Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schnurke

How to handle fabric while sewing...

schnurke
11 years ago

Hello. I am a new sewer. I am starting with quilted pillow covers, square patches--very simple, I understand. I have a mentor, but she has limited time and I am looking to connect with more people about the basics. All I'm wondering is, what exactly should I be doing with both hands while sewing the straight line? I could really use direction. How firmly should my left hand be down on the fabric? And how do you guide without pushing? And, do you or don't you use your right hand up there with everything (or is it to be down below)? I will appreciate any advice, thank you. - Karen

Comments (7)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was taught to sew with the left hand guiding the fabric from behind and the right hand guiding the fabric from the front. You don't want to push or pull, but move along evenly with the pace of the machine...it is to keep the fabric moving evenly and not create tension on the part of the fabric that is going under the needle.

The most important thing mother taught me (she was a sewing teacher) was don't look at the needle....it's going to do what it's going to do. Instead you need to be watching ahead of the needle to make sure you are guiding the fabric in straight so you will sew a straight line....esp important when you are working with only a 1/4" seam allowance. You want to make sure the edges of both pieces of fabric are even.....otherwise you can catch the top one, and miss the bottom piece, leaving a hole.

• schnurke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to both of you! I am anxious as well about how much pressure to put down with the left hand...It is very helpful to know not to watch the needle. I am so new, this is really good advice. Lazygardens, I was confused by your mentioning that the bulk of the fabric is to the right. The sewing I am doing, it is on the left. Sorry--I was just confused by that. Thank you again!!!

• jomuir
    11 years ago

what both prev. posters said. Also, youtube has some very good stuff, you may find a video or 2 that will help you learn your technique.

I used to tell people to kind of 'sit on their hands', not really, but to remind them not to fight the machine & fabric. Sew some scraps, with dif. tension in dif. places, really gives a feel for what you're doing & what works. I sew a scrap of self-fabric first always, tests needle, thread/bobbin, do i need a dif. stitch, etc.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

The first project Mother taught me to sew on was a pillow case on a cotton gingham fabric. The check is the easiest to work with to practice straight lines. The pillow case is all straight lines and making french seams also was good practice.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Schnurke ... my typo! The bulk of the fabric is to my left.

And, my right hand is usually in line with the needle, about 6 inches in front of it.

• schnurke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really appreciate all of this useful info, everyone. Thank you so much. - Karen