Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proud2bagranny

What are you all making now? Winter or Spring?

Proud2BAGranny
12 years ago

I am in need of ideas to "get back into crafting" I used to craft all the time, but other than making quilts for family members for christmas this year, I have gotten away from crafting. And anxious to get busy again

What is everyone doing or plan to do this winter?

TFS

Comments (12)

• new-beginning
    12 years ago

actually, my sewing/craft room is in the process of being moved from one house to another so I am not doing any sewing/crafts at the moment; what I am doing is searching for a shelving system (with adjustable shelves) that stands on the floor for all of my fabrics. Then I'll need to make some sort of 'cover' to prevent fading.

My first project will be to make Warm Windows 'shades' for the windows on the West side of my home (I have four windows facing West). After that I'll make a baby quilt for my nephew's baby boy due in February.

Then I'll make slip covers for my lounge chair and love seat. After that - who knows?

Carolyn

• kathyg_in_mi
    12 years ago

I've got most of a "rag quilt" cut out. Also making more "click" bags for gifts thru the year. I made 22 last time (October) and I think I only have 3 left.
    I made a fall jacket, but need to rip out the side seams and rethink it. I've been kind of putting that off.
    Kathy G in MI

• sheesh
    12 years ago

Hah! Kathyg, I know what you mean. I made myself a winter coat, and it's too big! I am putting off remaking that one. I matched the plaid perfectly, too. Rats! That's what I get for not making a shell first. I never would have made a coat for one of my kids that was too big. I was being lazy, and this is what it got me.

Do you sew garments, proud2beagranny? That's all I sew, so no help to you.

• Proud2BAGranny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shermann, Yes, I do make garments. When my kids were young, I made a lot of their clothes, as well as make clothes for my grands. Right now I am in the process of making a pattern for scrubs. I have several people in my family who work in a hospital or other facility that wear scrubs, so I decided to make a few and see how it goes.
    Good Luck on your jackets, hope they turn out good for you both. And I hope your window coverings and baby blankets turn out great.
    I had my grands all week, so wasnt able to get into making anything I plan to start after the holidays, but we did refashion some doll clothes and make some new. And we did do some easy bake cookies. LOL!
    I also crochet, and made 2 afghans for my neighbors girls before christmas. And I saw another afghan pattern I really liked, so I got the yarn for that and started it last night. That is something I can do even while grands are here at night or in the early am before they wake up.
    Well, hope everyone had a good christmas and Happy New Year

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I've got some flannel laid out with a football theme to make my GS some PJ pants,and some plaid flannel to make a pair for either myself or my GS"S GF.Havn't decided on which one of us it will be yet.

When i get off of here i'm going to kit up a couple cross stitch items i want to do.

I really need to get back to my sewing machines,i'm sure they miss me.LOL,LOL
    Kathi

• susie53_gw
    12 years ago

I have 6 little granddaughters from ages 2 to 10 that all have birthdays starting in February. I make them each sundresses. I used to craft all the time but haven't done much in the past few years. My hands don't work like they used to. Darn Ole Arthy has snuck in...

• new-beginning
    12 years ago

purchased material for grand-nephews quilt and (drum roll please) bought wire shelving system for all my material - now to get guy friend to assemble it for me - still need to paint room which will be my new sewing/craft room (maybe Saturday?)

• new-beginning
    12 years ago

trimmed selvage off/squared up/cut out squares from five different fabrics for grand-nephews quilt - decided on what order to sew fabrics (these will finish out as 8" blocks of fabric).

Hope to attach them in rows,(six rows of five) by Wed PM, then sew rows together by Friday.

Will need to go next door and retrieve my Ott light first (new sewing room has really pretty ceiling fan but terrible light kit for sewing!). Also need to retrieve batting from next door.

• new-beginning
    12 years ago

TFS - look over on the quilting forum for a tutorial by Caroline1947 for a "hot bowl" (sort of a hot pad for a bowl) - it is really cute and looks to be pretty easy to make (and useful also).

CM

• finchelover
    12 years ago

I am working on a birdhouse quit,but since I get cold around my shoulders I am hunting for a free pattern I can sew,most seem to be knitted for crochet. I am thinking of using a tree skirt pattern,any ideas

• new-beginning
    12 years ago

I made a really cute "poncho" out of fleece several years ago for my SIL - I feel reasonably certain it could be made shorter and be split up the front rather than slipping on over ones head. If you think that might work for you I'd be glad to post/send you the info

CM

• donnar57
    12 years ago

I've just finished up a batch of stage costumes for our elementary school play -- mostly 1800's style dresses, aprons and pinafores. I'm glad those are done.

My daughter is expecting her first baby next month. So I made a little sundress, bloomers (diaper covers) and matching hat in what I think should be a "6 month" size. I also did a little cloth ABC book, made with those preprinted panels. However, in making that, I threw the tension off in my machine. So off it went to the shop this week, which meant that the little baby quilt wasn't going to get finished.

That's what I'm working on now -- a Winnie the Pooh baby quilt. I've got another cloth book cut out, but I've learned not to use the thick Pellon with it! The quilt should match the stroller/car seat combination that we bought for baby (and parents) for Christmas.

Baby granddaughter will probably be the focus for the next few years, along with some adventure-some costumes here and there. (We're doing Little Mermaid next, so I'm sure we'll be sewing up some fish and other sea creatures.)

Donna