Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathyg_in_mi

Make your own Shopping Bags

kathyg_in_mi
15 years ago

I just made my first one! It is so great, plan on making some for Xmas gifts, can't wait to dig down into my stash and see what fabrics fit what people on my list.

I got the site from this forum quite some time ago, don't know who to thank, but a big thank you to someone!!!

The bag turned out great, I'm so pleased. And the next one should go a lot quicker!

Kathy G in MI

Here is a link that might be useful: Grocery bags

Comments (9)

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

That's a great bag! Thanks for sharing!

Annie

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

Aren't these wonderful? I found that link last year I think and I've been sharing it with anyone who will listen, I know I've posted it at the quilting forum and the Kitchen Table. I keep one in my car at all times and I intend to make a set of 6 or so once I find a couple of sheets that I really like, to save money on making them. I refuse to buy the stores' bags because they're so ugly and I can make my own.

And they make wonderful gifts. Everyone seems to love them. I made one for a classy friend in a faux suede and it just suits her so nicely.

• gram999
    15 years ago

Thanks for the instructions. I made one yesterday & used it today. I plan on making lots more for myself & others. Having it lined makes it nice & sturdy. What a nice way to ge rid of fabric I've had for YEARS.

I searched for shopping bags & thought this was the best pattern.

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've made about 30 bags so far, have another 10 cut out, then I'm done for a while. Great gifts!
    Kathy G in MI

• gram999
    15 years ago

I've made 5 so far & have several more cut out. I took them to a friend & she said, "what cute purses". So one I made out of Christmas fabric will be my purse for the season. You could put pockets on the inside if you want it for a purse.

I had a striped fabric & didn't have enough for the length so I cut a strip & sewed a strip of crosswise stripe to the lengthwise strip. It looks like it was planned. Now I'm looking at my fabrics to see what 2 I can use together.

I didn't sew the pocket on. I'm sure I wouldn't take the time to fold them in the bag. They fold flat nicely. They're actually fun to sew.

I always cut patterns out of light weight interfacing if I'm going to use them a lot. It dawned on me after my 4th bag to cut the pattern out fully (not a half pattern that has to be put on the fold. That way I can cut my fabrics to length & stack them & cut both the main & lining fabrics at the same time. I use a rotary cutter except for the curved seams.

• jomuir
    12 years ago

eleonor, thanks for reviving an old thread to spam us!

The OP's bags are cute, now I have another thing to add to my list of stuff to make....

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, glad to see this post came back up! I lost my original link and am happy to have it again!
    Kathy G in MI

• ruthieg__tx
    10 years ago

What a great way to make a bag ...Love the pocket idea..

Old post I know but so timely at the moment.

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad it came back up again. I haven't made any in quite a while and am down to 2. May have to make more.