company is in Salt Lake, Utah. That would mean the same as ordering one online to me - no free lessons, shipping machine if there were ever any problems, etc, etc.

Any thoughts / suggestions??

Thanks,
    Susan

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Susan,
    I wouldn't worry too much about the business being in Salt Lake City. If you are buying a used H. Viking for about $300 and it is in good working order, all you will probably need is a yearly tune-up that can be done by any service person familiar with computerized sewing machines. And don't worry that much about troubles with the computer. They rarely occur; if I have a problem or a funny noise, I just cut the machine off, let it sit a few minutes, then cut it back on and I am good to go. Husqvarna Viking machines are very good quality and I don't hear much about anyone on our Quilting Forum having trouble with theirs.

If you go to SLCity to try out the Viking, ask lots of questions about routine operations, use of any decorative stitches, taking out the bobbin case to dust underneath (something that should be done often), programming stitches if there is that capability, and other things in the manual that you think important to you. Be sure to test "drive" the machine at the shop before you buy to see if it's feel suits you.

It is not advised to take apart a computerized Viking machine, but let a service person do that at your yearly tune-up. However, you do need to know where and how to clean thread lint out of the bobbin case and under it.

Ask if there is a video tape on the use of the model if you decide to buy it.

Ask any questions here that you might have! And try to find out the model of Viking that you are interested in so you can do some research on the internet. FWIW, I have never heard any person be disappointed by buying a Viking. I have had two: a 450 model and now my Quilt Designer.

Teresa

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

Susan,
    If you do end up getting a Viking, here is a website that has a LOT of helpful information. I especially recommend the tip on maintenance (it has pictures and great instrutions)

I have no connection to the lady who runs it, just a great site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jan Henning's site - Viking info

• sai_in_id
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks zone 8grandma! That site is fun!

Thanks Teresa, I have always cleaned out under the bobbin area, however, I've never had my machines given a yearly checkup. Never knew to.

I forget which Janome I test drove now, but I've noticed that the Huskystar C20 is VERY similar, except for price. The Huskystar is $500 and the Janome is $1400. Can anyone tell me if they are a good machine? I read somewhere not to get the Huskystars because they're a cheap imitation of Viking. Viking machines are made in Sweden and the Huskystars are made in the Orient. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

I tried calling Carol's Viking Sewing Center on Saturday. I spoke with one of her employees who thought the machine I was talking about was the Emerald 118, but would have Carol call me. She hasn't yet and I've checked out that machine and it cannot be the right one. The one my husband's work uses must do the alphabet because I know he had his name "embroidered" on his clothes. So I'll have to wait to see if she calls me in the next few days. I'm very curious to see if that machine is the C20.

As for getting a machine for Christmas it looks like it won't happen just yet. Still don't have all the info DH (dear husband, right?) needs before we take the plunge ($$). And with him working 12+ hours a day right now, he can't really devote the time to check out the machines. I'm guessing that this'll be my last machine and I don't want to rush into it just because there's a deadline for a present! Anyhow, I have somewhat decided that the Huskystar C20 does what I want, I just need to make sure it's a good machine.

So, I'll be off today to try to find a sewing foot pedal for my Necchi so I can at least use my machine. I jumped the gun in offering my mom's old sewing cabinet to my sister because I had mine in the shop to get tuned up and have them put a foot pedal on (my dad removed my foot pedal years ago to hardwire into the cabinet). Now I have a nicer cabinet and need a foot pedal back on it so it'll fit in the cabinet AND be portable.

Thanks for all the info!
    Susan

• sai_in_id
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi! Ok here's the scoop. Carol called me back and she recommended the Emerald 183. She told me that the Huskystar C20 is a discontinued model and I would not want to go that route. Does anyone have or know of this machine? Is it a good one?

Thanks,
    Susan

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

I have no personal knowledge of the Emerald 183. Maybe the Viking website would help. This lists all the features.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viking Emerald 183

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Susan,
    The Emerald 183 looks like a very good machine! It will do just about anything you want to do except the embroidery function. This looks similar to my 450 model I had a few years ago, comparing the features.

I would not have any hesitation to recommend this model to you.

Teresa

• sai_in_id
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, grandma and Teresa! I'd already been to the Viking website and just wanted to know if anyone had this machine or knew if it was a quality machine. I'm sure it'll be better than the Walmart brands!

I took my machine into the Bernina store up here and was able to get a foot for my Necchi. While I was there Gary still "urged" me to by a new machine and to make sure I check with him before I just bought the first thing that came along (didn't listen very well since I'd told him I'd been researching!).

He said that each machine may have the same stitch but may call it a different name. So I told him that the capability I was looking for was to be able to create my own "stitch pattern" and have the ability to do mirror image. He got on the web and checked out the Huskystar C20 to see what I was talking about, and then told me point blank that I was not going to be able to have that feature in a "quality" machine for $500. (car salesman!)

He took me over to his machines and showed me the two that were "close" to my price. He showed me the Babylock Decorator's Choice ($950) and the Quilter's Choice ($1150). Of course I did not share with him that I'd found the Emerald 183 for $499!

So, I think I'll just forgo having a local dealer with the "free" lessons and ship the machine if there's ever a problem - I assume you take the machine back to the dealer you purchased it through to get the warranty stuff? If you dont then I do have a Viking dealer (1 1/2 hrs away). Anyway, I've passed on the "choice" to the DH and we'll see what happens!

Thanks for ALL your help!

Susan